Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

TX Coaching Search

Started by trashcan maN, December 06, 2013, 09:50:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: kj0N on December 06, 2013, 10:55:04 am
No one knows for sure who the coach will be, but the word is that Dec. 13th is the date. If that's true and it is Saban, I assume he will not coach Bama in the bowl game.

...and I assume you're saying that because he wants to live long enough to coach a game at Texas if he's hired right?   ;)

Musburger:  "And in an unprecedented move, coach Saban will coach the game from the press box where bullet proof plexi-glass has been installed.  The death threats were simply too plentiful to ignore this time, and security felt it was in everyone's best interest." 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: rlh06 on December 06, 2013, 10:56:55 am
Word I'm hearing is Saban is getting another raise to stay at Bama.

Source? 

Sorry, I couldn't resist.  Speaking of...kjoN hasn't been asked his source either.  Spill it guys....   ;)
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

urkillnmesmalls

Just felt like going for a four banger.   :P   :razorback:

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: rlh06 on December 06, 2013, 10:56:55 am
Word I'm hearing is Saban is getting another raise to stay at Bama.

This, I believe. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

grayhawg

Not convinced any of this is true, but I am reasonably sure Saban would not have to use another school to get a raise.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: grayhawg on December 06, 2013, 11:05:12 am
Not convinced any of this is true, but I am reasonably sure Saban would not have to use another school to get a raise.

Sure, he wouldn't HAVE to, but he, like any coach, would take advantage of all the rumors.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 06, 2013, 11:03:56 am
This, I believe.

But they're juuuust dumb enough to say, "You lost to Auburn this year under a first year head coach, and you want a raise?" 

Wild horses couldn't keep him from leaving at that point. 

I'd have to believe there's someone there at Bama who realizes what they have, but I never underestimate their ability to show their ignorance. 

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 06, 2013, 11:08:07 am
But they're juuuust dumb enough to say, "You lost to Auburn this year under a first year head coach, and you want a raise?" 

I'd have to believe there's someone there at Bama who realizes what they have, but I never underestimate their ability to show their ignorance. 

I think the boys in Austin are dumber.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: grayhawg on December 06, 2013, 11:05:12 am

A loss to Auburn under a first year coach goes as lot further toward decreasing his leverage than you would ever imagine.  We're dealing with a level of crazy that flies in the face of common sense, so it's hard to comprehend by most sane people.  That game is everything to them...

Melhog

Quote from: WILL CLINTON on December 06, 2013, 10:35:20 am
I didn't know this one. I actually thought her being happy was one of the reasons Saban said he wouldn't consider a move. Women do change on a whim though.

YouR right and I'm not sure where all this 'wifey hates T-town" is coming from.  The only thing she's ever said that might be construed negatively is fans are getting too used to winning NC's basically. It was not that she and Nick were underappreciated.  Basically, everything she has ever said publicly was she was happy in T-town and they weren't leaving.  No way Saban leaves for Texas IMO. 

trashcan maN

There is no doubt that Bama will throw checkbook at Saban. This never was an issue of money. TX has the largest coffers of any university outside of Harvard, they could pay him 20M a year and feel nothing.

I'm txting my source to see if he'll get on here and give us more infoZ.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 06, 2013, 11:09:53 am
I think the boys in Austin are dumber.

Well, if they keep Brown, then you'll get no argument from me.   :D   

Just like Chizik and Malzahn should thank Cam Newton every day, Brown should thank Vince Young.  It's crazy how CFB an hinge on one outstanding player at the QB position, and how many coaches that fact has impacted over the years...for better or worse. 

texas tush hog

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 06, 2013, 10:47:53 am
I've been to Austin and Tuscaloosa and while I find Tuscaloosa a much better experience than Austin I try to keep in mind the old adage 'to each their own'.  There is a pretentious air in Austin (and Texas for that matter) that exists to a much smaller degree in Tuscaloosa (and Alabama) - again IMO.

