Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

One analyst believes RWIII won't impact the running game...

Started by Al Boarland, May 16, 2017, 08:38:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

rhames

I don't think it will either. Way more concerned about the defense.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Al Boarland

Quote from: rhames on May 16, 2017, 08:40:39 am
I don't think it will either. Way more concerned about the defense.

Nothing wrong with that, IMO. I don't expect significant improvement this season.

Hawgndaaz

Running game is completely irrelevant unless defense has a significant improvement.

Polecat

technically, it's guaranteed he won't impact the running game.
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

MuskogeeHogFan

I think that this is definately a year to be on pins and needles about what we are going to see in the Fall. There are a lot of compelling questions to be answered. If I take off my Hog colored glasses and really look at it in an unbiased manner, I can see why so many are predicting little improvement (if any) from the Hogs. But the same thing that makes many of the prognosticators have a negative opinion is the same thing that makes many of us who watch the program more closely to have a more positive opinion, either a lack of, or greater physical proximity to, the program.

How closely have they monitored developments within the program? In all fairness, they don't have the time to closely follow or review developments in any program. That makes it a lot easier to fill time on a broadcast by just saying things like, "Alabama is going to be very good again, LSU is probably going to be better, Ole Miss may have a better offense but can they play defense, A&M will probably be another middle of the pack team, etc, etc. Generic stuff.

Of course it is going to hurt us to not have RWIII on the field if only based on the loss of his experience alone. But Whaley will emerge and after one season with limited carries I think it is difficult for anyone to accurately predict that Whaley cannot achieve to the level that RWIII did as a starter. I love me some RWIII but I am not certain that he was better than Whaley will be as a starter. And, the part of me wearing the Hog colored glasses believes that Maleek Williams is going to be a stud earlier than later based on what the staff and his teammates had to say about his spring. I hate losing RWIII but I believe we are going to be just fine at RB.
Go Hogs Go!

Razorbackers

Honestly, it could be argued that we're in a better position at running back than we were last year coming into the season. RW3 was coming off an terrible injury and had only played in 6 or so games and had 1 touchdown, and Whaley was a true freshman. Basically had zero experience in the backfield.

Now we've got Whaley coming back after a solid true freshman season, and like 4 four star RBs backing him up.

Edit: not saying the los of williams doesn't hurt, but Whaley and whoever else starts to split time back there will have a more experienced offensive line than last year as well. When was the last time Bielema didn't have a 1000 yard back?

hawgon

Depth wise it will hurt, but the truth is that Devwuh has been the better runner, if not the complete back since the day he stepped on campus and needed more carries. 

Steef

Remember when Michael Smith was our only iffensive weapon? He played practicalky every down.

It wore him out. He was never the same.

We have a stellar sophomore. A prospective sophome. A prospective freshman.

Injury and/or fatigue just became a real issue.

Yes, losing Rawleigh hurts. Period.

DeltaBoy

It might and then it might not , We will have to play the games to be sure.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Razorbackers

Quote from: Steef on May 16, 2017, 09:42:43 am
Remember when Michael Smith was our only iffensive weapon? He played practicalky every down.

We have a stellar sophomore. A prospective sophome. A prospective freshman.

Sounds like Maleek will be getting some carries as well. In his time at Arkansas, Bret has played and leaned on a True Freshman RB 3 times with success. I don't think DW will get 80% of the carries this season, I bet his load is lightened enough to keep him healthy by the depth chart.

Could be wrong tho.

code red

No doubt losing RWIII is extremely significant.  Allen is going to see mucho pressure this year.  Our offensive and defensive line will determine our fate next year.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

East TN HAWG

Nothing positive about losing RWII.  It hurts.  At least, it occurred in spring and staff can now plan for it.  I think it opened the door for Hammonds.  I believe they will make a 3rd down package for him because of his talents.  I really believe that was part of the plan anyway.

Its hard for a Fr to come in and learn to pick up the blitz.  Whaley struggled with it last year.  Hopefully, Williams learned the offense and can fine tune his game (blitz pick up) this fall.  Spring may have given him an advantage that Whaley did not have. 

