Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

so far Arkansas has had a good year in sports .

Started by tophawg19, March 04, 2017, 07:39:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

tophawg19

Football team -bowl game -check
Basketball team- NCAA tourney - check
Baseball team is off to a good start
Track teams are always in the top .
overall a good season
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

BloodRedHog

Handling all your mortgage and home financing needs...

Wildhog

Making a bowl game is a pretty low standard these days.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Tusks

yeah I think the football team should be reaching for more than a belk bowl meltdown.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

onebadrubi

Things Arkansas should not consider success at merely making a bowl or making the tourney.  Using thise things as a barometer do not meet the criteria for the label success. What was Dave Van horns records for NCAA tourney appearances that was snapped last year?  Diamond hogs making super regionals and Omaha every couple of years is success! 

But to say because Bielema makes a bowl and Mike gets the basketball team in his six year in the Tourney, we have a higher bar than thag

onebadrubi

Quote from: tusked on March 04, 2017, 09:43:05 pm
yeah I think the football team should be reaching for more than a belk bowl meltdown.

The basketball team should not be sweating a tourney invite around valentines day

coach, my back hurts

Yeah it is great to have something to look forward to 10 months out the year until baseball season ends.  Or at least college baseball ends.

Although we aren't top 10 any of the 3 sports, we do expect bowl games, regional/super reg, and ncaat each year.

I'm sure most schools expect that, but what actually happens, is two different things.

The only other schools that have a shot in all 3 each season are Florida and SCar.

One school that stands out to me is Louisville.  They have been pretty good in all 3 for some time now.

HamSammich

Being horse kicked in the nutts by va tech in a bowl that will never be remembered..... but yeah sure. Make that story fit your fantasy.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: HamSammich on March 05, 2017, 12:56:08 am
Being horse kicked in the nutts by va tech in a bowl that will never be remembered..... but yeah sure. Make that story fit your fantasy.

SPORTS! Not solely football or badminton for that matter.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

sickboy

Quote from: onebadrubi on March 04, 2017, 11:24:57 pm
The basketball team should not be sweating a tourney invite around valentines day

That's just silly. The only teams that were locks to be tourney teams at Valentines Day this year were top 15 teams. I love Arkansas basketball as much as the next guy, but we've still gotta get past a decade and a half of irrelevance to say that Arkansas should expect to be a top 15 team every year. Let's not get it twisted.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: coach, my back hurts on March 04, 2017, 11:36:03 pm
Yeah it is great to have something to look forward to 10 months out the year until baseball season ends.  Or at least college baseball ends.

Although we aren't top 10 any of the 3 sports, we do expect bowl games, regional/super reg, and ncaat each year.

I'm sure most schools expect that, but what actually happens, is two different things.

The only other schools that have a shot in all 3 each season are Florida and SCar.

One school that stands out to me is Louisville.  They have been pretty good in all 3 for some time now.

I'll say this for Louisville football, as "successful" as everyone feels that they have been, over the last 4 years they have shared the dubious distinction of being one of the P-5 teams that have beaten only 1 ranked team. They share this achievement with teams like Virginia, Duke, Syracuse, Wake Forest, Boston College, Texas Tech, Nebraska, Oregon State, Colorado, Miss State and finally Kentucky. And Kentucky's only win in the last 4 years over a ranked team was against (guess who?), Louisville.
Go Hogs Go!

onebadrubi

Quote from: sickboy on March 05, 2017, 03:08:49 am
That's just silly. The only teams that were locks to be tourney teams at Valentines Day this year were top 15 teams. I love Arkansas basketball as much as the next guy, but we've still gotta get past a decade and a half of irrelevance to say that Arkansas should expect to be a top 15 team every year. Let's not get it twisted.

You did not have to be a top 15 team mid February to know you were going danccing.

HiggiePiggy

Actually football was last year so this year has started out pretty good for the Razorbacks with the basketball team making it to the Dance.  Second could be the baseball team making it deep into the tournament and then the football team getting a 8 regular win season topped off with a bowl win to make a 9-4 season. 

So so far this year has been pretty good. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

BigSexyHog

Quote from: Wildhog on March 04, 2017, 09:29:52 pm

Yep, I agree.  We underachieved big time.

Quote from: tusked on March 04, 2017, 09:43:05 pm

Agree
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

bennyl08

Quote from: BigSexyHog on March 05, 2017, 10:48:17 am
Yep, I agree.  We underachieved big time.

Agree

What did you expect the football team to do before the season ever kicked off? I though 7-5 was the most likely given how much we were losing from the previous year though 9-3 was possible, albeit I would have considered that an overachieving year. We ended doing what most of us expected overall, and it's only disappointing in that we did overachieve most of the year only to fall short at the very end.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

sickboy

Quote from: onebadrubi on March 05, 2017, 09:29:45 am
You did not have to be a top 15 team mid February to know you were going danccing.

Statistically, you did.

For example... here's the Bubble Watch for February 14.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bubblewatch/_/id/195

Al Boarland

Quote from: onebadrubi on March 04, 2017, 11:24:19 pm
Things Arkansas should not consider success at merely making a bowl or making the tourney.  Using thise things as a barometer do not meet the criteria for the label success. What was Dave Van horns records for NCAA tourney appearances that was snapped last year?  Diamond hogs making super regionals and Omaha every couple of years is success! 

But to say because Bielema makes a bowl and Mike gets the basketball team in his six year in the Tourney, we have a higher bar than thag

Success

onebadrubi

Quote from: sickboy on March 05, 2017, 12:09:24 pm
Statistically, you did.

For example... here's the Bubble Watch for February 14.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bubblewatch/_/id/195

VCU
Ok st
Creighton
Xavier
Butler
Purdue
Maryland
Minnesota
Michigan
Michigan st

I can keep going.  These teams listed were sitting in a position on valentines day that they would have to collapse to not be in the tourney.  They handled themselves in out of conference and early in conference to set themselves up for the tourney baring a collapse similar to South Carolina last year. 

tophawg19

not if you play in the SEC west. where half your games are against ranked teams
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: tophawg19 on March 05, 2017, 08:55:51 pm
not if you play in the SEC west. where half your games are against ranked teams

20 ranked teams in the last 4 years. Ole Miss played 20 as well and Alabama played 22. Those are the most in the SEC. The only other team of any of the P-5 conferences to have played 20 ranked teams in the last 4 years is Stanford.
Go Hogs Go!

lumphog

I just checked my crystal ball & you guys are gonna FREAK on the 18 football recruiting class 

FANONTHEHILL

March 05, 2017, 10:51:50 pm #21 Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 07:07:39 am by FANONTHEHILL
Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 05, 2017, 09:04:58 pm
20 ranked teams in the last 4 years. Ole Miss played 20 as well and Alabama played 22. Those are the most in the SEC. The only other team of any of the P-5 conferences to have played 20 ranked teams in the last 4 years is Stanford.

We see a lot of folks post here that the only acceptable win total every year is a minimum of 9 or 10.  While that level of success would be amazing for the program, the reality is that in the 25 seasons since Arkansas joined the SEC, there have been 6 seasons with 9 or more wins.  Consider the SEC West in the last 5 years.  Bama is Bama and consistently brings in the best classes each year.  Auburn and LSU have brought in similar classes and have had great levels of success in recent years, but even then Arkansas has split with them. Mississippi State has had the best player in the history of their program at QB and as soon as he moved on, Arkansas was able to beat them. Ole Miss fielded the best teams that money could buy in the history of their program and will continue to lose ground. Texas A&M has recruited well, but there is no way Arkansas should have the type of losing streak against them that they do. 

Expecting 8-9 wins a year is something that Arkansas' program should strive for.  If you expect 8-9, some years you'll catch the breaks and the 8-9 can become 10-11.  Unfortunately, when there are let downs the 8-9 becomes 6-7.
This let down is what they have to learn to avoid.  Take 2016 for example.

I talk to my son every day and ask about the the mental status of the team.
I ask who is playing where in drills in the new defense?
Who will step up at Left Tackle?
How do the new JUCO receivers look?
The three early enrollees on the OL?
How are the new coaches on defense relating to everyone?
What's everyone's attitude?

