Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas to pay San Jose St $1.5M in 2019.

Started by ricepig, February 15, 2017, 04:56:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Quote from: EastexHawg on February 16, 2017, 09:03:15 am
I'm not worried about my alma mater.  We played football long before we became enlightened and started getting slaughtered as the sacrificial lambs for Texas Tech and the Aggies every year.  If we got a curb stomping in those days it usually came from Texas A&I or maybe Angelo State.  I went to class with players, including a first team All-American, who were on scholarship and believe it or not they were right there in Geology Lab, getting an education with the rest of us.

And for the record, my alma mater's enrollment when I went to school there was larger than Arkansas'.

The football and basketball arenas are the same now as they were in 1980.  If a lot of money was made and spent it most likely went into administrative costs, mainly salaries.  I'm sure the AD and head coach enjoy the financial benefits of having the team massacred a time or two every fall.

FCS schools and their athletic departments are not going to shut their doors because they aren't allowed to be rent-a-wins for big time schools anymore.  They will manage, just as they always did before the big schools decided they needed to "help" them by hanging 60-75 points on them once or twice a year.

What does enrollment have to do with anything, besides help those schools with large athletic fees for their students fund their athletic budget. Yep, those schools that no longer can get a check from a P5 school will manage to continue, but we both know where the money will have to come from.

ricepig

Quote from: HamSammich on February 16, 2017, 08:26:46 am
Exaggerate much? These guys never said play the top 10 teams in the nation. There is nothing wrong and something actually quite admirable of having an OOC schedule against teams like : Temple, Iowa state, California , Oregon state, Miami, Virginia .....

What guys, I quoted the person my post was intended for. We've had this discussion numerous times, I was spot on.

EastexHawg

Quote from: ricepig on February 16, 2017, 09:39:19 am
What does enrollment have to do with anything, besides help those schools with large athletic fees for their students fund their athletic budget. Yep, those schools that no longer can get a check from a P5 school will manage to continue, but we both know where the money will have to come from.

Let's say the school gets $1 million for traveling to Lubbock or Manhattan, Kansas to take a beating.  How much does it take to fly the team there as opposed to traveling by bus to a nearby FCS opponent?  $50,000?  $100,000?  How much gate revenue and concession money is the program losing by playing on the road instead of at home?  $100,000?  $200,000?

Let's say they are netting $800,000 from playing an FBS opponent.  Cut the budget by 20% and you're down to a "loss" of $640,000.  At my alma mater if student fees had to make up the difference it would amount to about $40 to $50 per student per year.  When you're talking about how much it costs to attend that's a drop in the bucket...and I would say that is on the high side.  Most of these FCS schools probably aren't getting $1 million.  They're probably getting more like $500,000.  If that's the case the students may only have to cough up an extra $15 to $20 each.

ricepig

Quote from: EastexHawg on February 16, 2017, 10:39:42 am
Let's say the school gets $1 million for traveling to Lubbock or Manhattan, Kansas to take a beating.  How much does it take to fly the team there as opposed to traveling by bus to a nearby FCS opponent?  $50,000?  $100,000?  How much gate revenue and concession money is the program losing by playing on the road instead of at home?  $100,000?  $200,000?

Let's say they are netting $800,000 from playing an FBS opponent.  Cut the budget by 20% and you're down to a "loss" of $640,000.  At my alma mater if student fees had to make up the difference it would amount to about $40 to $50 per student per year.  When you're talking about how much it costs to attend that's a drop in the bucket...and I would say that is on the high side.  Most of these FCS schools probably aren't getting $1 million.  They're probably getting more like $500,000.  If that's the case the students may only have to cough up an extra $15 to $20 each.

Some schools play more than one FBS team in a season, several G5's play money games too, for their budgets. ASU had to play 2 a season until a few years ago in order to fund their programs. Their athletic budget was $13M and they made $2M + playing these games. I think you'll find it's important to their budgets.

