Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

LSU uses its influence to boot Arkansas, A&M, others from football camps

Started by Hogwild, May 22, 2017, 03:49:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogwild

This story was originally published late last week in SI, it was picked up the Louisiana papers this weekend.

QuoteThe Louisiana schools are dancing around their reasons for kicking the out-of-state schools out of their camps. But they appeared to succumb to pressure from LSU, which has financial and political power in its state that few schools in the country can match. As one college official noted: "LSU's influence is undeniable."

QuoteOne by one, they were asked to leave the state of Louisiana before they even arrived. Football coaches from Texas, Texas A&M, Arkansas and Houston all planned to work satellite camps at Southeastern Louisiana University this summer. They were all unceremoniously disinvited last week. Tulane had announced it would work a camp with the Michigan staff. Disinvited, too.
QuoteBut the losers in this whole affair are prospects in Louisiana, especially those who can't afford to traverse the country to attend camps. Some of them may have earned scholarships to Texas, Michigan, Arkansas or Houston.

"Protecting the state of Louisiana is always going to be my job as the coach of LSU," Orgeron was quoted as saying.

Hawghiggs

LSU is just trying to keep the wolves out of the hen house. If we want to recruit Louisiana better. Then we should hire a recruiter from the area. Like how Kansas did.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Hawghiggs on May 22, 2017, 03:59:57 pm
LSU is just trying to keep the wolves out of the hen house. If we want to recruit Louisiana better. Then we should hire a recruiter from the area. Like how Kansas did.

Um....I see you've never heard about Michael Smith. He's a friggin stud LA recruiter.

Hogwild

We have Michael Smith recruiting Louisiana done a solid job, but just like Kansas we are rarely going to get someone who has an offer from LSU. 
What Kansas did was pretty smart, targeted the top 8 players in Louisiana without offers from LSU.  The Jayhawks got half dozen them to commit early, if they are able to keep those commitments it will be a hell of class for them.

PorkSoda

"But the losers in this whole affair are prospects in Louisiana, especially those who can't afford to traverse the country to attend camps. Some of them may have earned scholarships to Texas, Michigan, Arkansas or Houston."

yeah, its too bad, because LA produces more than enough prospects.  LSU can't / won't sign them all, and its unlikely that an born and bred LSU recruit is going to turn down an offer from LSU. 

these camps help the schools that host them and the athletes that attend, and the towns economically. 

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

LZH

I have a feeling that this has a chance to backfire on LSU. I don't really have a reasonable idea of exactly how that would happen, but if you think of the kids from Louisiana that LSU does not sign each year that are D1 prospects, word could get around in a hurry that they have been hung out to dry.

gchamblee

Quote from: LZH on May 22, 2017, 04:53:39 pm
I have a feeling that this has a chance to backfire on LSU. I don't really have a reasonable idea of exactly how that would happen, but if you think of the kids from Louisiana that LSU does not sign each year that are D1 prospects, word could get around in a hurry that they have been hung out to dry.

onebadrubi

Do tell us how many they have signed please

RazorRed26

Isn't there a high school in N.O. that does not want any LSU staff there?  Maybe we could setup shop there?  Not 100% sure the school is in N.O.  but there is a school.

ricepig

Quote from: RazorRed26 on May 22, 2017, 06:19:35 pm
Isn't there a high school in N.O. that does not want any LSU staff there?  Maybe we could setup shop there?  Not 100% sure the school is in N.O.  but there is a school.

They kissed and made up, and the camps have to be hosted on college campuses, now.

Mike_e

Quote from: LZH on May 22, 2017, 04:53:39 pm

HS coaches don't just care about the few kids that go to LSU.  If LSU harms those other kids by not allowing them opportunity to get a 'good' scholarship they may just "steer" their kids somewhere else.  The HS coaches in New Orleans, or at least some, have already done so.