I won't go in to depth chart and who is working where.  When spring ball starts and the coaches want that made public, it will happen. 

I will say this about the team's spring workouts to this point.  He tells me that everything is different.  He tells me that you can tell that everyone on this roster was brought here by Coach Bielema and it shows.  Last year, on an almost weekly basis, at least one player would be late for one of the workout and everyone would be punished.  That hasn't happen this spring a single time. 
Last year the strength staff had to give general instructions numerous times and couldn't focus on the finest of details.  Not the case this spring.  Everyone is all in and it is paying dividends.  Herbert is getting the same level of dedication from the players to him that he has to the players. 

There have videos posted of the mat drills and completions that are done each Tuesday.  My son tells me to a man that the players say it's the hardest thing they've ever done.  Being a father of a player, I don't like it when the players are bashed in these boards.  I however, will tell my son what I think.  I told him to remember that Tuesday's may be the hardest thing he's ever done, but watching Auburn, A&M, and the last two second half performances of 2016 were just about the hardest thing the Razorback fan base has ever done.  The work that they are putting in will improve the physical as well mental toughness this fall. 

I think folks will be very pleased when you see Coach Rhoads defense in action.  It's amazing the difference it will make when the players have a leader that they respect and they will do anything for. 

I also think we may see more of the Dan Enos from Central Michigan offense.  Things are going to open up a little bit.

The last time I saw the coaching staff, the AD, and the players together was in the lobby of the Hilton in Charlotte.  The graduating seniors were down, but the AD, coaches, and underclassmen were pissed.  I think they're carrying that feeling with the this spring an it's a good thing.  I recently watched the SEC Network documentary "Before They Were Cowboys" about Jerry Jones and Jimmy Johnson.  It focuses heavily on the 1964 season.  But just as important was the 1963 season.  Arkansas was picked to win the SWC.  Arkansas finished the 11 game season 5-5-1.  (I'm sure that if Hogville would have been around, everyone would have called for Broyles' head)  The point is that the team came together in the Spring after a disappointing season.  The seniors at that time were excused from full pads in the Spring, but chose to dedicate themselves and took part in the full Spring practice.  I'm not saying that Arkansas is going to win the National Championship this fall.  I am saying that there is a renewed sense of urgency from the players this Spring.  Many have said that player leadership was lacking last season. This is Austin's team and everyone knows it. Frank will take up any slack and leads by example as well.  This is already happening in meetings.  Sosa, Greenlaw, and Liddell will lead the defense. 

There is not a player on this roster that Coach Bielema didn't bring here.  They haven't been able to redshirt as many as they would have liked, but so be it. There have been schematic and staff changes this offseason.  The players feel the sense of urgency are more focused and this offseason.  Three weeks from tomorrow Spring practice begins.  Everyone inside the program is "All In" and I think that we will see the results this fall. It's only 179 days until Florida A&M on August 31st at WMS.  It has been a good year and it's going to get even better.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

sickboy

Quote from: onebadrubi on March 05, 2017, 06:26:15 pm
VCU
Ok st
Creighton
Xavier
Butler
Purdue
Maryland
Minnesota
Michigan
Michigan st

I can keep going.  These teams listed were sitting in a position on valentines day that they would have to collapse to not be in the tourney.  They handled themselves in out of conference and early in conference to set themselves up for the tourney baring a collapse similar to South Carolina last year. 

Come on. The Hogs had better record/resume than Michigan, Michigan State at V-Day. If you're gonna throw them in the mix, you might as well put the Hogs in the same category. Either way, all those teams, including Arkansas, had games to win to reach the tourney. And by the way -- VCU and Xavier still aren't locks to get into the tourney.

With how weak the SEC is -- for Arkansas to be a tournament lock on Valentine's Day, that means they're top 15 team. If you think Arkansas should be a top 15 team and anything less is unacceptable... then I think your expectations are skewed based on the last 20 years of Arkansas basketball.

Can we get there? Absolutely. But we're not there.

gchamblee

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on March 05, 2017, 10:51:50 pm
We see a lot of folks post here that the only acceptable win total every year is a minimum of 9 or 10.  While that level of success would be amazing for the program, the reality is that in the 25 seasons since Arkansas joined the SEC, there have been 6 seasons with 9 or more wins.  Consider the SEC West in the last 5 years.  Bama is Bama and consistently brings in the best classes each year.  Auburn and LSU have brought in similar classes and have had great levels of success in recent years, but even then Arkansas has split with them. Mississippi State has had the best player in the history of their program at QB and as soon as he moved on, Arkansas was able to beat them. Ole Miss fielded the best teams that money could buy in the history of their program and will continue to lose ground. Texas A&M has recruited well, but there is no way Arkansas should have the type of losing streak against them that they do. 

Expecting 8-9 wins a year is something that Arkansas' program should strive for.  If you expect 8-9, some years you'll catch the breaks and the 8-9 can become 10-11.  Unfortunately, when there are let downs the 8-9 becomes 6-7.
This let down is what they have to lead to avoid.  Take 2016 for example.

I won't go in to depth chart and who is working where.  When spring ball starts and the coaches want that made public, it will happen. 

I will say this about the team's spring workouts to this point.  He tells me that everything is different.  He tells me that you can tell that everyone on this roster was brought here by Coach Bielema and it shows.  Last year, on an almost weekly basis, at least one player would be late for one of the workout and everyone would be punished.  That hasn't happen this spring a single time. 
Last year the strength staff had to give general instructions numerous times and couldn't focus on the finest of details.  Not the case this spring.  Everyone is all in and it is paying dividends.  Herbert is getting the same level of dedication from the players to him that he has to the players. 

There have videos posted of the mat drills and completions that are done each Tuesday.  My son tells me to a man that the players say it's the hardest thing they've ever done.  Being a father of a player, I don't like it when the players are bashed in these boards.  I however, will tell my son what I think.  I told him to remember that Tuesday's may be the hardest thing he's ever done, but watching Auburn, A&M, and the last two second half performances of 2016 were just about the hardest thing the Razorback fan base has ever done.  The work that they are putting in will improve the physical as well mental toughness this fall. 

I think folks will be very pleased when you see Coach Rhoads defense in action.  It's amazing the difference it will make when the players have a leader that they respect and they will do anything for. 

I also think we may see more of the Dan Enos from Central Michigan offense.  Things are going to open up a little bit.

The last time I saw the coaching staff, the AD, and the players together was in the lobby of the Hilton in Charlotte.  The graduating seniors were down, but the AD, coaches, and underclassmen were pissed.  I think they're carrying that feeling with the this spring an it's a good thing.  I recently watched the SEC Network documentary "Before They Were Cowboys" about Jerry Jones and Jimmy Johnson.  It focuses heavily on the 1964 season.  But just as important was the 1963 season.  Arkansas was picked to win the SWC.  Arkansas finished the 11 game season 5-5-1.  (I'm sure that if Hogville would have been around, everyone would have called for Broyles' head)  The point is that the team came together in the Spring after a disappointing season.  The seniors at that time were excused from full pads in the Spring, but chose to dedicate themselves and took part in the full Spring practice.  I'm not saying that Arkansas is going to win the National Championship this fall.  I am saying that there is a renewed sense of urgency from the players this Spring.  Many have said that player leadership was lacking last season. This is Austin's team and everyone knows it. Frank will take up any slack and leads by example as well.  This is already happening in meetings.  Sosa, Greenlaw, and Liddell will lead the defense. 

There is not a player on this roster that Coach Bielema didn't bring here.  They haven't been able to redshirt as many as they would have liked, but so be it. There have been schematic and staff changes this offseason.  The players feel the sense of urgency are more focused and this offseason.  Three weeks from tomorrow Spring practice begins.  Everyone inside the program is "All In" and I think that we will see the results this fall. It's only 179 days until Florida A&M on August 31st at WMS.  It has been a good year and it's going to get even better.

You are an asset to hogville.

LZH

Poker_hog

It's been an ok year.  Basketball is on a slight up tick, football is kind of spinning its wheels.  No reason to think we'll be great or terrible any time soon in either sport.  Jury is still out on the baseball team.  I do give Long credit for firing dykes.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

DeltaBoy

It been a good year except for the last two game letdown football games.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HF#1

I'm sorry but football did not have a good year. Not after you look at how they finished. Basketball had a good year.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

MuskogeeHogFan

Though I certainly appreciate all of your posts about the team, this part of your post really speaks volumes to me.

Personally, being the biggest team on the field never really meant much to me. Reasonably comparative in size, sure, but never needing to be the biggest. What was more important is just exactly what you are speaking to with this post about the team.

A team that is focused and dedicated, who buys-in to what the staff is selling and are dedicated to making the sacrifices necessary to be the best conditioned team on the field, who develop mental toughness through that physical sacrifice and by exceeding higher goals than they have ever set for themselves before in off season programs, is a team that no one wants to face in the fall.

Now a staff still has to effectively evaluate the players that they have knowing what their top end might be in terms of performance expectations as well as their limitations, so that they put players in a position where they and the team are capable of having the best opportunity for success. And the scheme that you can play most effectively is dictated for the most part by the talent at your disposal and how far they have all come (no matter their recruit ranking) in terms of their personal development both mentally and physically. But that last part is really up to having the right coach and the right player who seeks and is dedicated to perfection at their individual position.

If all of that can be pulled together on a team (focus, dedication, team and individual discipline, buy-in and extraordinary levels of sacrifice), a team that is lesser talented than other opponents can win games that they might not ordinarily win. Mental toughness, conditioning and leadership are important all of the time but it is most important in the 3rd and 4th quarter of games when legs and backs begin to ache and you have to push through pain to execute at a high level. It's easier to execute when you are fresh, when you haven't been punched in the mouth all game and when the game isn't on the line. But the best conditioned team, the toughest team mentally and physically, the team that exhibits leadership when the chips are down and just keeps punching away, is the team that will come out on top more often than not. That's the team I am proud of, win or lose.

This is what I have experienced in the past and if that is the team we field for 2017, I like our chances.
Go Hogs Go!

onebadrubi

Quote from: sickboy on March 06, 2017, 01:31:08 am
Come on. The Hogs had better record/resume than Michigan, Michigan State at V-Day. If you're gonna throw them in the mix, you might as well put the Hogs in the same category. Either way, all those teams, including Arkansas, had games to win to reach the tourney. And by the way -- VCU and Xavier still aren't locks to get into the tourney.

With how weak the SEC is -- for Arkansas to be a tournament lock on Valentine's Day, that means they're top 15 team. If you think Arkansas should be a top 15 team and anything less is unacceptable... then I think your expectations are skewed based on the last 20 years of Arkansas basketball.

Can we get there? Absolutely. But we're not there.

Record maybe, resume aperently not.  Again, in context of the original statement, as of Valentine's Day those listed teams had to collapse to not be in.  Some for different reasons, like vcu had an easier stretch than others because of the quality of the conference.  Michigan knew they would be in so long as they took care of business, beat the teams they were suppose to beat.  Michigan St as well because of their schedule before, they played a hell of a lot better schedule than we did. 

You're whole second paragraph is wrong and putting words in my mouth. I've proven you flat out wrong and you won't accept it.  I never said he had to be a top 15 team and anything less is unacceptable, that's the status of a very few (UNC, Kansas, duke), we most likely will never reach that point again at Arkansas. 

On feb 14th, had Arkansas not lost to mizzou, we would have been a tourney lock baring a type collapse like South Carolina had last year.  Meaning we would have really just needed to win our home games,, off memory was ole miss, A&M, and UGA. Anything else was better seeding. 

Grizzlyfan

Many programs would love to have the overall success that Arkansas has had this year.  And most years.

younghog

This let down is what they have to learn to avoid.  Take 2016 for example.

Keep the info coming.

GO HOGS
GO HOGS

AugustaHog

As far as full calendar year, it hasn't been too great.  Football had the potential to outdo the expectations, but the collapses in the last two games affected how you view that season.  Basketball has met pre-season expectations.  Baseball had a really bad 2016 and 2017 is starting off solid.  I would say that in the last calendar year, it has just been ok at best.  2017 has lots of promise to be sure though.  I expect to see better quality on the defensive side of the ball and better OL play this coming football season.  MA adds some real quality to his team despite losing Hannahs and Kingsley next year.  Another NCAAT berth is within reach for sure.  Baseball is a wait and see.  The SEC is a gauntlet.  It will be worth watching to see if they can hang.  DVH is a hell of a coach so if anybody can do it, he can.

Poker_hog

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on March 06, 2017, 09:29:33 am
Many programs would love to have the overall success that Arkansas has had this year.  And most years.

3 maybe 4 sec programs would call this a "good" year.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Poker_hog on March 06, 2017, 11:41:39 am
3 maybe 4 sec programs would call this a "good" year.
Without heavily weighting football into your calculations, rank the SEC in overall athletic department success this school year.

And by the way, there are quite a few college athletic departments outside the SEC.

JHicks3636

Hey, we could be Texas. They'd kill to have a decent team in any sport right now. I'm an oldtimer so it's great to see them suffering.

FANONTHEHILL

I know we're football centric, especiallly on this board, but here's an article from January that talks about the 2016-2017 athletic/academic year.  These numbers don't include indoor track that the men's and women's teams just swept at the SEC meet.

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/final-fall-directors-cup-standings/
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

HognitiveDissonance

Yes it is.
But they made a pretty good bowl game.
It didn't go well, but nothing to complain about with the Belk Bowl.

LZH

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 06, 2017, 08:58:02 am
Though I certainly appreciate all of your posts about the team, this part of your post really speaks volumes to me.

Personally, being the biggest team on the field never really meant much to me. Reasonably comparative in size, sure, but never needing to be the biggest. What was more important is just exactly what you are speaking to with this post about the team.

A team that is focused and dedicated, who buys-in to what the staff is selling and are dedicated to making the sacrifices necessary to be the best conditioned team on the field, who develop mental toughness through that physical sacrifice and by exceeding higher goals than they have ever set for themselves before in off season programs, is a team that no one wants to face in the fall.

Now a staff still has to effectively evaluate the players that they have knowing what their top end might be in terms of performance expectations as well as their limitations, so that they put players in a position where they and the team are capable of having the best opportunity for success. And the scheme that you can play most effectively is dictated for the most part by the talent at your disposal and how far they have all come (no matter their recruit ranking) in terms of their personal development both mentally and physically. But that last part is really up to having the right coach and the right player who seeks and is dedicated to perfection at their individual position.

If all of that can be pulled together on a team (focus, dedication, team and individual discipline, buy-in and extraordinary levels of sacrifice), a team that is lesser talented than other opponents can win games that they might not ordinarily win. Mental toughness, conditioning and leadership are important all of the time but it is most important in the 3rd and 4th quarter of games when legs and backs begin to ache and you have to push through pain to execute at a high level. It's easier to execute when you are fresh, when you haven't been punched in the mouth all game and when the game isn't on the line. But the best conditioned team, the toughest team mentally and physically, the team that exhibits leadership when the chips are down and just keeps punching away, is the team that will come out on top more often than not. That's the team I am proud of, win or lose.

This is what I have experienced in the past and if that is the team we field for 2017, I like our chances.

Petrino's teams almost always got stronger as the game wore on. BB is gonna have to get that figured out. I don't feel like we have been in shape under his watch.

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: LZH on March 07, 2017, 06:51:18 am
Petrino's teams almost always got stronger as the game wore on. BB is gonna have to get that figured out. I don't feel like we have been in shape under his watch.

I think Petrino's teams were fast out of the gate and had people playing catch up.  As soon as the Mallett, Child's, Adams, Wright, and Gragg group moved on, that was not going to be sustainable.  Especially with the lack of defensive players being brought in. But that's another conversation. As far as the current team and staff, you can't ever be in too good of physical condition, but I don't think that it's been physical condition that's been the problem.  It's mental.  I always support the players and try to be positive, but last year when something went wrong, they didn't respond well.  I was on the sixth row behind the bench at the Belk Bowl.  I could hear the staff rallying the players, telling them what to expect and imploring them to wake up and stick to the plan.  The guys simply folded.  There is not a large enough discrepancy in talent to allow what happened at the bowl game.  That's even more true when applied to the Missouri game.  The problem was between their ears.  An offense that plays tight because they have no confidence in the defense and and defense that plays tight because the players are being asked to run a scheme that they don't have the personnel to run. As soon as something goes wrong, you have to be mentally tough enough to deal with it.  Arkansas wasn't last year.  The off season program has been designed to make the guys mentally tougher this cycle.  Combine that with physical improvement and the defensive coordinator change and I think things are headed in the right direction. 

As far as me being negative toward these players, I've had some of these guys sitting in my den on the couch since last season and I've told them the same thing face to face.  They recognize the problems and are working hard to get better.  They get it.

sowmonella

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on March 07, 2017, 07:29:19 am
I think Petrino's teams were fast out of the gate and had people playing catch up.  As soon as the Mallett, Child's, Adams, Wright, and Gragg group moved on, that was not going to be sustainable.  Especially with the lack of defensive players being brought in. But that's another conversation. As far as the current team and staff, you can't ever be in too good of physical condition, but I don't think that it's been physical condition that's been the problem.  It's mental.  I always support the players and try to be positive, but last year when something went wrong, they didn't respond well.  I was on the sixth row behind the bench at the Belk Bowl.  I could hear the staff rallying the players, telling them what to expect and imploring them to wake up and stick to the plan.  The guys simply folded.  There is not a large enough discrepancy in talent to allow what happened at the bowl game.  That's even more true when applied to the Missouri game.  The problem was between their ears.  An offense that plays tight because they have no confidence in the defense and and defense that plays tight because the players are being asked to run a scheme that they don't have the personnel to run. As soon as something goes wrong, you have to be mentally tough enough to deal with it.  Arkansas wasn't last year.  The off season program has been designed to make the guys mentally tougher this cycle.  Combine that with physical improvement and the defensive coordinator change and I think things are headed in the right direction.
Great insight. Thanks for posting.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Poker_hog

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on March 06, 2017, 03:06:01 pm
Without heavily weighting football into your calculations, rank the SEC in overall athletic department success this school year.

And by the way, there are quite a few college athletic departments outside the SEC.

Being good at sports nobody watches is not an accomplishment.  Neither is being better off then programs with much less resources.

How many track national titles would you trade for one football national title? 5? 10? All of them?  I'd trade all of them for one sec championship in football.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Poker_hog on March 07, 2017, 08:31:24 am
Being good at sports nobody watches is not an accomplishment.  Neither is being better off then programs with much less resources.

How many track national titles would you trade for one football national title? 5? 10? All of them?  I'd trade all of them for one sec championship in football.
It may not be an accomplishment to you but it's the job of the athletic director and administration.  And in that they are doing very, very well.

Hundreds of track athletes would disagree with you about their national championships.

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: Poker_hog on March 07, 2017, 08:31:24 am

This is one of the most asinine posts I have ever seen on Hogville.  I encourage you to go to a track meet, a swim meet, a softball game, a soccer match, a gymnastics meet.  You will see Arkansas Razorbacks.  They are of no less value to the University of Arkansas than anyone who ever strapped on a football helmet.  The countless hours they have dedicated to their sports and their studies is something most people couldn't comprehend and much less have the physical and mental toughness to accomplish.  How dare you call yourself a fan and belittle these student athletes.  I'm certain that none of them would trade their accomplishments for a football championship.  Coach Bielema preaches that you "earn everything".  These other athletes have "earned it", a lesson that the football team is currently working on this off season.  I'm a football parent, but I'm more than that, I'm a Razorback athlete parent.  Your remark is offensive to every Razorback athlete and their families.  You are an embarrassed to Razorback fans.