I'd say the athletic fee is dependent on the number of students, not every school has 25,000 students, lol.

hogsanity

OK, let me see if I understand, Michigan bails on the Hogs, so the Hogs go find a FBS team to replace them, on what, in the college football world, is extremely short notice. Some of our fine posters here think the Hogs should have been able to go out and get a marquee matchup, even though most p5 schools have had their ooc schedules for 2018 set for some time. Anyone care to explain how that was even going to be possible without some school doing to someone what Michigan did to the Hogs?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

woodhog14

Quote from: LZH on February 15, 2017, 08:26:40 pm
UCF plays in the Citrus Bowl in Orlando, and USF plays here at Raymond James Stadium. They usually draw less-than-stellar crowds. But they both have certainly upgraded their talent level. I just said home and home because I would get to catch an extra Razorback game if they were to play down here.

Actually UCF plays in an on campus stadium now.

http://ucfknights.com/facilities/?id=1

secfan30

Quote from: sevenof400 on February 15, 2017, 05:45:36 pm
What an absolute joke to even be playing this game. 

There is NO defending the logic of playing this game because it only reinforces the perception of Arkansas football as being concerned with finances over on the field performance.

When a team backs out of a contract, you are left searching for whoever will take a game. Playing a game against a California tea is not a bad idea.

LZH

Quote from: hogsanity on February 16, 2017, 11:00:52 am
OK, let me see if I understand, Michigan bails on the Hogs, so the Hogs go find a FBS team to replace them, on what, in the college football world, is extremely short notice. Some of our fine posters here think the Hogs should have been able to go out and get a marquee matchup, even though most p5 schools have had their ooc schedules for 2018 set for some time. Anyone care to explain how that was even going to be possible without some school doing to someone what Michigan did to the Hogs?

Yes, if Arkansas were to call, say, Notre Dame, they should cancel their game with USC, or someone, so they can come to Fayetteville for a ball game. It's very easy, no problems.

Quote from: woodhog14 on February 16, 2017, 11:06:59 am
Actually UCF plays in an on campus stadium now.

http://ucfknights.com/facilities/?id=1

Damn. I am in Oviedo all the time, and I never knew they had a new stadium there. Looks nice, too.

jgphillips3

Ask any player that ever played college ball.  You need breather games.  It is a physical and emotional impossibility to play at a high level 12-13 weeks in a row.  For fans and PlayStation/Xbox players, a schedule against only top 15 opponents would be amazing but in real life the team would be beat to a pulp by the end and depleted.  Having one salty OOC game and 3 easy ones is critical to team health and development.  If you are Alabama and your backup to the backup is still a 4 star, you could do it but even then you probably couldn't finish the season healthy.

hogsanity

Quote from: jgphillips3 on February 16, 2017, 12:42:15 pm
Ask any player that ever played college ball.  You need breather games.  It is a physical and emotional impossibility to play at a high level 12-13 weeks in a row.  For fans and PlayStation/Xbox players, a schedule against only top 15 opponents would be amazing but in real life the team would be beat to a pulp by the end and depleted.  Having one salty OOC game and 3 easy ones is critical to team health and development.  If you are Alabama and your backup to the backup is still a 4 star, you could do it but even then you probably couldn't finish the season healthy.

Plus, there just really are not enough truly top level teams to go around.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

LZH

Quote from: hogsanity on February 16, 2017, 12:53:31 pm
Plus, there just really are not enough truly top level teams to go around.

Texas Tech & Toledo are top level teams?    8)

EastexHawg

I'm not talking just about the Michigan makeup game.  I'm talking about the practice of trying to find the absolute worst OOC opponents you can find, including FCS schools, year after year.  How about a show of hands to see how many of us even knew Portland State and Coastal Carolina play football?  If I gave $20 to every poster on this board who could name one player in the history of Portland State or Coastal Carolina football, and took $20 from everyone else, I would have a nice down payment on my next bass boat.

