Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

16 Team Super Conferences By Average Recruiting Rankings

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, February 14, 2017, 09:17:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

Not that we ever discuss this topic, but what if we went to four 16 team Super Conferences? I know everyone has a tendency to usually set these up by regional relevance, but what if we used average recruiting rankings over an extended period of time as the parameter by which teams would be placed in conferences and divisions?

Yes I know, the Networks would never go for this, but this method would give everyone more of a fair chance to find their way to a division championship and then, an 8 team play-off system with no conference championship games.

For example, here is how the conferences and divisions might lay out if you went by average recruiting rankings.

Conf #1                   Conf #2                 Conf #3                 Conf #4

Division 1A               Division 2A              Division 3A             Division 4A
Alabama                  Arkansas                 Maryland               Rutgers
Auburn                    Kentucky                Louisville                Boston College
Clemson                  Miami                     Indiana                  Duke
Florida                    Mich St                   NC State               Syracuse
Florida St                Miss St                   Pittsburgh              Ga Tech
Georgia                   N. Carolina              Vanderbilt               Wake Forest
Ole Miss                  Penn St                  Va Tech                 Northwestern
Tennessee              S. Carolina               W. Virginia              Illinois

Division 1B             Division 2B              Division 3B              Division 4B
LSU                      Okla State              Iowa                      Minnesota
Oklahoma              Arizona St               Missouri                  Colorado
Notre Dame           Oregon                   Texas Tech              Purdue
Ohio State            California                 Baylor                     BYU
Texas                   Nebraska                 Arizona                   Iowa State
Texas A&M            Michigan                  Oregon St               Kansas
UCLA                    TCU                       Utah                       Kansas State
USC                     Washington              Wash State             Houston

You would have 7 Division games each year with 2 crossover games in your conference, 1 game reserved for a Rivalry game and 2 rent-a-wins each season. Scheduling would be difficult in a proposition like this, but it could be done.

Play-Offs would begin the 1st of Dec, 2nd round the 3rd week of Dec and the NCG would be the 2nd week of January.

1A Winner plays 4B Winner, 1B Winner plays 4A Winner, etc, etc.

In this scenario the stronger teams weed each other out, as do the other teams in other Divisions that are more on the same level with each other. It gives the less dominant teams an opportunity to reach a Play-Off if they play well and once in the Play-Offs, you never know when lightning might strike and they might knock off the opponent from a stronger division.

Now none of this is likely to happen because it breaks up too many established conferences and would disrupt conference payouts, but I thought that this might be something to discuss.
Go Hogs Go!

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

rljjr

I like it. It's time to tear it all down and shake it up. Oh, and can we say that the NCAA has been eliminated in your scenario and a Commissioner of College Football has been established to oversee rules, regulations, penalties and enforcement along with a centralized officiating architecture?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: rljjr on February 14, 2017, 11:10:45 am
I like it. It's time to tear it all down and shake it up. Oh, and can we say that the NCAA has been eliminated in your scenario and a Commissioner of College Football has been established to oversee rules, regulations, penalties and enforcement along with a centralized officiating architecture?

Eh, this will never happen but it would equalize competition to a greater degree based on the recruiting limitations of each conference of opponents. The other thing that it would do is force the cream of the coaching ranks to the top, or out, with 3 of the 4 conferences having more equal schedules. As an example, if you have everyone in the current SEC West (with the exception of Miss State) drop off your schedule, you had better be putting up more wins despite picking up S. Carolina and Kentucky, along with Miami, Michigan St, N. Carolina and Penn St and 2 more games from the other division in your conference. That can't be more difficult than what we face now.

But, I think that a team like Alabama would have a tougher time of it with their Division schedule and then 2 of the teams from Div 1B. That would be a heck of a schedule, even for them.
Go Hogs Go!

tomarkansawyer

February 14, 2017, 03:57:40 pm #5 Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 08:04:51 pm by tomarkansawyer
Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 14, 2017, 09:17:31 am

SEC                          BIG                      PAC                            ACC

Div 1                        Div 1                    Div 1                          Div 1
Alabama                   Maryland              Arizona St                   Ark State
Auburn                     Nebraska              Arizona                       Louisiana Tech
Ole Miss                   Ohio State            Colorado                     U Conn
Miss St                     Mich St                 Colorado St                Memphis
LSU                          Michigan               Houston                     Cincinnati

Div 2                       Div 2                     Div 2                          Div 2
Arkansas                 Boston College       California                   Clemson
Kentucky                 Penn St                  UCLA                        N. Carolina
Missouri                   Pittsburgh              USC                          NC State
Kansas                     Illinois                  Stanford                   Duke
Kansas State             Rutgers                 Hawaii                      Wake Forest 

Div 3                       Div 3                       Div 3                         Div 3
Florida                     Iowa St                 Washington                  Virginia                                       
Georgia                    Purdue                  Wash State                  W. Virginia
S. Carolina                Indiana                  Oregon                       Va Tech
Tennessee                 Minnesota              Oregon St                   Ga Tech
Vanderbilt                  Iowa                     Boise St                     Louisville

Div 4                         Div 4                     Div 4                         Div 4
Oklahoma                   Northwestern         BYU                          Florida St
Texas                         Baylor                  Utah                          Miami
Texas A&M                  TCU                     Nevada                      UCF
Texas Tech                  Notre Dame         UNLV                         USF
Okla St                      SMU                   New Mexico                Syracuse

I'd like to see each conference go to 20 teams with 4 divisions. Each division (within the conference) plays another division for 2 years, then rotates. (9 conference games) The Bi-divisional winners play in the conference championship game. Each team is required to play one team from each conference (to complete the 12 game schedule). 4 Conference champs are auto invites to 8 team playoffs. 1st round are Rose (BIG vs PAC), Cotton (Highest non champ seed is host) Sugar (SEC vs seeded) and Orange (ACC vs Seeded). 2nd round are reseeded 1-4 with 1 and 2 seeds getting to host a home playoff semi-final. Then a College Super Bowl at the highest bidding venue.

