Previous topic - Next topic

razorsharptusk

Petrino:

2008  Won 5   Lost 7
2009  Won 8   Lost 5
2010  Won 10 Lost 3  Pre AP 17   AP High 8
2011  Won 11 Lost 2  Pre AP 15   AP High 3
Overall 34-17

After 2011, we lost one of the most successful coaches Arkansas ever had. Had he returned, Arkansas was picked and primed to make a run for the prize in 2012.  Like him or not, BP was a great fit for Arkansas. He brought the players to fit a scheme that separated us from the Alabama's of the world. He did not beat Alabama, not many are, but I feel he was close. If liking a winning record, a ranked team, and an opportunity to compete with the big dogs makes me a BP homer, then sign me up.   Beat's the crap out of what we have now and over the past five years.

Would not surprise me for Petrino to land at Tennessee, LSU, Auburn, or Texas AM after this year. Won't that be fun to try and defend.
GO HOGS!!

gchamblee

Quote from: Redhogs on October 06, 2017, 01:08:43 pm
Does this crap ever stop?? Only been gone 6 freaking years...guess it makes some people feel better about the buffoon we are stuck with....

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: razorsharptusk on October 06, 2017, 01:10:20 pm
Petrino:

2008  Won 5   Lost 7
2009  Won 8   Lost 5
Overall 34-17

After 2011, we lost one of the most successful coaches Arkansas ever had. Had he returned, Arkansas was picked and primed to make a run for the prize in 2012.  Like him or not, BP was a great fit for Arkansas. He brought the players to fit a scheme that separated us from the Alabama's of the world. He did not beat Alabama, not many are, but I feel he was close. If liking a winning record, a ranked team, and an opportunity to compete with the big dogs makes me a BP homer, then sign me up.   Beat's the crap out of what we have now and over the past five years.

Would not surprise me for Petrino to land at Tennessee, LSU, Auburn, or Texas AM after this year. Won't that be fun to try and defend.
Let's worry about CBP's possible hire at another SEC team IF, and WHEN, it comes. Otherwise this is all speculation and nothing we can do about anyway. Besides, hasn't ole "I honestly mean what I say" Petrino recently once again reaffirmed he and his family's desire/intention to stay and retire at UL? I mean we all know he's never been known to bolt the door at the first opportunity ;) 8) ::)

BigSexyHog

I wouldn't throw stones.. Your precious Bert can't beat Rutgers, Toldeo, Texas Tech or Mizzouri and has a below .500 record in year 5..... 
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

RazorPiggie

BP could have held together the 2012 team but after that year we were doomed. That 2010 recruiting class was just awful. 2011 wasn't much better. That was going to kill us.

onebadrubi

Quote from: MountieDawg on October 06, 2017, 12:03:50 pm
In 3 years at UL Petrino had a 26 -13 record, 17-7 in the ACC and a Sugar Bowl win and a Heisman Trophy winner.  CBB is a much better coach, too bad he doesn't own a motorcycle...

Whose trying to compare the two?  It's just noting that petrino can't win as many as he loses against ranked teams...

onebadrubi

Quote from: Hoggish1 on October 06, 2017, 12:14:30 pm
NCState also beat FSU.

FSU may not win 7 games this year...  So thats not saying much...

Razorbackers

Petrino:

It would surprise me since, as this thread has pointed out, he's done such a good job at under performing with such dynamic athletes in the ACC.

jcbville

Somebody didnt burn enough incense on their sweet Bobby jesus alters. For shame.

Razorbackers

Quote from: RazorPiggie on October 06, 2017, 01:32:41 pm
BP could have held together the 2012 team but after that year we were doomed. That 2010 recruiting class was just awful. 2011 wasn't much better. That was going to kill us.

I don't even know if he could have held 2012 together. It was a pretty top heavy schedule, though, so I bet he still could have won 9 maybe.

Next1_04

Quote from: BigSexyHog on October 06, 2017, 01:28:32 pm
I wouldn't throw stones.. Your precious Bert can't beat Rutgers, Toldeo, Texas Tech or Mizzouri and has a below .500 record in year 5..... 

If you are a hogs fan he is "your Bert" too, last I checked he's still the coach of the Arkansas Razorback Football Team. It's like people saying trump isn't "their" President.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Razorbackers on October 06, 2017, 01:47:13 pm
I don't even know if he could have held 2012 together. It was a pretty top heavy schedule, though, so I bet he still could have won 9 maybe.

I think he would have done about that. But I don't see anymore than 8 wins the following 2 years. But that's all I'm going to say about it.

The_Iceman

Quote from: RazorPiggie on October 06, 2017, 01:32:41 pm

He benefited from one of the best in state recruiting cycles ever. Almost all of his talent on offense was from Arkansas. After that all left, and he had to rely on his last 3 empty classes, the results would have fallen off drastically.

longpig

Quote from: HF#1 on October 06, 2017, 11:58:10 am
As soon as Grantham bolted, his defense was never going to be good. Not to mention all the defensive studs Strong left behind. Also, as usual, Petrino's ego gets in the way. He has a dynamic playmaker at QB and Petrino wants to make him a pocket passer.

Probably best for Jackson's draft stock if he does, not that BP would sacrifice wins to do it. 
Don't be scared, be smart.

onebadrubi

Quote from: longpig on October 06, 2017, 02:11:50 pm
Probably best for Jackson's draft stock if he does, not that BP would sacrifice wins to do it.

Jackson has said he chose Petrino to better make him a pockett passer because that is his best hope of making it to the NFL as a QB. 

Gonzo

I often wonder if the Greeks and Romans were as into their mythology as much as lots of HV?

Go Hogs!

Man, I love ole Bobby so much that I didn't even tune into the game last night until there was under 5 minutes left in the game.  I saw the previous Heisman winner trying to bring them back and he didn't look good.  Not like last year.  Threw that intercepted pass into triple coverage.  And yep, I blame Bobby for that.  It comes down to training doesn't it.  Louisville got their ass kicked last night by a decent team, not a great team.

So we all know how the Louisville fans feel don't we, Hog fans.  We get our asses handed to us just about every time we face a decent team, don't we Hog fans.  Yep, we know how it feels for the QB to screw up and throw the interception cause we been there many times in the recent past.  One thing we don't know much about is going in favored and ranked above and still getting our asses handed to us.  Durn it, we are rarely ranked above any one other than the rent a wins.

I'll tell you something else ole Bobby done and it really pisses me off.  Stupid Jerk came over here and won.  Not everything, mind you, but enough to to make the win starved fanbase enjoy again for the first time in 20+ years.  But never fear, we are now back on course, losing games we shouldn't, looking like a Sunday afternoon throw together team on a sandlot somewhere, wetting our pants believing we MAY have an outside chance at getting a bowl in BFE if we are outhouse lucky.  Ole Bobby messed up our thought processes and for that, he should pay.  We fans will eventually correct our thinking and realize it takes a 4 million dollar man to win 1 of 3 in conference and go .500 overall here at Arkansas.  Bobby rolled in here screwed up everything until it has taken a crackerjack AD 10 years and a Gold Standard B10 Coach, well, we don't know how long it will have taken to adjust our thinking back to where it should be.  Ole Bobby, the Sumbitch, well, he done really messed this all up.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Gonzo on October 06, 2017, 02:31:35 pm
I often wonder if the Greeks and Romans were as into their mythology as much as lots of HV?

Go Hogs!
Obviously can't say for sure; however, I do suspect there ARE some HV posters who go "greek" if you know what I mean ??? ;) 8)

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: 12247 on October 06, 2017, 03:09:01 pm
Man, I love ole Bobby so much that I didn't even tune into the game last night until there was under 5 minutes left in the game.  I saw the previous Heisman winner trying to bring them back and he didn't look good.  Not like last year.  Threw that intercepted pass into triple coverage.  And yep, I blame Bobby for that.  It comes down to training doesn't it.  Louisville got their ass kicked last night by a decent team, not a great team.

