Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I want a National Championship

Started by jkelly107, November 09, 2013, 08:22:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

clutch

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on November 09, 2013, 10:37:52 pm
lets not let facts get in the way of your agenda

According to the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, Bielema's six-year contract, which runs through Dec. 31 of 2018, will pay the head coach in the neighborhood of $2.95 million annually.  Bonuses based on academic and on-field performance could push that number to as high as $3.65 million.

Last season with the Badgers, his seventh season in Madison, Bielema made just over $2.6 million.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/19/bielemas-contract-details-released/

That $5 mil number gets thrown around a lot, but that's not what he's really getting paid. However, it is what we are paying for him this season because they added the buyout in. So a big chunk of that $5 mil is going to Wisc, and only for this season.

hog.goblin

Saban - zero NCs at MSU
Meyer - zero NCs at BGSU and Utah
Miles - zero NCs at OSU
Brown - zero NCs at UNC
Ford - won a NC at Clemson, zero since
Spurrier - won a NC at FL, zero since

Most college coaches who win a NC at a school never when another one, much less one somewhere else.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hog.goblin on November 10, 2013, 11:47:21 am
Saban - zero NCs at MSU
Miles - zero NCs at OSU
Brown - zero NCs at UNC

Most college coaches who win a NC at a school never when another one, much less one somewhere else.

Don't forget Chezhead......................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

MiHogsMi

Quote from: hog.goblin on November 10, 2013, 11:47:21 am
Saban - zero NCs at MSU
Miles - zero NCs at OSU
Brown - zero NCs at UNC

Saban....LSU
Meyer.....very possibly at Ohio State
I don't view The University of Arkansas Football Program as Mr. CBB's personal Petri dish to experiment and tinker with for HIS pleasure and learning curve.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: MiHogsMi on November 10, 2013, 01:13:15 pm

Don't count your NC's before they are won......................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Doc

Quote from: Matt Burks on November 09, 2013, 08:38:33 pm
I disagree. Even Nutt had a chance to be in a National Championship game, but blew it in the SEC championship game against Fla.
I see this a lot when the topic comes up, but this is not true. Absolutely no way they put a 2-loss Arkansas team in the title game that was blown out at home by USC and lost at home to LSU. USC would've gotten in over Arkansas. Maybe LSU too. They probably would've made the championship game the rematch with Ohio State and Michigan.

Nutt's best chance was 1998. If Steorner doesn't fumble and the team isn't deflated for MSU the next week, Arkansas is undefeated going into a SECCG rematch with the Vols for a shot at the national championship.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: MiHogsMi on November 10, 2013, 09:03:37 am
No, I can't help it if you can't see the truth of the matter.  All I can do is try; the rest is up to you.

"Stupid is as stupid does.  :D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

ricoman

Quote from: redeye on November 09, 2013, 09:53:19 pm
The question is who will win more games 5 years from now. It's quite obvious why Malzahn is getting a lot out of his talent at Auburn, because he recruited them. He might have gotten more out of our current talent, too, but this is why every coach deserves the opportunity to bring in his own players. One thing you ABSOLUTELY CANNOT SAY is that Malzahn has always gotten more out of his players, because even though he was bringing in classes ranked in the 50's at Wisconsin, Bielema sent more players to the NFL then any coach in his 7 years there.

So you are saying he had the luxury of having more NFL players than any coach there right? Then why did he win only 2 bowls out of 6?

razorbackkid

May take some doing....but I'll work on it.
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

WoePigSooie

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on November 09, 2013, 09:19:58 pm
and neither has Petrino, Kelly, Briles, Peterson.  Offensive recruiting to ANY scheme has never been the problem.  When will you people realize that DEFENSIVE recruiting is why we haven't won a championship and what we have to improve in order to compete with Bama and LSU.

Use not the logic.  Confound it will.  -  Yoda Hog

GTOWNHOG

Quote from: jkelly107 on November 09, 2013, 08:58:49 pm
I took the my children and wife to Dallas when we played KSU and was really pumped for the next season. I truly thought we were looking at a chance to be in the NC game. Then everything fell apart. Kinda felt like I got kicked in the balls when JLS was hired. Then to see the lack of progress that this staff has made with player development and recruiting it just pisses me off.

