Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tommy Tuberville Comments On Finebaum

Started by Vantage 8 dude, November 17, 2017, 04:56:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Vantage 8 dude

I'm not a particularly big fan of Paul Finebaum, however, I was flipping through the various channels a little while ago and saw and interesting interview with Tommy Tuberville. Tuberville, who has publicly offered assistance to the new Awbarn president, offered some interesting comments and opinions about hiring coaches and ADs. I just thought I would summarize for anyone who might have an interest.

Concerning head coaches he said that a lot of ADs make the mistake of throwing big money after the "flavor of the month" coaching name. They make the mistake of believing that a HC by mere virtue of his having been successful elsewhere can automatically replicate that success coming into the SEC (hum.......this remind anyone of a coach we might know). What these coaches are going to have to understand is the speed and athleticism of the players throughout the league means you're going to have to be very good at both recruiting and development of the talent. Tommy also said that a successful SEC HC will have to be a good MANAGER of a high quality staff and CAN'T BE MERELY KNOWN A GREAT OFFENSIVE OR DEFENSIVE COACH. In other words, he not only has to know his craft, but also how to manage ALL aspects of the game. That's because few, if any, HCs are going to be able to consistently "Out 'X' and 'O'" his fellow HCs. TT also mentioned that unlike many other conferences where defense is almost an after thought in the SEC YOU WILL NOT WIN CONSISTENTLY WITHOUT PLAYING GOOD DEFENSE. Even if you're a great offensive genius you'll end up losing many of your games with a score of something like 51-50. 

As far as what to look for in a good AD be MORE CONCERNED WITH HIRING SOMEONE WHO ACTUALLY UNDERSTANDS ATHLETICS AND HOW TO MANAGE THE VARIOUS SPORTS PROGRAMS WITHIN THE UNIVERSITY. He believes that there has been trend toward far too many ADs who are primarily "bean counters" who only focus on the finances but NOT how to accurately judge a coach's ability to successfully run a program. Prior experience as actually having been a head coach is a prerequisite in his mind.

All-in-all I found the interview to be very informative. And while some have thrown Tommy's name around as a potential AD candidate I honestly haven't given it all that much thought. However, as he was laying out his thoughts and opinions I found myself saying to myself "You know what? What he's saying makes a ton of sense. He certainly knows coaching, especially in the SEC. He's certainly been around enough successful programs to learn what's needed to run a program. Heck, he might not be a bad candidate at all for AD at the U of A (F)".

Wild Boarnado

I tried to write down as much of the conversation as I could- So I'll add this to what you wrote - I hope you don't mind.

Tommy Tuberville on Finebama's Show

Here's an excerpt from the conversation between Paul and Tommy:

Tommy said, "More people must be involved in the decision making process of selecting a coach- not just the few - that give more people a voice and a buyin in supporting the program. The supporters need have say so.

Lot of these ADs keep hiring the flavors of the year and they don't fit into the situation of the university or the community. They don't know enough about the SEC. This is a tough conference to come into blind thinking you are going to out coach people. You don't out coach people. You better know something about the SEC and what type of players you need to bring in - your defense and your offense. 

You gotta be physical. Some of these coaches think you out coach people - you don't out coach people - you out recruit people.  You out X's and O's teams in the NFL. You don't do that in college. You come in and manage a program. And it is so hard to do the academics, all the things that go around - the alumni, the fans, all the things that go with college football has very little to do with X's and O's. Most of it is off the field. Recruiting is a major part of it. So you bring somebody who thinks they are going to out X and O Nick Saban or anybody in the league, that's not going to happen. The better players are going to win. ADs must hire someone who can recruit athletes. That's how you're going to win at your university.

--When asked if guys like Gruden, who have been out of college football for 9 years or more, can walk into a program and know how to recruit?

He said, "No. That can't happen. The big thing about hiring coaches  - because of the early signing day, you better have a staff hired and on the go your first three or four days - because if you don't you are going to lose that year."

--When asked about the composite of a coach in the SEC. Tommy said, "He has to be an overall coach - not just a defense or offense coach. They got to manage the program. They have to understand what they are getting into. You have to know how to play defense in the league because if you don't you will have no chance. Lots of teams play good offense but few play good defense. So it starts with defense. You have to know the mentality of all the teams you go against - not just in recruiting but on the field. You got to have manager. Nick Saban is not coaching that team - he's managing that team. He's got good coaches. He keeps winning games because he brings in guys who fit his system. He must have a system of offense, defense and kicking game.

