Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why did Curl grab the jersey?

Started by codeHog, September 23, 2017, 11:52:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: theFlyingHog on September 24, 2017, 02:15:13 pm
Bama writes the dang book on walking that line.

Absolutely. Which brings up another topic, but a related one. The better the defense is—i.e. Bama—the more they get away with. This is beyond the fact that refs will make a call one time (like a hold), ignore it the next, as we've been talking about. A great, aggressive defense will be extended latitude that others won't get. And I don't think it's a conscious decision by the officials. But it's how borderline calls go their way. It's an 'advantage' that great defenses have going into each game.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

LRHawg

There should have been no need for a makeup call, because their left tackle grabbed our end as Mond flushed out of the pocket and ran. It was painfully obvious. The refs were garbage.

Mo_Better_Hogs

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on September 24, 2017, 02:11:17 pm

You point out a key thing—Curl is a FRESHMAN. In the future, he'll be able to do some things that won't be seen (or as obvious). He'll learn how much he can get away with. Sometimes he'll gamble and get caught. Think about Alabama's historically strong secondary. How much do they get away with? And you know there are some techniques taught by Saban that ride the line of legal/illegal.

Well, we'll never reach Alabama status as a whole. But here's what can happen. Curl--who I think will be really good, maybe great--can get such a strong reputation, like pre-season All-SEC, that a few of those borderline calls won't go against him.

And I'm not saying that jersey call was borderline--too much cloth and for too long. But had it not been called, even if they showed the isolated clip of the play, you'd see the bad pass hit the deck and you wouldn't think a thing about it.

TulsaHawg

Quote from: LRHawg on September 24, 2017, 02:34:30 pm
There should have been no need for a makeup call, because their left tackle grabbed our end as Mond flushed out of the pocket and ran. It was painfully obvious. The refs were garbage.

I saw that when it happened, and said there's a hold.  The OLM clearly pulled our guy's jersey, but no call.

swineology

Quote from: codeHog on September 23, 2017, 11:52:57 pm
was he tired, just getting beat or does that happen a lot and he just got caught?

Freshman, still learning

Dude will be legit in  2 years

Hoggish1

Quote from: b-ash on September 24, 2017, 08:25:35 am
Even if he gets away with it, they kick the fg.  Allen still gets picked and we lose. 

This is hilarious.  Learn something about probability then review your post.  You'll see how absurd your reasoning is.

Squinky The Curse

Quote from: Deep Shoat on September 24, 2017, 12:22:03 pm
Ill say this one time, because it needs to be said.

The ref cost Mond 1, maybe two yards.  Not a TD.

Our DB let up on taking him out of bounds BECAUSE the ref blew the whistle.  He would have taken him out well short of the gl without the whistle.

Of course, everyone is too ignorant to admit that.

Wow, that is some wishful thinking on your part.

Mond had a TD, no one let up.

Squinky The Curse

Quote from: LRHawg on September 24, 2017, 02:34:30 pm

If you're talking about Mond's big run, that was #64, the center, and he wasn't holding.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/SECcountry/status/911642713484926976[/tweet]

Watch the play again:

https://twitter.com/SECcountry/status/911642713484926976

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on September 23, 2017, 11:57:03 pm
Happens 90% of the time. Usually there has to be some kind of redirection when the ball was thrown to a catchable position. Neither of those conditions existed. Ref should have pocketed his flag.

Or so I think.

If DB's are allowed to hold receivers, the the pass routes will be altered.  Only takes a half step off to be the difference between a completion, incomplete...or not getting open, or thrown to at all.  Holding is holding, it's a penalty & needs to be called every time it happens, or do away with the rule altogether.  Way too much DB holding going on now, & too many getting away with it.  All defensive holding on receivers, should be 15 yard penalties & auto 1st downs. 
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

smb

Quote from: Steef on September 24, 2017, 04:44:24 am

Watching the game with a friend, I said at the time that was a "payback" penalty for screwing them out of a touchdown.

The pass was not catchable.
This.
GeorgiaHOG

Tiredofhogssucking

Total penalties
Texas A&M. 6-36 with their last penalty called with 8:07 left in 2nd Qtr score was 21-10

Arkansas 9-69 with last penalty called in OT. 

Seemed the refs spent the rest of the game trying to help erase the bad call on the Mond 80 yard run. 

Kevin

Quote from: Tiredofhogssucking on September 25, 2017, 06:44:47 am
Total penalties
Texas A&M. 6-36 with their last penalty called with 8:07 left in 2nd Qtr score was 21-10

Seemed the refs spent the rest of the game trying to help erase the bad call on the Mond 80 yard run. 

