Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

So, in the Top247

Started by Prestworthy, October 27, 2016, 06:55:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Quote from: Prestworthy on October 27, 2016, 07:52:08 pm
If they were so great, why is only 1/4 on an NFL roster?

Strawman approach? Enjoy the rest of the conversation with yourself, also, why isn't the QB in the NFL? The discussion was about "good" Arkansas teams, not pro's, lol.

Prestworthy

Quote from: ricepig on October 27, 2016, 07:54:14 pm
Strawman approach? Enjoy the rest of the conversation with yourself, also, why isn't the QB in the NFL? The discussion was about "good" Arkansas teams, not pro's, lol.
I remember now why I've ignored your replies for a while...you are right all the time.

Oklahawg

Quote from: Prestworthy on October 27, 2016, 07:58:55 pm
I remember now why I've ignored your replies for a while...you are right all the time.

Ironic.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

RME

Quote from: Prestworthy on October 27, 2016, 07:46:53 pm
Another point to be made - if CBP were coaching the current WR's, they would look a lot like Adams, Wright, and Childs. He just makes WR's look great. Adams and Childs are free agents btw.

Quote from: Prestworthy on October 27, 2016, 07:52:08 pm
If they were so great, why is only 1/4 on an NFL roster?

Are you that bored with life, or are you just a dumbass?

Can there not be great college players who never made it in the NFL?

"Just makes them look great." Right, because those guys were talentless otherwise.

Prestworthy

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on October 27, 2016, 08:12:00 pm
Are you that bored with life, or are you just a dumbass?

Can there not be great college players who never made it in the NFL?

"Just makes them look great." Right, because those guys were talentless otherwise.
Lol name-calling, eh?

Oklahawg

I think the argument goes something like this:

Native Arkansans are more likely to be born with an affinity for the Hogs than are out of state recruits. Even if the Native Arkansans are not starters they are in the depth chart pushing for playing time, filling out special teams, and being willing to endure being a walk-on, even, or hardships to represent their beloved Hogs. The team cannot win only relying on Native Arkansans. Might be a nice, feel-good story but would not up the win total. 

To instead recruit a roster of only non-Arkansans is not practical either. The players are less likely to endure hardships or walk-on, and lack that extra layer of intangible stuff, growing up a Hog fan in an environment where everyone else is a Hog fan also. And, you are now competing for players who grew up rooting for other teams (also recruiting that player) or simply recruiting against other top programs.

NFL rosters are not populated with players from only top 10 programs. There are plenty of mid-majors, non-D1 programs, even small-ish programs (clue: look for "state," "college," denomination, or a direction in the school's name; better, look for one, or more of the above). The career span for the NFL is wickedly small. Not the best metric, but one that could be used. Warning: the NFL metric tends to be an equalizing factor in these discussions, sure to piss off the star-gazers but not a given to prop up the arguments of those who are unimpressed with the opinions of the gooroos).

Prestworthy mentions the roster a few years ago and the in-state argument. Seems to miss the mark although I get his point. Every great, or just "pretty good," UA team has had to rely on a great out-of-stater, going back to Lance Alworth, through Joe Ferguson, can't ignore Ike Forte, don't forget Barry Foster, must mention Decori Birmingham and Fred Talley, hard to ignore Cobi Hamilton, and most recently Alex Collins and Jonathan Williams. As best I can tell, not one native Arkansan who grew up rooting for the hogs in that list, but all of them embraced being a hog and starred for us. And, I think, they remain loyal Hogs to this day. (Might have an imperfect set of examples!)

That last great Petrino team had DJ Williams. We've already kicked around Tyler Wilson and (given the above paragraph) wondered about whether Ryan Mallet qualifies. Petrino had the in-state WRs. Two in-state OL who were recruited by many elite programs, 4-star talents coming out of NWA.

There is a longer narrative regarding recruiting that I'm surprised someone didn't mention: the early days of online recruiting sites was marked by the local writers being able to appeal to the national gooroos for a bump to the ratings of a couple of in-staters. It would drive local subscription rates and help pay for the local writers' livelihood. Too often, it propped beyond reasonable expectations several in-state players (many of whom, it turned out, were academic risks that were not attracting the attention of the major programs).

Arkansas in-state recruiting has not ebbed this low for multiple years in a row in a long time. The high-end quality seems ok - Agim, Capps, and Hammonds are all contributing already - but we are needing to spend the final 4-5 scholies on in-staters vs chasing out-of-staters. But, the in-staters are not capable of being a long-shot, it appears.

If CBB can get 10 Arkansas players in a class that are wanted by other P5 schools we have a shot at building something elite. I am not saying we can't otherwise, but the staff needs that boost. Year five of recruiting and we've not had it yet.

I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra