Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

??? for the CBB doubters

Started by greenEGnHAWGS, October 23, 2016, 09:44:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WorfHog

Quote from: OutlawHawg on October 23, 2016, 11:17:04 am
Bret isn't a class act he's a buffoon. The perception of his nationally is that he's a loud mouth idiot. If he won I'd be willing to tolerate but it just makes our program more of a joke.

RebelliousHog

If and it's a big if   BB left either by choice or otherwise, I agree we aren't getting a Saban-like coach here.

Say what you want we ARE NOT an elite program.  4 and 5 star athletes aren't flocking to come here. I look at the recruiting article in the paper and see we get a commit of a guy (THANK YOU), who chose us over ASU, ULM and Missouri State.  Not saying he's not god, but if TAMU, Bama, and Fla aren't recruiting him, he can't compete with their players.

Going back to my first paragraph, I wouldn't mind a up and comer with a innovative mind. I think if you're going to play Big 10 football you MUST have HUGE, QUICK, STRONG linemen on both sides. We don't have that.  So let's work with what we have and find a way to be successful. It's been done here.

And NO I don't want BP back. He put sexing a cute big boobed blonde over our team. For you still blaming JL for firing him, that was the right move. Not saying EVERY move that JL made was right. 
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

rickfahr

Lots to digest in these posts. Several different conversations. I'll take them one at a time.

1. Is CBB the right coach to lead us beyond 7 wins a year? I don't think so. Didn't when he came down here. Don't now. His schemes allow better athletes to make plays against us on offense and defense, and until something big-time changes, we're not likely to have the best athletes on the field at any given time. A prime example of this: How many times this season and over the past couple have we tried to line up and gain one yard, that smash-mouth Big 10 football style? More than a few. How many times has it worked? Not many.

2. Can any coach win big here consistently and over time? As others have said, I sure would have liked to have seen what CBP could have done over a decade. Could your run-of-the-mill coach get it done here? Nope. It'll take someone who can put together a schematic advantage, such as -- but please don't take this as an endorsement of any kind other than calling it as i see on a football level -- Art Briles. Or Tom Herman. Or that guy at Washington, used to be at Boise. i've lost his name for some reason.

3. Even with a new coach, we need new players. Look at the defensive lines in the SEC. Every team has at least one monster on the D-Line. Our guys look like me out there. Soft and slow, getting pushed around like they're in slow motion. Watching Bama, A&m and now Auburn just man-handle us was infuriating. CBB seems to me likes big, soft guys, kinda like he is. in other words, i don't want the biggest O-Line. I want an O-Line with some athletes on it who will get after somebody.

I don't expect to compete for a national title every year or every five years, but I do believe that with the right coach we can do better than fourth or fifth in the SEC West year in and year out.

IntegrityHog

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 23, 2016, 09:57:20 am
Your position that we will not win another game the rest of the season...is that a ".38 special" position? Or are you just talking?

We will be competitive with Mizzou and MS State, but I am a little worried since they are on the road.

lefty08

Lots of hilarity in this thread. Lots of people who, judging by post counts, haven't posted since the Nutt Era also. The math adds up
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

ShadowHawg

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on October 23, 2016, 09:44:45 am
Let me preface, I love CBB and I actually hope he sticks around for a long time.

But I really want to ask...

If not CBB, then who? Who are going to get that is going to get us over the hump? I mean, do you REALLY think we could do better?

Coaches know about the geological location and high school talent of Arkansas. What championship caliber coach is knocking down our door to take the reigns?

We have a coach who is a class act and a media darling. He has had success and has us moving in the right direction. He has enough respect to get past successful coaches come and be assistants under him. I think some of you guys just don't know what you're asking for in calling for his head.

I know. I know. Dang that loss sucked big time. Something is obviously wrong with our defense and I guarantee CBB is busting his butt right now figuring out what needs to be done and in viewing his track record of coaching hires, im not worried if CRS gets the boot.

Lastly, if you do decide to throw a name out there on "who we can get"...please be realistic after considering the coaching openings that are open or will be open in the future. We love our Hogs, but not every coach in the nation holds our sentiments.

We have had one here right before CBB. It can be done. Find the next one is the job of the AD.

Bebop

Quote from: kkbrody on October 23, 2016, 11:28:36 am
We need an architect. Currently we have a maintainer.

This right here. Next hire should have this as a part of their resume.

Brandon72

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on October 23, 2016, 10:29:08 amDid USC not trash us some years ago and we came back an played for the SEC Championship. How quickly we forget when it's convenient to.

We were a 40 point underdog that game; we were expected to get killed; We were playing against Reggie Bush and a Super Bowl winning coach; we were coached by Nutt; it was against a team was picked to win the national championship; it was a West coast 9:30 PM start; and it was not against an SEC West opponent we play every year and recruit against. 