Huh??   He was hired in December of 2012.  He had all of NINE weeks to recruit.  He landed Collins, and signed some good young offensive and defensive linemen.  Give the guy a legitimate chance.  How about three more recruiting classes??  If we are still having losing seasons, we can get rid of him.  GEEZ...
Good luck to ALL of our Razorback teams!!

hog.goblin

Quote from: MiHogsMi on November 10, 2013, 01:13:15 pm
Saban....LSU

So Saban, that's the only possible coach. And maybe Meyer, maybe.  I'm sure we can either to come here no problem, and I'm sure they'll both win just like they did at other schools not named Bama, Florida, LSU, and (maybe) Ohio St.

Jamie Jones

Quote from: jkelly107 on November 09, 2013, 08:22:10 pm
Even the most most die hard BB supporters would have to admit that BB is not a great coach. What scares me is if he has a few good years like say HDN and were stuck again.
The Arkansas job requires a great coach to win a NC. That is what we want right? As a razorback fan I want to be in the NC race every year and win one or two. BB didn't win a NC in WI. so what makes anyone think he will here. It will take a coach like Art Briles. Bobby Petrino, Gus Malzahn, Chip Kelly ,Chris Peterson and a few others. I am a Malzahn fan and truly feel like he would have been to AR as Briles is to Baylor. A coach who is connected with the coaches within our state and can recruit nationally. That ship may have sailed. I just don't want fans to get complacent and settle for a few 8 or 9 win seasons and think that's the best we can hope for. If nothing else BP has proven you can win big at AR. Don't settle for HDN.
Teams like Oregon, Boise State, TCU and Baylor have been in the NC picture on a frequent basis over the last few years. I see no reason why Arkansas can't. Arkansas has great facilities and is a beautiful area to live.  We just need the right coach.
You realize that NONE of the coaches you mentioned have a NC..right???
I'm a Hog fan. I never chant S-E-C! I hate all the other members.

hogsanity

Quote from: jhawg2009 on November 10, 2013, 03:36:05 pm
You realize that NONE of the coaches you mentioned have a NC..right???

He doesn't care.  Notice all if them run some sort spread and/or hurry up offense. That is wha it ALWAYS comes back to with these posters. It is all about the style of offense.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Jamie Jones

Quote from: hogsanity on November 10, 2013, 03:46:28 pm
He doesn't care.  Notice all if them run some sort spread and/or hurry up offense. That is wha it ALWAYS comes back to with these posters. It is all about the style of offense.
It has been that way for a LONG time. Dating back to Hatfield.
I'm a Hog fan. I never chant S-E-C! I hate all the other members.

Swine-as-wine

Even the most most die hard BB supporters would have to admit that BB is not a great coach. What scares me is if he has a few good years like say HDN and were stuck again.,,,,,,,,,,,,

Sheeez....maybe you oughta get ahold of that same dude that flew that Fire Nutt
banner over the damn stadium a few years back. You guys have the patience about
the size of a flea's scrotum, and remind me of a girl that's jealous of a homecoming
queen......wanting her boyfriend, and thinking that to be like her, you'll need to wear
the exact same clothes. Enjoy the damn game, win or lose, and when we win we'll
by gawd win.....till then........I wished the hell that you guys would stop wanting to
fire every damn coach that comes thru Fayetteville......past present, AND future.

BartIV

Quote from: HenduHog on November 10, 2013, 10:03:41 am
We would?
CERTAINLY?

Why not just say what you mean. Your head is so far up Gussie's ass that you can't see anything unless Gussie tells you. this whole "I want an NC" is a smoke-screen for a GUS agenda.

Either say what you mean or STFU. Subterfuge doesn't suit you since you suck at it.
Don't know Gus, but I definitely on the Gus Bus. Should have hired him the day Houston Nutt left.
Wouldn't have had the Bobby Petrino-John L. Smith- and this season disasters.

He won't come now. He took it as a slap in the face that we didn't grab him from Arkansas State.
Reminds me of the failure to hire Jimmy Johnson back in the day. Wanted to come but wouldn't have a chance at the job.

LJHOG

Teams like Oregon, Boise State, TCU and Baylor have been in the NC picture and do not play in the SEC.  None of them would have finished anywhere but in the bottom half of the SEC.

CDBHawg

Quote from: LJHOG on November 10, 2013, 04:12:17 pm
Teams like Oregon, Boise State, TCU and Baylor have been in the NC picture and do not play in the SEC.  None of them would have finished anywhere but in the bottom half of the SEC.

Yeah, right.

PonderinHog

Alright, anybody that DOESN'T want a national championship raise your hand...

footballfan

Quote from: Matt Burks on November 09, 2013, 08:38:33 pm
I disagree. Even Nutt had a chance to be in a National Championship game, but blew it in the SEC championship game against Fla. Petrino had a chance to be in the championship discussion, but that team got destroyed by LSU.
It's all about getting the right type of players for the right system or a once in a lifetime player like Dmac or Scam Newton. I would bet there are lot of the juniors and seniors on this hog team that CBB wouldn't have recruited if he was here years ago. Honestly I think many were last minute recruits even for Petrino.

Nutt never had a chance. We lost 2 before we ever played Florida, including a shellacking by USC. Petrino was never close either.

Flying Razorback

Quote from: BartIV on November 10, 2013, 03:58:17 pm

He won't come now. He took it as a slap in the face that we didn't grab him from Arkansas State.

Could someone please link this radio interview and/or press conference transcript?

I have never once read or heard where he said that.  However, I have read on this message board from random people multiple times that he is insulted we did not hire him from Arkansas State. 

Would you please finally help me find that source?  I want to know how so many people have heard this and I haven't.  Or did he tell it to you personally?  I'll believe you if he did, I'm just curious.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

Flying Razorback

Quote from: footballfan on November 10, 2013, 05:46:19 pm

Nutt never had a chance. We lost 2 before we ever played Florida, including a shellacking by USC. Petrino was never close either.

Correct.  People forget that the discussion was Michigan vs. Ohio State rematch until that game.  Ohio State was undefeated and Michigan's sole loss was to Ohio State in the final game. 

Florida barely passed Michigan in the BCS rankings AFTER winning the SEC and only having one loss.

Arkansas was ranked 9th in the BCS BEFORE the SEC Championship game.  If we had won that game we would have been ranked at best 8th, behind Ohio State, Michigan, LSU, USC, Louisville, Wisconsin, and Boise State.

Think about that, LSU was still ranked ahead of us in the BCS.  If we had won the SEC championship over Florida, there is zero mathematical chance we would have jumped any of the 1 loss teams ahead of us to join Ohio State in the game.

WilsonHog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on November 10, 2013, 01:24:33 am
Remember when Saban lost to Louisiana-Monroe? What a loser. They should have fired him in year one.

Good lord, guys. You can be frustrated about this season -- but still admit you don't know 1/1,000th of what you pretend to know about what is going on.

The angriest blowhards on Hogville are the ones who are the biggest hypocrites. How can you guys do that with a straight face -- blast the coaches and proclaim them certified failures, when you know full well you can do nothing but make up outrageously dire interpretations of every detail you can think of to criticize. You know you are talking out your asses. You pretend nobody notices.

How can YOU be so incompetent and still keep accusing our coaches of incompetence?

This.

WSPHOG

Quote from: Poop Hoggy Hogg on November 09, 2013, 10:43:26 pm
if we were in the big 12, we would've been in a couple national championship games in the last 20 years. go undefeated in the big 12, and we get in a national championship game easy. we have no chance of winning a national championship in the SEC. we can't even get in the SEC championship game. we need to step back and join the big 12 and let florida state have our spot.

???

hog.goblin

Quote from: FlyingRzrbkAF on November 10, 2013, 06:00:11 pm

Correct.  People forget that the discussion was Michigan vs. Ohio State rematch until that game.  Ohio State was undefeated and Michigan's sole loss was to Ohio State in the final game. 

Florida barely passed Michigan in the BCS rankings AFTER winning the SEC and only having one loss.

Arkansas was ranked 9th in the BCS BEFORE the SEC Championship game.  If we had won that game we would have been ranked at best 8th, behind Ohio State, Michigan, LSU, USC, Louisville, Wisconsin, and Boise State.

Think about that, LSU was still ranked ahead of us in the BCS.  If we had won the SEC championship over Florida, there is zero mathematical chance we would have jumped any of the 1 loss teams ahead of us to join Ohio State in the game.

I would assume the "almost" was prior to the LSU game.  IF we had beaten LSU, and IF we had beaten FL, we might have had a shot.

