Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bielema has become a ...

Started by Iwastherein1969, October 23, 2016, 09:33:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Iwastherein1969

caricature of himself. I don't remember him laughing and joking and hucking it up with the media when he was coach at Wisconsin. I think Bielema had noble intentions upon moving down here to coach the UA but Bret has changed over the 4 years he's been here.

An adoring state starving for a savior worshiped at the feet of the Bielema program especially after the clown that was John L. Smith. CBB's teams improved incrementally each year and we assumed that he'd continue to improve the program to "Petrino like levels" if given the time. Well, that's all been not only derailed but totally blown up in just one night on the plains of SE Alabama. The laughing it up, the cute sarcastic jokes and above all the fresh paint on the Razorback football program was just removed by AU last night. What did a realistic look at our program reveal ? A finger painting instead of a Van Gogh. To put it short and not so sweet, Bielema is through here. Coaches usually wear out over time, but we just got exposed unlike any other Arkansas team I've ever seen in my 45 years of loving Razorback football and the total destruction was accomplished in just one game. The joking, the cracks on other coaches, the "Being Bret Bielema", the sleeping through meetings because you've put on a good 100 lbs since moving here and all that goes along with the Bret Bielema act, is through, it's dead and should be over. Our program must be blown up and rebuilt by some young coach (preferably a first time head coach). We need to swallow hard and bite the bullet and just move on.  The Bret Bielema era died last night, suddenly and without warning last night and once again, we Hog fans are left holding the bag.

ad: let me say that I was the first in line to fall for the act..I adored the guy and thought he was going to lead us to where we wanted to go...I would still like to think that all of those goals are possible, but to be realistic, we have no shot at getting the type of players needed to win and SEC championship after last night....and no one hates that the dream is over more than I
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

aredwolfrazorback

How many Wisconsin pressers were you watching over your 45 years, good sir?
With all the beers and all the cheers, I'm a hog fan for the rest of my years.

UA 2010
ASU 2008

hawg IQ

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on October 23, 2016, 09:33:02 am
caricature of himself. I don't remember him laughing and joking and hucking it up with the media when he was coach at Wisconsin. I think Bielema had noble intentions upon moving down here to coach the UA but Bret has changed over the 4 years he's been here.

An adoring state starving for a savior worshiped at the feet of the Bielema program especially after the clown that was John L. Smith. CBB's teams improved incrementally each year and we assumed that he'd continue to improve the program to "Petrino like levels" if given the time. Well, that's all been not only derailed but totally blown up in just one night on the plains of SE Alabama. The laughing it up, the cute sarcastic jokes and above all the fresh paint on the Razorback football program was just removed by AU last night. What did a realistic look at our program reveal ? A finger painting instead of a Van Gogh. To put it short and not so sweet, Bielema is through here. Coaches usually wear out over time, but we just got exposed unlike any other Arkansas team I've ever seen in my 45 years of loving Razorback football and the total destruction was accomplished in just one game. The joking, the cracks on other coaches, the "Being Bret Bielema", the sleeping through meetings because you've put on a good 100 lbs since moving here and all that goes along with the Bret Bielema act, is through, it's dead and should be over. Our program must be blown up and rebuilt by some young coach (preferably a first time head coach). We need to swallow hard and bite the bullet and just move on.  The Bret Bielema era died last night, suddenly and without warning last night and once again, we Hog fans are left holding the bag.

I think we already threw the baby out with the bathwater when we shucked BP, having said we don't need to do that again.

Bret is a quality coach, but he's playing a bad hand this year. Last night was Auburn's night to howl. There is problems with this team. this team is average at best and anything better than 7-5 will just be luck.

He hasn't recruited well in key areas, most notable is running back, linebackers and secondary. Is it because he didn't try, maybe to some degree I think so.   Too many tight ends, defensive ends that didn't pan out as well as quarterbacks also.

But he has to have more time. You can't just have a bad night and fire the coach.  Rebuilding every 3-4 years is why we are in this mess. Lets stick it out a few more years at least.
go hogs go !

Redhogs

ad: let me say that I was the first in line to fall for the act..I adored the guy and thought he was going to lead us to where we wanted to go...I would still like to think that all of those goals are possible, but to be realistic, we have no shot at getting the type of players needed to win and SEC championship after last night....and no one hates that the dream is over more than I
Best post ever, wish I had written it.. +1000.......now get ready for incoming....
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

IntegrityHog

It was one game.  Everybody has a bad game from time to time.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: aredwolfrazorback on October 23, 2016, 09:46:45 am

HJMSU
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

jlhogfan

Quote from: IntegrityHog on October 23, 2016, 09:47:45 am

We have been blown out 3 times so far this year

Bosco

Fat Burt is a clown.  Some of you are starting to see that.

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

hoglady

Not really.
Most every game we've won could have been easily lost (not counting Texas St and Alcorn St).
The problems in EVERY phase of the game have been apparent since the La Tech game and haven't improved.
Austin Allen and a couple of quality receivers have saved our bacon all year - remove those few players and we have nothing. Really nothing that is SEC competitive. Even with our 4 and 5 star QB's it doesn't appear we have a serviceable back up QB.
Our problems are a lot deeper than 1 bad game.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

3kgthog

No ranked opponent has ever had a game that bad against Auburn, hence the records they broke. Repeat that to yourself with emphasis on the word EVER. The team started in 1892 if that puts it in perspective.

Pigdiana Jones

Quote from: hawg IQ on October 23, 2016, 09:46:50 am
I think we already threw the baby out with the bathwater when we shucked BP, having said we don't need to do that again.

Bret is a quality coach, but he's playing a bad hand this year. Last night was Auburn's night to howl. There is problems with this team. this team is average at best and anything better than 7-5 will just be luck.

He hasn't recruited well in key areas, most notable is running back, linebackers and secondary. Is it because he didn't try, maybe to some degree I think so.   Too many tight ends, defensive ends that didn't pan out as well as quarterbacks also.

But he has to have more time. You can't just have a bad night and fire the coach.  Rebuilding every 3-4 years is why we are in this mess. Lets stick it out a few more years at least.

No let's not stick it out a few more years. He's in his 4th year. No excuses for the problems that are there.
"In the East, college football is a cultural exercise.

On the West Coast, it is a tourist attraction.

In the Midwest, it is cannibalism.

But in the South, college football is a religion, and every Saturday is a holy day."

buldozer

Everyone has really known we have had major problems from the get go with CBB, we were just all hoping we were wrong. He was in charge of the kicking and special teams remember..... and that has been the worse segment of play other than our punter. CBB has not performed adequately to date and last night it finally got bad enough that we can't ignore it any longer

Carl Lazlo

The hitching of his windbreaker pants HAS got to stop.

hoglady

You always hear people talk about a coach having a program defining WIN.
To me, this was a program defining LOSS.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

sigpooie

Coaching is what's wrong. Players from 3 to 5 star will not work if they don't fit your system. Why he would come here to make us a big 10 team is a good question at this point. And why would he think that we have the horse power to run that. 18 giants on the team and this is the line we get. We would be better off with a good high school coach that worked his ass off fixing it.
It all starts with Long and his want to build a palace to himself. This guy had CP fall in his lap and could not control him. This guy has lowered all of our programs to mid to lower pack of the conference. And this guy raised prices on a product that did not achieve results if he had his fingers in it.
It's time to hire someone who can fix it over the next few years or we will be the Rice or Vanderbilt of the west. I bet if he read this last sentence he would say, well those are very fine schools. I would tell him to take his program and move to Hendrix or Lyon. 
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! Hunter "my buddy" Thompson

Danny J

Enos and Smith have saved his ass thus far.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Carl Lazlo on October 23, 2016, 10:15:08 am
The hitching of his windbreaker pants HAS got to stop.
I would enjoy this comment if we had lost 31 to 17. Somehow and for some strange reason, sarcasm just doesn't fill the bill on this particular Sunday morning.

