Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What stone isn't being overturned?

Started by 1longshot, October 28, 2016, 09:46:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

1longshot

I recently listened to a local sports show featuring Jeff Long on which he was bragging about the state of Razorback Athletics.  On that show he crowed how efficient they were and it's left me kicking one line of questions around a bit in light of the belief that Arkansas can't.   So even though I don't post much I just have to ask what would three million annually do for this program?  What would tax dollars that aren't used do?  I always hear Arkansas can't  but I'm starting to feel that those in power simply don't want to that bad.  As a fan I wonder if they don't take the extra capital to invest in the program and its future because they don't want to answer for the investment and its returns.  Does anyone else agree?  If not what stone has been left un-turned that might make a difference?  (Please limit responses to legal options.)

ricepig

I guess I'll ask, what the hell are you talking about? We can't what? And what $3M are you talking about? And finally, this has to do with recruiting, how?

1longshot

For anyone who cares to read its in recruiting people are always ripping apart anyone who dares to think that more is a reasonable expectation.  So reasonably inferred why can't Arkansas fans expect more or better results.  The three million was revenue Long stated the athletic department turns back over to the school for academic scholarships and usage.  And finally what this has to do with recruiting is the school isn't producing a reasonable return in my opinion. To be pushing money away from recruiting budgets and coaching salaries one would think the product is acceptable and I'm just saying there are rocks left un-turned that could be actualized to increase the quality of the product on the field and the sidelines.  Hopefully you are able to understand what again is simply stated.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: 1longshot on October 28, 2016, 10:31:04 pm
For anyone who cares to read its in recruiting people are always ripping apart anyone who dares to think that more is a reasonable expectation.  So reasonably inferred why can't Arkansas fans expect more or better results.  The three million was revenue Long stated the athletic department turns back over to the school for academic scholarships and usage.  And finally what this has to do with recruiting is the school isn't producing a reasonable return in my opinion. To be pushing money away from recruiting budgets and coaching salaries one would think the product is acceptable and I'm just saying there are rocks left un-turned that could be actualized to increase the quality of the product on the field and the sidelines.  Hopefully you are able to understand what again is simply stated.
It infuriates me to think we waste 3,000,000 a year on academics. I mean, REALLY? They had a billion dollar grant AND they up tuition all the damn time. Why is the UofA academic side on WELFARE?? Especially, as you said, when we are far from a 'finished product' as a program. It's ridiculous.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

RME

October 29, 2016, 12:43:48 am #4 Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 12:55:54 am by RyanMallettsEgo
So, lemme get this straight.
You guys are griping about the athletic department (which exists because of the University, an institution for higher learning) giving some money back to the University (an institution for higher learning, and the only reason the athletic department exists)?

"It infuriates me to think we waste 3,000,000 a year on academics. I mean, REALLY?" There, my friends, is a truly brilliant statement.

Pokey, Longshot, did you guys go to the University of Arkansas? If you did, why does it upset you to the point of infuriation that the athletic department gives back?

This such an unfortunate recurring theme on this board. People take our athletic department and football team so much for granted it's unreal. The University of Arkansas is a place of higher education that offers varsity sports. It isn't a varsity sports department that offers academics on the side.

1longshot

On the contrary I fully support people getting an educational experience however i disagree with the athletic department giving money back maybe it's selfish but I paid my way and others can too.  What does irritate me though is the level of product I'd pay ten bucks a seat more to be competitive instead of what we are to have the feeling that more could have been done to field a winner.  I don't know if it's facilities technology or just more money for better coaches and staff but I'd rather pay more for a chance than accept the we can't attitude.

ricepig

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on October 29, 2016, 12:43:48 am
You guys are griping about the athletic department (which exists because of the University, an institution for higher learning) giving some money back to the University (an institution for higher learning, and the only reason the athletic department exists)?

"It infuriates me to think we waste 3,000,000 a year on academics. I mean, REALLY?" There, my friends, is a truly brilliant statement.

Pokey, Longshot, did you guys go to the University of Arkansas? If you did, why does it upset you to the point of infuriation that the athletic department gives back?

This such an unfortunate recurring theme on this board. People take our athletic department and football team so much for granted it's unreal. The University of Arkansas is a place of higher education that offers varsity sports. It isn't a varsity sports department that offers academics on the side.

