Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

March 28, 2024, 01:10:28 pm

Auburn

Started by -Blu, August 24, 2014, 10:29:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

-Blu

Ok, I guess I'll be the first to say it, anybody else think something fishy is going on in Auburn.  Bruce Pearl has only been there less than 4 months and landed three 4-star recruits in the time period.  Auburn has been historically bad in basketball for a really long time, only time they were really ever relevant was when Barkley was there, now all of the sudden they are just getting 4-star recruits at will?  Larry Brown, a hall of fame NBA coach, couldn't even get talent coming in that quick.  And Pearl did all this without even being able to talk to recruits until last night.

Here's the commitments Pearl has got in his 4 months

Cinmeon Bowers - #1 JUCO 4-star player.  Now he was let out of his commitment with FSU because he got into some trouble, so I could maybe understand other teams cooling on him and they are able to promise him immediate starting spot.

Danjel Purifoy - 4-star shooting guard.  I could actually understand this, he's an Alabama kid.  Maybe they sell him on being able to rebuild the program. 

Horace Spencer -  Now this is the one that got my attention.  Kid from Nevada, top 30ish player, offers from Memphis, Georgetown, Maryland, Iowa, etc.  And he chooses Auburn, and on the same day Bruce Pearl is able to talk to recruits.

HF#1

Sorry but I'm sure nothing about his recruiting is on the up and up. 
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Hawg Red

Just find it hard to believe he'd immediately start cheating once hired, even before his show-cause was up.

Dude's a great recruiter. He has broken some rules in the past and lied, but I don't think he's back to cheating just yet. These kids are old enough to still remember what he had going on at Tennessee. Auburn actually has some nice facilities, too.

popcornhog

I have not been presented with any evidence that he's done anything wrong since arriving at AU.

Good for him. I'm not surprised kids want to play for him. He brought UT back from the dead.

The last AU team that sticks out in my mind was headlined by Chris Porter. He was an All American and I believe SEC POTY. Didn't they win the SEC and go to the Elite 8?

But, yeah, they've not had any stretches of consistent success for awhile.
WPS

-Blu

Quote from: Hawg Red on August 24, 2014, 11:33:25 pm
Just find it hard to believe he'd immediately start cheating once hired, even before his show-cause was up.

Dude's a great recruiter. He has broken some rules in the past and lied, but I don't think he's back to cheating just yet. These kids are old enough to still remember what he had going on at Tennessee. Auburn actually has some nice facilities, too.

Could be right.  I just wanted to know did anyone else think it seemed a bit "unusual".  I mean were talking about Auburn basketball.... not football, not football, but Auburn basketball. /alleniverson voice off

onebadrubi

Quote from: -Blu on August 24, 2014, 11:39:18 pm
Could be right.  I just wanted to know did anyone else think it seemed a bit "unusual".  I mean were talking about Auburn basketball.... not football, not football, but Auburn basketball. /alleniverson voice off

The timing is very odd that they've committed when only supposedly able to contact him for less than 24 hours.  No one can deny that and it definitely raises an eye brow.  He should have told those kids to keep a silent committ for a week or two. 

-Blu

Quote from: onebadrubi on August 24, 2014, 11:42:15 pm
The timing is very odd that they've committed when only supposedly able to contact him for less than 24 hours.  No one can deny that and it definitely raises an eye brow.  He should have told those kids to keep a silent committ for a week or two.

That's what I'm saying, he's not even suppose to be talking or having any kind of interaction with the recruits, but he talks to a top 30 player less than a day and he commits? 

onebadrubi

I believe communication with recruits when he wasn't suppose too is what got him in trouble the first time.  Now he's probably learned to hide it better.  I bet he would lie again if questioned by the NCAA.  Only problem, auburn has a much better administration and compliance office than Tenner, they can protect him.

Hawg Red

His staff has been able to contact recruits, though. I'm sure they're just conveying whatever Bruce wants the recruits to know about how he feels about them.