1highhog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 16, 2017, 09:07:03 am
I think that this is definately a year to be on pins and needles about what we are going to see in the Fall. There are a lot of compelling questions to be answered. If I take off my Hog colored glasses and really look at it in an unbiased manner, I can see why so many are predicting little improvement (if any) from the Hogs. But the same thing that makes many of the prognosticators have a negative opinion is the same thing that makes many of us who watch the program more closely to have a more positive opinion, either a lack of, or greater physical proximity to, the program.

How closely have they monitored developments within the program? In all fairness, they don't have the time to closely follow or review developments in any program. That makes it a lot easier to fill time on a broadcast by just saying things like, "Alabama is going to be very good again, LSU is probably going to be better, Ole Miss may have a better offense but can they play defense, A&M will probably be another middle of the pack team, etc, etc. Generic stuff.

Of course it is going to hurt us to not have RWIII on the field if only based on the loss of his experience alone. But Whaley will emerge and after one season with limited carries I think it is difficult for anyone to accurately predict that Whaley cannot achieve to the level that RWIII did as a starter. I love me some RWIII but I am not certain that he was better than Whaley will be as a starter. And, the part of me wearing the Hog colored glasses believes that Maleek Williams is going to be a stud earlier than later based on what the staff and his teammates had to say about his spring. I hate losing RWIII but I believe we are going to be just fine at RB.

I look at it this way, not having RW111 will indeed hurt some, I mean, he led the SEC in rushing last year and was a tremendous blocker in the passing game for Austin, better than the OLine was as a unit anyway, don't get me started.  But, after that, it ends there.  Whaley will pick up the slack this year I believe for sure.  If they put Hammonds in as the 2nd option at RB, I'd like it better, but the Coaches may stick with having him help out as a part time receiver, just don't know yet, but I think with RW111 going down, we need Hammonds back at RB, what do y'all think?  Our receivers will be somewhat unknown to the SEC, so I think this works to our advantage this year, they won't know all the tendencies they have, I give the advantage to us, even going against a more experienced defense.  This receivers core has a chance to be very good and surprise people.  Our defense AGAIN scares me to death.  Will it be worse than last year?  How could it be, it can.  But I'm holding out hope that they're going to be better.  The defensive guys seemed to really react to this new scheme, loved being unshackled, reminded of a dog that's been chained and then suddenly let go and then watching it run all over the place.  Now they actually get to go after people, get after the QB, so I hope this gives them new energy.  Hey, whatever it takes.

Hawgar The Horrible

If the youngsters can take care of the rock we'll be fine. CBB has stated the plan was to run more this season even prior to RWIII's departure. It all depends on the o-line.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

Stephen Greene

losing one of our best running backs in years "will not impact our running game"

got it

Steef

Quote from: Stephen Greene on May 16, 2017, 11:21:56 am
losing one of our best running backs in years "will not impact our running game"

got it

Yup. Can't make this stuff up.

rhames

got it

Williams was good and my heart sinks for the way he ended his career.

I wouldn't call him one of the best running backs in years. That's a crowded argument.

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: hawgon on May 16, 2017, 09:36:57 am
Depth wise it will hurt, but the truth is that Devwuh has been the better runner, if not the complete back since the day he stepped on campus and needed more carries.
+1
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

010HogFan

got it

I like RWIII but let's not get carried away

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

We will be better at moving the ball ( I always felt that Devwah was the better runner) but we will miss Rawleighs blocking ability. Austin will probably take 3 or 4 extra sacks this season that he wouldn't have if rawleigh was blocking for him
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: rhames on May 16, 2017, 11:26:07 am

Williams was good and my heart sinks for the way he ended his career.

I wouldn't call him one of the best running backs in years. That's a crowded argument.
agreed. He might have ended up being better than almost any of them, it's just hard to really know. I do feel that Whaley has a higher ceiling than anybody here since DDawg.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

phadedhawg

I have zero expectations.  If 3rd down defense doesn't improve, if we can't get pressure on their QB, the running game won't matter much. 

rhames

Quote from: phadedhawg on May 16, 2017, 12:37:52 pm
I have zero expectations.  If 3rd down defense doesn't improve, if we can't get pressure on their QB, the running game won't matter much. 

