Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The best DC on our staff...

Started by SquidBilly, October 23, 2016, 04:49:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SquidBilly

is also our head coach.  CBB needs to relieve Smith and Segrest of their duties tomorrow, take over playcalling for the defense, and start working with the Dline.  Give Enos responsibility for the entire offensive staff and gameplan, and then CBB needs to turn all of his attention to the defense.  He can no longer be a CEO type HC because the defense is in disrepair.  Then when the season is over promote Rhoads to DC and let him work with you to find a good Dline coach and a secondary coach.  They need to be good recruiters as well.  We have good players, they just arent being put in position to be successful.

gchamblee

Quote from: Bret Squealema on October 23, 2016, 04:49:49 am
is also our head coach.  CBB needs to relieve Smith and Segrest of their duties tomorrow, take over playcalling for the defense, and start working with the Dline.  Give Enos responsibility for the entire offensive staff and gameplan, and then CBB needs to turn all of his attention to the defense.  He can no longer be a CEO type HC because the defense is in disrepair.  Then when the season is over promote Rhoads to DC and let him work with you to find a good Dline coach and a secondary coach.  They need to be good recruiters as well.  We have good players, they just arent being put in position to be successful.

If you listen to the post game presser, it sounded to me like CBB was hinting at coaching changes but couldnt come right out and say it. He is obviously professional in the way he handles things, but he kept saying "change the scheme or the call". He said "if the call wont work, we have to change the call". That sounded to me like code for change the coach. I could just be hoping, but that was how I interpreted it.

ChitownHawg

Listening to his presser I was happy if you can be happy after a blowout, to hear what he had to say. When your head coach says we were not gap sound, couldn't set an edge, and block the right guy tells me the coaches are in for it.

This was not about the quality of players. Other than Rhodes these coaches have been here for 2+ years. CBB kept saying if the players cannot do what you are calling then you have to change the play or scheme.

I sincerely hope CRS does the right thing at the end of the season and move on. Anderson better figure this out because his line isn't performing. Seven games into the season the head coach should not be saying our line is blocking the wrong people.

During the game the announcer said Auburn's DC simplified the defense to take advantage of their talent. Three tours through the SEC and you would think a CRS would understand what he needs his defense to do against the opponents.

CRS seems to be a nice guy, but time to take your resume back east.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

parallaxpig

If past three years are an indication, coaching changes will come. Hopefully replacement(s) will have solid recruiting ties in the state of Texass. 
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

Swinesong1

Serious question...there have been multiple staff changes under the current head coach and EVERY season you all call for changes on the staff.  Why does the blame not fall on the one doing the hiring?  If changes are being made constantly and the replacement isn't working out either, something is wrong at the top.

parallaxpig

The boss is always responsible and B will be held accountable for his choices good or bad.  I am not ready to throw in the towel yet because the coaching list to replace him want be any better. Recent history proves that out       
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

LJHOG

Can't coach what you ain't got.  And we ain't got the players.

ShadowHawg

I think the defense looks like CBBs first year here with Ash. Which just so happened to look like the defense he used in Wiscy.

We also look like a Big 10 defense in terms of conditioning. Not much speed on the field but a lot guys with thickness added to their frames. May be good in the weight room, but sorely lacking in explosiveness.

SquidBilly

Quote from: LJHOG on October 23, 2016, 06:56:30 am

I don't believe that.  Sure we dont have Bama caliber players but not many do.  But when guys like Wise, Ledbetter, and Agim aren't being put in position to make plays then it is scheme.  Those guys have talent but its not being used.

nchogg

Quote from: Bret Squealema on October 23, 2016, 08:21:42 am
I don't believe that.  Sure we dont have Bama caliber players but not many do.  But when guys like Wise, Ledbetter, and Agim aren't being put in position to make plays then it is scheme.  Those guys have talent but its not being used.
This sounds about right. I have not seen Agim in a position to succeed.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: ShadowHawg on October 23, 2016, 07:11:08 am
I think the defense looks like CBBs first year here with Ash. Which just so happened to look like the defense he used in Wiscy.

We also look like a Big 10 defense in terms of conditioning. Not much speed on the field but a lot guys with thickness added to their frames. May be good in the weight room, but sorely lacking in explosiveness.

