Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Report: Hugh Freeze set to become next Ole Miss head coach

Started by The Great Hambino, December 03, 2011, 10:26:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

TomDavidEsq.

Curious, why wouldn't Ole Miss go after Fedora at Southern Misss?

LuckyGiraffe

The most interesting thing about Freeze is that he would be where he is today if Memphis would have hired him as their women's basketball coach when he interviewed.  It is a much faster ascension that Gus's especially when you consider that he has more experience coaching hs girls bball

Nuttbashed

Quote from: ScottFaldon on December 03, 2011, 11:06:44 am
Amazing to think just a few years ago he tried - and failed - to get a couple of high school jobs in Arkansas.

What HS jobs did he apply for?

go hogues

Quote from: hogz17 on December 04, 2011, 07:11:21 am
This is actually a pretty sad hire for Ole Miss.  They fired their coach with a month remaining in their season and the best they can do is this guy.  He may turn out to be a great coach, but it seems like a huge gamble.  If they honestly cared about winning football games they would have hired Mike Leach two days after they canned Nutt.  If true, this hire is very revealing.  Here is what it shows:

Archie Manning is an idiot (mainly this, which begets the following):

1)  They don't care about winning.
2)  No legitimate candidate wanted this job
3)  They are following the good ole boy network
4)  They don't care about winning.
FIFY

I'm actually thrilled they are going to make this hire. No way he'll be able to make them contenders in the SEC west. Keeping them down is fine with me.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

gostAte

Quote from: go hogues on December 04, 2011, 10:07:36 am
FIFY

I'm actually thrilled they are going to make this hire. No way he'll be able to make them contenders in the SEC west. Keeping them down is fine with me.

Lots of people said asu couldn't win either.  If you can win at stAte you can win a lot of places.

jfisdirtybird

Quote from: TomDavidEsq. on December 04, 2011, 08:53:14 am
Curious, why wouldn't Ole Miss go after Fedora at Southern Misss?

I agree, sounds like the perfect fit to me....Money wise, makes both sides a winner and recruiting wise, same same....good fit....

Mr. Porkleone

pioneerhog

There are reports that he has been offered the job and that only formalities remain.

johnny cash

jfisdirtybird

^^^^^^^I don't care if they hire Freeze or not. If they do, he'll get his chance to play Arkansas every year like so many ar st fans want....maybe he'll draw a few ar st fans his way....

gostAte

Quote from: johnny cash on December 04, 2011, 10:37:32 am
Good for ole miss, bad for ASU!

I guess it's how you look at it. I wish he would have stayed but I'd rather be losing coaches to sec schools than fire them for not producing.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: gostAte on December 04, 2011, 10:54:17 am
I guess it's how you look at it. I wish he would have stayed but I'd rather be losing coaches to sec schools than fire them for not producing.

You're not the first astate fan I've heard express that opinion.  Who do y'all look for to replace him?
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

BOAR_N2BWILD

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on December 04, 2011, 02:22:27 am
With a $25 buyout, no doubt.
actually $25 gift card to WalMart and a year's supply of Sonic blasts - I believe that this is how the actual contract reads. ;)
Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

go hogues

Quote from: gostAte on December 04, 2011, 10:19:47 am
Lots of people said asu couldn't win either.  If you can win at stAte you can win a lot of places.
Maybe. But you can't win in the SEC west. Like I said, I am glad he'll be there for a few years spinning wheels and being moderately competitive. I just don't see any way he can make OM any more relevant than they typically are - unless, of course, they go the way of the Cheezit and cheat.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

gostAte

Quote from: go hogues on December 04, 2011, 11:01:15 am
Maybe. But you can't win in the SEC west. Like I said, I am glad he'll be there for a few years spinning wheels and being moderately competitive. I just don't see any way he can make OM any more relevant than they typically are - unless, of course, they go the way of the Cheezit and cheat.

I don't have the crystal ball you do and maybe the challenges will be different but asu has proven to be a very difficult place to win, much like ole misses. I don't like ole miss but I wish Coach Freeze nothing but success.

chiefsfan

Quote from: jfisdirtybird on December 04, 2011, 10:38:00 am
^^^^^^^I don't care if they hire Freeze or not. If they do, he'll get his chance to play Arkansas every year like so many ar st fans want....maybe he'll draw a few ar st fans his way....

