Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can Brandon Allen be the next Tom Brady?

Started by snoot hoggy hog, February 16, 2017, 10:16:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

nchogg

I would like to see BA become a starter and have a good run in the NFL. :razorback:

jkstock04

He has a much better chance of making it than Tyler Wilson...but the next Tom Brady? No.

Not to mention the Jaguars is a piss poor organization. Even Lloyd Christmas wouldn't be seeing this as a chance.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

hawkhawg

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on February 18, 2017, 02:36:07 am
I am not for sure why the national football analysts are so enamored with Tom Brady.  Yes, he has won some Super Bowl rings, but he has done it in a watered down NFL.  Also, Brady has had the benefit of having an excellent Head Coach who has an excellent system in place.  Other QBs could play above their potential in Belichick's system.

When I have watched Brady play on T.V., I haven't been that impressed with him.

Do you discount Montana for playing in Walsh's system?   Montana and Brady are both benefits of perfect storms. Both had great coaches and owners.  I love Montana and he is as cool as they come and is a winner but he had better players around him, and did not have Brady's numbers.
Brady has the numbers and the wins.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: hawkhawg on February 18, 2017, 08:39:34 am
Do you discount Montana for playing in Walsh's system?   Montana and Brady are both benefits of perfect storms. Both had great coaches and owners.  I love Montana and he is as cool as they come and is a winner but he had better players around him, and did not have Brady's numbers.

The only counter I may have toward your comments on Montana is that during his day DBs could manhandle WRs. Which is why it is hard to compare across eras.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Hogarusa

I am not for sure why the national football analysts are so enamored with Tom Brady.  Yes, he has won some Super Bowl rings, but he has done it in a watered down NFL.  Also, Brady has had the benefit of having an excellent Head Coach who has an excellent system in place.  Other QBs could play above their potential in Belichick's system.

Hahaha, this is pretty funny and one of the hottest takes you will find on Hogville.

His WRs in a 28-3 Super Bowl comeback were James white, Chris Hogan, Julian Edelman, and Danny Amendola. Belichik doesnt have a Super Bowl without Brady.

Brady is 39 years old.
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

code red

Quote from: HamSammich on February 17, 2017, 04:45:13 pm
BA was better in his college career than either of those two. I'll hang up and listen.
How so???  I know Brady played in the 99 Citrus Bowl and I think the Orange Bowl Vs Bama in which Brady won in OT?
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

go hogues

Yet Mallett could never break through...
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

VBMark

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 17, 2017, 06:13:34 am
Ummm....nope...  For every one Tom Brady out there, there are hundreds of QBs drafted late that never did anything.  Likely the next Matt Hasselbeck, Jeff Garcia, Tony Romo, Warren Moon or Kurt Warner, than he is the GOAT and more likely to never see the field.

Kurt Warner is in the Hall of Fame. Warren Moon is in the Hall of Fame also. Most would be quite content with that. And, of yeah, Moon was undrafted out of college.
John L. Smith is so bad that he will laugh himself off the field

code red

You have got to be kidding.  He is the GOAT.  No doubt no argument and to assume this after he single handily won SB 51.....amassing 31 unanswered points, almost 500 yds of offense and a 2 point conversion to tie?  If your not impressed....then you ain't watching.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

JONAS

LZH

hog.goblin

Quote from: code red on February 18, 2017, 11:31:11 am
You have got to be kidding.  He is the GOAT.  No doubt no argument and to assume this after he single handily won SB 51.....amassing 31 unanswered points, almost 500 yds of offense and a 2 point conversion to tie?  If your not impressed....then you ain't watching.

There is plenty of doubt and argument whether Tom Brady is the GOAT.  I would take Montana in any big game vs. Tom Brady.

That being said, Tom is the 2nd GOAT and very close.

What GoHogs1091 is saying is typical nonsense.

Quote from: hawkhawg on February 18, 2017, 08:39:34 am

who were Joe's star WRs?  Rice of course, but was that great or did Joe make him that great (a bit of both obviously). 

his next greatest WR was John Taylor.  Who had more than 1,000 yards twice in his career and more than 60 catches once.