So it was lack of explosiveness that caused the Ole Miss WR to bulldoze his way into the end zone last week? Or Auburn's RB going for 180?
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Bret Squealema on October 23, 2016, 08:21:42 am

Yep, CBB said if the player cannot execute the play then don't call it. It the player cannot execute in the scheme then change the scheme.

I think a few coaches are going to be lit up today and rightly so.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: ChitownHawg on October 23, 2016, 08:41:02 am
So it was lack of explosiveness that caused the Ole Miss WR to bulldoze his way into the end zone last week? Or Auburn's RB going for 180?

The only guy on this defense with any explosiveness/suddeness about him Agim. Give Herbert enough time with him and he will be a heavier, stiffer, less athletic version of himself just like the rest of the defense has become over the last few seasons.

It takes athleticism and explosiveness to make plays. Are you seeing a lot of play making on the defensive side of the ball? This is the second year straight of this. When we had Philon, Flowers, and Spaight we had guys who still had some quick twitch explosion in them and lo and behold they made plays.

I think Herbert's approach works more on weight training and not explosive power and it is showing on the field. If we don't line up just perfect, then there isn't anyone left on the field who can overcome it enough to make a play of any kind.

We look just like Wiscy under CBB in that regard.

jm

I have to disagree to an extent. While we may not have the greatest players to ever grace the field, there is no reason to give up multiple long runs like we have seen in every game this year. The Hogs aren't missing tackles, they are not even in position to make the play.

sigpooie

After a&m game you could tell we have problems on D. I hope it's something that we can fix, but I have little faith in the current coaches to do so. How could we not start the game with players out of position so bad that the other team runs 80 yards for a td. You would start to believe that the players are at fault but clearly have not been coached in the read and position game you would need for a game like this. And how could you let Aub run for 500 yards without  making a change in the stack after the 1st 200 yards..
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! Hunter "my buddy" Thompson

Hoggish1

I'd be for it.  We need to stay on track to improve over last year and the year before.  If we do and can find the coaching pieces you suggest, I'm still a happy camper.

zebradynasty

We may not have the players that the top teams have but there is still something wrong with the defense (I know captain obvious). Next week watch Kentucky or Vandy on defense. They are at least flying to the ball and look like they know what they are doing. Our defense doesn't fly to ball how many plays yesterday and heck most of the year where at the point of the attack...there's no one there! How many times can you see from the stands that we aren't lined up properly before the snap. The secondary plays more physical than the DL or the LB's. The list goes on this is stuff you can see from the stands no telling how much is wrong when you breakdown the film!

hogblitz

Great Post!  I agree 100%.  It needs to happen by Monday morning!  It is a good time with the bye week.  I believe that the players on D have quit on certain coaches and are no longer buying in.  I believe a change MIGHT create a spark with the team and we might win a few more.  If no change is made, we MIGHT not win another game this year.  The question that I have is one that I honestly do not have the answer to.  Is Bielema forcing HIS system on the DC's?  If we promote Rhodes we may have our answer because I think he runs a more attacking style and not the zone stuff and bend but not break defense that both Ash and Smith have run. 

Potosihog

You can teach me, coach me, yell at me, motivate me to dunk a basketball on a 10' goal.  No matter how hard you try I can't dunk.  I'm 5'10" 180lbs and have a 10" vertices.

I can't do what I can't do.

This scheme has to go.  If that means changing the coach so be it.

You could put an FCS school in this game with less talent and a scheme more fitted to them and you would see a much closer score.

IntegrityHog

Uh, I think CBB is a little too loyal to his staff to dismiss them based on one "off" game.  He's certainly not going to do it because a bunch of anonymous posters on a message board are asking for it.

hogblitz

Quote from: IntegrityHog on October 23, 2016, 09:34:51 am
Uh, I think CBB is a little too loyal to his staff to dismiss them based on one "off" game.  He's certainly not going to do it because a bunch of anonymous posters on a message board are asking for it.
One off game?!  Lol  This is not a knee jerk reaction.  They have been atrocious on defense for almost 2 full seasons.  This is nothing new. It just took a rock bottom performance for everyone but yourself to now be on the same page concerning this issue.

bcdeputy

I'd say this is a great idea and I totally agree

Kevin

didn't cbb say the same thing after a&m.  did we see any real changes? NO

I don't believe we will see any real changes for florida.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

jjdlc

Only thing I might do different is let Rhoads go ahead and assume DC duties while continue to handle the DBs.  CBB can concentrate on Dline.