ADs should come from coaching not bean counter financial guys.  because ADs have to hire good coaches and manage them. You gotta win games to bring in money to count."
"Cry 'SOOIE!,' and let slip the Hogs of War!" ~William ShakeSqueal

When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself. ~Dr. Wayne Dyer

Ā 

OneTuskOverTheLineā„¢

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Wild Boarnado on November 17, 2017, 04:59:01 pm
I tried to write down as much of the conversation as I could- So I'll add this to what you wrote - I hope you don't mind.

Tommy Tuberville on Finebama's Show

Here's an excerpt from the conversation between Paul and Tommy:

Tommy said, "More people must be involved in the decision making process of selecting a coach- not just the few - that give more people a voice and a buyin in supporting the program. The supporters need have say so.

Lot of these ADs keep hiring the flavors of the year and they don't fit into the situation of the university or the community. They don't know enough about the SEC. This is a tough conference to come into blind thinking you are going to out coach people. You don't out coach people. You better know something about the SEC and what type of players you need to bring in - your defense and your offense. 

You gotta be physical. Some of these coaches think you out coach people - you don't out coach people - you out recruit people.  You out X's and O's teams in the NFL. You don't do that in college. You come in and manage a program. And it is so hard to do the academics, all the things that go around - the alumni, the fans, all the things that go with college football has very little to do with X's and O's. Most of it is off the field. Recruiting is a major part of it. So you bring somebody who thinks they are going to out X and O Nick Saban or anybody in the league, that's not going to happen. The better players are going to win. ADs must hire someone who can recruit athletes. That's how you're going to win at your university.

--When asked if guys like Gruden, who have been out of college football for 9 years or more, can walk into a program and know how to recruit?

He said, "No. That can't happen. The big thing about hiring coaches  - because of the early signing day, you better have a staff hired and on the go your first three or four days - because if you don't you are going to lose that year."

--When asked about the composite of a coach in the SEC. Tommy said, "He has to be an overall coach - not just a defense or offense coach. They got to manage the program. They have to understand what they are getting into. You have to know how to play defense in the league because if you don't you will have no chance. Lots of teams play good offense but few play good defense. So it starts with defense. You have to know the mentality of all the teams you go against - not just in recruiting but on the field. You got to have manager. Nick Saban is not coaching that team - he's managing that team. He's got good coaches. He keeps winning games because he brings in guys who fit his system. He must have a system of offense, defense and kicking game.

ADs should come from coaching not bean counter financial guys.  because ADs have to hire good coaches and manage them. You gotta win games to bring in money to count."
In my summary I tried to highlight the main issues and comments he touched on. It was impossible for me to actually write down everything he said. However, thanks for adding a bunch to the outline I tried to present.

Wild Boarnado

You are welcome - thanks for letting me add what I wrote - seemed a waste not to share it after I got it all down.  :D

You did a great job summarizing.
"Cry 'SOOIE!,' and let slip the Hogs of War!" ~William ShakeSqueal

When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself. ~Dr. Wayne Dyer

Bubba's Bruisers

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

ChicoHog

The most important thing he said which I agree with is "you out recruit people".  that's why Saban, Meyer, Swinney and now james Franklin and Jim harbaugh have been successful at such a high level.  they out recruit people.  We can't compete with them consistently but we should be able to recruit evenly with 2/3 of the SEC if we hire the right guy (Brent Venables, maybe malzahn). 

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: ChicoHog on November 17, 2017, 05:13:15 pm
The most important thing he said which I agree with is "you out recruit people".  that's why Saban, Meyer, Swinney and now james Franklin and Jim harbaugh have been successful at such a high level.  they out recruit people.  We can't compete with them consistently but we should be able to recruit evenly with 2/3 of the SEC if we hire the right guy (Brent Venables, maybe malzahn). 

And I've said many times, this is why I don't believe UA is a very attractive job to most anyone who has real coaching options...name guys.  Recruiting is too difficult.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

The Hawg Marshal

Martygit

"You gotta be physical. Some of these coaches think you out coach people - you don't out coach people - you out recruit people.  You out X's and O's teams in the NFL. You don't do that in college."