Bingo.

mike7156

CBB has always made it clear, to play you must pass block. AC as a junior was a great pass blocking RB. RWIII was a very good pass blocking RB, but could have been better. For now on passing plays, you insert the back that will make the blocks. Even if it is a fullback or TE. Running the ball, there should not be a let down. just between the known factors of DW, TJH, MW, and JD, barring injury, this is a solid backfield for almost any team. Add in true freshman Chase Hayden and the Fullbacks, They will get the job done.
True Heroes wear the uniform that serves this country proudly.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: 1highhog on May 16, 2017, 10:59:56 am
I look at it this way, not having RW111 will indeed hurt some, I mean, he led the SEC in rushing last year and was a tremendous blocker in the passing game for Austin, better than the OLine was as a unit anyway, don't get me started.  But, after that, it ends there.  Whaley will pick up the slack this year I believe for sure.  If they put Hammonds in as the 2nd option at RB, I'd like it better, but the Coaches may stick with having him help out as a part time receiver, just don't know yet, but I think with RW111 going down, we need Hammonds back at RB, what do y'all think?  Our receivers will be somewhat unknown to the SEC, so I think this works to our advantage this year, they won't know all the tendencies they have, I give the advantage to us, even going against a more experienced defense.  This receivers core has a chance to be very good and surprise people.  Our defense AGAIN scares me to death.  Will it be worse than last year?  How could it be, it can.  But I'm holding out hope that they're going to be better.  The defensive guys seemed to really react to this new scheme, loved being unshackled, reminded of a dog that's been chained and then suddenly let go and then watching it run all over the place.  Now they actually get to go after people, get after the QB, so I hope this gives them new energy.  Hey, whatever it takes.

Bielema and staff moved Hammonds out to WR for the 1st half of spring and to RB for the last half. They plan to utilize him this year in both spots.
Go Hogs Go!

razorsharptusk

I think this guy is dead on.  No one expects much because we have not done anything at all in Beilema's tenure. We had many more skilled players last year on offense than this year. Our defense was terrible and slow as a 3-4 and now we scramble all that up and try a 4-3. Its new learning and that takes time. 

I don't expect much difference this year.  I will be pulling for my hogs though.  I just hope we are competitive.  Our bye week helps us none.  If Allen doesnt get better protection, we may have a new QB.  That has to get better.  We do not have the sure handed recievers we had last year to throw to. I guess we will see. I hope I am wrong. I'd love to be wrong.
GO HOGS!!

factchecker

Quote from: razorsharptusk on May 16, 2017, 06:42:50 pm
Our defense was terrible and slow as a 3-4 and now we scramble all that up and try a 4-3. Its new learning and that takes time.

Flip flop that.

We were running a 4-3 and NOW we are running a 3-4.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Polecat on May 16, 2017, 09:03:51 am
technically, it's guaranteed he won't impact the running game.
I c what you did there.

I think we are pretty deep at RB but more injuries could impact.

bphi11ips

I'm usually right there with you justifying why I think we'll get to 10 wins.  And every year I feel pretty good about now. But this one I just can't get there, and that was before RWII.  It's a shame to have a 5th year senior QB like AA and question marks everyhwere else, even the OLine (minus Ragnow). 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bphi11ips on May 16, 2017, 09:14:31 pm
I'm usually right there with you justifying why I think we'll get to 10 wins.  And every year I feel pretty good about now. But this one I just can't get there, and that was before RWII.  It's a shame to have a 5th year senior QB like AA and question marks everyhwere else, even the OLine (minus Ragnow). 

That's exactly what I am concerned about as well.

Is the O-Line going to be far better than last year?

Will Austin Allen transition to better judgement and play in his last season like Brandon did?

I think Whaley will do very well, but who else is going to step up? Hammonds, Maleek Williams, Juan Day, Chase Hayden?

We need two TE's to play at high levels and be very successful, who is finally going to emerge?

Are the new receivers going to be better or worse than last years crew?

Is the defense going to improve and how efficiently will we transition to the 3-4?

Lots of questions to be answered.
Go Hogs Go!

ricepig

No doubt it will impact our running game. You don't remove a 1400yd returning starter and not feel something. Is it possible someone steps up and fills the void, sure. Whaley could get those 1400yds, and Maleek get his 600, but then your back to one experienced RB.

bphi11ips

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 17, 2017, 07:03:52 am

Is the O-Line going to be far better than last year?