The D-Line is the most frustrating part of this. Its the one area on the team where we have a lot of "star" talent, so much so that we've even moved some of that talent other places.  As of right now, I'm willing to give Anderson one more year to see if the O-Line improves, but something needs to change with the D. 

Our secondary has improved quite a bit this year, and that is frustrating because I felt like any significant improvement in that area would make our D at least competitive, but we've regressed horribly in almost every other area of the D.

SquidBilly

Quote from: jjdlc on October 23, 2016, 10:18:28 am
Only thing I might do different is let Rhoads go ahead and assume DC duties while continue to handle the DBs.  CBB can concentrate on Dline.

Our secondary has improved quite a bit this year, and that is frustrating because I felt like any significant improvement in that area would make our D at least competitive, but we've regressed horribly in almost every other area of the D.

Your second statement is why I didnt suggest Rhoads take over as DC now.  He has improved our secondary play a lot and I'd hate for a move to be made to disrupt that.  And I think if CBB takes over the defense it will bring a new level of focus by the rest of the staff and the players to the importance of getting it fixed and quickly.  The players clearly don't believe in what Smith is doing any more.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: ShadowHawg on October 23, 2016, 08:47:56 am
The only guy on this defense with any explosiveness/suddeness about him Agim. Give Herbert enough time with him and he will be a heavier, stiffer, less athletic version of himself just like the rest of the defense has become over the last few seasons.

It takes athleticism and explosiveness to make plays. Are you seeing a lot of play making on the defensive side of the ball? This is the second year straight of this. When we had Philon, Flowers, and Spaight we had guys who still had some quick twitch explosion in them and lo and behold they made plays.

I think Herbert's approach works more on weight training and not explosive power and it is showing on the field. If we don't line up just perfect, then there isn't anyone left on the field who can overcome it enough to make a play of any kind.

You didn't answer my question. Would quickness have helped in the two situations I stated?

SquidBilly

Quote from: IntegrityHog on October 23, 2016, 09:34:51 am

Loyalty to staff is why he should make a change.  Smith and Segrest would be paid the rest of their contracts.  However if CBB stands pat and the team has another performance like last night, he and every member of his staff will be looking for work next year.

King Kong

Quote from: Swinesong1 on October 23, 2016, 05:26:50 am
Serious question...there have been multiple staff changes under the current head coach and EVERY season you all call for changes on the staff.  Why does the blame not fall on the one doing the hiring?  If changes are being made constantly and the replacement isn't working out either, something is wrong at the top.

Robb Smith did work for a season. But SEC offenses have caught up to him

SquidBilly

Quote from: King Kong on October 23, 2016, 12:01:33 pm
Robb Smith did work for a season. But SEC offenses have caught up to him

Even that season wasn't great.  We still lost quite a few games, mind you the offense under Jim Chaney didn't help.  He had three really good players in Flowers, Philon, and Spaight that covered a lot of the issues in his scheme.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: ChitownHawg on October 23, 2016, 11:46:42 am
You didn't answer my question. Would quickness have helped in the two situations I stated?

They were stupid questions.

longtimeHogfan

October 23, 2016, 12:33:57 pm #30 Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 12:50:58 pm by longtimeHogfan

And where would be go in the middle of the season for A-list coaching changes?
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

BDSCT51

Currently it appears there are no "best" DCs on staff. I am thinking the "best" DC will be on our staff next year after his current employer at a small university in Austin lets him go. IMHO!
Bleeding Razorback Red

SquidBilly

I equate our current situation with that of Mark Richt at Georgia.  Mark Richt made his name as an OC at Florida State and continued to call plays for a few years when he got the HC gig at UGA.  Then he delegated that to his OC and tried to let them call the game themselves.  He never found one as good at it as he was but he refused to take it back over out of loyalty.  He wound up getting fired for it.  CBB has the same decision to make here.

Beaverfever

I agree.  He is a defensive coach and the defense needs help NOW.  It's his job to fix it personally at this point. 