Joe had to play the defenses of the Bears and Giants.  Not only were the WRs manhandled, but so was Joe. 

What he did with K.C. was spectacular.

Joe #1
Tom #2

The more I think about it the less close it is.  But #3 is a long long way away.

LZH

Maybe you should stick to all things Venables....because trust me buddy, QB's aren't your thing. Brady has everything Peyton Manning had but with a better arm.

RME

Speculation employed as fact is always a very strong form of argument.

Some Super Bowl rings? He's won the most Super Bowls by a 1-count, and has started in 7 total, leading by a 2-count.

As I said earlier, I can't stand the Patriots. I can't stand Alabama either. But at some point, one has to respect coaches and players who are [CENSORED] good at what they do.

hawgmasta

Quote from: hog.goblin on February 18, 2017, 02:09:27 pm
There is plenty of doubt and argument whether Tom Brady is the GOAT.  I would take Montana in any big game vs. Tom Brady.

What GoHogs1091 is saying is typical nonsense.

who were Joe's star WRs?  Rice of course, but was that great or did Joe make him that great (a bit of both obviously). 

Yeah only the greatest wide receiver in NFL history's and argued by many the best player of any position in the history of the NFL. Imagine if Tom just had a guy like Julio or Dez.

code red

Quote from: hog.goblin on February 18, 2017, 02:09:27 pm

Tom has topped Montana hands down.  Brady's numbers regular season dwarf Montana's numbers with smaller and less talented WR than Montana had.  Brady's postseason numbers are now probably just as good as Montana's.  And Brady is doing all of this without a decent running back.   I say all of this as the Biggest Chief's fan in SEMO.....I don't like the Patriots but I know greatness when I see it.

hog.goblin

Quote from: code red on February 18, 2017, 02:29:37 pm
Tom has topped Montana hands down.  Brady's numbers regular season dwarf Montana's numbers with smaller and less talented WR than Montana had.  Brady's postseason numbers are now probably just as good as Montana's.  And Brady is doing all of this without a decent running back.   I say all of this as the Biggest Chief's fan in SEMO.....I don't like the Patriots but I know greatness when I see it.

Tom has 2 Super Bowl losses and 5 INTs in the Super Bowl.  Both of which are Zero's for Joe.

Tom went 9 years without a SuperBowl win, Joe never more than 3.

Montana also ranks higher in playoff completion percentage (70.27 to 62.39) and playoff passer rating (95.6 to 88.7).

Montana Superbowl rating is 127.8 vs. Brady 95.3.

Montana faced far more balanced and tougher teams, during his career as well, while having a slightly better team.

And I HATE the 49ers.

hog.goblin

Quote from: hawgmasta on February 18, 2017, 02:27:08 pm
Yeah only the greatest wide receiver in NFL history's and argued by many the best player of any position in the history of the NFL. Imagine if Tom just had a guy like Julio or Dez.

No kidding.  Give him someone like that and he could go the entire season undefeated while winning the Super Bowl.  A top 5 WR of all time like Randy Moss...

HamSammich

BA will probably end up with a better career than Tom Brady. Please discuss

hawkhawg

Quote from: hog.goblin on February 18, 2017, 03:03:24 pm
Tom has 2 Super Bowl losses and 5 INTs in the Super Bowl.  Both of which are Zero's for Joe.

Montana also ranks higher in playoff completion percentage (70.27 to 62.39) and playoff passer rating (95.6 to 88.7).

Montana faced far more balanced and tougher teams, during his career as well, while having a slightly better team.

And I HATE the 49ers.

You hold two super bowl loses against Brady but don't hold It against joe that he didn't even make the Super Bowl three times Brady did.

hog.goblin

Quote from: hawkhawg on February 18, 2017, 09:00:09 pm
You hold two super bowl loses against Brady but don't hold It against joe that he didn't even make the Super Bowl three times Brady did.