So we all know how the Louisville fans feel don't we, Hog fans.  We get our asses handed to us just about every time we face a decent team, don't we Hog fans.  Yep, we know how it feels for the QB to screw up and throw the interception cause we been there many times in the recent past.  One thing we don't know much about is going in favored and ranked above and still getting our asses handed to us.  Durn it, we are rarely ranked above any one other than the rent a wins.

I'll tell you something else ole Bobby done and it really pisses me off.  Stupid Jerk came over here and won.  Not everything, mind you, but enough to to make the win starved fanbase enjoy again for the first time in 20+ years.  But never fear, we are now back on course, losing games we shouldn't, looking like a Sunday afternoon throw together team on a sandlot somewhere, wetting our pants believing we MAY have an outside chance at getting a bowl in BFE if we are outhouse lucky.  Ole Bobby messed up our thought processes and for that, he should pay.  We fans will eventually correct our thinking and realize it takes a 4 million dollar man to win 1 of 3 in conference and go .500 overall here at Arkansas.  Bobby rolled in here screwed up everything until it has taken a crackerjack AD 10 years and a Gold Standard B10 Coach, well, we don't know how long it will have taken to adjust our thinking back to where it should be.  Ole Bobby, the Sumbitch, well, he done really messed this all up.
No, what you really should be pissed about is ole Bobby's "screwing the pooch" with what forced his rear out in the first place. I know, I know...some still want to totally blame ole Jeff for firing him to begin with. However, had Bobby NOT screwed around (both figuratively and literally) the decision wouldn't have been required in the first place.

Hawghiggs

Petrino:

2008  Won 5   Lost 7
2009  Won 8   Lost 5
Overall 34-17

Now that Jurich is gone from Louisville.  He will bolt.  The easy money will be on Tennessee.

GTOWNHOG

Quote from: MountieDawg on October 06, 2017, 12:03:50 pm
In 3 years at UL Petrino had a 26 -13 record, 17-7 in the ACC and a Sugar Bowl win and a Heisman Trophy winner.  CBB is a much better coach, too bad he doesn't own a motorcycle...

Petrino has a knack for losing games that matter.  While he won a lot of games while he was at Arkansas, when a SEC West title was on the line, we lost.....  See LSU, Alabama, etc.  He had some good teams, but he seems to lose the big games....  Sugar Bowl against Ohio State, etc...
Good luck to ALL of our Razorback teams!!

jcbville

Quote from: Hawghiggs on October 06, 2017, 03:33:19 pm
Now that Jurich is gone from Louisville.  He will bolt.  The easy money will be on Tennessee.

Oh God please let that happen. Please. Please. Please.

bennyl08

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 06, 2017, 11:32:46 am
Just going to put this out there because I've said it for a year now, Jackson did not deserve the Heisman last year... Watson was robbed.

Jackson: 3543 yards, 56.2% completion, 8.7 ypa, 30td, 9 int, 148.8 rating, 1571 rushing yards, 6.0 ypc, 20 touchdowns, he had a 6th and a 7th round draft pick surrounding him last year talent wise and nobody else went to the NFL. One of those NFL talents was a long snapper and the other a 7th round safety. So, 5114 total yards, 50 total touchdowns to 9 interceptions (can't easily find fumble stats) on a team not loaded with surrounding NFL talent.

Watson: 4593 yards, 67% completion, 7.9 ypa, 41 td, 17 int, 151.1 rating, 629 yards, 9 td's, 3.8 ypc. He had a first round WR, 4th round RB, and a 5th round TE on the team with him along with 3rd and 4th round defensive players in the NFL darft. That gives a total of 5222 yards, 50 td's, but 17 interceptions on a team where he wasn't even the best offensive player on his own team (his receiver was 5 spots ahead of him).

Not saying that Watson didn't deserve to be a heisman finalist. However, remove Jackson and Lou may not make a bowl game. Remove Watson and Clemson likely still makes the playoffs. Watson had about 100 total yards more. However, most of his yards came in the passing game where he tossed short passes to his receivers, rarely going downfield compared to Jackson who would air it out and had many of his yards on the ground due to not having nearly as much offensive help. Further, despite having a lot more surrounding talent, Jackson turned the ball over less than Watson.

So, Jackson they both had about the same total numbers, Jackson was mostly him getting those yards himself while Watson was mostly throwing shorter passes and counting on the talent of others. Watson had a lot more help while Jackson had to get those yards himself. Jackson was much more productive per touch than Watson. He had to be because he didn't have the defense that Watson enjoyed. Despite having a lot more pressure to have to make everything happen by himself, Jackson took much better care of the ball than Watson did. Austin Allen last year took better care of the ball than Watson did even. Jackson meant a lot more to his team that Watson did for his. Heisman went to the right player.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

bvillepig

Quote from: GTOWNHOG on October 06, 2017, 03:39:34 pm
Petrino has a knack for losing games that matter.  While he won a lot of games while he was at Arkansas, when a SEC West title was on the line, we lost.....  See LSU, Alabama, etc.  He had some good teams, but he seems to lose the big games....  Sugar Bowl against Ohio State, etc...

Yes.  He caused Mallet to throw an interception on the goal line and not do a scoop and score in the Sugar Bowl. It sure was fun ride while it lasted.

factchecker

Quote from: jcbville on October 06, 2017, 11:28:23 am
He hasnt beat a ranked team on the road.

0-7 when both teams are ranked. 0-4 when he has the higher ranked team.

Crazy to think that Bielema beat 3 ranked teams on the road in 2015.  Sadly, I think those are his only road wins over ranked opponents here:

@ 22 Tennessee   W 24-20
@ 10 Mississippi   W 53-52
@ 16 LSU   W 31-14

http://www.cfbstats.com/2015/team/31/index.html
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Hawghiggs on October 06, 2017, 03:33:19 pm
Lot of talk over in Tenny that IF that's the case that they're really looking forward to welcoming CBP to the Smoky Mountains.

factchecker

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on October 06, 2017, 03:54:29 pm
Lot of talk over in Tenny that IF that's the case that they're really looking forward to welcoming CBP to the Smoky Mountains.

Bobby might have one foot out the door.  It will be real interesting to see how the rest of their season plays out.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

PORKULATOR

Does this mean he can't come back lol
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: factchecker on October 06, 2017, 03:55:31 pm
Bobby might have one foot out the door.  It will be real interesting to see how the rest of their season plays out.
Honestly can't believe that a man of such integrity and honor would possibly bail on UL.

factchecker

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on October 06, 2017, 03:57:24 pm
Honestly can't believe that a man of such integrity and honor would possibly bail on UL.

The bad news is that those who want Brohm (I think he's a great coach) can kiss that dream goodbye when Petrino slithers out of Louisville.  Brohm will be headed to his alma mater.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

jcbville

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on October 06, 2017, 03:54:29 pm

Razorbackers

Quote from: factchecker on October 06, 2017, 03:53:31 pm
Crazy to think that Bielema beat 3 ranked teams on the road in 2015.  Sadly, I think those are his only road wins over ranked opponents here:

@ 22 Tennessee   W 24-20
@ 10 Mississippi   W 53-52
@ 16 LSU   W 31-14

http://www.cfbstats.com/2015/team/31/index.html

That 2015 team underachieved by a win or 2. Should have done even better. But, they did win some super close, crazy games. So I guess it washes out in the end.

NotSoFastMyFriend

colbs

He's never beat a top 15 team on the road ever.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: hawgsalot on October 06, 2017, 11:07:08 am
What agenda, did SC beat NC State or not?  Does Petrino have the reigning Heisman QB and lost or not?  It's fairly simple really.
Youre mistaken, my response wasn't to you. I didn't quote you either. I do agree with what you stated.