gchamblee

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on March 07, 2017, 09:28:57 am
This is one of the most asinine posts I have ever seen on Hogville.  I encourage you to go to a track meet, a swim meet, a softball game, a soccer match, a gymnastics meet.  You will see Arkansas Razorbacks.  They are of no less value to the University of Arkansas than anyone who ever strapped on a football helmet.  The countless hours they have dedicated to their sports and their studies is something most people couldn't comprehend and much less have the physical and mental toughness to accomplish.  How dare you call yourself a fan and belittle these student athletes.  I'm certain that none of them would trade their accomplishments for a football championship.  Coach Bielema preaches that you "earn everything".  These other athletes have "earned it", a lesson that the football team is currently working on this off season.  I'm a football parent, but I'm more than that, I'm a Razorback athlete parent.  Your remark is offensive to every Razorback athlete and their families.  You are an embarrassed to Razorback fans.

Amen

Poker_hog

Lighten up Francis.

Where did I say the student athletes don't work hard?

The fact remains that the success of a year has to do with how well do in football and to a lesser extent basketball and to an even lesser extent baseball.  Everything else is barely on the radar.  Take away those three sports and there isn't  money for the rest.

HognitiveDissonance

He didn't really address the athletes, he was talking about fans. How many track titles would you trade for one football title?
Of course if you're a swimmer or gymnast, that's your world, and it means everything to you, but not necessarily to us fans.
Me, I also thought the post was a little condescending towards the 'minor' sports, but on the other hand, he's right in that everyone follows men's football and basketball, and after that it's wide open. People follow track mainly just because we're so good at it. Baseball has a large following, but that's due to the success Van Horn has had.
To answer his question, I wouldn't trade all the track titles for ONE football title. Absolutely not. I like being dominant...in anything. I love the track program.
However, I would put the number at 10. I would trade 10 track national championships for one football championship. (or basketball, but we have one of those more lately)

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: Poker_hog on March 07, 2017, 10:00:16 am
Lighten up Francis.

Where did I say the student athletes don't work hard?

The fact remains that the success of a year has to do with how well do in football and to a lesser extent basketball and to an even lesser extent baseball.  Everything else is barely on the radar.  Take away those three sports and there isn't  money for the rest.

"Being good at sports no one watches is not an accomplishment"

That is a slap in the face to every Razorback Athlete.  If it comes down to finances, then say that is your point.  But without all sports and the SEC contract and Title IX provisions being met, there isn't a football program to begin with.  You can make a cute little Stripes reference but it makes you no less a fool.

LZH

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on March 07, 2017, 07:29:19 am

As far as me being negative toward these players, I've had some of these guys sitting in my den on the couch since last season and I've told them the same thing face to face.  They recognize the problems and are working hard to get better.  They get it.

Not meaning to parrot some others on here, but I just don't believe BB is hard enough on our guys....you would certainly know alot more about that than I. We just didn't look physically or mentally tough in several games this year. Have heard there were some grumblings in the locker room at times last year, don't know if that had any effect or if it is even true.

I don't really believe BB will be able to get over the hump, but if he does that would be fantastic. I haven't always a big fan of his but as long as he can win and be competitive it's fine by me. The Auburn game, and last two games really stick out as games we are going to see as long as he is our coach. Play better against Auburn and don't give those last two away and I can live with the rest.

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on March 07, 2017, 10:04:38 am
He didn't really address the athletes, he was talking about fans. How many track titles would you trade for one football title?
Of course if you're a swimmer or gymnast, that's your world, and it means everything to you, but not necessarily to us fans.
Me, I also thought the post was a little condescending towards the 'minor' sports, but on the other hand, he's right in that everyone follows men's football and basketball, and after that it's wide open. People follow track mainly just because we're so good at it. Baseball has a large following, but that's due to the success Van Horn has had.
To answer his question, I wouldn't trade all the track titles for ONE football title. Absolutely not. I like being dominant...in anything. I love the track program.
However, I would put the number at 10. I would trade 10 track national championships for one football championship. (or basketball, but we have one of those more lately)
When you say that "being good at sports no one watches is not accomplishment" the line has been clearly crossed.