I realize Arkansas isn't the only program that does it.  Almost all do.  I would simply like to see something, such as a change in the playoff format so that winning every OOC game isn't so essential to qualifying, or a rule against playing so many games against hopeless opponents from lousy conferences.  If everyone was forced to quit doing it the big time schools would all be on equal footing.  Fans might have to become accustomed to that 8-4 record being 7-5 or 6-6, but so what?  If winning the conference with a 9-3 or even 8-4 record gets you into the College Football Playoff, what difference does it make that you aren't 11-1 after playing Eastern Michigan, New Mexico State, Austin Peay, and Weber State in non-conference games?  And if the other teams competing for spots in better bowl games also lost an additional game or two because they were forced to play real opponents instead of set-ups, wouldn't that be fair for everyone?

I realize if such a rule was ever enacted every program in America would try to schedule Wake Forest, Kansas, and Iowa State.

Pigsknuckles

Wonder what we are paying the Coastal Carolina Chanticleers. Shoot, they may be able to expand their 10,000 seat stadium following our game.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

RazorPiggie

Good. Should be another W. It baffles me that people are complaining about this game when most of the P5 teams have their schedules locked down thru 2019-2020.

GolfnHog

There is NO defending the logic of playing this game because it only reinforces the perception of Arkansas football as being concerned with finances over on the field performance. 

So why the hell aren't you employed in the AD's office and working on the planning and logistics of the football schedule?  Oh that's right, you are too short sighted to realize that schedules for the next 4-6  years are already under contract w/ all the schools you could bring to the table.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

hog of steele

I suspect those that complain about this would really holler if we scheduled 4 BCS teams and went 2-2 in those games and, having no breaks went 3-5 in the sec.

We would have won 5 tough games but i don't believe that is what we would be focused on.

DeltaBoy

Ton of money for a West Coast Team .
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

GolfnHog

Quote from: EastexHawg on February 16, 2017, 01:22:48 pm
I'm not talking just about the Michigan makeup game.  I'm talking about the practice of trying to find the absolute worst OOC opponents you can find, including FCS schools, year after year.  How about a show of hands to see how many of us even knew Portland State and Coastal Carolina play football?  If I gave $20 to every poster on this board who could name one player in the history of Portland State or Coastal Carolina football, and took $20 from everyone else, I would have a nice down payment on my next bass boat.

I realize Arkansas isn't the only program that does it.  Almost all do.  I would simply like to see something, such as a change in the playoff format so that winning every OOC game isn't so essential to qualifying, or a rule against playing so many games against hopeless opponents from lousy conferences.  If everyone was forced to quit doing it the big time schools would all be on equal footing.  Fans might have to become accustomed to that 8-4 record being 7-5 or 6-6, but so what?  If winning the conference with a 9-3 or even 8-4 record gets you into the College Football Playoff, what difference does it make that you aren't 11-1 after playing Eastern Michigan, New Mexico State, Austin Peay, and Weber State in non-conference games?  And if the other teams competing for spots in better bowl games also lost an additional game or two because they were forced to play real opponents instead of set-ups, wouldn't that be fair for everyone?

I realize if such a rule was ever enacted every program in America would try to schedule Wake Forest, Kansas, and Iowa State.

Neil Lomax played at Portland State so I'll take the $20.00 :D :D
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

bennyl08

Quote from: EastexHawg on February 16, 2017, 01:22:48 pm

Julius Thomas and Josh Norman respectively. Didn't have to look them up either. Norman is a top tier cornerback in the NFL and repeatedly makes the news so it is hard NOT to know he is from coastal carolina. Julius Thomas was a freakishly athletic TE who Peyton Manning made look really good in Denver. It was frequently brought up that he was from Portland State, and living in Oregon myself, that stuck in my memory a bit more than some of the other players.

Always a fun game for me to try and know where NFL players went to college. If they are SEC I typically know, and if their names were mentioned a lot in the pre-draft process I'll typically know as I read a lot of mock drafts and such.

also....

2002: Boise St
2003: Texas
2004: Texas
2005: USC
2006: USC
2007: n/a
2008: Texas (Tulsa was top 25 as well that year)
2009: aggies
2010: aggies
2011: aggies
2012: Rutgers
2013: Rutgers
2014: TTU
2015: TTU
2016: TCU
2017: TCU

2007 when we bought out the USC contract was the only year we didn't have a big name recognition OOC opponent.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Playing cupcakes is the norm.  Here in the SEC, I remind you that Arkansas is most often known for playing an overall top 10 or better SOS nearly every year.  As of right now, we are not ready to add a couple of OOC games against big tough teams.  We would lose most of the time.  What is sad is that we are not killing the OOC teams we are playing right now.  T Tech, Tcu, La Tech, hell we can't effectively beat these schools.  We need to get our second team many reps to build our program and we can't do that against the teams we do play.  We will never be a solid SEC team until we gain a second team that can compete.  If we played our seconds against nearly any school, we cannot score and they would score so fast it just messes you up.

ricepig

Quote from: 12247 on February 16, 2017, 08:09:26 pm
Playing cupcakes is the norm.  Here in the SEC, I remind you that Arkansas is most often known for playing an overall top 10 or better SOS nearly every year.  As of right now, we are not ready to add a couple of OOC games against big tough teams.  We would lose most of the time.  What is sad is that we are not killing the OOC teams we are playing right now.  T Tech, Tcu, La Tech, hell we can't effectively beat these schools.  We need to get our second team many reps to build our program and we can't do that against the teams we do play.  We will never be a solid SEC team until we gain a second team that can compete.  If we played our seconds against nearly any school, we cannot score and they would score so fast it just messes you up.

I'm guessing you were a backup in Jr high, thus your fixation on them, lol.

Supermark101

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 15, 2017, 10:37:29 pm

EDIT: Boise St is not a power 5 team, but might as well be.

Not in 2002.

Am I the only one interested in why we are scheduling so many teams from the west? It just seems odd.

Pork Twain

Exactly this...  Arkansas did not ask to be in this short-notice cluster frick.  That was a surprise from Michigan, the type of team people are upset we are not scheduling, because they dumped us for ND.  At that point all of the good partners are gone and would cost a fortune to get them out of their current agreement to play someone else, so that they could paly us.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

JethroB.

Quote from: ricepig on February 16, 2017, 08:18:04 pm
I'm guessing you were a backup in Jr high, thus your fixation on them, lol.

If coach would have just put me in....we'd won state and i'd be living in a mansion with my soul mate.

NuttinItUp

GoHogs1091

A lot of money to be paid to a soft west coast team that won't really help us prepare for SEC conference play.

We could have payed less money to UCA, and played a physical UCA team that would help us prepare for SEC Conference play.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on February 17, 2017, 11:04:31 pm
A lot of money to be paid to a soft west coast team that won't really help us prepare for SEC conference play.

We could have payed less money to UCA, and played a physical UCA team that would help us prepare for SEC Conference play.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: NuttinItUp on February 18, 2017, 12:26:41 am

Sarcasm with some realistic thought.

The University of Arkansas doesn't want to play any in-state schools, but to pay that much money to play a soft team that won't really help us prepare for conference play when an in-state team that could help us prepare for conference play could be utilized and payed less shows the short-sided thinking/shallow thinking of the University of Arkansas Athletic Department.

That win by UCA up at Jonesboro probably was an eye-opener for the UofA, and it made the search for a soft opponent more imperative for the UofA.

southeasthog

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on February 18, 2017, 01:05:50 am

That win by UCA up at Jonesboro probably was an eye-opener for the UofA, and it made the search for a soft opponent more imperative for the UofA.