Tusks

Finishing rated #5 in the country is such a drag.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

pigture perfect

Bobby did catch lighting in a bottle with the Warren trio and Joe Adams. Much like HDN did with DMac and crew.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

JaketheSnake

Quote from: tusked on October 06, 2017, 10:40:43 pm
Finishing rated #5 in the country is such a drag.
2 SEC teams still ahead of us.  That's the complaint still... we arnt winning in the SEC.  recruiting is improving, but we still arnt in the top tier of the SEC.  Nobody takes away that we finished #5.  That was 6 years ago.

hotdog hog

I'm a Razorback fan that supports the coach that is in play at the time. You guys kill me with the CBP love and CHN hate. Lots to be critical about CBB, but he's the man for two more years. Get used to it. As for CBP, he's given too much praise and CHN entirely too much criticism. Nutt beat the National Champion on the road. CBP doesnt have one win as significant as that. There was talk if we beat Florida in the SEC championship game, we had an outside shot of figuring into the mix for the BCS game. Almost pulled it off. He gave us DMac, Portis, FJones. My favorite Razorback of all time Matt Jones was the most fun cat to ever watch. I think all that happened under Nutt. I was at Tenn the night we gave away the game against the National champion. Nutt didn't make Stoener fumble either CBP worshippers. He had his flaws as all coaches do. But if you were honest, Nutt gave Hog fans something to be excited about before CBP did. Btw, before you rip my arse, I liked CBP too. Just pointing out he didn't invent the wheel.

jcbville

Quote from: JaketheSnake on October 06, 2017, 10:51:56 pm
2 SEC teams still ahead of us.  That's the complaint still... we arnt winning in the SEC.  recruiting is improving, but we still arnt in the top tier of the SEC.  Nobody takes away that we finished #5.  That was 6 years ago.

CBP is not one of the greats period. That mythology was born from 2 flash in the pan seasons at AR. Which I enjoyed. But even before the collapse the cracks were showing. He can't win a game that matters to save his life. He can't beat ranked teams on the road ever.  His teams are still undisciplined. Still doesn't believe in D. And has 1 more 10 win season than CBB at this point. Had CBB stayed at Wisky he'd probably have surpassed him. CBP is a myth.

From Tusk Till Dawn

Always wondered about Louisville, Strong did well there and BP has twice.  That school is about the same size as us and UK.  Would assume the state of Kentucky has similar talent shortages as us, yet they seem to have an edge with talent.  Its clear on the bball court why that is but always wondered about football.

Tusks

Quote from: JaketheSnake on October 06, 2017, 10:51:56 pm

I don't care if there are 4 SEC teams ahead of finishing 5th in the country.  I'd take that every year and twice on Sundays.

You hang around the top 5 enough and you're in the NC conversation, your brand is being absorbed, fans are happy, and if by some chance those in front of you slip up, you have the opportunity to take advantage. 

As a fan if I was offered the hogs finishing #5 10 years in a row, I'd take it with a smile from ear to ear.

Right now deep down, most hog fans know getting to #5 is IMPOSSIBLE with the current regime.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

gchamblee

Quote from: tusked on October 07, 2017, 03:45:59 am
I don't care if there are 4 SEC teams ahead of finishing 5th in the country.  I'd take that every year and twice on Sundays.

You hang around the top 5 enough and you're in the NC conversation, your brand is being absorbed, fans are happy, and if by some chance those in front of you slip up, you have the opportunity to take advantage. 

As a fan if I was offered the hogs finishing #5 10 years in a row, I'd take it with a smile from ear to ear.

Right now deep down, most hog fans know getting to #5 is IMPOSSIBLE with the current regime.

You dont actually care about winning the SEC, you just want the nation to think we are good. I can respect that, although I dont feel the same way.

Hog N Bama

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on October 06, 2017, 03:57:24 pm
He'll leave a nice goodbye note in the locker room

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: gchamblee on October 07, 2017, 03:49:24 am
You dont actually care about winning the SEC, you just want the nation to think we are good. I can respect that, although I dont feel the same way.

Really. All of us including you would be damn happy if we were making it to the top 5 every year.   Not everyone wins the SEC not everyone wins the NC game.  Alabama showed that you don't have to win or even be at the sec championship game to win a national championship. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?