Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Could losing to Charlotte actually be good for us?

Started by RyeHogFan, March 22, 2018, 08:43:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RyeHogFan

I know. I know. You never want to lose a game. I was disappointed with the loss as much as anyone else (or at least as much as the other sane people who didn't spit vitriol on here after ONE game).  However, I think the timing of the loss might be beneficial in the long run. After taking two from Texas and smacking Kentucky around,  MAYBE we started getting a little overconfident heading to Charlotte, thinking we could just show up and win without giving our best. Now we've been brought back down to earth and we know we gotta bring it every night. It purely speculation but I'm just trying to take a positive from an otherwise negative thing.

TexHog188

I think we have lost enough to stay humble. Don't like dropping games OOC when we don't execute on the bases and at the plate. We had opportunities with 2nd and 3rd no outs, and didn't plate a run. Not sure what you gain from that, other than to reinforce that any team can beat you if you don't execute the fundamentals well.  Love this team and looking forward to some fried gator bites.
"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

Knot2brite

Coaching speak says that you learn more from losing than winning. I don't adhere to that concept when you lose the way we lost. Fielding has to improve, timely hitting has to improve. We got great innings from a couple pitchers and that is a positive but having a snow ball fight on the infield in the eighth did not help us learn. Yeah I bet they worked on fielding and throwing today but I bet they have worked on it other days as well. You don't wake up and sudden become Ozzie Smith on defense just as you don't wake up and suddenly suck at playing defense. Timely hitting is mental. Swinging and missing at balls in the dirt or off the plate is mental as well and we have some guys that are real mental about doing that in the lineup. They provide pop and have experience but they also know better. Things aren't doom and gloom but there are areas that must be improved before June
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

pigture perfect

I don't think this loss was that beneficial. It was how we lost. Errors and walks cost us the game, not necessarily scheme or execution by the other team.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

flippinhogmana

My take on it is simply this:  Loeske pitched in such a way that I believe he struck out all but one batter he faced, maybe that really gets him going again, thats a win for us.  Kjesrstad hit two dingers, maybe that gets him going super hot again, that's a win for us.  Fletcher hit the ball sharply twice maybe that helps him shake off his slump, that would be win for us.  Maybe for the rest of the team they get it pounded into their heads one more time you can't take any game for granted.  Those may be pollyannish assessments, but I think that is what we can take from the game and build on.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

AugustaHog

It's baseball.  You don't win every game.  I don't think we gain much from this one, but in the grand scheme of things, we're still a top 10, probably top 3-5 type team.  My one take away from this is that we need to gain some consistency, especially at the plate.  We are much better than we played at Charlotte.  Heck, go win 2 games in Gainesville this weekend and nobody is going to pay any attention to the fact that we lost to Charlotte on Wednesday.

howie76

Quote from: flippinhogmana on March 23, 2018, 03:00:55 am
My take on it is simply this:  Loeske pitched in such a way that I believe he struck out all but one batter he faced, maybe that really gets him going again, thats a win for us.  Kjesrstad hit two dingers, maybe that gets him going super hot again, that's a win for us.  Fletcher hit the ball sharply twice maybe that helps him shake off his slump, that would be win for us.  Maybe for the rest of the team they get it pounded into their heads one more time you can't take any game for granted.  Those may be pollyannish assessments, but I think that is what we can take from the game and build on.
i like the way you think flippin! Gotta keep everything in perspective..

searkhogfan

I've heard Nolan Richardson say a well timed loss can be beneficial. Also heard a couple of high school baseball coaches say the same thing.  Gets your head out of the clouds.  I'd rather see them lose a midweek game like this. Than blow one against a Florida & such

hogmolar

I think this was a classic "trap game".  Big series win vs KY and FL on the horizon coupled with the fact that we took out a pitcher who was dominating and were changing pitchers frequently, jumped ahead in the 2nd on a bomb, had runners in scoring position with ease in the 3rd, the list goes on.... 

I believe the boys did not have a game feel to this game and treated it more like a practice game and it came back to bite them.  It happens and will happen again I bet.  Hopefully lesson learned.  We still have a really good baseball team.

SPAL

Quote from: hogmolar on March 23, 2018, 09:02:13 am
I think this was a classic "trap game".  Big series win vs KY and FL on the horizon coupled with the fact that we took out a pitcher who was dominating and were changing pitchers frequently, jumped ahead in the 2nd on a bomb, had runners in scoring position with ease in the 3rd, the list goes on.... 

I believe the boys did not have a game feel to this game and treated it more like a practice game and it came back to bite them.  It happens and will happen again I bet.  Hopefully lesson learned.  We still have a really good baseball team.

Yep

Uberanubis

its a tough loss that's for sure. the bright side, imo, was lots of pitchers got some work in a game situation. hogs will need lots of solid pitching down the road and I think its important to have a deep staff.
Quote from: East TN HAWG on January 31, 2015, 11:37:05 am
I think it's a common event whether it is in AR or around the world where a group of Hog fans get together.  I've seen it in TN, TX, LA and in Germany.  Being a Razorback is like being in a brotherhood.  When the brotherhood meet, they call the Hogs.

247Hog

I agree 100% it was a trap game. We also have to realize we're ranked in the top 5 in the entire country and that means everyone will be giving us their A game and giving extra effort to knock us down. Have to still find a way to win the trap games.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

NEA_HogFan

Look at the Non-Conference mid week losses around the SEC this year. Belmont beat Vandy and South Carolina lost to Citadel this week. It happens