Hardly, most of our fans are already starting to call him a traitor...
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

chiefsfan

Quote from: Albert Einswine on December 04, 2011, 10:56:45 am
You're not the first astate fan I've heard express that opinion.  Who do y'all look for to replace him?

Fans want Wommack, but supposedly he doesnt want to be a head coach.

I really like Henderson State's HC, and would love to get him on staff right now.   I threw a current Arkansas assistant not named Horton on the list, but thats more of a pipe dream.  Curtis Loper at Auburn.  Dan Hawkins.   
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: chiefsfan on December 04, 2011, 11:43:10 am

I really like Henderson State's HC, and would love to get him on staff right now.   I threw a current Arkansas assistant not named Horton on the list, but thats more of a pipe dream.  Curtis Loper at Auburn.  Dan Hawkins.   

What about Conque?
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

chiefsfan

Quote from: Albert Einswine on December 04, 2011, 11:45:33 am
What about Conque?

It depends on how much our donors want him.   We would need to offer him a similar salary to what we offered Freeze after this year to get him in.  There are concerns that the money we came up with wont stay there now that Freeze is gone

hog_fan

So chief why do A-State fans think it us a better job then SEC. Your in the Sunbelt.

chiefsfan

Quote from: hog_fan on December 04, 2011, 11:51:38 am
So chief why do A-State fans think it us a better job then SEC. Your in the Sunbelt.

We dont.  We just feel that our program is in better shape right now, and that Freeze is taking a gigantic risk in his coaching career, if he bombs at Ole Miss he'll be back to square 1

he could go to a Southern Miss easily and have more success, or stay at ASU and with another good year be able to choose any job he wants

Lrhog671

I would think that Head coach of the bottom of the sec, is still a top 30 job. I am getting that because any BCS AQ conference is better than an non-AQ conference. Then take the top 3 jobs from all the AQ conferences, and assume they might be a better job than bottom of the SEC. You still end up with Ole Miss a top 30 job.

LR-HOG

Congrats to HF!  With the job you did this yea,r you deserve a step up. Welcome to the big time and  Good Luck! (except when you play the HOGS)

hog_fan

Quote from: chiefsfan on December 04, 2011, 12:23:05 pm
We dont.  We just feel that our program is in better shape right now, and that Freeze is taking a gigantic risk in his coaching career, if he bombs at Ole Miss he'll be back to square 1

he could go to a Southern Miss easily and have more success, or stay at ASU and with another good year be able to choose any job he wants

Isn't Ole Miss his dream job? He will find out how bad of shape it is in. Doubt he knows how bad Nutt sucks at recruiting. If you don't think it is better job then why get mad at him leaving. It's a huge raise and he is going to his dream job. And ASU had a ton of Seniors this year. Apparently Roberts could recruit decent, but couldn't coach worth a crap.

If Wommack doesn't want to be Head Coach I see him going to Ole Miss as DC.

You think Nutt will call? I have seen A-state fans think Arkansas doesn't want to play because they are afraid they will lose fans to A-State. Your AD should have know this was possibly coming so he should be prepared. Hire Nutt and they should take care of getting your AD fired.

UncleFrank

December 04, 2011, 12:41:29 pm #75 Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 12:43:32 pm by UncleFrank
Quoteor stay at ASU and with another good year be able to choose any job he wants

Hmmm.....No...nobody coaching at ASU will ever be in a position to "choose any job he wants".
C'mon.  That's ludicrous.
Even if you win fairly big at ASU, you're still not gonna be able to just go pick any job you want, simply because you won 9 or 10 games playing in the Sunbelt.

Even winning 9 or 10 games at Ole Miss once won't get you that kind of a pass.
If Freeze stays--and has another good year--tell me what potential job he'd be holding out for next year?
Tennessee, if Dooley gets canned?  That ain't happenin'. I doubt they'd even give Freeze a courtesy interview.
South Carolina, if Spurrier retires?  Please..............

Freeze has a shot THIS YEAR at either Memphis or Ole Miss.
There are not gonna be any jobs open next year for Hugh Freeze that are gonna provide him with any better opportunity to move on up into a higher level of coaching and gain more exposure, than either of those would right now.
He'd be silly not to jump at either one of those jobs, if they're offered.

The only reason to stay at ASU, if you're Freeze, is if you just don't think you're ready, yet, for a higher level of competition, or if you're just planning to hang around Jonesboro another 10 or 15 years.

elksnort

Why is Memphis a good job? Memphis is an urban school with crappy football fan support. It's a basketball school and probably always be one.

