Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Academic Record

Started by ATU HOG, November 08, 2017, 02:36:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BoynamedWooPigSooie

The one thing Jeff Long brags about doing right is still the bottom of the barrel in the SEC.

What a disaster.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

ricepig

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on November 08, 2017, 05:51:57 pm
The one thing Jeff Long brags about doing right is still the bottom of the barrel in the SEC.

What a disaster.

So......move to a different conference??

HoggyCat

Quote from: factchecker on November 08, 2017, 03:28:13 pm
The graduate success rate has improved almost every year Jeff has been here.  They have to update this graphic to include this recent increase.

While you're at it, go check facts on how much every school's GSR has increased the past several years. It's a matter of rules now. Everyone's is increasing. LSU is up 21 points since 2008. So go check it out for us and be sore to get back and tell us your findings..... unless it shoots holes in ya boy's half truth.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

HoggyCat

Quote from: ricepig on November 08, 2017, 05:53:07 pm

No.  Just fire Jeffi. I couldn't care less what the numbers are as long as they're within the rules.

RME

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on November 08, 2017, 05:51:57 pm

What a disaster.

That's not at all what he's bragging about. He's bragging about the current student-athletes accomplishing something no other group of student-athletes has done before at the University of Arkansas.

ricepig

Quote from: HoggyCat on November 08, 2017, 05:59:41 pm
No.  Just fire Jeffi. I couldn't care less what the numbers are as long as they're within the rules.

Well, the higher the student graduation rate, the more money institutions of higher learning will receive under the state's new funding formula, so every little bit helps.

Marshfieldhog

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on November 08, 2017, 06:07:20 pm
That's not at all what he's bragging about. He's bragging about the current student-athletes accomplishing something no other group of student-athletes has done before at the University of Arkansas.

No he isn't, it's is way to tell us things are more important than winning. He said it himself a few years back. Problem is we are the bottom dwellers in the W/L column and academics when compared to our peers.

RME

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on November 08, 2017, 06:09:59 pm
No he isn't, it's is way to tell us things are more important than winning. He said it himself a few years back. Problem is we are the bottom dwellers in the W/L column and academics when compared to our peers.

Sure thang, Rumplestiltskin.

HoggyCat

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on November 08, 2017, 06:12:03 pm
Sure thang, Rumplestiltskin.

@jefflongUA: "I believe in ICA & Higher Ed there are ideals more important than Wins & Losses. If the leaders don't set the example...who will?"

RME

Quote from: HoggyCat on November 08, 2017, 06:13:28 pm
@jefflongUA: "I believe in ICA & Higher Ed there are ideals more important than Wins & Losses. If the leaders don't set the example...who will?"

You folks will just bitch about anything.

Depressive cynics.

I'm cynical as hell, but I see the light sometimes. You people just find anything in your own damn life to be depressed and bitch about.

Tusks

Quote from: ricepig on November 08, 2017, 06:08:47 pm
Well, the higher the student graduation rate, the more money institutions of higher learning will receive under the state's new funding formula, so every little bit helps.

So again it's all about money without having to produce on the field.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Tusks

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on November 08, 2017, 06:18:44 pm

Depressive cynics.

I'm cynical as hell, but I see the light sometimes. You people just find anything in your own damn life to be depressed and bitch about.

And I think you'd bitch about anything just to argue with a signpost.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

RME

Quote from: tusked on November 08, 2017, 06:30:37 pm
And I think you'd bitch about anything just to argue with a signpost.

Ohhh that's rich coming from the people who are bitching about positive progress in the graduation rate of University of Arkansas student-athletes.

Ham Sandwich

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on November 08, 2017, 06:18:44 pm

Depressive cynics.

We are improving like everyone of our peers bc it's mandatory across the board now. Yet, we are still dead last to schools I'm sure he considers "win at all cost" programs. Who are these "win at all cost" programs, any way? I'd be willing to bet those schools that win big consistently also have a better academics consistently than we do. It's an asinine way to put things on his part.

There's nothing wrong with being proud of improving something that HAS to be improved, but the way he puts things rubs some the wrong way.