This is the most significant part of his comments, at least to me.  If you don't have the "hosses" you're not going to compete - so it comes down to recruiting - not coaching during the game.  That's always been Arkansas' problem - recruiting - when Arkansas produces some good athletes from time to time, we do well.  However, when you produce mediocre athletes, it doesn't matter what a coach does in an attempt to coach them - to coin a phrase: "You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear"
RIP OTR, REV

fieldturf

It was a good interview and would love to have TT as our AD.

redeye

Funny that he'd say more people need to be involved in the hiring process.  Didn't he refuse to interview for our committee, because he wanted to keep it quiet and wanted to interview with JFB alone?

Ā 

TebowHater

I actually thought this is where he was most wrong. If it is true, we are screwed.

Do you really think we are going to out recruit Bama, LSU, Auburn, Georgia, Florida? That is literally impossible for us in Arkansas. Petrino won by absolutely out-coaching people. It is the same way Peterson won at Boise. At Arkansas, we HAVE to have a coach that can take 3 star talent and turn it into 5 star talent by putting them in positions to succeed.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: MartinGit on November 17, 2017, 05:22:36 pm
"You gotta be physical. Some of these coaches think you out coach people - you don't out coach people - you out recruit people.  You out X's and O's teams in the NFL. You don't do that in college."

This is the most significant part of his comments, at least to me.  If you don't have the "hosses" you're not going to compete - so it comes down to recruiting - not coaching during the game.  That's always been Arkansas' problem - recruiting - when Arkansas produces some good athletes from time to time, we do well.  However, when you produce mediocre athletes, it doesn't matter what a coach does in an attempt to coach them - to coin a phrase: "You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear"
Yes, you have to have the talent. However, whoever the HC is still needs to be able to utilize the player's abilities no matter what those are. You can have all the talent in the world; however, if you don't play it and/or misuse it the result will the same-failure.

HogHomer

It's pretty important to keep in mind with the coaches you mention is that where they are or were when they were "out recruiting" people.

Saban- LSU & Alabama
Meyer- Florida & Ohio State
Dabo- Clemson - different from the other as they haven't always been a recruiting powerhouse but sit in a very fertile recruiting area within their state and within 3 hours of their campus.
Franklin- Penn State - went through a rough patch after the scandal but was already a recruiting power before just had to weather the storm.
Harbaugh- Stanford & Michigan- Stanford wasn't know for it's high recruiting classes but Harbaugh was at Stanford during USC darkest period and capitalized on it. Kudos to Harbaugh for maximizing the opportunity but the recruiting base was already there. And Michigan is well Michigan regardless of what they did the years prior to Harbaugh.

These are some of the top coaches but they aren't the sole reason for their schools recruiting prowess. A lot of it is dependant on how strong your recruiting base is. Which most of the schools I listed have fertile recruiting grounds in their backyard.

Athog

Quote from: fieldturf on November 17, 2017, 05:27:17 pm

It was a good interview, but it is such a minor part of being a good AD. The days of making Bubba AD when he is through coaching is over. Money is a big part of making the job a success as well as being politically smart with the boosters. Where has TT been successful??

Justifiable Hogicide

Quote from: fieldturf on November 17, 2017, 05:27:17 pm
Tommy Tuberville would be a great AD at Arkansas.
We need him.

East TN HAWG

Quote from: Athog on November 17, 2017, 05:44:10 pm
It was a good interview, but it is such a minor part of being a good AD. The days of making Bubba AD when he is through coaching is over. Money is a big part of making the job a success as well as being politically smart with the boosters. Where has TT been successful??

I agree.  Of course an old coach is saying ADs should be ex coaches.  He makes some good points, but the finances has changed things.  Gotta have a man that can manage money. 

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: East TN HAWG on November 17, 2017, 05:47:33 pm
I agree.  Of course an old coach is saying ADs should be ex coaches.  He makes some good points, but the finances has changed things.  Gotta have a man that can manage money.
Well obviously doesn't necessarily exclude a former coach from also being able to handle money and budgets. However, even if you can manage money if you don't also have any real coaching or other athletic experience.......then you're back to square one.

The Hawg Marshal

Let Auburn hire him and if he turns out good for them, we can bring him"home" in a few years.

Pecos Hog

Sounds like TT values winning a bit more than JL.

East TN HAWG

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on November 17, 2017, 05:50:04 pm
Well obviously not necessarily excludes a former coach from also being able to handle money and budgets. However, even if you can manage money if you don't also have any real coaching or other athletic experience.......
Agreed.  That's why I think someone like Scanlon makes sense. 

factchecker

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on November 17, 2017, 05:50:09 pm
Let Auburn hire him and if he turns out good for them, we can bring him"home" in a few years.

Agreed.  I think it's time Auburn takes their rightful place as our farm team/d league program.  ;)
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Ā 

Piggfoot

Hogville will think Tuberville is an idiot because every knowledgeable Hogville poster knows you've got to wear the right flavor of the month uniform and helmet and coach 'em up and out scheme 'em to win in the SEC. 
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: Piggfoot on November 17, 2017, 05:53:57 pm
Hogville will think Tuberville is an idiot because every knowledgeable Hogville poster knows you've got to coach 'em up and out scheme 'em.
Nope I just think he needs to have more on his resume, you know like some are saying about Norvell.

East TN HAWG

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on November 17, 2017, 05:56:45 pm
Nope I just think he needs to have more on his resume, you know like some are saying about Norvell.

Your learning.  LOL

The Hawg Marshal

buffaload

Quote from: MartinGit on November 17, 2017, 05:22:36 pm

+1.

Martygit

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on November 17, 2017, 05:56:45 pm

Assuming that this comment is not sarcastic - oh, never mind, it's obvious that it is
RIP OTR, REV

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Paul

I don't see TT as the AD at Arkansas...maybe Cincy.  He's never been a Hog & never will be

ChicoHog

Quote from: TebowHater on November 17, 2017, 05:36:40 pm
I actually thought this is where he was most wrong. If it is true, we are screwed.

Do you really think we are going to out recruit Bama, LSU, Auburn, Georgia, Florida? That is literally impossible for us in Arkansas. Petrino won by absolutely out-coaching people. It is the same way Peterson won at Boise. At Arkansas, we HAVE to have a coach that can take 3 star talent and turn it into 5 star talent by putting them in positions to succeed.
We are not going to out recruit them but we can do better than we have been doing.  We need to get even with A&M. Scarolina, Tenner and beat the Mississippi schools.  Home grown talent is a huge help (ask Petrino) but we have to supplement out of state and not miss on guys.  Especially on defense. 

Peterson didn't play anybody at Boise until the bowl game.  You can out scheme people and win a few games, especially bowl games with a month to prepare) but over the long haul talent beats scheme.

ChicoHog

November 17, 2017, 06:36:17 pm #33 Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 09:33:25 pm by ChicoHog
Quote from: HogHomer on November 17, 2017, 05:38:58 pm
It's pretty important to keep in mind with the coaches you mention is that where they are or were when they were "out recruiting" people.

Saban- LSU & Alabama
Meyer- Florida & Ohio State
Dabo- Clemson - different from the other as they haven't always been a recruiting powerhouse but sit in a very fertile recruiting area within their state and within 3 hours of their campus.
Franklin- Penn State - went through a rough patch after the scandal but was already a recruiting power before just had to weather the storm.
Harbaugh- Stanford & Michigan- Stanford wasn't know for it's high recruiting classes but Harbaugh was at Stanford during USC darkest period and capitalized on it. Kudos to Harbaugh for maximizing the opportunity but the recruiting base was already there. And Michigan is well Michigan regardless of what they did the years prior to Harbaugh.

These are some of the top coaches but they aren't the sole reason for their schools recruiting prowess. A lot of it is dependant on how strong your recruiting base is. Which most of the schools I listed have fertile recruiting grounds in their backyard.
Totally agree.  When mal Moore hired Saban at alabama he said "I hope i hired the best coach in the country".  Saban responded "I may not be the best coach but I am the best recruiter".  that is so important.  Clemson was decent but Swinney and his staff are now recruiting on another level.  Ohio St has always recruited well as has Florida but Meyer has brought both to another level.  McElwain dropped off somewhat at UF and it cost him.  Same with Franklin at Penn St.  he has recruited better thanPpaterno.  He also recruited well at Vandy compared to previous coaches and compared to current coach Derek Mason. 