Could this have anything to do with the Saban,s interest in Texas

www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/post/nick-sabans-daughter-sued-by-sorority-sister-for-facebook-fueled-fight/2012/07/12/gJQASPqxfW_blog.html

www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/12/suit-blames-alabama-coach-saban-daughter_n_1668148.html

trashcan maN

Quote from: Melhog on December 06, 2013, 11:10:31 am
YouR right and I'm not sure where all this 'wifey hates T-town" is coming from.  The only thing she's ever said that might be construed negatively is fans are getting too used to winning NC's basically. It was not that she and Nick were underappreciated.  Basically, everything she has ever said publicly was she was happy in T-town and they weren't leaving.  No way Saban leaves for Texas IMO.
Most of the wife stuff comes from an interview she did with Wall Street Journal. In the article she says he's not leaving and also says the rumors of her looking at houses in Austin are false. They were later proved to be true and she had to recant..lol

Oklahawg, this article might show that Ms Saban has more pull than you might think, but you're right, she also doesn't seem like a woman who would make an emotion-based decision either.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303281504579220393805048908

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 06, 2013, 11:11:59 am
You think Jimmy Sexton wouldn't pass up a chance to grab more cash for a client?

Well, do you?

Uberanubis

concerning recruits. when did Texas become part of the sec and are limited to 25 scholies a year?
Quote from: East TN HAWG on January 31, 2015, 11:37:05 am
I think it's a common event whether it is in AR or around the world where a group of Hog fans get together.  I've seen it in TN, TX, LA and in Germany.  Being a Razorback is like being in a brotherhood.  When the brotherhood meet, they call the Hogs.

KCRazorbackfan

Quote from: kj0N on December 06, 2013, 09:59:36 am
Im with you, man. From the beginning I've thought that there is no way in hell, but I've changed my mind over time.

(Alabama) Fans are more obnoxious.......

I got paired up with a guy from Alabama earlier this season one day playing golf at Hodge Park in Kansas City; man, he was a Class A prick from the get-go when he saw all of my Hog gear.  I just let my clubs do the talking! :)
Life took me to Central Florida, but I'll always be a Razorback.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 06, 2013, 11:11:59 am
You think Jimmy Sexton wouldn't pass up a chance to grab more cash for a client?

If that dude's breathing, he's looking for an angle to get more cash for his clients.  It will be year four before CBB gets paid as much as HDN did for NOT coaching!!   :o

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 06, 2013, 11:12:34 am
Well, if they keep Brown, then you'll get no argument from me.   :D   

Just like Chizik and Malzahn should thank Cam Newton every day, Brown should thank Vince Young.  It's crazy how CFB an hinge on one outstanding player at the QB position, and how many coaches that fact has impacted over the years...for better or worse. 

Yeah, but I think you over exaggerate the lunacy in Tuscaloosa...and, no, I'm not naive.  Heck, they gave up a 3 or 4 TD lead at home to Allburn a couple years ago...to Chizik.  How were they rewarded?  A couple more NC titles.

trashcan maN

From WSJ Article, sound familiar?

In late 1999, after a 9-2 season, Saban felt the school owed him a bonus and was disappointed when it didn't come immediately. After reports surfaced that Saban was talking with LSU, a team of Michigan State administrators led by Joel Ferguson, a trustee, went to Saban's house one Saturday night. Saban denied being in talks with LSU—he said the school had simply reached out to him. But something struck the administrators as odd: Terry wasn't home.

"Joel said, 'Nick where's Terry?'" said Underwood, who was in the group. "He said she was at the store. But then he asked again: "Nick, is Terry in Baton Rouge?' And he said, 'Yes, she's there now.'" The next morning, Saban left for LSU.

Dirty

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 06, 2013, 11:08:07 am

And you lost to a high school coach.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 06, 2013, 11:16:26 am
Yeah, but I think you over exaggerate the lunacy in Tuscaloosa...and, no, I'm not naive.  Heck, they gave up a 3 or 4 TD lead at home to Allburn a couple years ago...to Chizik.  How were they rewarded?  A couple more NC titles.

Exaggerate?  Weren't a few people shot after that loss to Auburn?   ???

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 06, 2013, 11:19:26 am
Exaggerate?  Weren't a few people shot after that loss to Auburn?   ???

Were they decision makers within the University?

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Dirty on December 06, 2013, 11:18:58 am
And you lost to a high school coach.

