Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

"We have to take a really serious look at what we're asking guys to do."

Started by Joe Lee Kimes Jr., October 23, 2016, 11:17:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Lee Kimes Jr.

After all 3 losses, Bielema has made comments like this regarding the defensive staff "not putting guys in position to win", "asking them to execute things they can't execute", or "asking them to do things they can't do." 

What do you think he's specifically talking about scheme wise that he doesn't like on defense?  Why is this a continuing issue on week 8?  Does Bielema's public airing of these concerns cause a morale problem with players and cause them to question the defensive staff?  Is his going to cost Robb Smith his job?

I'll hang up and listen....

Oklahawg

I suspect that it already has cost someone a job. The parties involved may not realize it, of course.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

WorfHog

Those are the kind of vague statements you make when you don't really know what the problem is or how to fix it. It's his job as head coach to make sure the game plan is sound and I don't think he's put our guys in a position to be successful.

Fort Dweller

Quote from: WorfHog on October 23, 2016, 11:28:42 am
Those are the kind of vague statements you make when you don't really know what the problem is or how to fix it. It's his job as head coach to make sure the game plan is sound and I don't think he's put our guys in a position to be successful.

Or you know you don't have the tools or coaching to fix it
Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

goodguytex

Part of coaching is recognizing players capabilities and talents and putting in the best position on the field to be able to maximize their abilities and talents.

Like you wouldn't want Ragnow playing wide receiver or DB or Corner. Some of it too is the way you scheme and structure your defense.

If players are constantly out of position, you as a Defensive staff have to either coach them, correct their positioning and get them in the right place, or move on to someone else who will follow their assignments.

But then you have the lack of depth in quality talent. When that happens, you might have to make changes and adjustmrnts to fit the players you have. And if a coaching staff gets so married to a specific system and scheme no matter how much they are getting lit up and they won't change and adjust, that's when you have to find a new DC if you're the HC.

In Smith's case what worked at Rutgers just might not be doable at Arkansas. Not against SEC teams with generally better talent than what you have.

You have to either coach them up or develop your play calling to put you in the best position.

Rory Segrest, Robb Smith, they just may not have enough knowledge or experience in SEC defensive coaching. That's why you see so many reruns as DC being recycled going to different SEC teams.

These SEC programs want proven coordinators that have the experience in the conference to make adjustments and game plan. And a top DC is crucial, more so I think than having a top OC. 

Ex-Trumpet

He's made the statements, yet we aren't seeing the changes.  That's what is troubling to me. 

Make a change--if it doesn't work try something else.  But quit doing the same thing expecting different results.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

goodguytex

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on October 23, 2016, 11:35:10 am
He's made the statements, yet we aren't seeing the changes.  That's what is troubling to me. 

Make a change--if it doesn't work try something else.  But quit doing the same thing expecting different results.
That's why the bye week is so crucial. When you have only a week to prepare, it makes it very difficult to fundamentally change scheme to something completely different. Having that extra week will still make it difficult, but coaches can break down game film, take a little extra one on one work with players, go over what's being done wrong and get improvements made, maybe even change the way they are overall doing things as a defense.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: goodguytex on October 23, 2016, 11:38:00 am
That's why the bye week is so crucial. When you have only a week to prepare, it makes it very difficult to fundamentally change scheme to something completely different. Having that extra week will still make it difficult, but coaches can break down game film, take a little extra one on one work with players, go over what's being done wrong and get improvements made, maybe even change the way they are overall doing things as a defense.

It may be even deeper than that...other teams make adjustments to their game plan on the fly--certainly at halftime.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

goodguytex

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on October 23, 2016, 11:39:46 am
It may be even deeper than that...other teams make adjustments to their game plan on the fly--certainly at halftime.
Game plan, yes. But it does go much deeper than that. If you don't have the talent or speed or size at the specific positions you have to change up the scheme, or develop guys who may have been playing scout team or redshirting. You can't just wave a magic wand and make it where they are experienced starters with the knowledge they need. It takes some time.

Coaches do make adjustments. But if the guys you have just aren't capable of making the required plays, or are too slow, or not understanding or getting the defensive playbook, you have to change it up, simplify it. Maybe make it where they don't have to think so much.

Joe Lee Kimes Jr.

Quote from: goodguytex on October 23, 2016, 11:51:00 am
Game plan, yes. But it does go much deeper than that. If you don't have the talent or speed or size at the specific positions you have to change up the scheme, or develop guys who may have been playing scout team or redshirting. You can't just wave a magic wand and make it where they are experienced starters with the knowledge they need. It takes some time.

Coaches do make adjustments. But if the guys you have just aren't capable of making the required plays, or are too slow, or not understanding or getting the defensive playbook, you have to change it up, simplify it. Maybe make it where they don't have to think so much.

I hear what you're saying about lack of talent and the need to develop talent, but that hasn't been the tenor of BB's comments.  He's talking short term solutions. He wants immediate changes to schemes and game plans.  It strikes me as odd that he's noted the need for this three times, but we've yet to see any changes. My suspicions are that there is some acrimony going on with this coaching staff and it's starting to show on the field.

LZH

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on October 23, 2016, 11:35:10 am

And this has been the case all year long, for what reason I am not sure. We are trying to drive a nail in with our bare hands and no matter how many times you try, it isn't going to work. Our hands look like hamburger meat and yet we don't seem to be willing to even look for a hammer.

online-with-swine

We have a coach that puts character over talent.  Not a bad thing but character can't make a tackle or block a DE.

tophawg19

we have talent enough , proven by the fact that we hung with bama and the Aggies for 3 quarters .it's the mental game and adjustments where we lose out . it's like chess if i do something different and you fail to see it and counter it , i win, . if you counter with a better move , you win. our coaches are to slow to counter or adjust. sometimes they never recognize the adjustment
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

TheGunther

Well I'll say the coaches cant make the tackles for them. I saw a lot of guys that didnt want a piece of Pettway.
everybody wanna be a bodybuilder, no one wanna lift no heavy ass weight!

Little Lady Back

Quote from: tophawg19 on October 23, 2016, 01:45:18 pm
we have talent enough , proven by the fact that we hung with bama and the Aggies for 3 quarters .it's the mental game and adjustments where we lose out . it's like chess if i do something different and you fail to see it and counter it , i win, . if you counter with a better move , you win. our coaches are to slow to counter or adjust. sometimes they never recognize the adjustment

Seriously?
#NolanRichardsonCourt

LJHOG

Quote from: goodguytex on October 23, 2016, 11:33:05 am
Part of coaching is recognizing players capabilities and talents and putting in the best position on the field to be able to maximize their abilities and talents. 
With our defensive players you strive to disguise their weaknesses and inabilities.

goodguytex

Quote from: LJHOG on October 23, 2016, 03:55:56 pm
With our defensive players you strive to disguise their weaknesses and inabilities.
I agree with that. That's part of where coaching comes in. Making adjustments on the fly. Seeing guys out of position on one series in the game, telling them where they need to be instead.

But if you are constantly seeing your defense getting out schemed, out run, and you can't make the changes needed fast enough to keep up, time to change the game plan, and the overall scheme. Get your guys in a better position to be successful. That's part of where player evaluation is concerned.

I just think some of the defensive coaches are too slow to adjust because they aren't used to SEC speed. They can't handle it.

HogBreath

All this scheme talk is great..but seriously how tough can it be? 

Football is football, boys play it in the school yard all the time without a coach to tell them what to do.

Caleb Miller played some pretty good inside backer here at 6'3 & 218, had at least a cup of coffee with the Bengals.  He shrugged it off rather simply on playing linebacker, he said get off blocks and make tackles.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?