If I'm recruiting down there then I would sure be bringing up the concern of those teachers -and they are teachers- for all their students and lsu robbing them of a chance to help their charges further.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

hogsfan31

LSU has more than likely already offered everyone in state that they are going to offer. They may have a couple from camp that could get an offer that doesn't already have one and there may be a couple from late in season that could possibly get them, but the real people hurt in this are the players that are good enough to play D1 ball that don't get LSU offers. It's a real shame to take an education and a dream away from a lot of young men over pettiness, but I understand it's the nature of the beast too. I think that if the roles were reversed and out in state talent was as rich as Louisiana's we would prob be blocking some schools from coming in too.

STLhawg

We need to write a satellite camp the following summer into the contract with any Louisana school we pay to play us (with sky high fines if they back out on the agreement).  Or better yet require the camp first!

Pork Twain

Pretty sure we have one of the best...  How many of our coaches do you think we should dedicate to LA?
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

hogsanity

Quote from: STLhawg on May 22, 2017, 07:44:35 pm
We need to write a satellite camp the following summer into the contract with any Louisana school we pay to play us (with sky high fines if they back out on the agreement).  Or better yet require the camp first!

And they will just decline the game if they receive state funds. Remember this is a state that mandated LSU play the instate schools X # of times every few seasons. They are not going to allow state schools to sign game contracts that require them to host camps with coaches from out of state.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

jackflash

HogShat

Steef

This hurts every La kid that doesnt get an LSU scholly.

I hope the La coaches and parents figure that out.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: Pork Twain on May 23, 2017, 07:42:42 am
Pretty sure we have one of the best...  How many of our coaches do you think we should dedicate to LA?

I not saying he is not doing a good job. What I'm saying is simply the more connections that we have in that state. The better off we will be. And to answer your question. At least two.

Hawgar The Horrible

I would be on the phone with Lamar and Southern Miss trying to set future dates up. Flank the bastards in Baton Rouge.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 22, 2017, 04:00:58 pm
Um....I see you've never heard about Michael Smith. He's a friggin stud LA recruiter.

I'm not saying he isn't doing his job. But calling him a stud recruiter is a little over the top. He has gotten exactly one 4 star recruit from the state of Louisiana.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: Hawghiggs on May 23, 2017, 03:54:01 pm
I'm not saying he isn't doing his job. But calling him a stud recruiter is a little over the top. He has gotten exactly one 4 star recruit from the state of Louisiana.

Stop. It became evident you don't know what the hell you're talking about yesterday.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Hogwild on May 22, 2017, 04:10:10 pm
We have Michael Smith recruiting Louisiana done a solid job, but just like Kansas we are rarely going to get someone who has an offer from LSU. 
What Kansas did was pretty smart, targeted the top 8 players in Louisiana without offers from LSU.  The Jayhawks got half dozen them to commit early, if they are able to keep those commitments it will be a hell of class for them.
Then again I'll remind you for the hundredth time that it's a long way until NSD; whether or not they hold on to the four (or any of them at all) remains to be seen. If I recall correctly about the same number that originally committed have already told KU "bye".

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on May 23, 2017, 03:47:40 pm
I would be on the phone with Lamar and Southern Miss trying to set future dates up. Flank the bastards in Baton Rouge.

That would require a smidgen of work ethic, which our HC currently has little of.  Guaranteed contracts have a funny way of dampening the burn of desire.  The fat guy is lazy as all get out when it comes to outworking other SEC schools.  It's why we rarely beat them for recruits and settle for stealing Colorado St. and Northwestern's.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on May 23, 2017, 04:44:55 pm
That would require a smidgen of work ethic, which our HC currently has little of.  Guaranteed contracts have a funny way of dampening the burn of desire.  The fat guy is lazy as all get out when it comes to outworking other SEC schools.  It's why we rarely beat them for recruits and settle for stealing Colorado St. and Northwestern's.

Keep up. Nutt left years ago.

MuskogeeHogFan

You have absolutely no idea how hard Bielema or any of the staff works...none of us do. I'd save the un-informed and personal insults until you are ready to deliver them to his face and allow him to respond.
Go Hogs Go!