That is interesting
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

hogsanity

Quote from: Steef on September 24, 2017, 04:44:24 am

Watching the game with a friend, I said at the time that was a "payback" penalty for screwing them out of a touchdown.

The pass was not catchable.

Catchable/non catchable does not apply to defensive holding, only to pi.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Steef

Quote from: hogsanity on September 25, 2017, 08:34:05 am
Catchable/non catchable does not apply to defensive holding, only to pi.

True.

But it was called PI.

bphi11ips

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

hogsanity

Quote from: Steef on September 25, 2017, 09:08:16 am
True.

But it was called PI.

I was watching on my phone and it froze up right after they showed the replay so I did not get to see the ref signal. Thought they called holding on the grab before the pass.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Steef

Quote from: hogsanity on September 25, 2017, 09:15:41 am
I was watching on my phone and it froze up right after they showed the replay so I did not get to see the ref signal. Thought they called holding on the grab before the pass.

Before I posted my first reply to you, I went & double checked the stats. Didnt want to misremember.

Stats show PI.

I agree with you that 'holding' would have been legitimate. He was holding. Not impeding, but that is moot.

Pass was uncatchable. Zebra was gonna throw that flag, regardless.

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: sickboy on September 24, 2017, 12:26:36 pm
Any of you guys played CB? I played one half of a football game at corner. I played in a competitive men's flag football league, so all passing. I was about 6'1", 190 at the time. Not fast at all, but in pretty good shape at that point. Meaning I was strong enough to bump at the line, but I played against a D2 QB/WR combo who played high school ball at Long Beach Poly. I'm telling you it's the hardest position on the field. I've played QB, RB, TE, WR, OL, DE and MLB in my football days. Nah, Playing against a QB and a WR who had timing and rhythm was infinitely harder than any of those positions. If I was a CB, I'd grab every single time.
It's taught to jam at the initial point of contact within 5yds of the LOS.  After that it's all understanding how to read the QB's eyes, situation awareness of not losing the WR (if playing man), or maintaining your area of responsibility if playing zone.  If playing man to man coverage, it's literally slap boxing until the play is over.  DB's have lost the art to shuffle or back peddle with fast turn and go reaction.  Prime Time Dion Sanders was all world with this technique.

Curl will be a shutdown CB barring any injuries.  The kid is fearless and will do nothing but grow into his position.  Now the question I have is why didn't DC CPR assign ONE guy to be Christian Kirk's shadow.  The long pass for a TD probably never would've happened if he had that one guy in his hip pocket.  The OT TD was a defensive FUBAR - SS Santos R. should have never been covering Kirk. Wrong Wrong Wrong.  Santos R. is aggressive and good at being a Safety providing run stop support and over the top coverage if DB gets smoked, not one on one with the Teams best WR and player.  Ok I'm done...

Youngsta71701

Quote from: codeHog on September 23, 2017, 11:52:57 pm
was he tired, just getting beat or does that happen a lot and he just got caught?
Happens a lot and he just got caught because he's an Arkansas player. If A&M would have done it I can almost guaran damn tee you nothing would have been called. With all that being said there was no need to do it. He was already in perfect position.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Kevin

like to see calloway get more snaps
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

dhizzle

From Paul Rhodes on this play you're talking about.

Didn't want to talk about the PI call. Not counting it as a bust. "There was no bust on that, there was a great play by our defensive back on coverage on that play."

311Hog

Quote from: Tiredofhogssucking on September 25, 2017, 06:44:47 am
Total penalties

watching the game i definitely felt like the refs were trying to make up for the mess up on the Mond non step out TD before half.  I mean the Curl call him grabbing the jersey though he didn't pull on it etc. made it easy for them to call it.  What i found bad was on the Allen pick play to end it A&M defender was holding the Hog receivers hand back clearly it should have and would have been called if the refs were not in "make up mode" for A&M

LA Football fan

It was a crap call at a crap time.  We had a wheel route called earlier in the game and as our rb turned up field and PAST the db you could clearly see him reach out and grab the back of the jersey.  The jersey stretched out a good 6-8 inches or more and it clearly impeded our receiver getting up field and being wide open.  NO CALL.  So I don't want to hear about it was a good call.  If you aren't going to call it on A&M and they were holding all day long, then you don't call it on us in overtime either.  This crew was bad all the way around and there is no denying it. 

dhizzle

Coach B said he sent in about 10 plays to the SEC for clarification and some missed calls. He said ,there were a lot of non flags that came on critical drives or big plays. O'Grady not being given a PI call on the interception was one.

The camera angle on that play was poor I didn't even know there should have been PI. I do agree the refs where trying to make up for the Mund run.

The real problem is  4 of the 7 busts accounted for 222 yards and 24 points