Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

History repeating itself

Started by LutherLindsey, October 23, 2016, 01:01:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

LutherLindsey

I know some of you youngsters on here won't get this or remember it.

But today, kind of seemed like a repeat of the '80s. Jimmy Johnson got dumped on by the U of A. Gus Malzahn got dumped on by U of A.

Jimmy Johnson's team scored over 50 points. Gus Malzahn's team scored over 50 points.

There differences are Jimmy Johnson's team allowed a TD. Gus Malzahn's team did not allow a TD. Jimmy Johnson's team beat us on our home field. Guz Malzahn beat us at his place.

Just interesting stuff for a geezer like me.

Respectfully L.L.

Arkansas Fan

As a younger fan, I didn't want to accept it, but I've now realized why my dad always said "wait 'til next year" regarding Arkansas sports.

TuskFexas

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on October 23, 2016, 01:09:46 am
As a younger fan, I didn't want to accept it, but I've now realized why my dad always said "wait 'til next year" regarding Arkansas sports.
wait til next year is easier to accept than we are Arkansas and we will never win anything that matters..  Even under the great BP the best we got was a cotton bowl win.
The smoker I drink, the player I get!

Nosboar Accubond

Quote from: TuskFexas on October 23, 2016, 01:36:38 am
wait til next year is easier to accept than we are Arkansas and we will never win anything that matters..  Even under the great BP the best we got was a cotton bowl win.
but but but Bama Texas LSU SECW Champs... Recruits... Spend more

Ironhawg

We are the Vandy of the SEC West.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: LutherLindsey on October 23, 2016, 01:01:08 am

But today, kind of seemed like a repeat of the '80s. Jimmy Johnson got dumped on by the U of A. Gus Malzahn got dumped on by U of A.

Jimmy Johnson's team scored over 50 points. Gus Malzahn's team scored over 50 points.

There differences are Jimmy Johnson's team allowed a TD. Gus Malzahn's team did not allow a TD. Jimmy Johnson's team beat us on our home field. Guz Malzahn beat us at his place.

Respectfully L.L.

Please tell us how the UA dumped on Jimmy. Not hiring him is not necessarily dumping on him.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ShadowHawg

Quote from: TuskFexas on October 23, 2016, 01:36:38 am

That was in only 4 seasons though.

The curse of being a Hog fan has been in the poor decisions the AD has made over the years. Not just passing on Johnson, but pissing him off so thoroughly he wouldn't even come back around as an allum. Draggign Malzahn through the mud for the sake of Nutt to the point that one of the best offensive minds in college football is too toxic to be considered for head coach in his home state. Firing Petrino was not as cut and dried an option like it's told. Keeping Nutt for a decade!

Being a Hog football fan is like making your home in the middle of the Bermuda Triangle. Crazy crap going on all around you and no one can explain why it keeps happening.

LutherLindsey

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 23, 2016, 07:44:40 am
Please tell us how the UA dumped on Jimmy. Not hiring him is not necessarily dumping on him.

It is my understanding that Frank Broyles, brought Jimmy Johnson in for an interview or something pretending like he still had a chance of getting the job. Broyles, played Jimmy dirty. U of A was probably a poor choice of words on my part.  Sorry

Respectfully

Luther

JOKERHOG

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 23, 2016, 07:44:40 am

Pissed him off enough to lead 38-0 at the half in 1987.  Reacted like he thought he was dumped on
BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

GTOWNHOG

Quote from: LutherLindsey on October 23, 2016, 01:35:59 pm
It is my understanding that Frank Broyles, brought Jimmy Johnson in for an interview or something pretending like he still had a chance of getting the job. Broyles, played Jimmy dirty. U of A was probably a poor choice of words on my part.  Sorry

Respectfully

Luther

That is correct, Luther.  Jimmy Johnson came to Fayetteville while he was the OK State head coach for an interview with Broyles.  Johnson had been led to believe that it was just a formality to interview and that he would be offered the job.  Broyles seemed to have an issue with Johnson's "character" and hired Ken Hatfield from Air Force the next day.  Jimmy did not appreciate it, and that led to the beat down in Little Rock, 51-7.  Both Hatfield and Johnson played for Broyles on the 1964 team.

Gus probably feels the same way after Nutt and Broyles used and abused him.  Can't say that I blame him.
Good luck to ALL of our Razorback teams!!

Hoggie17

Something to think about.  Maybe we have a good year and go 8-5, Louisville has a bad year and they go 8-5 we both end up in a 2nd tier bowl game. BP takes revenge for the way he was treated by Long and puts a 80 point beat down on CBB.

Beaverfever

Granny fan

Quote from: Ironhawg on October 23, 2016, 07:38:29 am

I've been saying this for a while now!

Silver Hog

Quote from: Ironhawg on October 23, 2016, 07:38:29 am
That stinks because we cannot even pretend to a "smart kid", "rich kid" small school as an excuse why we don't have athletes. We have to face the truth that Arkie-saw is just a hillbilly school where you go when you can't find something better. Ouch OUch!

hawgfan4life

The continuing story you gave is also interesting.  Hatfield continued to improve the team and led Arkansas to the greatest heights of success in the conference and against Texas as we had experienced in several years.  During the entire time we were improving, beating Texas multiple times, and going to back to back cotton bowls, our fans were complaining so vocally that Broyles started meddling.  It was bad enough that Hatfield departed Arkansas (his dream job) to go to Clemson without even visiting there first.  We have still never fully recovered from that and didn't learn our history lessons from it either. 

Soooie21

Quote from: JOKERHOG on October 23, 2016, 01:38:44 pm
Pissed him off enough to lead 38-0 at the half in 1987.  Reacted like he thought he was dumped on
Thought it was 42-0 at the half...I was at the game in the Rock..it was so one sided..38, 42..what do it matter..

TuskFexas

Quote from: ShadowHawg on October 23, 2016, 07:50:16 am
That was in only 4 seasons though.

The curse of being a Hog fan has been in the poor decisions the AD has made over the years. Not just passing on Johnson, but pissing him off so thoroughly he wouldn't even come back around as an allum. Draggign Malzahn through the mud for the sake of Nutt to the point that one of the best offensive minds in college football is too toxic to be considered for head coach in his home state. Firing Petrino was not as cut and dried an option like it's told. Keeping Nutt for a decade!

Being a Hog football fan is like making your home in the middle of the Bermuda Triangle. Crazy crap going on all around you and no one can explain why it keeps happening.

All good points.  And for the record I really wished we would kept BP, had the that sinking feeling in my gut when he was fired.  Who knows if he would have won the SEC by now if he were still here.  I can say with almost absolute certainty that we would be in a better place than we are now though.
The smoker I drink, the player I get!

DeltaBoy

Quote from: LutherLindsey on October 23, 2016, 01:01:08 am

Respectfully L.L.

Frank Broyles pissed off two assistants of his Jimmy Johnson and Pete Carroll and both handed his HOGS their 6's on the Football field.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.