Many kids commit to schools based mostly on the assistant that led their recruiting.

intelligence

Quote from: onebadrubi on August 24, 2014, 11:53:52 pm
I believe communication with recruits when he wasn't suppose too is what got him in trouble the first time.  Now he's probably learned to hide it better.  I bet he would lie again if questioned by the NCAA.  Only problem, auburn has a much better administration and compliance office than Tenner, they can protect him.
Yep they will teach pearl how to cheat without getting caught.

poloprince

He has used skeptical recruiting practices going back to his days at Wisc-Milwaukee. I'm sure that has not changed. Anybody here ever seen a Zebra change stripes?
$PoLoPrInCe$

RazorAg

Quote from: -Blu on August 24, 2014, 10:29:28 pm
Ok, I guess I'll be the first to say it, anybody else think something fishy is going on in Auburn. 

No

The Hogfather

If anything, the boosters are paying players.  That wouldn't surprise me at all.  He just looks the other way.  Auburn's good at that kind of stuff.

TomBigBeeHog

Pearl has serious character issues shown by his past actions. Has he changed? Maybe.

So.... yes anything he does merits a raised eyebrow.

He should be monitored like a known sex offender. Maybe he changed, but you still wouldn't let your child stay over for a sleepover.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

RazorPiggie

Auburn will no longer be a push over as long as Bruce Pearl is there.

That, ladies and gentlemen, is what happens when you hire a great recruiter. They tend to land top talent.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: RazorPiggie on August 25, 2014, 07:46:57 am
That, ladies and gentlemen, is what happens when you hire a great recruiter. They tend to land top talent.

I agree. Money is the best recruiter in the world.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

-Blu

Quote from: HyperDrive on August 25, 2014, 07:31:08 am

LOL, nobody is mad about Auburn basketball, I hope they are good, that helps our RPI, because usually they hurt it.

I'm just skeptical when a guy that has had multiple recruiting "issues" is out of the game for multiple years, comes back and lands three 4 star recruits in 4 months, at a program that is historically horrible, they probably have the worst basketball history/tradition in the SEC.  I would say the same thing about any other school, even Arkansas, I just call it like I see it.

The_Iceman

Pearl is a good coach. He had to cheat to get where he is tho. His charisma helped him during his time off build popularity with recruits by being on ESPN.

I doubt he even needs to cheat now.

Hawg Red

Quote from: -Blu on August 25, 2014, 08:34:54 am
LOL, nobody is mad about Auburn basketball, I hope they are good, that helps our RPI, because usually they hurt it.

I'm just skeptical when a guy that has had multiple recruiting "issues" is out of the game for multiple years, comes back and lands three 4 star recruits in 4 months, at a program that is historically horrible, they probably have the worst basketball history/tradition in the SEC.  I would say the same thing about any other school, even Arkansas, I just call it like I see it.

The thing is, he likely never lost any credibility with recruits and their coaches, though. Rules violations aside, he is/was still a great recruiter. He's an engaging guy. And Auburn coming back around in football actually does help things if there is a serious basketball coach in place that wants to be a power player in college basketball. Auburn has the money and facilities. They've just never really had a coach like Pearl in basketball. Could he be cheating? Sure. Like you said, you kind of always have to suspicious of Pearl. But I, personally, don't think he's started cheating again. Not this soon. But you never know.

Swinesong1

Just got the top 2015 juco too.

-Blu

Quote from: Hawg Red on August 25, 2014, 09:08:20 am
The thing is, he likely never lost any credibility with recruits and their coaches, though. Rules violations aside, he is/was still a great recruiter. He's an engaging guy. And Auburn coming back around in football actually does help things if there is a serious basketball coach in place that wants to be a power player in college basketball. Auburn has the money and facilities. They've just never really had a coach like Pearl in basketball. Could he be cheating? Sure. Like you said, you kind of always have to suspicious of Pearl. But I, personally, don't think he's started cheating again. Not this soon. But you never know.

I agree with your points, he's a charismatic dude and a good coach/recruiter, I figured they would start reeling in some good recruits, but I thought it would be a process, especially with his recruiting restrictions, I mean you have to admit, even though his assistants can still talk and recruit, that's a major handicap not having your head coach able to speak with the recruits, the head coach is usually the guy that seals the deal. 

But, what's done in the dark shall come to light, so if it's something going on we'll find out sooner or later.  I personally hope Auburn is on a major rise, between Pearl and Coach Cal, that's a lot of attention coming to the SEC, if the perception changes we could be back to getting 5-6 teams in the tourney every year, and you know we'll be in those top teams, so it's a plus for us.

-Blu

The_Iceman

Pearl going to Auburn was not good for Arkansas. He will make them a legitimate program.

-Blu

Quote from: The_Iceman on August 25, 2014, 09:28:18 am
Pearl going to Auburn was not good for Arkansas. He will make them a legitimate program.

I disagree, we need better programs in the SEC.  You'd rather have a stacked conference than a conference with only 2 or 3 good teams.  Because even if you have "mediocre" record if you get a couple big wins and avoid bad losses, you'll get in the tourney if your conference has that "powerhouse" perception, even if you aren't that good... see the A10.

Hawg Red

Quote from: The_Iceman on August 25, 2014, 09:28:18 am

Disagree.

Sure, it takes away that 1-2 reliable conference win(s) each year, but it raises the profile of the conference. That's what's really important at this point. The SEC really needs to have programs other than Kentucky and Florida to be consistently good. It looks like we're headed in that direction, so if programs like Auburn, LSU, Georgia, Missouri and Tennessee can get there, too.....it will be great for the SEC, and that's good for Arkansas.

Hell, if Frank Martin can somehow get something going on SC and Andy Kennedy can reload at Ole Miss, and Kevin Stallings gets that mess cleaned up at Vandy -- we could eventually be looking at an old Big East situation were we have 7-9 teams (maybe more?) legitimately contending for tournament births. The SEC Network and all the attention from football is going to carry over into basketball. Mike Slive wants SEC basketball to be relevant again.

porkinsons disease

^^^^this
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

RazorPiggie

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on August 25, 2014, 08:06:20 am
I agree. Money is the best recruiter in the world.

LOL or hiring a good coach/recruiter that has been on ESPN for a couple of seasons getting his name out there. See Steve Lavin @ St. Johns.

40MINSOFHELL

Auburn basketball LOL

Hawg Red

Quote from: 40MINSOFHELL on August 25, 2014, 11:02:16 am
Auburn basketball LOL

Not going to be laughing too much longer.

-Blu

Quote from: Hawg Red on August 25, 2014, 09:38:53 am
Disagree.

Sure, it takes away that 1-2 reliable conference win(s) each year, but it raises the profile of the conference. That's what's really important at this point. The SEC really needs to have programs other than Kentucky and Florida to be consistently good. It looks like we're headed in that direction, so if programs like Auburn, LSU, Georgia, Missouri and Tennessee can get there, too.....it will be great for the SEC, and that's good for Arkansas.

Hell, if Frank Martin can somehow get something going on SC and Andy Kennedy can reload at Ole Miss, and Kevin Stallings gets that mess cleaned up at Vandy -- we could eventually be looking at an old Big East situation were we have 7-9 teams (maybe more?) legitimately contending for tournament births. The SEC Network and all the attention from football is going to carry over into basketball. Mike Slive wants SEC basketball to be relevant again.

Well said...

HawgnCorona

What about the lure of early playing time? There isnt a whole lot of talent on that team, plus they are Barbees' recruits?

That isnt to say Bruce Pearl isnt doing his job but the offer of early PT will get most recruits to take a look. But remember what UT was like under BP and you somewhat image what Awburn will be...
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

Amityvillehogger

Quote from: 40MINSOFHELL on August 25, 2014, 11:02:16 am
Auburn basketball LOL

Like has been stated already, they will be relevant soon. Pearl will turn them around.
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

intelligence

-Blu

Quote from: intelligence on August 25, 2014, 12:44:49 pm
Same thing i said about 1 hour before you...

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=572535.0

My bad, didn't mean to do a duplicate threads, I didn't even think to check in the SEC forum. 

intelligence

Quote from: -Blu on August 25, 2014, 02:01:52 pm
My bad, didn't mean to do a duplicate threads, I didn't even think to check in the SEC forum.

No biggie. I posted it there to avoid the crying over a non-hog topic

MountieDawg

Pearl us a good coach, a good recruiter and a great promotor. He will make the SEC better!
SEC!