Danny J

Quote from: ShadowHawg on October 23, 2016, 08:47:56 am

I think you make some good points here. We are not beating anybody up on either line of scrimmage except FCS or middle tier teams.

wachhog

Quote from: BDSCT51 on October 23, 2016, 12:44:56 pm

Currently it appears there are no "best" DCs on staff. I am thinking the "best" DC will be on our staff next year after his current employer at a small university in Austin lets him go. IMHO!
Why would Charlie Strong work for Bielema? He has not shown that he is adept at either hiring or retaining assistant coaches. Robb Smith was a GA at Whisky before he went to Rutgers. Rutgers. Really? Mostly BB seems to string together a staff made up of guys who find themselves out of work. Then they move on. Y'all call him a CEO coach. The mark of an effective CEO is the ability to identify, hire and retain great talent. The mark of a great entrepreneur on the other hand is the ability to innovate. BB has not shown he can innovate.

rickfahr

I kept waking up last night seeing image after image of Auburn running the ball or throwing the ball or walking the ball upfield at a leisurely pace while all of our defenders were "engaged" with a blocker.

I kept asking myself, "Do our guys know that the goal is to tackle the person with the ball, not hold onto someone for a few seconds until the official signals touchdown?" It didn't look like they knew that.

hawgdavis

I went to a high school game the other night where my daughter was working as an AT to see her. The teams they played was running the spread up tempo offense. Her team was actually just a little slower as well but lined up with 3 down and 4 to 5 lbs ant the rest cbs and safety's and played their area and shut down the faster quick hitting O. I thought the simplicity of it was genius. I found out they use this when playing spread teams and a 4-3 against conventional offenses. They are undefeated in region play this year and ranked in the top 10, lost 1 game to a ranked team in a higher  classification this year the play in the AAA class in Ga so they are playing somewhat big boy ball.

My thoughts are if they can teach their kids this in high school why can't our coaches seem to figure this out with what are supposed to be better and smarter players from top to bottom .

Go figure

hobhog

Quote from: hawgdavis on October 23, 2016, 03:03:56 pm
I went to a high school game the other night where my daughter was working as an AT to see her. The teams they played was running the spread up tempo offense. Her team was actually just a little slower as well but lined up with 3 down and 4 to 5 lbs ant the rest cbs and safety's and played their area and shut down the faster quick hitting O. I thought the simplicity of it was genius. I found out they use this when playing spread teams and a 4-3 against conventional offenses. They are undefeated in region play this year and ranked in the top 10, lost 1 game to a ranked team in a higher  classification this year the play in the AAA class in Ga so they are playing somewhat big boy ball.

My thoughts are if they can teach their kids this in high school why can't our coaches seem to figure this out with what are supposed to be better and smarter players from top to bottom .

Go figure

I think we forward this to them and see if THEY can figure out what your saying. I surely can't.

Not sure where we would find 5 pound ants anyway, so probably wouldn't work....

clutch

Quote from: hawgdavis on October 23, 2016, 03:03:56 pm

Go figure

Well for one, we can't play the 3-5-3 because we don't have 5 linebackers on the team. Secondly, the 3-5 is extremely easy to run against if you don't have really disciplined players who know their assignments. The high school team I coach faces the 3-5 stack all the time. It's our favorite defense to face because we have so much success against it.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Swinesong1 on October 23, 2016, 05:26:50 am

Have any coaching changes taken a step backwards? 

Ol coach a push
DB coach improvement
DC better, don't believe so then dig up the old Chris ash post (remember him mr DB 10 yard cushion)
OC improvement
Wr coach might just be one of the best recruiters we've had at Arkansas since joining the SEC
RB coach too early.

onebadrubi

DL coach we probably did take a step back.

SquidBilly

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 23, 2016, 04:12:44 pm
DL coach we probably did take a step back.

We definitely took a step back in this regard.  Segrest is no where close to what Partridge was as a coach or a recruiter.

rude1

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 23, 2016, 04:11:14 pm
Have any coaching changes taken a step backwards? 

Ol coach a push
DB coach improvement
DC better, don't believe so then dig up the old Chris ash post (remember him mr DB 10 yard cushion)
OC improvement
Wr coach might just be one of the best recruiters we've had at Arkansas since joining the SEC
RB coach too early.
OL coach a push? We went from a team giving up the least amount of sacks to a team who has given up the most amount of sacks, yet you call it a push? No point in discussing any further, objectivity is obviously not a part of this discussion.