Oh GoHogs, you making me have a good chuckle this fine Saturday morning. You know good and well that Arkansas is NOT going to schedule UCA or any other Arkansas team in the foreseeable future. No amounts of wins by UCA (who is without Clint Counque as you know) is gonna catch a glance from anyone at the UofA. Need to keep to talking about the greatness of Brent Venerables. At least you have a solid point there.

ricepig

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on February 17, 2017, 11:04:31 pm

I love it when you try to be funny, lol.

ricepig

The University of Arkansas doesn't want to play any in-state schools, but to pay that much money to play a soft team that won't really help us prepare for conference play when an in-state team that could help us prepare for conference play could be utilized and payed less shows the short-sided thinking/shallow thinking of the University of Arkansas Athletic Department.

That's the going rate for these type of games, try doing a little search. Had Michigan not cancelled, and we kept that game, would it been as worthy as a matchup with the mighty Purple Bears??

factchecker

February 18, 2017, 08:12:31 am #81 Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 08:30:08 am by factchecker

Nobody outside of jonesboro or conway knew that game was even played.

UCA could get beat by Ramay Junior High and nobody would care.  I guess that's why UCA hasn't scheduled Ramay.  The striped bears are scared.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

jkstock04

I bitch about our weak OOC schedule, and the way it's structured all the time. If everyone thought playing the Delaware St's of the world was so awesome like most of Hogville claims...then the stands wouldn't be half empty by halftime when we do play these crap teams.

The fans that actually go to the games don't get up for it vs. when we do actually have a legit opponent. We are in the cycle where our conference home schedule sucks terribly this year...but thank God at least we do get TCU at home or it would be double bad.

However, in this specific case with San Jose st it's tough to whine about it guys. We had a legit deal going with Michigan and they ducked out of it. I would imagine most other (if not all) decent teams already have their schedules solid for 2019. It was too short notice.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

BigSexyHog

Here is the dumbest thing you will read on the Internet all day.  Congrats
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

LZH

Quote from: BigSexyHog on February 18, 2017, 10:54:08 am
Here is the dumbest thing you will read on the Internet all day.  Congrats

I dunno....the day is still young.

ricepig

Quote from: sevenof400 on February 18, 2017, 11:21:31 am
Indeed yes.  How much better that would be than what the fans have been offered for far too long.  And it would help recruiting too. 

So, should we give up two home games every year? What about the fans that wish to watch 7-8 home games? Now, should we continue to try a play a P5, of course, the league mandates it, but I don't see giving up a home game to do two home and home with another P5.

jkstock04

Quote from: sevenof400 on February 18, 2017, 11:26:34 am
And as the Michigan situation so clearly illustrates, those commitments are solid aren't they? 

Until Arkansas prioritizes winning over the chasing of every dollar it can extract from its fan base, mediocrity will reign.  Aren't you tired of that yet?
Probably not in your case...
How does Arkansas gain in $$$ by playing San Jose St?
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

BirmingHam

So....If we played UCA in LR, would that be considered an Away game for the Hogs?  Maybe we could cut down the payout considering UCA would be considered the home team.

ricepig

Quote from: BirmingHam on February 18, 2017, 01:39:38 pm
So....If we played UCA in LR, would that be considered an Away game for the Hogs?  Maybe we could cut down the payout considering UCA would be considered the home team.

Payout?? Hell, if we're the visiting team, $1.5M........

LZH

I won't attempt to cover the political ins and outs of the subject, but I've always wanted to see Arkansas play AState (and now possibly include UCA/UAPB). Arkansas State could very well have beaten us in one or more of the past 5 years.

Back when this was a hot-button issue, Orville Henry was naturally spouting JFB's side on the matter. I sent him an email asking if it were better for Arkansas to play Arkansas State or for the Razorbacks to continue to get punked out by SMU and Memphis. Surprisingly, I never got a response.