But that's 2 big IFs and based on our history I would have expected us to be left at 3rd.

PonderinHog

Quote from: hog.goblin on November 10, 2013, 06:57:00 pm
I would assume the "almost" was prior to the LSU game.  IF we had beaten LSU, and IF we had beaten FL, we might have had a shot.

But that's 2 big IFs and based on our history I would have expected us to be left at 3rd.
What was that USC score again?

Flying Razorback

Quote from: PonderinHog on November 10, 2013, 07:16:37 pm

This alone would have kept us out.  They didn't have that great a record at the end of the year either.

hog.goblin

Quote from: PonderinHog on November 10, 2013, 07:16:37 pm

DMac was injured
Mustain wasn't the starter yet
And I said we would still be left out, assuming we won 2 games we actually lost

But thanks for your contribution

PonderinHog

Quote from: hog.goblin on November 10, 2013, 07:53:19 pm
DMac was injured
Mustain wasn't the starter yet
And I said we would still be left out, assuming we won 2 games we actually lost

But thanks for your contribution
Sorry you took it that way.  USC curb stomped us.  We didn't belong on the same field with them with or without DMAC or Mustain.  If we had played them close and had won against LSU and Florida, I would say we were worthy of the chance to play for the NC.  Has any team ever been completely destroyed in the first game of the season and then gone on to play in the NCG?

Pigdiana Jones

STHU with saint Gus the hypocrite. You love him so much go to Awbarn where you can not only have an identity crisis but a fake "man of God."
"In the East, college football is a cultural exercise.

On the West Coast, it is a tourist attraction.

In the Midwest, it is cannibalism.

But in the South, college football is a religion, and every Saturday is a holy day."

Athog

Even the most most die hard BB supporters would have to admit that BB is not a great coach. What scares me is if he has a few good years like say HDN and were stuck again.
The Arkansas job requires a great coach to win a NC. That is what we want right? As a razorback fan I want to be in the NC race every year and win one or two. BB didn't win a NC in WI. so what makes anyone think he will here. It will take a coach like Art Briles. Bobby Petrino, Gus Malzahn, Chip Kelly ,Chris Peterson and a few others. I am a Malzahn fan and truly feel like he would have been to AR as Briles is to Baylor. A coach who is connected with the coaches within our state and can recruit nationally. That ship may have sailed. I just don't want fans to get complacent and settle for a few 8 or 9 win seasons and think that's the best we can hope for. If nothing else BP has proven you can win big at AR. Don't settle for HDN.
Teams like Oregon, Boise State, TCU and Baylor have been in the NC picture on a frequent basis over the last few years. I see no reason why Arkansas can't. Arkansas has great facilities and is a beautiful area to live.  We just need the right coach.

Wow how smart are you!!

hog.goblin

Quote from: PonderinHog on November 10, 2013, 08:12:00 pm
Sorry you took it that way.  USC curb stomped us.  We didn't belong on the same field with them with or without DMAC or Mustain.  If we had played them close and had won against LSU and Florida, I would say we were worthy of the chance to play for the NC.  Has any team ever been completely destroyed in the first game of the season and then gone on to play in the NCG?

Oh I agree, but the argument was whether or not we were close.  We were for a brief moment.  2 very winnable games from the "us or rematch discussion."

Would have been a rematch between OSU and michigan

PonderinHog

Quote from: hog.goblin on November 10, 2013, 08:32:28 pm
Oh I agree, but the argument was whether or not we were close.  We were for a brief moment.  2 very winnable games from the "us or rematch discussion."

Would have been a rematch between OSU and michigan
No doubt, we were close.  We were close in 2010 (zero blowout losses - cheating doesn't count, Auburn) and 2011.  We were probably the third best team in the country in 2011.  Just our luck #1 and #2 were in the same division in the same conference.  We'll get there one fine day.