Just one of many factors when determining which of the two is GOAT.

If super bowl appearances were enough we would be talking about Fran Tarkenton and Jim Kelly, but we aren't.

For GOAT I want the guy who can win.

hawkhawg

Quote from: hog.goblin on February 18, 2017, 10:32:10 pm
Just one of many factors when determining which of the two is GOAT.

If super bowl appearances were enough we would be talking about Fran Tarkenton and Jim Kelly, but we aren't.

For GOAT I want the guy who can win.

That is the point I'm making. Joe did lose. Joe lost before the super bowl.  Three more times Brady won a game that got him into the super bowl that joe lost.

Brady has more wins over his career and wins at a higher percentage than joe.

And Joe's stats can't compare to Brady's.

hog.goblin

Quote from: hawkhawg on February 18, 2017, 10:41:23 pm
That is the point I'm making. Joe did lose. Joe lost before the super bowl.  Three more times Brady won a game that got him into the super bowl that joe lost.

Brady has more wins over his career and wins at a higher percentage than joe.

And Joe's stats can't compare to Brady's.

You can't compare stats in the 80s with stats in 2000s.  They were allowed to play defense back then, and the 49ers faced some great teams on a yearly basis.

Give me any QB in history, in their prime, to play for any Super Bowl team and I'll take Joe first every time. 

hawkhawg

February 18, 2017, 11:52:43 pm #73 Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 12:14:34 am by hawkhawg
Quote from: hog.goblin on February 18, 2017, 11:36:24 pm
You can't compare stats in the 80s with stats in 2000s.  They were allowed to play defense back then, and the 49ers faced some great teams on a yearly basis.

Give me any QB in history, in their prime, to play for any Super Bowl team and I'll take Joe first every time.

We just have to agree to disagree. But I'm curious
Why you think NFL teams were better during Joe's time in the league than Brady's time?

Hogarusa

To the OP, no BA can not be the next tom Brady. Not that theres anything wrong with that. Lets get him to be a starter 1st. Then lets get him out of Jacksonville. The next successful pro Hog QB will be the 1st i have ever seen
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Hogarusa on February 19, 2017, 09:18:06 am
To the OP, no BA can not be the next tom Brady. Not that theres anything wrong with that. Lets get him to be a starter 1st. Then lets get him out of Jacksonville. The next successful pro Hog QB will be the 1st i have ever seen

It was glorious watching Joe F sling it for Buffalo. It would be glorious to see BA do the same thing.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

hog.goblin

Quote from: hawkhawg on February 18, 2017, 11:52:43 pm
We just have to agree to disagree. But I'm curious
Why you think NFL teams were better during Joe's time in the league than Brady's time?

We probably won't agree on that either.  Teams played better defense and had better star players on defense. 

What you can't argue, is that they were allowed (by the rules committee) to play better defense - physically.

Hardcore Hoggy

Yes, Brady could easily be the next Tom Brady, just get caught deflating some balls.

hogcard1964

code red

Quote from: hog.goblin on February 18, 2017, 03:03:24 pm

And I HATE the 49ers.

Disagree...its is simple to game plan vs. Brady.  Just stop Brady....no one can.

HOGSWEAT

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: ChitownHawg on February 18, 2017, 09:17:38 am
The only counter I may have toward your comments on Montana is that during his day DBs could manhandle WRs. Which is why it is hard to compare across eras.

Except Montana had the greatest WR ever to play the game. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

PonderinHog

hog.goblin

Quote from: code red on February 21, 2017, 01:49:34 pm
Disagree...its is simple to game plan vs. Brady.  Just stop Brady....no one can.

Don't tell the Giants that

hog.goblin

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on February 21, 2017, 07:47:16 pm
Except Montana had the greatest WR ever to play the game. 

And he won 2 Super Bowls without him

gawntrail

Quote from: HamSammich on February 17, 2017, 04:45:13 pm
BA was better in his college career than either of those two. I'll hang up and listen.

Matt Leinart came out of SC about as polished as you can get.... came out of a pro style system....

I believe it's about how a young QB gets to his 2nd contract in the NFL.  Too often a stand out in college gets thrown to the wolves by a desperate HC getting ready to get his own head chopped off.  Athleticism alone does not cut it in the NFL.  Everybody, including the 2-3 deep are the best players in the country.  That takes time to absorb and to get used to.... and learning systems that are 5 times more complicated than college.

Young QBs have the worst attrition rate.

I hope BA gets enough time to grow in to the position.  He can be a very effective QB.  Look at Drew Breeze. 

ballhogger

Can he? ...he could.  Is it likely?...probably not.  The NFL is such a crapshoot with some of the players.  There are very few sure fire hits but there are a whole lot of misses.  I do however think that he could be a productive player for several years.  He has great leadership qualities and a better arm than given credit.

Hogsenburg

*In my best Dr. Evil voice*

How bout no Snoot

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: TrueBlue on February 17, 2017, 10:52:59 am
He can be the next Brady.........Bobby Brady that is.

As long as he's not Mike...
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Jackrabbit Hog

Not to quibble with the Beautiful Mind that is GoHogs1091, but Belichick's expertise is on the defensive side of the ball. 
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: hog.goblin on February 22, 2017, 03:09:31 am
And he won 2 Super Bowls without him

And he won 2 more with him.  Name the star receivers that Brady has had other than Randy Moss who was not in his prime anymore.

hog.goblin

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on February 22, 2017, 05:25:13 pm
And he won 2 more with him.  Name the star receivers that Brady has had other than Randy Moss who was not in his prime anymore.

Gronk.  Randy was indeed in his prime that year.  3rd most receptions in his career, 2nd best in yards, and most TDs.  And I would argue those were all up because of Brady. 

My argument is that Brady might not be the best ever.  He's likely the 2nd best ever (and no one is close at 3rd).  That's not a knock.  But I completely reject the notion that a solid argument doesn't exist that joe was better.

hawgdavis

Joe was the best clutch QB I've ever seen. Think about asking his team is that John Candy up there and then taking them down the field for the win with like 1:30 to go. Known to most as the drive his nonchalant comment took the pressure off the team and allows them to play lose. I don't think Brady has that kind of cool , intensity yes but not that calm cool and collected personality under pressure against more physical defenses. JMO

hawgdavis

Aaron Rogers is pretty clutch to and is IMO top 5 all time. He is a killer.

hawgdavis

Terry also went 4 for 4 why isn't he in this conversation.

Life long Steelers fan here

hog.goblin

Quote from: hawgdavis on February 22, 2017, 07:34:15 pm
Terry also went 4 for 4 why isn't he in this conversation.

Life long Steelers fan here

I can think of 210 reasons against him being in the conversation to only 212 him being in it

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on February 22, 2017, 02:57:29 pm
Not to quibble with the Beautiful Mind that is GoHogs1091, but Belichick's expertise is on the defensive side of the ball. 

A few years ago, a national sports media network did a behind-the-scenes look at the Patriots organization.  Throughout the season, one day during the week Brady is in Belichick's office (just Brady and Belichick) and they would be analyzing and discussing offensive plays/offensive strategy.

While Belichick is a Defensive minded Coach, he goes out of his way to make sure Brady can be as prepared as possible.  It is just a part of Belichick's excellent system/process.

FATHAWG08

I bet BA would be happy if he started for Jacksonville sometime in the future.
I love off season Football!!

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: hog.goblin on February 22, 2017, 06:35:40 pm
Gronk.  Randy was indeed in his prime that year.  3rd most receptions in his career, 2nd best in yards, and most TDs.  And I would argue those were all up because of Brady. 

My argument is that Brady might not be the best ever.  He's likely the 2nd best ever (and no one is close at 3rd).  That's not a knock.  But I completely reject the notion that a solid argument doesn't exist that joe was better.

Gronk?  Please tell me how many catches he had in this super bowl?