Beside that there was nothing different about the two losses and our team should bounce back just fine, as long as our coaches point out all the similarities of the Auburn game and USC game to our players.   :puke:

Brandon72

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on October 23, 2016, 10:59:11 amI liked Petrino as the coach when he was here. But he's not here anymore and he's not coming back. Plain and simple.

Nope, he is going to be coaching in the NC game or a BCS bowl game.   

tophawg19

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on October 23, 2016, 09:54:19 am
A team nor a coach does not just 'bounce back' from getting humiliated on prime time national TV as the Arkansas Razorback football team did last night. We will not win another game the rest of the season and there will be a mass exodus post season. If we do somehow squeak out another win to make bowl eligibility status, we should turn it down. Kentucky has officially passed us in football and UK takes our best talent in hoops. WE ARE, ARKANSAS !   WE ARE, ARKANSAS !
you are an idiot . we just beat a pretty decent ole miss team, . we had a bad game against a better than we realized Auburn team who will finish higher than expected . LSU will also be a big time problem but i said that before the season. we aren't top 25 but aren't as bad as your stupid post says
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

alohawg

Quote from: OutlawHawg on October 23, 2016, 11:17:04 am
Bret isn't a class act he's a buffoon. The perception of his nationally is that he's a loud mouth idiot. If he won I'd be willing to tolerate but it just makes our program more of a joke.

This certainly rings truer in the aftermath of a 56-3 nationally televised embarrassment.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

Cure

If not CBB, then who? Who are going to get that is going to get us over the hump? I mean, do you REALLY think we could do better?

We have a coach who is a class act and a media darling. He has had success and has us moving in the right direction. He has enough respect to get past successful coaches come and be assistants under him. I think some of you guys just don't know what you're asking for in calling for his head.

Bingo.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

The_Iceman

For you guys talking about Petrino, look at what the LSU and Bama defenses did to Tyler Wilson in 2011. 2010 may have been the best team we have ever assembled (mostly with instate talent) and that only won 10 games. Now, Auburn, a&m, LSU, and Bama have defenses like that, and it's only getting worse (for us). Petrino's recruiting wasn't bringing in the caliber of players to get us back to 2010 level with Mallett. He was going to eventually struggle with the arms race of SEC recruiting and defense.

LZH

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 23, 2016, 12:33:14 pm
For you guys talking about Petrino, look at what the LSU and Bama defenses did to Tyler Wilson in 2011. 2010 may have been the best team we have ever assembled (mostly with instate talent) and that only won 10 games. Now, Auburn, a&m, LSU, and Bama have defenses like that, and it's only getting worse (for us). Petrino's recruiting wasn't bringing in the caliber of players to get us back to 2010 level with Mallett. He was going to eventually struggle with the arms race of SEC recruiting and defense.

Look at what Auburn did to us in BB's 4th year. Auburn. Not #1 & #2 LSU and Alabama. Auburn. #21 4-2 Auburn.

And as for recruiting issues, I don't have any idea what BP would have done post 2011. But I do know the product that BB has put on the field this year has flirted with disaster in several of our wins, and got smoked last night by a team that is a middle of the pack SEC squad this season.

WorfHog

How's he doing it at Louisville?

hogcard1964

Quote from: Pigdiana Jones on October 23, 2016, 10:02:25 am
Excuses excuses. We had an elite coach but Jeff longs integrity ran him off. Now we're stuck with this crap.

We may be Arkansas but don't tell me we can't win. CBP did it and took us to our only ever bcs bowl ever. Don't tell us it can't be done because it can and it has. No more excuses.

+1000

Yea, this is a fact.  We're in year four with this guy and it looks like we're making another low tier bow.  He's not getting it done.

Hoggish1

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 23, 2016, 10:11:40 am
Petrino did it here for two years. Could he do it for five or 10? Was it sustainable? I don't know. Neither does anyone else. Been nice to have found out.

Do I think what he did here for those two years could be sustainable over time? No, I do not. I have no logical reason to believe that, with one exception.

We pay for a team stocked with four and five-stars.

I'd just like to make a comment or two about potty mouth motorcycle man:

First, he has never been anywhere for more than four years and has left some places quicker than that.  He left us after his 4th year and he left Louisville the first time after his 4th year.

If he was smart he'd never leave there again, but he's not smart, so anything is possible with him...

Second, the SEC is infinitely more difficult a conference than when motorcycle man was here and the current ACC isn't in the same universe as the SEC.

That is all.

Hogtimes

Let me preface, I love CBB and I actually hope he sticks around for a long time.

But I really want to ask...

Coaches know about the geological location and high school talent of Arkansas. What championship caliber coach is knocking down our door to take the reigns?

I know. I know. Dang that loss sucked big time. Something is obviously wrong with our defense and I guarantee CBB is busting his butt right now figuring out what needs to be done and in viewing his track record of coaching hires, im not worried if CRS gets the boot.

Lastly, if you do decide to throw a name out there on "who we can get"...please be realistic after considering the coaching openings that are open or will be open in the future. We love our Hogs, but not every coach in the nation holds our sentiments.

I don't think geology has anything to do with it.

King Kong

Quote from: Brandon72 on October 23, 2016, 12:15:43 pm

He won't be in the NC and there technically aren't any BCS bowls anymore.

But hey I didn't what CBP fired because I knew the mess it would create. The mess that took CBB a year and half to dig out of.

I'm not happy or going to accept results like last night. But I believe they that it was an anomaly

Hoggish1

ding, Ding, DING!

Bigdsrip

Two years ago UW lost 59-0 in the B1G championship game and went on to beat Auburn in their next game.  These are young kids, they bounce back a lot quicker then we do.  Season is far from over.

2B's doesn't run a 'B1G offense' he runs a Pro Style offense.  It isn't the scheme, it is the (ahem) hogs, that are lacking.  You could certainly argue that not having the guys to run your schemes means you should not be running those schemes, and I would agree with you, but that is still primarily a talent issue. 

Bret is facing the reality right now that the grass isn't always greener (though there is significantly more of it) and he is failing to adjust quickly enough.  I know it is fun to bash Wisconsin (hey from the top 10, yet again) but there are some inherent advantages that he is not enjoying now and you can see it in the programs.  At UW you can throw a brat out your front door and recruit an offensive line filled with NFL prospects. Most of those guys are born with Badger LOI already signed, all you have to do is listen to the HS coaches and they recruit themselves. Added to that, the walk-on program at UW has been established for decades and fills in many holes. The fact that most of the country thinks like many Razorback fans do, namely that there is nothing but fat chicks and snow in Wisconsin, means we have a state of 6 million people, a huge percentage of which are Scandinavian (AKA some of the biggest people in the world. Vikings) pretty much all to ourselves.  Usually about 60% of our roster comes from within the state.  The point being, recruiting stars don't mean much to us because we have a bunch of guys in the program who no one else had ever heard of who can play just as well as many of those 4 and 5 star guys that everyone else was fawning over.  That covers all kinds of misses on the recruiting trail and allows you to really concentrate on the problem areas.

I think 2B's is struggling a bit adapting his program to fit the state of Arkansas.  The Wisconsin model is so successful because it has been tailored to fit the state, both in the kinds of kids we can get into the program, as well as the expectations for it.  Clearly it isn't working down south.  I don't think it is irrevocably broken, he just hasn't found the right tweaks yet.  One of 2Bs biggest strengths has always been his ability to adapt, I think it would be a mistake to give up on him already.  Or maybe he will never be able to meet Hog fan's expectations for the program.  To think that a program that hasn't won a league title since the 1980's will suddenly compete year-in-year out with Bama, Auburn, and LSU seems hopelessly optimistic, but then I'm not an SEC fan so maybe I just don't get it.

coolhog

If we lose Enos, the ship goes down.

LZH

Quote from: Hogtimes on October 23, 2016, 01:13:33 pm
I don't think geology has anything to do with it.

Ha!!! What about all of the volcanoes and stuff in the area?

LZH

Quote from: Bigdsrip on October 23, 2016, 01:26:33 pm
Two years ago UW lost 59-0 in the B1G championship game and went on to beat Auburn in their next game.  These are young kids, they bounce back a lot quicker then we do.  Season is far from over.

2B's doesn't run a 'B1G offense' he runs a Pro Style offense.  It isn't the scheme, it is the (ahem) hogs, that are lacking.  You could certainly argue that not having the guys to run your schemes means you should not be running those schemes, and I would agree with you, but that is still primarily a talent issue. 

Bret is facing the reality right now that the grass isn't always greener (though there is significantly more of it) and he is failing to adjust quickly enough.  I know it is fun to bash Wisconsin (hey from the top 10, yet again) but there are some inherent advantages that he is not enjoying now and you can see it in the programs.  At UW you can throw a brat out your front door and recruit an offensive line filled with NFL prospects. Most of those guys are born with Badger LOI already signed, all you have to do is listen to the HS coaches and they recruit themselves. Added to that, the walk-on program at UW has been established for decades and fills in many holes. The fact that most of the country thinks like many Razorback fans do, namely that there is nothing but fat chicks and snow in Wisconsin, means we have a state of 6 million people, a huge percentage of which are Scandinavian (AKA some of the biggest people in the world. Vikings) pretty much all to ourselves.  Usually about 60% of our roster comes from within the state.  The point being, recruiting stars don't mean much to us because we have a bunch of guys in the program who no one else had ever heard of who can play just as well as many of those 4 and 5 star guys that everyone else was fawning over.  That covers all kinds of misses on the recruiting trail and allows you to really concentrate on the problem areas.