Lol, PIP was being sarcastic, the other guy, I think he's serious.

ricepig

Quote from: 1longshot on October 28, 2016, 10:31:04 pm

The $3M goes to pay the bonds on Champions Hall, and the general scholarship fund, we can afford it, lol. As far as a reasonable return, there's a forum on finance/investment on here for return on one's money, it isn't athletics. How do you know this money is being pushed away from recruiting or coaching salary budgets? This is an academic institution, so there's that. If it bothers you so much, endow a Recruiting Coordinator with an additional $3M budget, seems easy enough for you, right????

1longshot

The way Long described it in the interview was as excess revenue.   He never mentioned paying on bonds that's reasonable I wish the government would be as faithful at paying bills,  but Long said it went to academic scholarships and if that's the case why not fund additional salaries or recruiting budgets.  Surely todays youth are still capable of paying for what they want to purchase education included.  However, if this is a line item you can't see better athletic uses for, since the money comes from athletics  (bonds aside) focus then on what  could the institution reasonably purchase that hasn't already been purchased to even the playing field in terms of recruiting.   Simply stated is there any new tech additional staff (where allowed) or facilities that are needed.   If you want the current annual money mentioned above to go on its current path raise ticket prices, and save the mess about donating 3 million we both know I don't have that but you probably don't either.

ricepig

Quote from: 1longshot on October 29, 2016, 10:16:38 am
The way Long described it in the interview was as excess revenue.   He never mentioned paying on bonds that's reasonable I wish the government would be as faithful at paying bills,  but Long said it went to academic scholarships and if that's the case why not fund additional salaries or recruiting budgets.  Surely todays youth are still capable of paying for what they want to purchase education included.  However, if this is a line item you can't see better athletic uses for, since the money comes from athletics  (bonds aside) focus then on what  could the institution reasonably purchase that hasn't already been purchased to even the playing field in terms of recruiting.   Simply stated is there any new tech additional staff (where allowed) or facilities that are needed.   If you want the current annual money mentioned above to go on its current path raise ticket prices, and save the mess about donating 3 million we both know I don't have that but you probably don't either.

Additional money, unless paid directly to recruits, isn't going to pump up recruiting to another level. We already do about everything we can, legally. I'm sure RD would tell you we use all of our off campus visits the coaches can do, and I'm pretty sure we send them more mail than they care to receive. We also have the virtual reality system and were one of the first to have it, and we use it in recruiting.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2015/06/09/strivr-eon-football-virtual-reality-training-college-quarterbacks/28725797/

http://www.nwahomepage.com/news/champions-hall-now-open-at-university-of-arkansas

The Hawg Marshal

Pig in the Pokey

Hell yeah I went to UofA. They get paid Tuition.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Oklahawg

Could be shut down soon, could turn into one of the greatest HV threads ever.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: ricepig on October 29, 2016, 08:33:53 am
Lol, PIP was being sarcastic, the other guy, I think he's serious.
i was.

i was kidding but the more i read my statement, hell. I guess I really kinda do wonder why athletics sends money to academics. If it were the other way around, folks would be outraged.
@Slackaveli

ricepig

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on October 29, 2016, 07:43:49 pm
i was.i was kidding but the more i read my statement, hell. I guess I really kinda do wonder why athletics sends money to academics. If it were the other way around, folks would be outraged.

We send money because we have excess. Can you imagine MMQB if we paid our staff more????

hawgbawb

Quote from: 1longshot on October 29, 2016, 03:46:21 am
On the contrary I fully support people getting an educational experience however i disagree with the athletic department giving money back maybe it's selfish but I paid my way and others can too.  What does irritate me though is the level of product I'd pay ten bucks a seat more to be competitive instead of what we are to have the feeling that more could have been done to field a winner.  I don't know if it's facilities technology or just more money for better coaches and staff but I'd rather pay more for a chance than accept the we can't attitude.
You should go to college and learn to write.
I post, therefor I am.
John Highsmith Adams rocks.

1longshot

It's a message board and I'm writing on a telephone grow up.

1longshot

Imagine the quality
Improvement available to the staff with that extra money.