Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Another 2013 BBall Prospect to Watch

Started by RazorAg, November 17, 2012, 10:57:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RazorAg

'm starting to focus on Juco players that might be a fit for us in the 2013 class, and a kid that I really like is Elgin Cook.  6'6 190 Wing that is extremely agressive, tough, athletic and is scoring it a very good clip for Steve Forbes and Northwest Florida State.  We were associated with Cook several months ago, but only one quick mention.  We recruited his PG, Chris Jones, who signed with Louisville.

Here's an interesting tidbit about Cook.  He's the son of Alvin Robertson.  Originally from Milwaukee, he was shot at his senior year in high school and moved to Texas to live with Alvin.  Has landed at NWF with Coach Forbes, who is a great coach, and who has a great relationship with our staff.

Keep your eye on this guy.  Here's a YouTube video (

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMkNVYP4-fg) of him back in 2011.

The_Iceman

Are these just names you are throwing out, or do you know of us actively recruiting him?

He looks like a great fit for us. Good ball handling and finishing skills. His jump shot doesn't look great, but it's something he may have worked on.

RazorAg

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 18, 2012, 11:51:28 am
Are these just names you are throwing out, or do you know of us actively recruiting him?

He looks like a great fit for us. Good ball handling and finishing skills. His jump shot doesn't look great, but it's something he may have worked on.

As I said in the post, we have been linked to him. If you're asking about Mostella, too, I was just throwing his name out there as someone we should look at.

yraciv

November 18, 2012, 01:24:45 pm #3 Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 01:28:36 pm by yraciv
Man Alvin Robertson has some good bloodlines.  Tyrell Johnson, who played at Arkansas State, and briefly in the NFL, was his son in Arkansas.  Don't know much about this guy, but he looks like he'd be a good fit.  We could always use and athletic wing, and if he plays D anything like Pops, sign him up.

Looks like his stats through the first 5 games are 19.6 MPG, 17.2 PPG, 62 FG%, 6 RPG, 1.4 APG, 3 TPG, 2 SPG, 1.8 BPG.  So he does it all, except shoot the three.

The_Iceman

Quote from: RazorAg on November 18, 2012, 01:22:49 pm
As I said in the post, we have been linked to him. If you're asking about Mostella, too, I was just throwing his name out there as someone we should look at.

K just wondering.

I'm worried about replacing BJ next year. Unless Bell really improves from year 1 to 2, we are going to miss BJ in 2013.

Swinesong1

Quote from: RazorAg on November 18, 2012, 01:22:49 pm
Looks like Mostella may be Okie St bound.

RazorAg

Quote from: Swinesong1 on November 18, 2012, 02:42:16 pm
Looks like Mostella may be Okie St bound.

Yep.  Came here to post that if someone else hadn't already gotten to it.

Swinesong1

Quote from: RazorAg on November 17, 2012, 10:57:07 pm
'm starting to focus on Juco players that might be a fit for us in the 2013 class, and a kid that I really like is Elgin Cook.  6'6 190 Wing that is extremely agressive, tough, athletic and is scoring it a very good clip for Steve Forbes and Northwest Florida State.  We were associated with Cook several months ago, but only one quick mention.  We recruited his PG, Chris Jones, who signed with Louisville.

Here's an interesting tidbit about Cook.  He's the son of Alvin Robertson.  Originally from Milwaukee, he was shot at his senior year in high school and moved to Texas to live with Alvin.  Has landed at NWF with Coach Forbes, who is a great coach, and who has a great relationship with our staff.

Keep your eye on this guy.  Here's a YouTube video (

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMkNVYP4-fg) of him back in 2011.
Another interesting tidbit is he would be a three year player rahter than the normal two year juco player.  On pace to graduate as a freshman.

The_Iceman

Richard Davenport just wrote an article on Cook.....

Tick Hog

The_Iceman

Quote from: tick hog on November 23, 2012, 08:23:02 am
How many guys can we sign?

1. Wade
2. Scott
3. Clarke
4. Madden
5. Mickelson
6. Qualls
7. Williams
8. Bell
9. Wagner
10. Portis
11. Kingsley
12. Powell
13. Young

So to sign Cook, we would obviously need another player to leave, like Powell or Young.

Swinesong1

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 23, 2012, 08:51:41 am
1. Wade
2. Scott
3. Clarke
4. Madden
5. Mickelson
6. Qualls
7. Williams
8. Bell
9. Wagner
10. Portis
11. Kingsley
12. Powell
13. Young

So to sign Cook, we would obviously need another player to leave, like Powell or Young.
As it stands now, one player has to leave.  You left off Harris, so if another player is signed, two players would have to leave.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Swinesong1 on November 23, 2012, 12:02:02 pm
As it stands now, one player has to leave.  You left off Harris, so if another player is signed, two players would have to leave.

I knew I was forgetting someone. Yeah your right, two would have to leave to add Cook. The most likely would be Young and Powell (overseas if not NBA).

choppedporkextrasauce

if the kid is athletic as his dad I would think he could be really fun to watch if we get him.

Alvin along with Darrell Walker was one of the greatest guard tandems in Arkansas Basketball history. They were brilliant under Sutton, would have fit in with Nolan's teams as well. Alvin was one of those players who was tough as nails. His attitude on the court allowed us to compete at the highest level.

whosiskid

Love his first name (Baylor is one of my five or six all time favorite players).

choppedporkextrasauce, big time agreement about Walker and Robertson. If Walker had had a jump shot he would have been a perennial all pro. As it is, he was a worse shooter than Ronnie Brewer. As an Arkansan living in Chicago, I was both a Razorback and Bulls fan. But as much as I loved Michael (I watched just about every game of his that was televised during times I didn't have to work for his entire Chicago career - always with a sense of shock at how astonishing he was), I was always incredibly proud when he would say that Alvin Robertson was one of only two guards who gave him problems on the court, the other being Joe Dumars. Sadly, Alvin just seems to have a ton of problems off the court. But man, he was quick. I remember he used to tape his wrists so the refs could see his hands better. He found that he was called for fewer fouls when they could grasp just how quick he was. Isn't he still only one of two players to have had a quadruple double? I think he did it: points, assists, steals, rebounds. Nate Thurmond did it points, assists, rebounds, blocks. I don't know if anyone has done it since Alvin.

But I'm guessing we won't have a slot for him, though possibly both BJ and Powell leave. But with Moses and Portis coming next year, can you imagine how good this team would be with those two and Harris joining up? Especially with this year's freshmen so much better than I think most of us had hoped.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

Pork Twain

I think it is pretty much a sure thing that Young will move on and might take Powell with him
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/