Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What needs to happen the remainder of the season?

Started by davehog, October 23, 2016, 02:15:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

davehog

Given that we are 5-3 at this point of the season, what should be done for the remainder of the season.  What would maximize this year and development for following seasons? 

It's my opinion that the only remaining goal of this season is making a bowl game, which at this point seems like a high probability.  As a "development" team having those extra bowl practices is top priority as is experience for young players. 

There should be some changes in starters/playing time to get more underclassmen more snaps:

1. RG - start either Colton Jackson (FR) or move Ragnow there and then start Zach Rogers (SO) at C.  Raulerson has done an admirable job but his ceiling is not as high and he's a Jr.
2. LT - Get some reps for any of the younger guys - Merrick, Jackson, whoever.  I hope Skipper makes the NFL but we do need to think about experience for underclassmen.  Skipper should still start but not play the whole game. 
3. WR - Get Pettway. Hammonds, and Stewart some real snaps.  Sorry Hollister and Reed, but development for future years is calling. 
4. DE - Move Agim back to DE in place of Wise.  Start and play as many snaps as possible.  I don't know if there is even a workable solution behind Beanum. 
5. DT - Get Capps and TJ Smith in the rotation and as many snaps as possible.  I don't know if any more snaps are necessarily going to develop Bijhon Jackson.  Am I the only one who thinks Bijhon looks like an NFL offensive guard? After the season move BJ to guard and redshirt him next year if he's not a starter. 
6. OLB - Move Ramsey back to OLB, start him and play him most of the game.  The snaps currently going to Jrs Hackett/Eugene are not providing as much development for future years.  I think Ramsey could be an NFL LB - high ceiling and young.
7. MLB - Play Scoota Harris half the snaps.  Commit to it and DO it.  If he makes mistakes, then so be it, they will at least be learning experience.  I fully understand the need to play Ellis but experience is needed here for 2017. 
8. Secondary - there are not any options for either improvement this season or maximizing development in future years. Hopefully getting the injured players back for the spring can offer some hope for improvement next year, but there is no quick fix here. I hope there is a stud uncovered in recruiting that can come in here and help from day 1.
9. QB - Get Storey more snaps if he's ever called upon again as the #2.

As far as coaching/strategy keep on keepin' on with the offense. On defense, experiment with new schemes that could be implemented with the anticipated roster for next year. Play man to man and get crazy with blitzes. If we get burnt this year the ROI on that will happen next season. 

Start looking around for a new defensive coordinator.  Do whatever you can to keep Enos.

Keep recruiting.  We have immediate playing time at ALL positions on defense to sell.  We already have a stud Juco TE committed, but why not a top Juco WR? This should be an easy sell in recruiting with a Sr. Austin Allen and a proven passing offense. What program could offer a top Juco WR more than we can? 

In closing I trust CBB is doing what he can to move the program forward but I am curious to see how much he truly does in implementing a youth movement and what changes are done with the defense. I hope we win the rest of them, but I'm more interested in development for future seasons as this point. 

Hawghiggs

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: Hawghiggs on October 23, 2016, 02:16:42 pm
Need to beat Mizzou and Miss state.

And take advantage when Bama bust's Orgeron's bubble to steal an 8th win.

Poker_hog

It's not time to give up on this season, however several positions need to be opened up.  The bye week is a perfect time to do it.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

HF#1

Quote from: Hawghiggs on October 23, 2016, 02:16:42 pm
Need to beat Mizzou and Miss state.

This pretty much. Hope we can steal one from LSU or Florida since both are at home.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

tophawg19

we have a good chance with Florida but little chance with LSU. Their running game is far better than Auburn's .And coach O has them playing to a much higher level than Miles ever did. He has them playing according to their talent level. Darn you miles we needed you to keep that job.
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

tophawg19

Hammonds is a running back and i believe we get Hollister an extra year
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins