Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Snake stories here...

Started by HognitiveDissonance, July 20, 2011, 09:57:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

pigture perfect

I like the venomous ones too. I only kill cotton mouths because they are a little less fearful of me than I am of them. And that is only on rare occasions.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Verge

Quote from: kaptainkory on March 10, 2012, 06:35:47 pm
Hey, who knew hogvillians liked to talk snakes.  :)

I am webmaster of the Herps of Arkansas website.  With spring upcoming, I am here to answer your snake questions.

This is one of the most commonly misIDed snakes people ask me about:

Juvenile Texas Ratsnake by kaptainkory, on Flickr

On there with a different name. Wanting to go on one of the trips with you guys.

SultanofSwine

Quote from: Whiskey River on March 17, 2012, 06:03:03 am
I saw these three Thursday...

Those copperheads would have made pretty bow backings.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Whiskey River on March 17, 2012, 06:03:03 am
I saw these three Thursday...

Geez, where are you, the jungle?
Those are mighty big copperheads.

mellonhead

I have  a friend that had his right leg amputated just below the knee due to a rattler bite. He was hiking with a friend and by the time he got to a hospital gan green set in. I go out of my way to kill any poisinous snake.

SWD26

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on March 17, 2012, 02:52:31 am
Yes, I agree about swerving the car being dangerous, that is why I am very careful.  I slowly pull over to the side of the road, make sure no other cars are coming,  get out of the car.......& shoot them with my .357 with snake shot........I feel that I am saving the rattlesnakes from being run over by cars.....any snake I dispatch, was in my opinion...posing an immediate danger to someone, somehow......

Ha, my sentiments exactly! I hate poisonous snakes.

HuntinHog

Quote from: Albert Einswine on March 17, 2012, 11:30:34 am

Venomous snakes are the best!  Absolutely beautiful!!  I don't understand the irrational fear of snakes that the majority of people have, of course I was raised not to fear them and most are raised to hate them.

Most hatred is born of ignorance.

I don't get people's over-hypes fear of wasps and bees.  Snakes on the other hand, kill them all, let God sort them out (and I think we all know where he stands on the whole serpant issue).

southeasthog

I ran across this one 3 or 4 times during bow season.

The wife and I got to the lake about 3:00 p.m. or so on this day. We caught probably 25 or so crappie on this log. I even caught one on the other side of him and dripped water on him as I boated it. He stayed there the whole time.

Quote from: 1990sHogBallChild on March 04, 2023, 04:08:32 pmWe have peaked... lucked his way to two elite 8s by getting the most favorable draws in tourney history. Beat the most over-rated 1 seed in the history of college basketball in Gonzaga who would be a 6 seed if they played in a real conference. Then Muss's other 5 tourney wins are against an average of a 12 seed. A few dozen coaches could have done that. Two losing records in SEC play is as much as MA had in 8 years.

southeasthog

This is one I pasted in the "Hey Philo" thread.

Quote from: 1990sHogBallChild on March 04, 2023, 04:08:32 pmWe have peaked... lucked his way to two elite 8s by getting the most favorable draws in tourney history. Beat the most over-rated 1 seed in the history of college basketball in Gonzaga who would be a 6 seed if they played in a real conference. Then Muss's other 5 tourney wins are against an average of a 12 seed. A few dozen coaches could have done that. Two losing records in SEC play is as much as MA had in 8 years.

pigture perfect

That last one is pretty neat. Great pic.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

johnny cash

Have one bite your kid and see how much u like them. Call the law I kill all poisonous snakes. They are beautiful dead.

Virgil

Boy this thread gives me the g-by's every time I see it.  :-(
It's not what you push but what pushes you!!

Jackrabbit Hog

My story is really too long to tell here and it loses a lot by being one of those "you had to be there" things, but here's the short version.

From 1975-81, I worked on a minnow farm during summers (a very popular and highly coveted job in my hometown for high schoolers).  Naturally we ran into snakes all the time.  We generally kept our distance from water moccasins, but we would figure out goofy things to do with the non-poisonous ones - mainly yellow bellies.  One hot August morning we seined a load of minnows and there were an unusually high number of large yellow bellies flopping around in the sein.  When we finished loading the minnows on the truck, we got about 7 or 8 of the largest snakes out with a dipnet and put them in a 5 gallon bucket.  On our way back through town - we had to go through town to get from these ponds back to the shed - I drove and one of my buddies waited until we got right under the one stoplight in town and he dumped the bucket of snakes on that hot asphalt right under the stoplight.  People on the sidewalks started screaming as the snakes slithered off in all directions and we sped out of town.  When we got back to the shed, our boss was standing outside waiting on us.  Someone had recognized us - hey, it is a small town and we were pretty stupid - so we got to drive back into town to the police station.  The police chief tried to be serious and tell us what a dangerous thing we had done, but he couldn't finish because he started snickering and couldn't stop.  We ended up getting tickets for littering because they couldn't figure out anything else to charge us with, and our punishment was to round up all the snakes - dead and alive - and pick up trash all over town the following Saturday.  And it made the front page of our local weekly newspaper the next week.

My parents were so proud....
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

pigture perfect

That is awesome Jack. Funny stuff.