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on February 18, 2017, 02:00:50 pm
I won't attempt to cover the political ins and outs of the subject, but I've always wanted to see Arkansas play AState (and now possibly include UCA/UAPB). Arkansas State could very well have beaten us in one or more of the past 5 years.

Back when this was a hot-button issue, Orville Henry was naturally spouting JFB's side on the matter. I sent him an email asking if it were better for Arkansas to play Arkansas State or for the Razorbacks to continue to get punked out by SMU and Memphis. Surprisingly, I never got a response.

Did you check your spam file?

jkstock04

Quote from: sevenof400 on February 18, 2017, 12:53:42 pm
By gaining another home playing date and not having to play a higher quality opponent on the road.   That's the quick answer. 

The financial down side of playing a better quality schedule is that you likely lose a home date each season (if you balance your schedule properly).  This does increase the travel budget (and thus operating costs) but the prospect of bringing a higher quality opponent to your fans and your recruits has a value over and above the financial considerations.  Even more so if your opponent is one that can get you on a decent TV spot (and in front of more potential recruits). 
So that means we would have a schedule with one less 1.5 million dollar Coastal Carolina type of game? Oh the horror.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

BirmingHam

Quote from: LZH on February 18, 2017, 02:00:50 pm

I've actually been a fan of playing ASU in WMS as the opening game each year.  Line it up with the State Fair (and no, I don't know when the State Fair is) for a party weekend.  But, LR needs to fix up the stadium to show they really want the game there.  It would take LR making an effort to make an entire weekend affair for everyone; would they do that?

ricepig

Quote from: BirmingHam on February 18, 2017, 03:06:40 pm
I've actually been a fan of playing ASU in WMS as the opening game each year.  Line it up with the State Fair (and no, I don't know when the State Fair is) for a party weekend.  But, LR needs to fix up the stadium to show they really want the game there.  It would take LR making an effort to make an entire weekend affair for everyone; would they do that?

State Fair is in mid to late October.

LZH

Quote from: BirmingHam on February 18, 2017, 03:06:40 pm

The State Fair idea is a good one, though I think it's later in the fall. If the morons in LR would have recognized how serious the PTB were when the idea of leaving WMS became real, we might very well have seen some movement to expand/upgrade WMS.

The state owns WMS, and to ask Warren Stephens to build a new stadium by himself is not only desperation.....it's ridiculous.

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on February 18, 2017, 03:18:45 pm
The State Fair idea is a good one, though I think it's later in the fall. If the morons in LR would have recognized how serious the PTB were when the idea of leaving WMS became real, we might very well have seen some movement to expand/upgrade WMS.

The state owns WMS, and to ask Warren Stephens to build a new stadium by himself is not only desperation.....it's ridiculous.

Times have changed, we no longer need a bigger stadium in LR, they'll do well to maintain it.

BirmingHam

Quote from: LZH on February 18, 2017, 03:18:45 pm

Create a whole new Labor Day celebration, call it "All Arkansas" weekend.  Have the game kickoff at noon, have multiple concerts across the city and have the riverwalk all lit up.  At least make a concerted effort to make it where everyone across the state will come in for a big celebration. 

ricepig

Quote from: BirmingHam on February 18, 2017, 03:32:55 pm
Create a whole new Labor Day celebration, call it "All Arkansas" weekend.  Have the game kickoff at noon, have multiple concerts across the city and have the riverwalk all lit up.  At least make a concerted effort to make it where everyone across the state will come in for a big celebration. 

Because, why?

LZH

Quote from: ricepig on February 18, 2017, 03:24:21 pm
Times have changed, we no longer need a bigger stadium in LR, they'll do well to maintain it.

Yeah, ikr? darn, good luck with that. I like LR as a city, but it is run by a bunch of dumbasses.....always has been.

HamSammich

Connecticut is a stretch? Houston? Illinois? Indiana? Purdue ? Colorado st? Utah? These teams are untouchable ? It's weak ass sauce / period.