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: MountieDawg on August 25, 2014, 08:36:32 pm
Pearl us a good coach, a good recruiter and a great promotor. He will make the SEC better!

even if he has to cheat to do it.

intelligence

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on August 25, 2014, 08:45:04 pm
even if he has to cheat to do it.

What happens at auburn...

Hoggish1

onebadrubi

Quote from: intelligence on August 25, 2014, 09:40:31 pm
What happens at auburn...

Pays dividends like Enron early and what Bernie Madoff has stashed somewhere, to certain employees, I mean players.

hogfan14

Up-tempo style, history of success and a pretty entertaining personality.

I can see why it would be fun to play for him. Wouldn't think he would even need to cheat to get guys interested in him, but you never know.

tusksincolorado

Pearl should not had been allowed to step back on a University basketball court. It's appropriate that he is now associated with Auburn.
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

latrops

Quote from: -Blu on August 24, 2014, 11:39:18 pm

I expected Pearl to recruit well, immediately.  That these kids signed with Auburn doesn't surprise me a bit....though it could have happened a week or two from now to for appearances sake.  While he may have been limited in his recruiting, no doubt his assistants were delivering the message.  He has a winning track record and these kids can come in and play early in an aggressive, up tempo system. 

latrops

Quote from: hogfan14 on August 25, 2014, 10:07:08 pm
Up-tempo style, history of success and a pretty entertaining personality.

I can see why it would be fun to play for him. Wouldn't think he would even need to cheat to get guys interested in him, but you never know.

He didn't really cheat, at least not in any significant way.  He committed a minor violation (no, probably not the only one he ever committed) that had he simply self reported or said "oops, my bad", wouldn't have amounted to much if anything.  His colossal mistake was in lying to the NCAA in trying to cover up the minor violation.  He turned a little thing into something that did cost him his job and nearly cost him his career.  Pearl and Petrino would probably both say now that it is better to fess up and deal than lie and cover up.

Swinesong1

Quote from: latrops on August 26, 2014, 07:03:43 am
He didn't really cheat, at least not in any significant way.  He committed a minor violation (no, probably not the only one he ever committed) that had he simply self reported or said "oops, my bad", wouldn't have amounted to much if anything.  His colossal mistake was in lying to the NCAA in trying to cover up the minor violation.  He turned a little thing into something that did cost him his job and nearly cost him his career.  Pearl and Petrino would probably both say now that it is better to fess up and deal than lie and cover up.
But if he would lie about something as minor as having a kid over to his house and then ask others to lie about it too, imagine what "major" violations he's committed.

intelligence

Quote from: Swinesong1 on August 26, 2014, 07:28:37 am
But if he would lie about something as minor as having a kid over to his house and then ask others to lie about it too, imagine what "major" violations he's committed.
Exactly

onebadrubi

Quote from: latrops on August 26, 2014, 07:03:43 am

I think his communications with recruits was so often and unregulated that it wasn't just minor.  I don't believe it was once or twice, I believe it was 365 days a year.  If memory serves me correct

RazorPiggie

Quote from: tusksincolorado on August 25, 2014, 10:59:01 pm
Pearl should not had been allowed to step back on a University basketball court. It's appropriate that he is now associated with Auburn.

Because he had recruits over for a cookout then lied about it???? You serious Clark?

Swinesong1

Quote from: RazorPiggie on August 26, 2014, 09:00:29 am
Because he had recruits over for a cookout then lied about it???? You serious Clark?
I admittedly didn't follow the TN incident REAL close, but this is what I recall:  He had a recruit(s) over for a cookout.  The NCAA caught wind and even had pics.  They questioned Pearl and he denied it happened even when shown the pic.  He then asked his assistants and the parent(s) to lie in an attempt to cover it up.  Thus the reason some assistants were under the "show cause" penalty also.  As I stated earlier, if he would lie about and try to cover up something this minor, I can only imagine what major violations he's committed.  And I like the guy as a coach.  I feel he let's his players be a little too undsiciplined on and off the court, but I like him.

MountieDawg

Quote from: tusksincolorado on August 25, 2014, 10:59:01 pm

Because he had a recruit at his house for a cookout???
SEC!