Only people from Arkansas say that stupid crap.  Trust me....people respect Malzahn from everywhere else.  It's our disjointed and misdirected fan base that perpetuates stupid stuff like that. 

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 06, 2013, 11:00:53 am
Source? 

Sorry, I couldn't resist.  Speaking of...kjoN hasn't been asked his source either.  Spill it guys....   ;)

Mine is a good friend, former coworker, Bama alum/booster, and friend of Finebaums.  He told me Saban negotiated raises for his staff around 6 months ago and that Bama was finishing up a yearly raise package for him now.  If that's the case, I would expect Texas to come out with a typical, save face denial of talking with Saban and then do whatever they're gonna do. We'll see what happens though cause every situation like this has a little fluid-ness to it.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 06, 2013, 11:21:35 am
Only people from Arkansas say that stupid crap.  Trust me....people respect Malzahn from everywhere else.  It's our disjointed and misdirected fan base that perpetuates stupid stuff like that. 

Now THIS is NOT an over exaggeration.  +1

Dirty

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 06, 2013, 11:21:35 am

Sounds to me, you are one of those so called Gus Huggers!

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Cullen Fitzpatrick on December 06, 2013, 10:09:52 am
If this happens (Saban leaving), does Smart go with him or take over?

If he is smart he goes with him.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 06, 2013, 11:21:16 am
Were they decision makers within the University?

I doubt it, but their fans think they make the decisions...sort of like ours ya know? 

As I said, I think they have some people in admin that realize that an unlucky loss to AU is not the end of the world.  It still wouldn't surprise me to see them NOT cater to his every whim, which they should, and him decide it's time to move on. 

It's like a company who decides they need to get rid of all of their top experienced sales people, because they're selling too much and getting paid too much money.  Then they hire a bunch of rookies, and their sales numbers drop like a rock, and some shmuck is standing in front of the corporate brass blaming it on everything BUT that stupid decision.   

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Dirty on December 06, 2013, 11:24:14 am

No it doesn't.  And I'm a BB fan.

uams1989

Quote from: kj0N on December 06, 2013, 09:59:36 am
Im with you, man. From the beginning I've thought that there is no way in hell, but I've changed my mind over time.

-Just lost to in-state rival. Fans are more obnoxious and ungrateful than ever.
-Wife openly hates Tuscaloosa
-Losing QB. Will struggle to compete for Natty next year with a first year starter who didn't look great in limited reps this year.
-Austin is a booming, cosmopolitan city. Tuscaloosa is the beating heart of redneckville.
-UT pays more

If it's ever going to happen, it's going to be this year.

Okay, I'll bite.

- lost to Auburn in 2010 in a much more embarrassing fashion.  There were coaching jobs available then...he stayed and won 2 NCs.
- show me anywhere Terry Saban has openly said she hates Tuscaloosa.  I can show you articles and interviews where she has said they love Tuscaloosa.  She made a comment that she is not sure Bama fans appreciate what Nick has done.  In the context she said it, she's probably right.
- lost the starting QB already twice.  Guess what happened the following two years...yep, right again, a NC the following year.  I love how you think Bama can't replace a QB!  Remember, Bama doesn't live only by the QB.
- I will give you Austin, but, Saban is a workaholic.  I don't think he really cares about the asthetics of the town.  Texas, BTW, is not a prettier or nicer campus than Bama.  The Alabama campus has Texas beat by a long shot!
- Bama can match whatever Texas would likely pay. I'm not saying Bama has as much money as Texas.  I'm saying Texas would have to get well above $10 million/year and i don't think they would.  I don't think Saban will leave Alabama for money, anyway.

I'm not a Bama fan that thinks Saban would never leave Alabama, but, there are a couple of a major reasons I don't think he would take the Texas job.  He has complete control at Alabama.  He does the minimum interviews, coach's shows, etc.  I don't think the good ole boys at Texas would give him complete control and Mack has been complaining for two years about the demands of the Longhorn Network.  Saban isn't going to do three or four shows a week.  Texas would have to give him COMPLETE control and I just don't think the power brokers at Texas would be willing to give it up.
"They got a name for the winners in the world...
They call Alabama the Crimson Tide..."

superior_wang

the Texas coaching job is the best  one in the world for a college coach. Bammer included. Unlimited resources , all the recruits and money you want, and a school that will run over their grammaws to win.  Not to mention Austin is a massive upgrade over Tuskaloosa or however the hell u spell it. Plus, i could coach a team i hand picked from a retirement home and go 6-6 in the big 12.

and one more thing...

will u folks get off Gus? dude has kicked  everyone's ass from here to Bhutan. The man can coach. IF you dont get that, you are just a MOTHO.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Dirty on December 06, 2013, 11:24:14 am

Just to make sure I have this straight, you repeated a term that HDN used to define Gus while he was here, and now YOU are perpetuating it. 

Doesn't that make you a Nutt Hugger of at least the 3rd order? 

See...I can act juvenile and immature just like you when I want to.  I just choose to rise above it. 

Boardon Hamsay

Gary Kubiak just became available ;D He'll stay in The League most likely.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: rlh06 on December 06, 2013, 11:22:35 am
Mine is a good friend, former coworker, Bama alum/booster, and friend of Finebaums.  He told me Saban negotiated raises for his staff around 6 months ago and that Bama was finishing up a yearly raise package for him now.  If that's the case, I would expect Texas to come out with a typical, save face denial of talking with Saban and then do whatever they're gonna do. We'll see what happens though cause every situation like this has a little fluid-ness to it.

Texas already had the president release a statement. What I find most interesting about this is that he refuses to discuss the status of Mack Brown. Basically, a statement that we haven't done anything yet not that they won't try.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2013-12-05/nick-saban-to-texas-president-denies-rumors-alabama-longhorns-mack-brown-jimmy-sexton

texas tush hog

Quote from: kj0N on December 06, 2013, 11:10:51 am
There is no doubt that Bama will throw checkbook at Saban. This never was an issue of money. TX has the largest coffers of any university outside of Harvard, they could pay him 20M a year and feel nothing.

I'm txting my source to see if he'll get on here and give us more infoZ.

I don't have a source I can quote, and the teasippers who are well connected and saying this, blow smoke more than I care to tell, but the numbers being bandied about are 5 years at 10-15 million a year, guaranteed. Bama can't touch that and Sexton has already deposited the commission check, if it's true. Nice rumor though kjON

Jacob "2 Scoops" Johnson

Realistically, both these schools could run up the price to 20M easily if they wanted to. Money won't be a factor on choosing one school over the other.
ched come back pls

rhames

None of you people have sources.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

jkstock04

Do people actually believe this? Or is this just Hog fan hand wringing praying Saban leaves Bama so that we might have a shot against them?

Saban to Texas makes zero sense.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

trashcan maN

Quote from: uams1989 on December 06, 2013, 11:25:50 am
Okay, I'll bite.

- lost to Auburn in 2010 in a much more embarrassing fashion.  There were coaching jobs available then...he stayed and won 2 NCs.
- show me anywhere Terry Saban has openly said she hates Tuscaloosa.  I can show you articles and interviews where she has said they love Tuscaloosa.  She made a comment that she is not sure Bama fans appreciate what Nick has done.  In the context she said it, she's probably right.
- lost the starting QB already twice.  Guess what happened the following two years...yep, right again, a NC the following year.  I love how you think Bama can't replace a QB!  Remember, Bama doesn't live only by the QB.
- I will give you Austin, but, Saban is a workaholic.  I don't think he really cares about the asthetics of the town.  Texas, BTW, is not a prettier or nicer campus than Bama.  The Alabama campus has Texas beat by a long shot!
- Bama can match whatever Texas would likely pay. I'm not saying Bama has as much money as Texas.  I'm saying Texas would have to get well above $10 million/year and i don't think they would.  I don't think Saban will leave Alabama for money, anyway.