IronHog

You can beat most teams with superior X's and O's if you have adequate athletes....

Just silly to say otherwise
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

OtterHog

I'm not even convinced he'd rather have the job here over the same job at Auburn.

We could very well be HIS plan b, so I don't really want Tubs.

ChicoHog

Quote from: IronHog on November 17, 2017, 06:40:29 pm
You can beat most teams with superior X's and O's if you have adequate athletes....

Just silly to say otherwise
that's what I mean.  Recruiting the athletes.  The guys who someday will play in the NFL, especially on defense.  easier to teach offense. 

Acehawg

He's not that smart I wouldn't worry about what he says.  He's a decent coach and that's about it.  Not AD material.

jvanhorn

That sure sound like Norvell to me.  Evidently he can even do a lot with a 2 star player.  I could live with Tuberville as AD and Norvell as coach.

HogHomer

Quote from: ChicoHog on November 17, 2017, 06:32:03 pm
We are not going to out recruit them but we can do better than we have been doing.  We need to get even with A&M. Scarolina, Tenner and beat the Mississippi schools.  Home grown talent is a huge help (ask Petrino) but we have to supplement out of state and not miss on guys.  Especially on defense. 

Peterson didn't play anybody at Boise until the bowl game.  You can out scheme people and win a few games, especially bowl games with a month to prepare) but over the long haul talent beats scheme.
It would be great if we could increase our recruiting to match the SEC schools you listed but all those schools have a better recruiting base there for we are already fighting an uphill battle. We still probably never out recruit Tenner or AM and Miss and Ole Miss have a crazy juco system in their state where they get a number of their players from. However they aren't recruiting at an Alabama LSU or Auburn level and so we can compete against them realistically. But we aren't going to do it by out recruiting them. We do it by having a great play caller on offense and maximize the potential of the players we do get.

We agree that we can and should challenge UT, AM, MSU and UM but our plans of how to achieve it are different.

fieldturf

Quote from: Athog on November 17, 2017, 05:44:10 pm

He's a people person and can be persuasive in firm positive way, but at the same time makes it kind of comical.  Really like listening to what he's got to say.  Keeps you on edge to what he has got to say next.... 

bphi11ips

Quote from: Paul on November 17, 2017, 06:28:29 pm
I don't see TT as the AD at Arkansas...maybe Cincy.  He's never been a Hog & never will be

It is common knowledge that Tubberville accepted Broyles handshake offer to replace Danny Ford.  John White's committee screwed it up.  Tommy Tubberville is about as Razorback as they come.  However, he was never in the right place at the right time to play or coach for the Razorbacks.  Right now he is exactly what the football team needs as AD.  Whether that is true of overall athletics should be part of the equation.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Justagp

Yes, I agree and you can add Dan Mullen to your list.

Sivad

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 17, 2017, 07:00:16 pm
It is common knowledge that Tubberville accepted Broyles handshake offer to replace Danny Ford.  John White's committee screwed it up.  Tommy Tubberville is about as Razorback as they come.  However, he was never in the right place at the right time to play or coach for the Razorbacks.  Right now he is exactly what the football team needs as AD.  Whether that is true of overall athletics should be part of the equation.
An accurate recitation of the facts.
Tommy would be the perfect choice for our AD.

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: MartinGit on November 17, 2017, 06:14:55 pm
Assuming that this comment is not sarcastic - oh, never mind, it's obvious that it is
Yeah it definitely was.

Arthur pigby sellers.

Remember that successful recruiting is not always a matter of stars.  You don't have to have all 4-5 stars as long as you have a coach good at projecting which 3 star players fit your system and have the potential to become major contributors.  Petrino was a poor recruiter, but he happened upon players that fit his system well. Mullen is not out recruiting the hogs but he's an excellent coach who recruits the perfect QB for his system.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: East TN HAWG on November 17, 2017, 05:47:33 pm

Why?
For real, why?

Why not hire a bean counter or two as members of his staff?
Let the AD be in direct control of hiring, firing, monitoring successes and goals, and schmoozing.

Why have people dreamt up this need for an AD to be a marketing and finance expert?
SUCCESS on the field, hardwood, etc is the best marketing tool of a program.  By far.
Who's gonna bring that success?
Someone who understands how to spot a good coach who can also translate the local culture, strengths, and weaknesses into success?
Or a marketing goofball that counts the beans and determines the color code of our uniforms?
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Jimbob111

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on November 17, 2017, 04:56:46 pm
I'm not a particularly big fan of Paul Finebaum, however, I was flipping through the various channels a little while ago and saw and interesting interview with Tommy Tuberville. Tuberville, who has publicly offered assistance to the new Awbarn president, offered some interesting comments and opinions about hiring coaches and ADs. I just thought I would summarize for anyone who might have an interest.

Concerning head coaches he said that a lot of ADs make the mistake of throwing big money after the "flavor of the month" coaching name. They make the mistake of believing that a HC by mere virtue of his having been successful elsewhere can automatically replicate that success coming into the SEC (hum.......this remind anyone of a coach we might know). What these coaches are going to have to understand is the speed and athleticism of the players throughout the league means you're going to have to be very good at both recruiting and development of the talent. Tommy also said that a successful SEC HC will have to be a good MANAGER of a high quality staff and CAN'T BE MERELY KNOWN A GREAT OFFENSIVE OR DEFENSIVE COACH. In other words, he not only has to know his craft, but also how to manage ALL aspects of the game. That's because few, if any, HCs are going to be able to consistently "Out 'X' and 'O'" his fellow HCs. TT also mentioned that unlike many other conferences where defense is almost an after thought in the SEC YOU WILL NOT WIN CONSISTENTLY WITHOUT PLAYING GOOD DEFENSE. Even if you're a great offensive genius you'll end up losing many of your games with a score of something like 51-50. 

As far as what to look for in a good AD be MORE CONCERNED WITH HIRING SOMEONE WHO ACTUALLY UNDERSTANDS ATHLETICS AND HOW TO MANAGE THE VARIOUS SPORTS PROGRAMS WITHIN THE UNIVERSITY. He believes that there has been trend toward far too many ADs who are primarily "bean counters" who only focus on the finances but NOT how to accurately judge a coach's ability to successfully run a program. Prior experience as actually having been a head coach is a prerequisite in his mind.

All-in-all I found the interview to be very informative. And while some have thrown Tommy's name around as a potential AD candidate I honestly haven't given it all that much thought. However, as he was laying out his thoughts and opinions I found myself saying to myself "You know what? What he's saying makes a ton of sense. He certainly knows coaching, especially in the SEC. He's certainly been around enough successful programs to learn what's needed to run a program. Heck, he might not be a bad candidate at all for AD at the U of A (F)".

Tubbs has been trotting out this same tired line of crap forever because it's what he believes not because it's true.

He's full of crap about not being able to outcoach other coaches. Does anyone think, by any stretch of the imagination, that Mississippi State has anywhere close to the talent that Alabama has?

No? And yet, MS took them to the end of the fourth quarter. THAT is coaching.

Does anyone think Troy has the talent that LSU has?  No?  THAT is coaching.

A good coach needs to develop what they recruit and recruit the talent to run their system. A good coach needs to be able to hire quality assistants who are good at their coaching position in evaluating, developing, and teaching players.

But his "strong defense" is crap and to be honest, since the design of the forward pass, it has been. A strong defense has to be on point 100% of the time because a single long bomb pass can win the game.

Tubbs is spewing a belief that is not being utilized by the majority of coaches today. Alabama has a strong, very strong, defense. So does Clemson. But they also have good offenses that can score points and more importantly, they have coaches who can develop talent and game plan for that talent. Tubbs is a dinosaur. Let him fossilize. He hasn't been relevant in over a decade.

"DO NOT POST IN THE GAME THREAD ANYMORE TODAY OR YOU WILL RECIEVE A 30 BAN!"--

Multiple play-by-play posters followed by "Good job, D" and "Way to go, Offense" is so interesting to read over and over as the team gets blown out and the coaches flounder. I can't figure out why game threads don't have 60 to 80 pages now.

Am I the only one that misses the old, interesting game threads?

The Hawg Marshal

I said it in another thread but, I'll suck it up and adjust to Gus as coach, but Tubs as AD too is just too much to ask.

jdevers