In our perfect world, we'd have a line full of 4 star RS JRs like Brian Wallace stepping up for their turn.  But in Brian Wallace's perfect world, he would have been drafted a few weeks ago.  Will he and other big-time recruits like Jalen Merrick take over?  The talent would appear to be there, and we have a great leader in the best center in the country.

The biggest question mark on the line is Froholdt.  As you know, the line is a unit.  It will only be as good as its weakest link.  Froholdt may be a beast of a physical specimen, but at times last year he was a swinging gate at left guard.  Dickson Street is full of giant bouncers, but you can't pull them out of the club and plug them into the O-line.  It takes years to develop the instincts and knowledge and footwork and vision to understand complex blocking schemes and read SEC defenses.  Froholdt is simply at a disadvantage there, and it's not his fault.  If he continues to be the weak link, will Bielema ever pull the plug on the experiment? 

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Steef on May 16, 2017, 09:42:43 am
Remember when Michael Smith was our only offensive weapon? He played practically every down.

We have a stellar sophomore. A prospective sophomore. A prospective freshman.

3 things...

1) Michael Smith was 5' nothin', a hundred and nothin'. (Southern twang implied)

2.) There are literally 3 other highly touted RBs behind Whaley.

3.) Smith was thrown into a primarily One Back offense in which he was not physically recruited to play. CBP liked bigger backs, but Smith was determined to get onto the field and he left every single bit of himself on that field. What the dude did for us was phenomenal and took its toll, but what he was asked to do and what Whaley is being asked to do are definitely not the same situation...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bphi11ips on May 17, 2017, 07:58:42 am
In our perfect world, we'd have a line full of 4 star RS JRs like Brian Wallace stepping up for their turn.  But in Brian Wallace's perfect world, he would have been drafted a few weeks ago.  Will he and other big-time recruits like Jalen Merrick take over?  The talent would appear to be there, and we have a great leader in the best center in the country.

The biggest question mark on the line is Froholdt.  As you know, the line is a unit.  It will only be as good as its weakest link.  Froholdt may be a beast of a physical specimen, but at times last year he was a swinging gate at left guard.  Dickson Street is full of giant bouncers, but you can't pull them out of the club and plug them into the O-line.  It takes years to develop the instincts and knowledge and footwork and vision to understand complex blocking schemes and read SEC defenses.  Froholdt is simply at a disadvantage there, and it's not his fault.  If he continues to be the weak link, will Bielema ever pull the plug on the experiment? 

I think you will see a vastly improved Froholdt this season. My concern is their level of play as an entire unit.

And, will we have a LT (and a back-up) that is quick enough with his feet and his spatial awareness (as it relates to an outside rusher) to make second to second adjustments so as to maintain his angle and leverage in pass blocking? Skipper was good at this, just not great.

Are the OG's going to have their heads on a swivel in pass pro so that they don't get caught looking or committing one way, when someone is coming from the other way on a delayed blitz/stunt?

And finally, when we need a yard or two for a 1st down or we get down in the RZ and especially within the opponents 10 yard line, will the O-Line reach down and find the physical and mental toughness to roadgrade the D-Line and LB's to get the 3rd down conversion or a TD? And will the RB's run to the right hole/crease if the O-Line does their jobs?

These are my concerns and of course, we aren't going to know for certain until we tee it up.
Go Hogs Go!

bphi11ips

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 17, 2017, 08:14:38 am

I think you will see a vastly improved Froholdt this season.

Do you have any reason besides hope?  Did you see the whiff in the Spring scrimmage where he was obviously frustrated on the sideline?  He can have three pancakes, but one whiff can kill a drive and get AA hammered. 

You're right about playing as a unit, and that leads me back to the weak link.  We can't have one against SEC defenses. 

hawgon

So seriously was it this year or next that everyone was pointing to, or last for that matter.  To me, being completely honest, it looks like 2014 was our best chance to have a monster year and we blew it.

Here is the thing about Arkansas and it is why Nutt failed and why Bielema is failing so far.  You have to be good enough to take advantage of your opportunities.  Arkansas will not be loaded with blue chips year after year, so when you get that chance for nine or ten, you have to get it because the talent will not be there next year.