I don't who would make the top 80 cut and I played around some with conference alignment. 64 is a good number, but it might cut it too small.

Bubba's Bruisers

You might as well go ahead and switch Ole Miss for Michigan in Conf. #1...divisions notwithstanding.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

sickboy

I think it's actually really smart. It would create a lot more parity in college football. But that's also why it would never happen. Too smart and too equal.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: sickboy on February 14, 2017, 06:42:34 pm
I think it's actually really smart. It would create a lot more parity in college football. But that's also why it would never happen. Too smart and too equal.

As far as true hardcore fans go I am not sure that this change would have any effect on their viewership, they are still going to watch their teams regardless of the Division/Conference arrangement. But there still remains the possibility that it could ramp up overall viewership in 3 of the 4 conferences for two reasons: 1) Getting all of the traditional killer teams in a conference by themselves might give their teams a better chance of playing through the season and getting to a play-off spot (which makes every game every week more important to fans) and 2) this being a new arrangement of teams with the opportunity to establish new rivalries/grudge matches, it would probably take several years for renewed and perhaps increased interest to wane to some extent and return to normal levels.

If marketed and promoted properly this could increase revenues for everyone involved and it would certainly rescue a conference like the Big 12 whose lesser teams have to be nervous that their conference seems to be hanging on by its fingertips. And whether you love or hate the Big 12, the loss of a P-5 conference because of a lack of stability would just push the envelope even further for 16 team Super Conferences. Might as well manage the process in advance instead of waiting for it to happen and then trying to manage in crisis mode. Being proactive is a far better approach.

In the end, it adds four more play-off games (more t.v. money) but it doesn't extend the season any further than it goes right now, which keeps college Administrators happy. The downside would be that CCG's would be eliminated though the Division winners in any conference would have an opportunity to eventually meet in the play-offs.
Go Hogs Go!

Dwight_K_Shrute

Why mess with a good thing.  CFB is all about regional rivalries and beating teams you aren't supposed to beat.  Conferences don't have to be fair and balanced.  Life isn't fair and balanced.

What I would like to see is 4 16 or 18 team conferences.  Take care of any any regional anomalies.  Example, move WVA to the SEC or ACC. 

Make ND join a conference or they can play Sun Belt teams.

Any B12 teams can't find a home in the Big 4.  TS.  That's what you get for being Texas, dicking around teams by pretending to be interested in expansion and for having Baylor in your conference. 

8 team playoff is 4 winners of conf championship games, and 4 at large.  At large teams not decided by committee but by Brent Musburger, based on who has the hottest chicks.  Full pictorials strongly encouraged for anyone wanting to be chosen as an at large team.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on February 15, 2017, 05:16:52 pm
Why mess with a good thing.  CFB is all about regional rivalries and beating teams you aren't supposed to beat.  Conferences don't have to be fair and balanced.  Life isn't fair and balanced.

What I would like to see is 4 16 or 18 team conferences.  Take care of any any regional anomalies.  Example, move WVA to the SEC or ACC. 

Make ND join a conference or they can play Sun Belt teams.

Any B12 teams can't find a home in the Big 4.  TS.  That's what you get for being Texas, dicking around teams by pretending to be interested in expansion and for having Baylor in your conference. 

8 team playoff is 4 winners of conf championship games, and 4 at large.  At large teams not decided by committee but by Brent Musburger, based on who has the hottest chicks.  Full pictorials strongly encouraged for anyone wanting to be chosen as an at large team.

That's what I have done here, including ND.
Go Hogs Go!

holeinthewall

Stupid.  So what you gonna do when teams recruiting changes re align the conferences?

NaturalStateReb

The trouble with making superconferences full of giants is that some of those giants will cease to be giant.  That's why all of the Power 5 teams--especially those in the SEC--need the Group of 5 teams.  If P5 teams are only going to play one another, everyone will be forced to accept fewer wins and more losses.  That's bad for programs and bad for fans.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

hogcard1964

Quote from: holeinthewall on February 21, 2017, 09:58:18 am
Stupid.  So what you gonna do when teams recruiting changes re align the conferences?

It's not "stupid", it's just someone's quantitate breakdown.  I think it would be interesting if this was done by perennial powers.

It would be interesting to see a conference chalk full of powers facing off against one another.

Alabama
Notre Dame
Ohio St.
USC
Texas
LSU
Oklahoma
Michigan
Miami

...I think this would be interesting...

bennyl08

Lot of problems with this. First and foremost, it destroys the very reason for sports and that is to win. The playoff that would result from this would fly in the face of competition. The best teams would get left out in favor of worse teams in order to make them feel better about themselves.

While it may seem to lead to parity, in reality it would do the opposite, well, depending on how you define the parity. You make it virtually impossible for anybody in conference 4 to get any good players while conference 1 gets even more highly rated recruits than they currently do. So yes, you end up playing teams that are closer in talent to yourself, you end up increasing the gap between the haves and the have nots.

You may have explained this and I missed it, but over what time scale does a team's recruiting define their conference? Are the conferences re-evaluated every 4 years? Can you move up or down a conference after any season if your 4 year average ranking moves up or down? What ranking would be used? 247? 247 composite?
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse