Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

This was not Miami of '87 or USC of 2005

Started by WilsonHog, October 23, 2016, 09:21:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

LZH

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 23, 2016, 05:58:54 pm
One of my worst bowl experiences.  Horrible matchup.  Orange Bowl had 25K empty seats.  They wanted to have the 78 rematch and it failed.  We had no business at 9-2 in that game.  Had lost to TT 17-7 and BU 29-14.

I thought we were 10-1, but you're right. I forgot about Tech. Finished 9-3.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: sevenof400 on October 23, 2016, 09:28:30 am
That Miami game in '87 was beyond description - if for no other reason than the talent that Miami had amassed on that team. 

For a quick look at the team and coaching staff - click here.

Dad called it the FU Frank Broyles Game. Cause Frank would not hire Jimmy Johnson to be the Hogs Coach IMO It was the worst blown hire under Frank's time as AD.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: sevenof400 on October 23, 2016, 09:28:30 am
That Miami game in '87 was beyond description - if for no other reason than the talent that Miami had amassed on that team. 

For a quick look at the team and coaching staff - click here.

One aspect that I remember about that game is that Jimmy Johnson did not wear a headset.  He had everything delegated out to high-quality Assistant Coaches.  Johnson just walked up and down the sideline and he clapped.

I still maintain that 1987 Miami Hurricanes team is the greatest collegiate football team of all-time.  Here is my personal Top 5 list.

1.  1987 Miami Hurricanes

2.  2001 Miami Hurricanes    Head coached by Larry Coker, but the talent was amassed by Butch Davis.  17 players from the 2001 Miami team were drafted in the first-round of the NFL Draft; (5 in the 2002 NFL Draft: Buchanon, McKinnie, Reed, Rumph, and Shockey; 4 in 2003: Johnson, Joseph, McDougle, and McGahee; 6 in 2004: Carey, Taylor, Vilma, Wilfork, Williams, and Winslow; 1 in 2005: Rolle; and 1 in 2006: Kelly Jennings).

3.  1995 Nebraska Cornhuskers

4.  1986 Oklahoma Sooners   OU Defensive Coordinator Gary Gibbs' 1986 Sooners Defense allowed an average of only 6.75 points per game over the entire season.  They recorded 5 shutouts and led the nation in all four major defensive categories (total, rushing, passing, and scoring).  They allowed only 81 total points scored over the entire season (12 games, which includes the 8 points we scored in the Orange Bowl).

5.  2004 USC Trojans   2 Heisman Trophy talents, 1 at QB (Leinart) and 1 at RB (Bush).  Bush though was an illegal, ineligible player. They had to vacate the last 2 wins of the 2004 season, a win against UCLA, and a win against Oklahoma in the NC game.

What is sad is that the Athletic Department at the University of Arkansas could have at points in time probably hired 3 Coaches who were a part of 3 of the above teams, Jimmy Johnson, Butch Davis, and Gary Gibbs.  That did not occur because of arrogant, backwards "good ole boy" politics in the Athletic Department at the University of Arkansas.

While we were goofing around and wasting time with Danny Ford, we probably could have hired Gary Gibbs as our Head Coach after he was mistakenly fired by Oklahoma.  It took OU 5 years to recover after they mistakenly fired Gibbs.