Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who will be the SEC's 1,000-yard rushers for 2017?

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, June 20, 2017, 09:04:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

The usual suspects and projections by ESPN. Whaley takes the place of RWIII in this projection and I think that they are right, but is there another combination of two RB's lurking on this team that might add up to an additional 1,000+ yards among Maleek Williams, David Williams or T.J. Hammonds?

2. RB Devwah Whaley, Arkansas: With former starter Rawleigh Williams III having to walk away from the game because of another neck injury, Whaley becomes the Hogs' primary back. He rushed for 602 yards last year, but Whaley has all the talent to be an All-SEC performer this season. Coach Bret Bielema told ESPN last year that Whaley was "the most complete running back I've ever signed."

ESPN is also projecting Cornelius to be a 1,000+ yard receiver for the Hogs this coming season but given how Enos likes to spread the ball around and our opponents tendency to hone-in on our #1 receiver, I'm not sure he will have the chance to get to the 1,000 yard mark. And if Allen is going to throw for over 3,000 yards again, he is obviously going to be throwing to others as well.

http://www.espn.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/129516/who-will-be-the-secs-1000-yard-rushers-for-2017
Go Hogs Go!

BigE_23

Baring injury...there's no way DW doesn't get to 1K.

Having said that, I don't think we have two 1K yard backs right now, but I do think we have the offensive line to produce 2000 yards rushing for the season. I think Whaley will go for around 1300 and then we'll produce another 700+ yards with D. Williams and the freshmen.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: BigE_23 on June 20, 2017, 11:59:12 am
Baring injury...there's no way DW doesn't get to 1K.

Having said that, I don't think we have two 1K yard backs right now, but I do think we have the offensive line to produce 2000 yards rushing for the season. I think Whaley will go for around 1300 and then we'll produce another 700+ yards with D. Williams and the freshmen.

I'm wondering if we might have (among others besides Whaley) a RB that can get 700+ and another that can get 400+ and another that picks up another 300? If Whaley goes for 1300 and we get those other numbers, that would be a pretty good rushing year around 2700 yards. Add in another 3,400 yard year from AA and that puts us over 6,000 total offensive yards for the season. We will probably need 1,000 receiving yards out of our TE group however to get that done.
Go Hogs Go!

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

DW and DW can both be 1,000 yard rushers. Everyone here knows Devwahs potential so I don't have to explain that, however Dave has a high ceiling as well. He was a 4* RB coming out of high school and we almost ended up with him instead of alex Collins. (theres a parallel universe where dave committed to the hogs, is now in the NFL, and everyone is asking questions about this alex Collins guy transferring in from S Carolina). South Carolina fans I've talked to said Dave has the potential to be great but questionable work ethic has held him back. Im sure Bielema will get that fixed rather quickly
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on June 20, 2017, 01:21:48 pm
DW and DW can both be 1,000 yard rushers. Everyone here knows Devwahs potential so I don't have to explain that, however Dave has a high ceiling as well. He was a 4* RB coming out of high school and we almost ended up with him instead of alex Collins. (theres a parallel universe where dave committed to the hogs, is now in the NFL, and everyone is asking questions about this alex Collins guy transferring in from S Carolina). South Carolina fans I've talked to said Dave has the potential to be great but questionable work ethic has held him back. Im sure Bielema will get that fixed rather quickly

One would think that being a former 4 star that David Williams would have a lot of upside potential and he very well may. He hasn't played in a very good offense at S.Carolina, but he also wasn't a chosen starter. From 2013-2016 at S. Carolina he had 6 starts and 29 game appearances. He has experience in the SEC so that is definitely a plus but I wouldn't be surprised to see him have a lesser role than Whaley, meaning he probably isn't going to see anything close to 1,000 yards.

What his presence may do, if he fits well in the program, is to at least keep Chase Hayden Redshirted, which is a good thing for the future. David Williams may wind up with 600 yards or so, which will limit Maleek Williams carries and that may be good given that he is a true freshman. I'd like to see two 1,000 yard rushers this season regardless of who gets the touches.
Go Hogs Go!

jgphillips3

Whaley will run for a minimum 1,200 yards barring injury.  He might run up to 1,600 yards since he's our only complete back and has breakaway speed.  AC got 1577 in 2015 as the only complete back even without breakaway speed.  I think DMAC's 1830 is safe though.  I feel that one of Maleek, Williams (the transfer) or Chase, whichever becomes #2, will add about 600-700 and the third and fourth back plus TJ will add 600-900 combined among them in some way.  On the other hand, if one of those kids breaks out, we may have two 1000 yard guys but that seems unlikely.

Wildhog

Quote from: jgphillips3 on June 23, 2017, 12:56:36 pm
Whaley will run for a minimum 1,200 yards barring injury.  He might run up to 1,600 yards since he's our only complete back and has breakaway speed.  AC got 1577 in 2015 as the only complete back even without breakaway speed.  I think DMAC's 1830 is safe though.  I feel that one of Maleek, Williams (the transfer) or Chase, whichever becomes #2, will add about 600-700 and the third and fourth back plus TJ will add 600-900 combined among them in some way.  On the other hand, if one of those kids breaks out, we may have two 1000 yard guys but that seems unlikely.

I think Maleek is going to surprise some folks.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

LZH

When he got here, I thought he was a little faster than he is. But, he more than makes up for it in meanness.....get 'em son!

All bs aside, I'm glad he's getting some recognition.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: jgphillips3 on June 23, 2017, 12:56:36 pm

I think that given that we already lost an experienced RB for this season, if at all possible, they are going to try to limit Whaley's carries per game to an average of around 19-20 per game. Having D. Williams gives us another experienced RB who depending upon how he performs, may split the other 20 carries a game with Maleek Williams. TJ may get the occasional carry. Having D. Williams here allows us to R/S Chase Hayden, which I think is good and will probably happen, unless of course he rolls into camp and outshines the other RB candidates and shows that we just can't do without him this year.
Go Hogs Go!

PorkSoda

Quote from: Wildhog on June 23, 2017, 01:00:55 pm
I think Maleek is going to surprise some folks.
no doubt.  I think  he will be our #2 behind Whaley at like 6-800 yards.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

PonderinHog

Quote from: PorkSoda on June 23, 2017, 06:05:56 pm
no doubt.  I think  he will be our #2 behind Whaley at like 6-800 yards.
Between 6 and 800 yards, huh?  Way to go out on a limb!

jgphillips3

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 23, 2017, 01:08:02 pm
I think that given that we already lost an experienced RB for this season, if at all possible, they are going to try to limit Whaley's carries per game to an average of around 19-20 per game. Having D. Williams gives us another experienced RB who depending upon how he performs, may split the other 20 carries a game with Maleek Williams. TJ may get the occasional carry. Having D. Williams here allows us to R/S Chase Hayden, which I think is good and will probably happen, unless of course he rolls into camp and outshines the other RB candidates and shows that we just can't do without him this year.

AC averaged 21 carries in 2015 so I agree with you on number of carries.  Can't afford to get Devwah hurt.  21-23 carries max per game on average I would figure.

nchogg

If a RB is hot he is going to get a lot of carries. Whaley will be the starter and we won't know until our first game who will be 2 and 3. I just want to see yards from our running game.

PorkSoda

Quote from: PonderinHog on June 23, 2017, 06:55:29 pm
Between 6 and 800 yards, huh?  Way to go out on a limb!
yeah my 7-9 win prediction is pretty bold as well
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.