He certainly has made it clear the average fan doesn't mean darn to him, too. There are reasons people are tired of the shtick. Play dumb all you want and continue to play the white Knight role to the best of your abilities though.

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Hawgphish

ricepig

Quote from: tusked on November 08, 2017, 06:29:37 pm
So again it's all about money without having to produce on the field.

That's it exactly.

RME

Quote from: Ham Sandwich on November 08, 2017, 06:34:54 pm
We are improving like everyone of our peers bc it's mandatory across the board now. Yet, we are still dead last to schools I'm sure he considers "win at all cost" programs. Who are these "win at all cost" programs, any way? I'd be willing to bet those schools that win big consistently also have a better academics consistently than we do. It's an asinine way to put things on his part.

There's nothing wrong with being proud of improving something that HAS to be improved, but the way he puts things rubs some the wrong way.

He certainly has made it clear the average fan doesn't mean darn to him, too. There are reasons people are tired of the shtick. Play dumb all you want and continue to play the white Knight role to the best of your abilities though.

Will do, reincarnation of HamSammich!

Speaking of, where is that guy? Kinda miss his stupidity.

hoglady

Quote from: Razorbackers on November 08, 2017, 03:33:42 pm
Good god folks.

“Yes, winning is important,” he said. “Now contrast that if you’re a win-at-all-cost program which we’re not and I’ve said many, many times we’re not, then you don’t worry about the academics, you don’t worry about the conduct, you just win.

“And you know what? When I arrived here 10 years ago, that’s not what the leaders wanted at the time and certainly that’s certainly not what we’ve delivered.

“Yes, we want to win. Yes, it’s a priority. Yes, it eats us up from the inside that we don’t win more.”

That statement insinuates other programs we are up against are "win at all costs" programs - which obviously they aren't, they whip us on the field and in the classroom.

That's what rubs folks the wrong way - trying to act like we are so superior to these other programs.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Ham Sandwich

Quote from: hoglady on November 08, 2017, 06:47:31 pm
That statement insinuates other programs we are up against are "win at all costs" programs - which obviously they aren't, they whip us on the field and in the classroom.

That's what rubs folks the wrong way - trying to act like we are so superior to these other programs.

Exactly. Every program he considers "win at all cost" are very, very likely better academic institutions too. It was stupid as hell for him to say that.

Cure

So complaining about kids graduating is what's up?
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

HoggyCat

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on November 08, 2017, 06:32:34 pm
Ohhh that's rich coming from the people who are bitching about positive progress in the graduation rate of University of Arkansas student-athletes.

If there wasn't progress across the entire conference, then he could brag.

go hogues

This thread's just missing gchamblee and Hogsanity for what is left of the Jeff Long fan club...

Bottom line - a hearty congrats to our student athletes on the milestone but it's not a great look on Jeff Long's part to create an "academics first" brand for our sports program and then be dead last in the conference in academics.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

factchecker

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on November 08, 2017, 06:43:51 pm
Speaking of, where is that guy? Kinda miss his stupidity.

Celebrating the longhorns national championship.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Tarheelhawg

Quote from: factchecker on November 08, 2017, 03:28:13 pm
The graduate success rate has improved almost every year Jeff has been here.  They have to update this graphic to include this recent increase.

Well, if we can keep Bielema and Long , then next year the grad rate will likely increase by 1 or maybe 2 percent. That rocks! The silver lining ....

factchecker

Quote from: Tarheelhawg on November 08, 2017, 07:40:21 pm
Well, if we can keep Bielema and Long , then next year the grad rate will likely increase by 1 or maybe 2 percent. That rocks! The silver lining ....

I think the increase started well before Bielema.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

island hog

Quote from: hawgon on November 08, 2017, 03:52:59 pm
So we're still last in academics and a senior leader shoplifted from out bowl sponsor?  So, now we are last in wins, academics, and our conduct sucks too.  Great job, Jeff.
I read your takes and, although I don't always see eye to eye with you, I respect your angle and opinion. This post though says that you're too blinded by Jeff hate to be supportive and give any credit to the student-athletes for bringing their school work to levels the university has never seen.  You do know that the player was suspended and couldn't play in the bowl game too...

