Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hearing Morris may not implement his full playbook in year 1

Started by checkraiser88, March 05, 2018, 06:50:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on March 06, 2018, 07:29:54 am
Crap, if he knows who will be starting on the o-line by late September he will be ahead of the curve.
Well he certainly will as compared to our last HC who over the past couple of years didn't seem to really know until the very end of the season (if that).

TexHog188

"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

LZH

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 05, 2018, 07:03:27 pm
Seriously though, it wouldn't be surprising. I'll bet he gets more of it in than not. Just keep in mind that his first year at SMU they generated 382.8 yds of total offense. Year 2 = 427.3, year 3 = 478.5. It takes time to implement new schemes and have the talent to run those schemes effectively. The more important contribution will come from the defense and how quickly Chavis can make the defense turn the corner. We have talent, it just needs to be schemed in a better way.

Does he run a lot of Tampa 2? I seem to remember, vs Mallett, LSU playing two lots of cover two with a LB dropping deep on passes.

PorkRinds

AugustaHog

Quote from: rhames on March 06, 2018, 07:32:58 am

Those of us predicting 5 or 6 wins will be labeled as haters and trolls
Just curious, who do you expect those 5-6 wins to be against?  I would think with the non-conf schedule, 6 wins is very attainable, even if you aren't bullish on this year's team.  I am fully aware of all the flaws that exist and the issues of having a new coach presents, but I expect W's vs. CSU and the cupcakes.  There's 4.  Out of MSU, Mizzou, OM, Vandy, and TAMU, I expect 2 wins to be the bare minimum.  I think my expectations of a bowl game are fairly reasonable, mostly because of the schedule and not because I see some renaissance in this first year.  Anything over 6 wins is gravy, and something to build on for next year.

clutch

Quote from: PorkSoda on March 05, 2018, 07:01:05 pm
do you know how long his playbook is?

I've heard something in the neighborhood of 600 pages. 

so no, he is not going to "implement his full play book"

He is going to implement the plays he expects to use out of his play book.

I've got a partial copy of his playbook and it's over 100 pages. So I'm not shocked at all. The thing is, the playbooks are long page wise, but the reason is because there are so many different variations of each play. You can run an IZ run and have RPO's tagged on and it turns it into about 8-10 different plays, depending on how they want the WR's to run it. It's going to be the same for the linemen and the back, but the WR's will have different routes tagged on. So it eats up a lot of pages putting all the different versions in.

For example, you can have a trips called. You can run your quick game stuff with the outside, middle or inside man. So there's 3 different versions. You can have one of the 3 block for quick game. So you can add 2 or 3 more options with each of them being the blocker. You can change up the deep route option. You can change up the slant or flat option. There's just so much you can do with each play passing game wise that one play can turn into 20 plays in a playbook.

It's really not that hard to grasp once the WR's get the verbiage down. It's usually one word calls and they should know their routes based off that word.

Silver Hog

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Silver Hog on March 07, 2018, 11:26:29 am
Still better than TCTWF and senor bert's playbook.

Actually, Bert's first half--and certainly his first possession--playbook was good.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

bennyl08

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on March 07, 2018, 12:30:29 pm
Actually, Bert's first half--and certainly his first possession--playbook was good.

haha

With the coaches we've had, it could be fun to make a sort of Franken-coach. Something like Bielema gets to be coach for the first possession, Willy Robinson becomes the DC, but only in the second half...
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

rhames

Quote from: AugustaHog on March 07, 2018, 07:46:28 am
Just curious, who do you expect those 5-6 wins to be against?  I would think with the non-conf schedule, 6 wins is very attainable, even if you aren't bullish on this year's team.  I am fully aware of all the flaws that exist and the issues of having a new coach presents, but I expect W's vs. CSU and the cupcakes.  There's 4.  Out of MSU, Mizzou, OM, Vandy, and TAMU, I expect 2 wins to be the bare minimum.  I think my expectations of a bowl game are fairly reasonable, mostly because of the schedule and not because I see some renaissance in this first year.  Anything over 6 wins is gravy, and something to build on for next year.

Sure

Three cup cakes

CSU will be tough. It's on the road. They will be jacked up. Most likely the hogs win but it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't trying to get the kinks worked out.

The next most winnable game is ole miss.

Every one will be quick to write off vandy, but that is a challenging game. A good defensive team that has been in the same system for a few season vs an arkansas team learning a new scheme. Hogs can get the W but it's a 50/50 game in my mind. Maybe give the edge to vandy at this point.

Those are the games Arkansas has a chance/could win.

I think the hogs will have to have things go extremely their way for a shot at Missouri and Mississippi state. Even more so for A&M and LSU. Those are all loses in my mind at the moment.

No chance of beating Auburn or Bama.

I've said before I see this season being extremely similar to Petrino's first year. The team will be better and better each week.  Just not sure how that will equate for more than 5 or 6 wins.

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

DeltaBoy

6 plays and 12 formations it will work like Novocaine. 
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: PonderinHog on March 06, 2018, 07:55:04 am
And a few years ago Bielema walked in and passed out.  Big difference!

+1

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 06, 2018, 11:51:26 pm
I think Gus only used three plays last year.

Run left, run right, run middle.

I don't know if Morris' offense has several hundred plays...OR a bunch of different formations and shifts to disguise them. In a lot of the SMU film I watched since his hiring, that's what it looked like. One guy doing a variation can make a play look totally different.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Cotton

Quote from: DeltaBoy on March 07, 2018, 02:20:52 pm

6 plays and 12 formations it will work like Novocaine.
Dammit you beat me to it!!

Well done Delt.
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Vantage 8 dude

Frankly if we can run a couple dozen plays to perfection then I think that would be GREAT progress the first year. Let's get the ones they can absorb and do it to the absolute best of their ability before we worry about how many plays out of the playbook these kids can run.

247Hog

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on March 06, 2018, 07:29:54 am
Crap, if he knows who will be starting on the o-line by late September he will be ahead of the curve.

+1
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

liljo

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on March 07, 2018, 03:16:22 pm
Frankly if we can run a couple dozen plays to perfection then I think that would be GREAT progress the first year. Let's get the ones they can absorb and do it to the absolute best of their ability before we worry about how many plays out of the playbook these kids can run.

Agreed. It's not going to be about how many plays we can run. It's going to be about how many we can execute with precision.

Hogville: A place where Hog fans gather to discuss all things Razorbacks in peace.