I think 2B's is struggling a bit adapting his program to fit the state of Arkansas.  The Wisconsin model is so successful because it has been tailored to fit the state, both in the kinds of kids we can get into the program, as well as the expectations for it.  Clearly it isn't working down south.  I don't think it is irrevocably broken, he just hasn't found the right tweaks yet.  One of 2Bs biggest strengths has always been his ability to adapt, I think it would be a mistake to give up on him already.  Or maybe he will never be able to meet Hog fan's expectations for the program.  To think that a program that hasn't won a league title since the 1980's will suddenly compete year-in-year out with Bama, Auburn, and LSU seems hopelessly optimistic, but then I'm not an SEC fan so maybe I just don't get it.

+1

The_Iceman

Quote from: WorfHog on October 23, 2016, 12:51:57 pm
How's he doing it at Louisville?

Not SEC defenses. I'll admit, when Petrino faces a team equal or less talent than him, he will win every time. He is that good of a coach. He would do a great job here to. But to think we'd be an annual playoff contending team? Wasn't gonna happen.

jlhogfan

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 23, 2016, 01:37:44 pm
Not SEC defenses. I'll admit, when Petrino faces a team equal or less talent than him, he will win every time. He is that good of a coach. He would do a great job here to. But to think we'd be an annual playoff contending team? Wasn't gonna happen.

SEC this and SEC that; it is not as strong as you might think this year

TuskFexas

Quote from: Brandon72 on October 23, 2016, 12:15:43 pm
Yet at Arkansas he couldn't even win his division.  Biggest win was a Cotton Bowl victory.. How many those did Nutt win again?
The smoker I drink, the player I get!

The_Iceman

Also, the only thing this team is missing offensively is the offensive line talent. If Kirkland stays, this offense doesn't score 3 points yesterday. We would be able to block and protect with him. That would keep the offense on the field longer and the defense off.

Over the course of a season, that can pay huge dividends.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: tusked on October 23, 2016, 11:16:44 am
So find the next Patrino.  Crickets. 

In his 4th illustrious season, CBB just had the worse conference loss since AR joined the SEC.  As icing on the losing cake, the hogs now own the honor of being the team that gave AU their biggest rushing total EVER in SEC play.  They've been in the SEC a LONG time.  Think of all the bad teams they've played over the years and hell they had Bo Jackson and yet it's the 2016 Hogs that gave them the record.
Who is the next Petrino? You tell me. If it was that easy to find the next Petrino we probably would have hired him already.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Youngsta71701

"The more things change the more they stay the same"

hog19911

October 23, 2016, 02:58:57 pm #80 Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 03:09:38 pm by hog19911
Quote from: TuskFexas on October 23, 2016, 01:41:46 pm
Yet at Arkansas he couldn't even win his division.  Biggest win was a Cotton Bowl victory.. How many those did Nutt win again?
So how's the current guy doing? I'll take the cotton bowl and a top 5 finish over the liberty bowl and 56-3 record setting blowout losses.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: fullfan on October 23, 2016, 09:57:26 am
Gruden, Harbaugh, or even Saban would not recruit consistently enough here to win a NC.  Not going to happen.  Money does not solve all issues.

Tis why those coaches wouldn't consider coming here.

Quote from: Hogdomer on October 23, 2016, 09:56:32 am
We had an elite coach.  One of the five best in the country just five years ago.  By definition we can hire an elite coach!

Agree, but he basically fell into our lap.  He was desperate to get out of the NFL, and we were about the only option for him at the time. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

hobhog

Quote from: Ironhawg on October 23, 2016, 09:47:28 am
I think this is the really scary part about the epic beat down that happened last night.  If CBB can't get us over the hump in the SEC the reality may very well be that we are destined to be in the SEC cellar for good.

It amazes me how uniformed and ridiculous people are.....

Bubba's Bruisers

And still no Improvement since he left.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

hog19911

This is so illogical I can't believe that it's legitimate opinion.

Look at what Auburn, Alabama and A'M did to BB's defense. 2 of those teams aren't close to the level of the 2011 Bama and LSU teams. We just lost 56-3 to a fringe top 25 team. We have suffered losses to Toledo, Rutgers, Texas Tech and have never beaten MSU.

As far as recruiting goes Bielema has done a terrible job. Just look at the results and the fact that four years in most of our best players had been recruited by Petrino.

We are breaking records in blowout defeats meanwhile Petrino is top 10 in the country.