Tarheelhawg

Quote from: factchecker on November 08, 2017, 07:41:20 pm
So, I think you are saying that Bielema is not uncommon but possibly Long is uncommon?

Bubba's Bruisers

Can't complain about increasing graduation rates.  Just need to figure out a way to continue increasing that and improving on the field...like all of our peers.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

island hog

Quote from: HoggyCat on November 08, 2017, 07:18:05 pm
If there wasn't progress across the entire conference, then he could brag.

You see it as bragging.... I see it as congratulating. 

Poop Hoggy Hogg

Quote from: cjack on November 08, 2017, 04:08:32 pm
I have a couple diplomas, but I don't feel the need to mention them on a message board.

But, you just.... nevermind

ricepig

Correct, this year's rate is based on students who enrolled in 2007-2010.

factchecker

Quote from: Tarheelhawg on November 08, 2017, 07:50:41 pm
So, I think you are saying that Bielema is not uncommon but possibly Long is uncommon?

I don't think it's uncommon at all.

The Razorback athletic department made an effort to improve academics and we've done so.

I think a huge contribution to these improvements was the significant donations from Jerry Jones and others which helped us build a great academic facility.

I'm glad that one of my fellow alumni understands the importance of academics.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

pigz

You guys have a good time frig dancing

go hogues

I don't think anyone here is discrediting the success rate of our student athletes. At least, I hope no one is.

I think people are perplexed that Jeff has gone out of his way so many times to trump up academics and "wins/losses" secondary. You see him doing that and the perception is that we're out front or challenging for the front of the SEC academic race. So much so that you still see people on here asking "if we end up with five wins, you think we could still get a bowl invite, like MSU did last year with their academics?" - a fair question given the brand image being presented by the AD.

When you see that we are not only bringing up the rear in football but also academics (in what is widely regarded as a joke of an academic conference anyway) I think that's what causes the negative reactions toward Jeff Long that you are seeing in this thread.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

LAGNAF

Quote from: Cotton on November 08, 2017, 03:05:31 pm
If you made a 17 on the ACT and improved to a 19 and the rest of your friends made 24 plus would you be happy at UACCM in Morrilton?

You tell us
Quote from: Cotton on November 08, 2017, 03:20:49 pm
Didn't want you to have to google it. 

Sad that you would be happy with a sub-par ACT school, and in my scenario you'll be visiting your friends on the Hill while you live at home with mom during the week.

Some people are okay with mediocrity, not me. 

What does mediocrity have to do with congratulating academic achievement?

PorkRinds

Quote from: go hogues on November 08, 2017, 08:53:16 pm
I don't think anyone here is discrediting the success rate of our student athletes. At least, I hope no one is.

I think people are perplexed that Jeff has gone out of his way so many times to trump up academics and "wins/losses" secondary. You see him doing that and the perception is that we're out front or challenging for the front of the SEC academic race. So much so that you still see people on here asking "if we end up with five wins, you think we could still get a bowl invite, like MSU did last year with their academics?" - a fair question given the brand image being presented by the AD.

When you see that we are not only bringing up the rear in football but also academics (in what is widely regarded as a joke of an academic conference anyway) I think that's what causes the negative reactions toward Jeff Long that you are seeing in this thread.
Have you read the thread? Lots of people are doing exactly what you think they aren't doing.

hoglady

Quote from: island hog on November 08, 2017, 07:55:45 pm
You see it as bragging.... I see it as congratulating. 

Hasn't Long been inactive on twitter for weeks??
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think he even tweeted a congratulations to the women's soccer team for making the SEC finals, did he??

Bottom line - many of the fans don't trust Jeff Long or his motives and view the tweet as self serving.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

RedRock

Will this Jeff Long and Brett Bielema nightmare end?

Tarheelhawg

Quote from: factchecker on November 08, 2017, 08:13:40 pm
I don't think it's uncommon at all.

The Razorback athletic department made an effort to improve academics and we've done so.

I think a huge contribution to these improvements was the significant donations from Jerry Jones and others which helped us build a great academic facility.

I'm glad that one of my fellow alumni understands the importance of academics.
I think this is an "uncommon" commitment to the  academic success by the alumni which deserves some uncommon results on the field. 

sowmonella

Quote from: Cotton on November 08, 2017, 03:05:31 pm
If you made a 17 on the ACT and improved to a 19 and the rest of your friends made 24 plus would you be happy at UACCM in Morrilton?
Not sure. Did you enjoy your 5 years there?
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Quote from: ricepig on November 08, 2017, 05:53:07 pm

naw, whole different classification.   FCS here we come.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

factchecker

Quote from: Tarheelhawg on November 08, 2017, 09:52:50 pm
I think this is an "uncommon" commitment to the  academic success by the alumni which deserves some uncommon results on the field.

No doubt.

We are blessed to have Jerry Jones in our network.  I hope the Razorbacks give him something (and the rest of us) something to be proud of soon.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

WBOBO

Quote from: ricepig on November 08, 2017, 04:04:20 pm
You do realize that our student athletes have a higher graduation rate than the general student population of the university? I'd be more concerned why they are so low, than where we rate in the conference.
Probably because the general student population of the university
is on Hogville griping about the current situation in football rather than studying for World Civ. or whatever they study now in school.  I would love
to see the production and quality control reports at manufacturing facilities the Monday after a Hog loss versus a win in the state.

This state is not happy and they see next year in the mirror with the current staff.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

bennyl08

Quote from: go hogues on November 08, 2017, 08:53:16 pm

There's definitely a couple posters who have explicitly complained about the success of the students in this thread.

I haven't actually counted (and won't) but it certainly a feels like a majority of those complaining in this thread are 100% dismissing what the students have done. I.e. not just a "congrats to the students but I feel like Long is using this to brag/deflect/whatever negative I have with long". No, there's a lot who are saying that this is something that even the students shouldn't be happy about (literally every post about being last in the SEC).

As for the Jeff Long hate, if he were to say that oxygen is good, easily 2/3rds of hogville would subsequently die from asphyxiation. Heck, he could probably resign and you have hogville calling for him to stay simply because of their new LDS religion, Long Derangement Syndrome.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: factchecker on November 08, 2017, 03:19:15 pm
When the GSR was as low as 60 under the previous administration (in 2005).... it's something to brag about.
They were jumping to the league, or getting shown the door. They weren't graduating with 17 minutes of special teams play n their 5th yr... I'm just sayin'...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

factchecker

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on November 08, 2017, 10:47:58 pm
They were jumping to the league, or getting shown the door. They weren't graduating with 17 minutes of special teams play n their 5th yr... I'm just sayin'...

What are you talking about?

You realize the GSR involves the whole athletic department...... right?

It's not just the football team.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: factchecker on November 08, 2017, 10:50:03 pm
What are you talking about?

You realize the GSR involves the whole athletic department...... right?

It's not just the football team.

No I didn't. Then who's to say where we stand with Bret? As far as Long, it's better, but it's not braggin' good...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

factchecker

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on November 08, 2017, 10:54:19 pm
No I didn't.

Why make that comment if you don't understand what the GSR is?

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on November 08, 2017, 10:54:19 pm
Then who's to say where we stand with Bret?

Yeah.... that's why I said this:

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: factchecker on November 08, 2017, 10:58:02 pm
Why make that comment if you don't understand what the GSR is?

Yeah.... that's why I said this:

Why do you care. It's obvious that I owned up to it, but my incorrect assumption to the post I quoted was several lines before your's. I didn't read that far, and Just using simple deductive reasoning I assumed that people were discussing the football GSR since it was in MMQB and CBB was being mentioned. Forgive me for my misunderstanding. I'll go to another thread where I can make booger jokes and let the grown ups discuss this topic. Hopefully the next person will read from the bottom up and not make the same mistake I did. And if you quote me again I will be seeing you at the alma Sonic...  ;)