I'm not a Bama fan that thinks Saban would never leave Alabama, but, there are a couple of a major reasons I don't think he would take the Texas job.  He has complete control at Alabama.  He does the minimum interviews, coach's shows, etc.  I don't think the good ole boys at Texas would give him complete control and Mack has been complaining for two years about the demands of the Longhorn Network.  Saban isn't going to do three or four shows a week.  Texas would have to give him COMPLETE control and I just don't think the power brokers at Texas would be willing to give it up.
Good post and thanks for the perspective. I would argue that the expectations and pressure were not as high in 2010 as they are now and he was 3 years younger. The safe bet is that he will stay, but there is enough smoke that it is wortrh a discussion.
I agree with your point on the money. Texas has more in the bank, but either school can open the checkbook without feeling much.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: texas tush hog on December 06, 2013, 11:34:26 am

I don't have a source I can quote, and the teasippers who are well connected and saying this, blow smoke more than I care to tell, but the numbers being bandied about are 5 years at 10-15 million a year, guaranteed. Bama can't touch that and Sexton has already deposited the commission check, if it's true. Nice rumor though kjON

Here we go again with the "sources."   ::)

I'll be paying attention to what color tie Saban is wearing for the next few weeks in every public appearance. 

If Saban goes, it will be for a comfortable sum of money...no doubt, but I think that will have little to do with it.  It will be because he wants to secure his legacy by being the only coach to win the NC at three different schools, and if that's his goal...there will never be a better time to do it.

History shows that ANY time you have that many big egos trying to work through something, it can go south in a heartbeat.     

superior_wang

thats insane money. Hope its true though.

trashcan maN

Um, I was just giving an example. Texas could pay a coach 20M and not feel it. They have essentially unlimited resources. I have no idea about the contract negotiations.

trashcan maN

Quote from: rhames on December 06, 2013, 11:37:49 am
None of you people have sources.
Nope, no source here. Was just ribbing the guy calling for my source. This is info coming from TX pay boards. The dates and info are being thrown around by folks who have called things a week or so ahead of them happening through the whole process.

-DC being fired
-AD stepping down
-Steve Patterson being hired

Take it FWIW. I'm not claiming to be an insider lol..

Fort Dweller

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 06, 2013, 11:00:53 am
Source? 

rlh06 works for/with ESPN if I remember correctly
Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

WILL CLINTON

There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: kj0N on December 06, 2013, 11:42:23 am
Um, I was just giving an example. Texas could pay a coach 20M and not feel it. They have essentially unlimited resources. I have no idea about the contract negotiations.

It is an interesting discussion.  Basically, if he leaves Bama for Texas, his legacy there would be damaged.  The fans would eventually get over it, but it would take awhile...and even longer should UT ever play them in a game of any magnitude and beat them. 

If they came at him with a three year $20M guaranteed contract, how would he say not to that?  He could take a stab at doing something that may never be duplicated, and even if it doesn't work out, he would still be thought of as one of the greatest CFB coaches of all time.  The only thing he loses is...some respect from the Bama fan base.  That's why I think it could happen, despite so many people suggesting it's just a ploy for a big raise. 

He could retire tomorrow and probably get a job as an analyst making more than anyone ever has just for commenting on CFB.  There's a reason Gruden has stayed where he is...

trashcan maN

Quote from: WILL CLINTON on December 06, 2013, 11:46:06 am
http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/2013/texas-president-talks-nick-saban/

In this, the misses says that they will retire in Tuscaloosa.
She also said there was no foundation to the rumors that she was house hunting in Austin. Then someone pointed out that she was blatantly seen house hunting, and she had to come up with a different story.

The Sabans have shown no problem with lying to the media, the administration, fans and recruits when it's time to pack up and leave. I don't know if they will leave, but I'm certainly not taking their word as gospel.

Bubba's Bruisers

Please leave Tuscaloosa, Nick.  Puuleeeeeeaaase.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: kj0N on December 06, 2013, 11:44:56 am
Nope, no source here. Was just ribbing the guy calling for my source. This is info coming from TX pay boards. The dates and info are being thrown around by folks who have called things a week or so ahead of them happening through the whole process.

-DC being fired
-AD stepping down
-Steve Patterson being hired

Take it FWIW. I'm not claiming to be an insider lol..

So you're saying that the actual message boards for UT might be more accurate than what color tie someone is wearing? 

I would venture a guess that your "source" is probably more reliable than some of the "insiders" that we have on Hogville, but it's just a hunch.   8)