I feel like we have left at least two wins out on the field every single year Bielema has been here.  Win just half of those and this is an entirely different situation and discussion.

This year has the feel of a six or seven win year.  If we leave a few out there this year, then it will be really ugly. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bphi11ips on May 17, 2017, 08:25:14 am
Do you have any reason besides hope?  Did you see the whiff in the Spring scrimmage where he was obviously frustrated on the sideline?  He can have three pancakes, but one whiff can kill a drive and get AA hammered. 

You're right about playing as a unit, and that leads me back to the weak link.  We can't have one against SEC defenses. 

Every player, even Ragnow, is going to have a "whiff" every once in a while. Reports inside camp are that Froholdt is greatly improved. Again, we won't know for sure until we tee it up. Just have to trust the staff that he can get it done until we see more with our own eyes.
Go Hogs Go!

bphi11ips

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 17, 2017, 08:38:14 am
Every player, even Ragnow, is going to have a "whiff" every once in a while. Reports inside camp are that Froholdt is greatly improved. Again, we won't know for sure until we tee it up. Just have to trust the staff that he can get it done until we see more with our own eyes.

Sure.  Everyone is going to miss an assignment or get beat at times.  But you know what I mean.  Reports from camp last year were that Froholdt was learning quickly.  But you know better than most posters here how complicated O-line play is at the SEC level, and most players arrive with skills developed over ten years or so.  They grew up with football on the brain.  We'll see, but Froholdt is the biggest question mark on the line for me, and that has nothing to do with size, athleticism or work ethic.  If he has to think between the snap and the whistle, he's going to get beat a lot.   

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 17, 2017, 08:38:14 am

I don't know about you, but I don't trust reports "inside" camp whatsoever after last season re: defensive line.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: hawgon on May 17, 2017, 08:25:39 am
So seriously was it this year or next that everyone was pointing to, or last for that matter.  To me, being completely honest, it looks like 2014 was our best chance to have a monster year and we blew it.

Here is the thing about Arkansas and it is why Nutt failed and why Bielema is failing so far.  You have to be good enough to take advantage of your opportunities.  Arkansas will not be loaded with blue chips year after year, so when you get that chance for nine or ten, you have to get it because the talent will not be there next year.

I feel like we have left at least two wins out on the field every single year Bielema has been here.  Win just half of those and this is an entirely different situation and discussion.

This year has the feel of a six or seven win year.  If we leave a few out there this year, then it will be really ugly.
I agree with this 100%. Special teams has also been a big part of many of those missed chances, and I don't see any signs of our staff trying to improve that

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bphi11ips on May 17, 2017, 08:49:45 am
Sure.  Everyone is going to miss an assignment or get beat at times.  But you know what I mean.  Reports from camp last year were that Froholdt was learning quickly.  But you know better than most posters here how complicated O-line play is at the SEC level, and most players arrive with skills developed over ten years or so.  They grew up with football on the brain.  We'll see, but Froholdt is the biggest question mark on the line for me, and that has nothing to do with size, athleticism or work ethic.  If he has to think between the snap and the whistle, he's going to get beat a lot.   

He is an intelligent kid and with a season under his belt I am pretty sure that he knows the scheme, the calls and his assignments now. And the OL is certainly a place where you have to be thinking all of the time especially when play calls and blocking assignments are changed at the LOS.

And yes, there is the footwork aspect of it all that you have to learn where either leading or dropping with the wrong first step can throw off timing and/or put you out of position to execute your assignment. But he has now had time to learn these things. Not the amount of time like a guy who has been playing his position all of his life, but you might be surprised at how little of this "technique thing" is even coached on a repetitive basis at a lot of HS's. Limiting practice hours has really hurt the skill development of a lot of players. And with the greater emphasis on player safety, utilizing proper skills helps you play safer as a player, so you would think there would also be greater emphasis on coaching proper skills. But I digress.

Froholdt has been handed a bigger task than many in having to learn an entirely new position. He obviously has the physical skill set. Word is that he is improved over last year. That's good news considering that he got better as the season progressed last year. Not perfect, but better. So we will see.

I know you are focused on Froholdt, I'm more concerned about LT and RT.
Go Hogs Go!

hawgon

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on May 17, 2017, 09:01:34 am
I agree with this 100%. Special teams has also been a big part of many of those missed chances, and I don't see any signs of our staff trying to improve that

At Arkansas every detail must be covered.  And it is no coincidence that the two most successful coaches at Arkansas over the last 40 years, Holtz and Petrino, were sticklers for detail and jerks to boot.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on May 17, 2017, 08:57:17 am
I don't know about you, but I don't trust reports "inside" camp whatsoever after last season re: defensive line.

I trust the reports that I get and they don't come from the staff in pressers.
Go Hogs Go!

Biggus Piggus

I feel Arkansas has left at least two wins on the field, almost every season since I became a Razorback fan. Big whoop.
[CENSORED]!

Dominicanhog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 17, 2017, 09:08:47 am
He is an intelligent kid and with a season under his belt I am pretty sure that he knows the scheme, the calls and his assignments now. And the OL is certainly a place where you have to be thinking all of the time especially when play calls and blocking assignments are changed at the LOS.

And yes, there is the footwork aspect of it all that you have to learn where either leading or dropping with the wrong first step can throw off timing and/or put you out of position to execute your assignment. But he has now had time to learn these things. Not the amount of time like a guy who has been playing his position all of his life, but you might be surprised at how little of this "technique thing" is even coached on a repetitive basis at a lot of HS's. Limiting practice hours has really hurt the skill development of a lot of players. And with the greater emphasis on player safety, utilizing proper skills helps you play safer as a player, so you would think there would also be greater emphasis on coaching proper skills. But I digress.

Froholdt has been handed a bigger task than many in having to learn an entirely new position. He obviously has the physical skill set. Word is that he is improved over last year. That's good news considering that he got better as the season progressed last year. Not perfect, but better. So we will see.

I know you are focused on Froholdt, I'm more concerned about LT and RT.

I thought Wallace did OK at RT and should improve as well with last year under his belt.. I agree very much so about LT...

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Dominicanhog on May 17, 2017, 09:24:52 am
I thought Wallace did OK at RT and should improve as well with last year under his belt.. I agree very much so about LT...
I think most of us if not all will agree on LT

ricepig

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on May 17, 2017, 09:13:18 am
I feel Arkansas has left at least two wins on the field, almost every season since I became a Razorback fan. Big whoop.

No doubt, that's pretty easily explained.

Exit Pursued by a Boar

I know nothing that folks here don't know, less probably, but I honestly believe Whaley, Williams, Hayden, Day, and even Hammonds will do enough running the ball. What I'm worried about is how they block on passing plays.  We don't want to bring in pass blocking specialists at RB as that will give plays away and affect both running and passing.

If Whaley wants to be the stud, he needs to improve his blocking. If Williams or Hayden want to be the solid #2, blocking will be what sets one apart from the other.  I have no doubt either one can run fast and juke well. Hammonds is a little bit of a different case. I suspect that even at RB, he'll be more of a pass catcher than a pass blocker, but we'll see.

Zirc

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: exit followed by a boar on May 17, 2017, 12:18:24 pm
I know nothing that folks here don't know, less probably, but I honestly believe Whaley, Williams, Hayden, Day, and even Hammonds will do enough running the ball. What I'm worried about is how they block on passing plays.  We don't want to bring in pass blocking specialists at RB as that will give plays away and affect both running and passing.

If Whaley wants to be the stud, he needs to improve his blocking. If Williams or Hayden want to be the solid #2, blocking will be what sets one apart from the other.  I have no doubt either one can run fast and juke well. Hammonds is a little bit of a different case. I suspect that even at RB, he'll be more of a pass catcher than a pass blocker, but we'll see.

Zirc

Word out of the spring is that Whaley has greatly improved his blocking. That's part of what limited his playing time last fall. As for Maleek Williams, the staff and his team mates were not only impressed with his grasp of the offense this spring, but his execution in blocking, his vision of the hole, his burst of speed and hard running. I think it was Enos who said he grasped all of that better than any RB he has had at Arkansas. I guess we will see how true that is come the fall. But it sounds good.
Go Hogs Go!