870hogfan

Just plain stupid and a dumb comment which you no anything about....

hog of steele

That would require a smidgen of work ethic,

Got it setting up camps is tough work.

which our HC currently has little of.

wait, what? What about the 7 camps we set up for the summer? Did those require work ethic?

Darren DeLoach

ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

Birminghog

Quote from: factchecker on May 22, 2017, 06:31:53 pm
Here are the camps that we are slated to participate in so far:

https://twitter.com/OuachitaTigerFB/status/866691258336542721

Ouachita is inviting Henderson to be a part of the camp there? Now that's true academic/athletic ecumenism!

Birminghog

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on May 23, 2017, 03:47:40 pm

Do the camps have to be at a 4-year? If not, contract with the closest Jr. College to Baton Rouge & N.O. that has a football team. I'm sure they could use the $$ it would bring in.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: Birminghog on May 23, 2017, 05:47:04 pm
Do the camps have to be at a 4-year? If not, contract with the closest Jr. College to Baton Rouge & N.O. that has a football team. I'm sure they could use the $$ it would bring in.

All schools in LA receive state funding. They are all presently broke and going into disrepair due to the oil bust. LSU officials/alumni legislators will make life even more difficult for the smaller schools if they screw with the LSU Athletic Departments cash cow.

tophawg19

rent a stadium and split costs with the other big schools . there are schools who would go against the LSU boosters if the price was right
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Hawghiggs

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on May 23, 2017, 04:00:30 pm
Stop. It became evident you don't know what the hell you're talking about yesterday.

Why? Because I actually used facts.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: Hawghiggs on May 23, 2017, 09:32:28 pm
Why? Because I actually used facts.

Here's a fact. You stated Arkansas should hire a recruiter from that area when they already had one. THAT'S WHY.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Hawghiggs on May 23, 2017, 03:54:01 pm

He's probably the best recruiter on our staff.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Hawghiggs on May 23, 2017, 03:47:09 pm
I not saying he is not doing a good job. What I'm saying is simply the more connections that we have in that state. The better off we will be. And to answer your question. At least two.
So two for LA, two for FL, and two for TX.  Man we need to hire more coaches so that we can recruit the other 47 states too.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

Pork Twain

Trollers be trolling...  I doubt you get many top NCAA jobs without more work ethic than your average HV poster.  I am being generous by calling you average.

ricepig

Quote from: tophawg19 on May 23, 2017, 08:52:16 pm
rent a stadium and split costs with the other big schools . there are schools who would go against the LSU boosters if the price was right

The camp must be held on a local college's campus, by a local college.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hogwild

Quote from: ricepig on May 24, 2017, 06:59:29 am

Unless a contract was signed before mid January, some schools have alreeady partnered with NFL teams to hold joint camps, examples LSU/Saints, UGA/Falcons.
Would have been great to have had one with the Cowboys. 

onebadrubi

Who did we steal from
Col st or NW

tophawg19

Quote from: ricepig on May 24, 2017, 06:59:29 am
nothing to say it can't be a small college or juco if they have one where we need it. I'm sure the money from Arkansas , Texas , Michigan , Bama and a few others would make it work. nothing like a few hundred thousand to help a budget look better
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

ricepig

Quote from: tophawg19 on May 24, 2017, 05:31:10 pm
nothing to say it can't be a small college or juco if they have one where we need it. I'm sure the money from Arkansas , Texas , Michigan , Bama and a few others would make it work. nothing like a few hundred thousand to help a budget look better

I doubt we will spend a hundred thousand to put on a camp in LA, it doesn't matter anyway, they need the state money a lot more than a few hundred thousand.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: Pork Twain on May 24, 2017, 05:08:56 am
So two for LA, two for FL, and two for TX.  Man we need to hire more coaches so that we can recruit the other 47 states too.

Why would we need to recruit the rest? That's like 3 of the 6 most recruitable states in the nation. We need one recruiter for Arkansas-East Oklahoma, and we need one recruiter for Kansas-Missouri.  The rest could just go to those 3 states.

Hawghiggs

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

hog of steele