DLUXHOG

I would like to just win the SEC West....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

DLUXHOG

I would also like to just win the SEC championship....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

GTOWNHOG

We have had the opportunity to play for National Championships at least 8 times since 1998.  Here they are:
1998 Tennessee    L 28-24
2003 LSU             L 55-24
2007 LSU             W50-48
2008 Florida         L 38-7
2009 Alabama       L 35-7
2010 Auburn         L 65-43
2011 Alabama       L 38-14
2012 Alabama       L 52-0

In each of these years, we played the eventual BCS National Champion. With the exception of 2007, we lost them all, most by a wide margin.   So until we can develop a team that can beat these teams with some regularity, we will be on the outside looking in.   
Good luck to ALL of our Razorback teams!!

rocknrollcoastie

I had to stop and eat a couple of PB&Js to have the strength to finish reading all of the idiotic posts like this one...the stupidity of Hogville never ceases to amaze me
Hard Rock Nights is on the air in 6 continents, 30 countries, over 100 stations and aired over 150 times a week or you can listen anytime anywhere on mixcloud
http://old.mixcloud.com/hardrocknights/

Hard Rock Nights finding tomorrow's classic rock today...it's what we do

dgfclt

You named a bunch of coaches that have not won a NC.  Oregon I think won one, the rest no.  Baylor has not been in the NC picture except for this year.

Pig In The City

I refuse to read posts from guys who say "what scares me the most", "what I fear", "I am so afraid".  Blah, blah, blah.

John Futrall

hogsanity

Quote from: HogFanDallas on November 11, 2013, 01:25:04 pm
I refuse to read posts from guys who say "what scares me the most", "what I fear", "I am so afraid".  Blah, blah, blah.

The funniest part of his post was when he said it would take a great coach to win a NC here, then proceeds to name a bunch of coaches that never have won a NC as HC.

He did touch on something I posted last week, what some of these guys really fear is that CBB WILL SUCCEED here and do so without a pass happy hurry up gimmicky offense.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

cosmodrum

Quote from: jkelly107 on November 09, 2013, 08:38:36 pm
I will always be a hog fan. Just tired of saying we will get them next year.

I'm a Hogs/Cubs/Royals/Chiefs fan.

You guys are amateurs. ;)
Go away, batin'

hawkhawg

Quote from: cosmodrum on November 11, 2013, 02:09:09 pm

Hogs and Cubs here, and people cant understand why I love Nolan so much.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: cosmodrum on November 11, 2013, 02:09:09 pm

I hope there are no sharp instruments in your house!  :D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

bigbadhog

Quote from: hogsanity on November 11, 2013, 01:57:57 pm
The funniest part of his post was when he said it would take a great coach to win a NC here, then proceeds to name a bunch of coaches that never have won a NC as HC.

He did touch on something I posted last week, what some of these guys really fear is that CBB WILL SUCCEED here and do so without a pass happy hurry up gimmicky offense.

Afraid that BB will succeed?  What is your problem?  We all want the Hogs to succeed, we just don't agree on how to get there.  You are delusional.  BB was always one of my least favorite coaches and I give him little chance to succeed here with his style (football and personal) but I would love nothing more than for him to do better in his 3rd and 4th year than BP did.  Bring on a NC...  BBH
Thanks for the WINS Coach Petrino!

sometimes a palm just does not do it. i need to hit myself with a hammer

RollHogTide

Quote from: LJHOG on November 10, 2013, 04:12:17 pm

I'll give you Boise State and TCU that they may finish in the bottom half; however, Baylor is legit and Oregon would be competing for an SEC divisional championship (i.e. aTm w/JFF - only much better than aTm) most years.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Well, I think all of us want a National Champion. Maybe we should be focused on getting more than 3-4 wins each year, & out of last place.... before we start any National Championship dreams.  Right now it looks like there are about 100 teams ahead of us....
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: RollHogTide on November 11, 2013, 08:43:33 pm
I'll give you Boise State and TCU that they may finish in the bottom half; however, Baylor is legit and Oregon would be competing for an SEC divisional championship (i.e. aTm w/JFF - only much better than aTm) most years.

This is the part where I would say that SEC defenses would stop the Baylor and Oregon attack, and the physical play of the SEC would grind them down to a nub by mid season. 

But against our defense...our best chance would be for CBB to go into the fetal position on the sideline and hope they would stop scoring on us.   :'(

I said after watching Oregon play twice this season that if they played Bama for the NC, they would absolutely stuff their offense and make people question that style.  But...Stanford used a watered down version of Bama, and did it long before they ever got the chance.

Those offenses look great until you put the ball into the hands of the player in space, and the athlete he has to beat is every bit as good as him.  Then...it doesn't look so unbeatable.     
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.