Carl Lazlo

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on October 23, 2016, 10:19:00 am
I would enjoy this comment if we had lost 31 to 17. Somehow and for some strange reason, sarcasm just doesn't fill the bill on this particular Sunday morning.

I don't give a damn what you find to be sarcasm or not. 

WilsonHog

For those of you who want Bret gone, it is not going to happen because he gets fired. We could lose out (which we won't), and it wouldn't happen. It most certainly won't if we finish 7-5 or better, which I think is likely.

No, for those of you who want him gone, your best bet is that doubts start to creep into Bret's mind about whether he can do what he thought he could at Arkansas. If they do, then he might start looking for another job by relying on his Wisconsin resume and advancing the "look what I did at a place like Arkansas" argument.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: hoglady on October 23, 2016, 10:16:01 am
Man, I wish I had said this. Eight words define what it took me a around 300 words to say. Nice job, Hoglady!

farmhawg

Quote from: sigpooie on October 23, 2016, 10:16:17 am
Coaching is what's wrong. Players from 3 to 5 star will not work if they don't fit your system. Why he would come here to make us a big 10 team is a good question at this point. And why would he think that we have the horse power to run that. 18 giants on the team and this is the line we get. We would be better off with a good high school coach that worked his ass off fixing it.
It all starts with Long and his want to build a palace to himself. This guy had CP fall in his lap and could not control him. This guy has lowered all of our programs to mid to lower pack of the conference. And this guy raised prices on a product that did not achieve results if he had his fingers in it.
It's time to hire someone who can fix it over the next few years or we will be the Rice or Vanderbilt of the west. I bet if he read this last sentence he would say, well those are very fine schools. I would tell him to take his program and move to Hendrix or Lyon. 
Hendrix in just four years is at the top of their conference......he would kill it.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Danny J on October 23, 2016, 10:17:26 am
Enos and Smith have saved his ass thus far.

Enos has saved him so far.  Smith defense has been pretty crappy last year and this year so far.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

farmhawg

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 23, 2016, 10:21:12 am
For those of you who want Bret gone, it is not going to happen because he gets fired. We could lose out (which we won't), and it wouldn't happen. It most certainly won't if we finish 7-5 or better, which I think is likely.

No, for those of you who want him gone, your best bet is that doubts start to creep into Bret's mind about whether he can do what he thought he could at Arkansas. If they do, then he might start looking for another job by relying on his Wisconsin resume and advancing the "look what I did at a place like Arkansas" argument.
If he is not doubting himself at this point........
From theflyinghog

LZH

Quote from: Carl Lazlo on October 23, 2016, 10:20:32 am
I don't give a damn what you find to be sarcasm or not. 

Not that you give a damn about this either, but I think he was paying you a compliment.

Redhogs

Yea...you are right...now let's take another trip to Europe, go to another concert, and go buy some more cowboy boots......it's all good...make sure all the important things are done when you are making $4 mil year to win football games...awesome.

farmhawg

Quote from: Redhogs on October 23, 2016, 10:26:45 am
Yea...you are right...now let's take another trip to Europe, go to another concert, and go buy some more cowboy boots......it's all good...make sure all the important things are done when you are making $4 mil year and win football games...awesome.
Dont forget the parties.....
From theflyinghog

Iwastherein1969

Wilson, I authored this particular thread and I made it quite clear that I absolutely hate what occurred last night. I would like nothing more than for the Hogs to bounce back and win a few games after the break this coming weekend. But, and this is not hyperbole, last night was the worst beating I've seen Arkansas take by a conference opponent when the general feeling by the Hog fans and college football fans was that we were pretty good. 53 point beatings on ESPN prime time are difficult to overcome. I was and still am a fan of Bielema's in many ways. But nothing trumps my passion for my Hogs.

Hawghiggs

Well lets hope that happens.

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: hawg IQ on October 23, 2016, 09:46:50 am

I think you are correct.  Add to that Long, who knew this might be a rough year and thus the rush to get the stadium expansion approved, is not about to fire CBB.

Indeed an argument can be made that few coaches in Arkansas history were legitimately fired for losing games:

Francis Schmidt - moved up to then national power TCU
Fred Thompsen - contract expired while in military service in WW2.
John Barnhill - medical retirement as AD only.
Otis Douglas - fired for failure to win.
Boden Wyatt - moved up to Tennessee
Jack Mitchell - moved home to Kansas
Frank Broyles - retied
Lou Holtz - terminated due to political activity
Ken Hatfield - moved to Clemson as a result of interference from Broyles
Jack Crowe - terminated do to Broykes over reacting to the Citadel loss.
Danny Ford - fired due to impatience of Broyles before he completed rebuilding for SEC competition.
Houston Nutt - left with lots of pay when Broyles retired.
Bobby Petrino - put Long in a position where it was legally impossible to retain him.

Bielema's situation most closely resembles Ford's except that Bielema is winning twice as many games per year against tougher competition.  One of the great unknowns of Razorback history is what might have happened if Ford had been left in place to coach in 1998 and 1999 when the talent he assembled in the wake of the 1995 SECW championship matured.  If he had then Arkansas might well already have an SEC championship. 

Bielema's most immediate problem is a talent gap on the OL magnified by what appears to be a weak OL coach.  On the defensive side he's repeatedly hinted that the players he has on hand, especially the linebackers can't execute his DC's scheme.  Last year when BA finally settled down into a mature QB he had enough offense to outscore his opponents and that covered but didn't fix the defensive problems.  CBB is obviously reluctant to make another change at DC but I don't think he's got much choice but to pull the plug on Smith and promote Rhodes or get a new DC who might have ditch his burnt orange wardrobe and pull the cardinal colored stuff out of the back of the closet in a few weeks.   ;)

Redhogs

There are no words....

Justagp

Very well spoken and one of the best posts I've read this morning.

OutlawHawg

It's funny watching everyone melt. The day we fired Petrino we said to the world we weren't committed to winning. Bret will be here a few more years - enjoy the Liberty or Texas bowls they can be fun.

Not sure what people expected from a guy that runs a vanilla offense, can't recruit, and lost almost all his big games at Wisconsin.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: OutlawHawg on October 23, 2016, 11:12:14 am
It's funny watching everyone melt. The day we fired Petrino we said to the world we weren't committed to winning. Bret will be here a few more years - enjoy the Liberty or Texas bowls they can be fun.

Not sure what people expected from a guy that runs a vanilla offense, can't recruit, and lost almost all his big games at Wisconsin.

At least they're making a bowl game.

JOKERHOG

I would have cut the losses and moved on a long time ago.  But of course I would not have hired him in the first place.  We look two big and two slow - kend of like brett himself.  We look like a middle of the pack big tin team which is what he coached at wisky.  Mich and TOSU were down and out when he "won" there.  Jeff LOng got played and many of us knew it at the time
BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

WorfHog

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on October 23, 2016, 11:29:51 am
At least they're making a bowl game.

They let 5-7 teams in to bowl games now?

hogcard1964

Quote from: aredwolfrazorback on October 23, 2016, 09:46:45 am

How's Wisconsin doing without Beilema?

Letsroll1200

Quote from: WorfHog on October 23, 2016, 11:37:28 am
They let 5-7 teams in to bowl games now?

I know but many justify this poor play on both side of the ball by reminding us about the bowl games.

26.2Hog

Quote from: hoglady on October 23, 2016, 10:05:44 am
Austin Allen and a couple of quality receivers have saved our bacon all year - remove those few players and we have nothing. Really nothing that is SEC competitive. Even with our 4 and 5 star QB's it doesn't appear we have a serviceable back up QB.

Quote from: hoglady on October 23, 2016, 10:16:01 am

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

hobhog

Quote from: Bosco on October 23, 2016, 09:56:55 am
Fat Bret is a clown.  Some of you are starting to see that.

How old are you, 12?

KCHogsFan

Quote from: hobhog on October 23, 2016, 12:00:16 pm
How old are you, 12?

He probably is 12 and doesnt need to be on the internet anyway or is even a real fan. The 3 losses we have had (all blowouts) are against teams in the top 15. No need to going to insults like Bosco is.

Bebop

Not really.
Most every game we've won could have been easily lost (not counting Texas St and Alcorn St).
The problems in EVERY phase of the game have been apparent since the La Tech game and haven't improved.

You hit the nail on the head.

The LA Tech game was eye opening.

ATU HOG

One issue is "Fan expectations vs Jeff Long's expectations"  Jeff is content with his money making machine and I believe his priorities are different than that of the fans.  He sees expansion, a business, and the baby that is his, which is our athletic programs.  As fans, we expect results on the field.  We expect our student athletes to be eligible, have good grades, and to perform well in the classroom as well as on the field.  Our athletic admin have emphasized this beyond belief, which is great.  But it should be an expectation across the board, not something we hang our hats on and tell everybody that we do.  Integrity, integrity, integrity is all we have heard from our athletic administration.  Having integrity is great and we should absolutely have it.  "Talking" about having integrity and using that as a selling point is a complete other story, and it's something we shouldn't be doing as much. 

I honestly think he is content with being a mid-low SEC team as long as we are staying out of trouble for the most part, and doing right in the things we should be doing right any (classroom, etc.) with the occasional push at a SEC W championship. You see the changes that have been made to University and majority of those changes happened because of success.  The Petrino years essentially put Arkansas back on the map and we were able to upgrade facilities, which is great!!  That's a huge part in having success is getting kids to campus, seeing the facilities, and seeing the success of the program. 

He's made a name for himself in college athletics, and the rest of that is history.  He platformed his-self at the cost of the Razorback football program.  I'm not a huge fan of our AD because of this, but I'll support him because he is essentially the Head Hog. 

Our football program took a huge step back last night.  We have seen progression in wins over the last few years, but we've had chances to take bigger steps in our program that we have squandered.  Last night, was an absolute embarrassment.  It was the most comical performance of a razorback team that I have ever seen.  We've heard how we were building a program from the inside out, how we are doing it the "right" way.  We are an average program that tries to sell above average expectations.  Enos is the best thing to happen to this team, as for the most part our offense has been pretty dang good over the last couple years.  We are extremely slow on the defensive side of the ball, and I don't believe it's our athletes.  I think it's more our philosophy on the field and in the weight room.  Something has to change if we are going to be a contender, because as of right now... we aren't close.

Atlhogfan1

Not really.

All problems we knew we had going in - or should have. 

Quote from: ATU HOG on October 23, 2016, 12:12:25 pm
One issue is "Fan expectations vs Jeff Long's expectations"  Jeff is content with his money making machine and I believe his priorities are different than that of the fans. He sees expansion, a business, and the baby that is his, which is our athletic programs.  As fans, we expect results on the field.  We expect our student athletes to be eligible, have good grades, and to perform well in the classroom as well as on the field.  Our athletic admin have emphasized this beyond belief, which is great.  But it should be an expectation across the board, not something we hang our hats on and tell everybody that we do.  Integrity, integrity, integrity is all we have heard from our athletic administration.  Having integrity is great and we should absolutely have it.  "Talking" about having integrity and using that as a selling point is a complete other story, and it's something we shouldn't be doing as much. 

I honestly think he is content with being a mid-low SEC team as long as we are staying out of trouble for the most part, and doing right in the things we should be doing right any (classroom, etc.) with the occasional push at a SEC W championship. You see the changes that have been made to University and majority of those changes happened because of success.  The Petrino years essentially put Arkansas back on the map and we were able to upgrade facilities, which is great!!  That's a huge part in having success is getting kids to campus, seeing the facilities, and seeing the success of the program. 

He's made a name for himself in college athletics, and the rest of that is history.  He platformed his-self at the cost of the Razorback football program.  I'm not a huge fan of our AD because of this, but I'll support him because he is essentially the Head Hog. 

Our football program took a huge step back last night.  We have seen progression in wins over the last few years, but we've had chances to take bigger steps in our program that we have squandered.  Last night, was an absolute embarrassment.  It was the most comical performance of a razorback team that I have ever seen.  We've heard how we were building a program from the inside out, how we are doing it the "right" way.  We are an average program that tries to sell above average expectations.  Enos is the best thing to happen to this team, as for the most part our offense has been pretty dang good over the last couple years.  We are extremely slow on the defensive side of the ball, and I don't believe it's our athletes.  I think it's more our philosophy on the field and in the weight room.  Something has to change if we are going to be a contender, because as of right now… we aren't close.

No.  Stopped reading after the bolded part.

Been saying since in season 1, he took the wrong job at the wrong time.  Maybe last night will make him come to that realization. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hogman99

Quote from: Redhogs on October 23, 2016, 10:26:45 am
Yea...you are right...now let's take another trip to Europe, go to another concert, and go buy some more cowboy boots......it's all good...make sure all the important things are done when you are making $4 mil year to win football games...awesome.

I said this after the A&M game and was scolded. Telling me it's good for recruiting and name recognition. I think it looks stupid and cheesy. He should have been preparing for the season for the money he's getting paid.

ShadowHawg

and advancing the "look what I did at a place like Arkansas" argument.

This is why he NEEDS to go, IMO. That was the narrative Nutt gave us in the national media. Petrino won at such a high level people like Brando and others had to put that aside. Our program really could do better.

But CBB's performance so far is making it look like Petrino was a fluke. Sad thing is, the current level of winning IS the threshold when you are so stubborn that you keep trying to play football the way it was played in the 90s.

I do not have any delusions that his dismissal is anywhere close. I think if he goes it will be on his own.

I am concerned that he is currently returning the reputation of our program as being a bottom feeder of the league who occasionally has a team and then immediately returns to mediocrity or worse.

If CBB doesn't make it here, I want the priority characteristic of the next coach to be that the local media hates him. The two best runs of Hog football in my lifetime have come when the media has thought the head coach was a jerk.

DLUXHOG

Correct!   Everyone wakes up on the wrong side of the bed sometimes....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

KCHogsFan

Exactly, happens to the best of teams (even Bama will fall at some point), even in the NFL! Too many people are letting their emotions get the best of them right now.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: ShadowHawg on October 23, 2016, 12:17:15 pm
This is why he NEEDS to go, IMO. That was the narrative Nutt gave us in the national media. Petrino won at such a high level people like Brando and others had to put that aside. Our program really could do better.

But CBB's performance so far is making it look like Petrino was a fluke. Sad thing is, the current level of winning IS the threshold when you are so stubborn that you keep trying to play football the way it was played in the 90s.

I do not have any delusions that his dismissal is anywhere close. I think if he goes it will be on his own.

I am concerned that he is currently returning the reputation of our program as being a bottom feeder of the league who occasionally has a team and then immediately returns to mediocrity or worse.

If CBB doesn't make it here, I want the priority characteristic of the next coach to be that the local media hates him. The two best runs of Hog football in my lifetime have come when the media has thought the head coach was a jerk.

Quite possibly was. 

Not a bottomfeeder if we win 2-3 more.  3rd last season and 4-4 won't be near the bottom this season (MSU).
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Bebop

Quote from: hogman99 on October 23, 2016, 12:15:24 pm
I said this after the A&M game and was scolded. Telling me it's good for recruiting and name recognition. I think it looks stupid and cheesy. He should have been preparing for the season for the money he's getting paid.

I was definitely off the BB wagon after the Toledo and Tech games last year. People had me second guessing myself based on how we ended our season last year. I was lenient until the LA Tech game. I now realize that my previous observation about BB was right: he isn't the right coach for the job. If he can turn it around, I will gladly eat crow; I want us to win. I doubt, however, he will better than just an average team.