ASU is what it is. I'm very happy for ASU. Ultimately, ASU and many many other schools need to be in a lower college football divsion again.

rude1

Quote from: chiefsfan on December 04, 2011, 12:23:05 pm

I agree with this mostly. Other than the obvious hyperbole of being able to chose any job he wants by having success at ASU. But he and Ole Miss both are taking huge risks with this venture if they do it.

First he is coming into a hostile situation that Hootie created, void of much proven SEC talent, with a fan base divided and all mostly hoping for a "splash hire" not a "one hit wonder". With a more proven coach there would have been more of the patience needed to totally rebuild another mess that Hootie has left behind.

With HF, if he doesn't win early, with every loss will come the confirmation for many of why he should have not been hired in the first place. Had he stayed at ASU and proved he could build and sustain that program, and then went on to Ole Miss there would have been more patience for a guy who has proven over several seasons he knows how to get it done.

go hogues

December 04, 2011, 02:00:33 pm #78 Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 02:02:20 pm by go hogues
Quote from: gostAte on December 04, 2011, 11:16:34 am
I don't have the crystal ball you do and maybe the challenges will be different but asu has proven to be a very difficult place to win, much like ole misses. I don't like ole miss but I wish Coach Freeze nothing but success.
You're not going up against Saban, Miles, Petrino, heck, even Mullen at stAte either. It may be tough to win at AState but you have to admit, the relative talent pool is very similar across all SunBelt teams. Not so in the SEC.
He'll have some decent teams at Ole Miss but he'll never have them competing for the SEC west, which, in the SEC, gets you canned sooner rather than later.
He won't last four years there.

chiefsfan

Quote from: hog_fan on December 04, 2011, 12:39:43 pm
Isn't Ole Miss his dream job? He will find out how bad of shape it is in. Doubt he knows how bad Nutt sucks at recruiting. If you don't think it is better job then why get mad at him leaving. It's a huge raise and he is going to his dream job. And ASU had a ton of Seniors this year. Apparently Roberts could recruit decent, but couldn't coach worth a crap.

If Wommack doesn't want to be Head Coach I see him going to Ole Miss as DC.

You think Nutt will call? I have seen A-state fans think Arkansas doesn't want to play because they are afraid they will lose fans to A-State. Your AD should have know this was possibly coming so he should be prepared. Hire Nutt and they should take care of getting your AD fired.

We hold it over Hugh Freeze because we feel it is wrong to leave a school after 1 year, and we dont like the fact he is bailing before the Bowl game.  As one of our fans put it, get him to Oxford and never let him near Jonesboro again.

As for Nutt, there is too much bad blood over our parting with his brother for him to ever be interested in our job.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: chiefsfan on December 04, 2011, 02:17:38 pm
We hold it over Hugh Freeze because we feel it is wrong to leave a school after 1 year, and we dont like the fact he is bailing before the Bowl game.  As one of our fans put it, get him to Oxford and never let him near Jonesboro again.

As for Nutt, there is too much bad blood over our parting with his brother for him to ever be interested in our job.

I think y'all learned, much like we did, that a Nutt coaching in Arkansas is more of an infestation than anything.

Smithian

Quote from: chiefsfan on December 04, 2011, 11:43:10 am
...Wommack?

Dave Wommack?

That Dave Wommack?

elksnort

ASU fans ought to be happy they had a great year. It has not happen since I was in school there (mid to late 1980s). I can see why ASU fans would be initially displeased with Freeze for leaving, but if they think about it, then they'll realize he is taking care of his future career. It would be difficult to coach somewhere that still has empty stands even when you win all your home games.

Am I guilty? Yes, to some extent. I live across town and don't go to the games. I wanted to for the Western KY game but could not find anyone to go with. This is a lame excuse if I were a real ASU fan, but I am not.

ASU, Troy, Miami University, New Mexico, Nevada, Memphis, Fresno, etc. need to be in a lower league. Not saying that these type teams can't compete with the big boys, but their programs in general, are not at the same level.

Westcoasthog

I wish all  of you would quit  posting that Hugh Freeze is going to Ole Miss.

gostAte

Quote from: elksnort on December 04, 2011, 01:06:17 pm
ASU is what it is. I'm very happy for ASU. Ultimately, ASU and many many other schools need to be in a lower college football divsion again.

Why just because you want them to? This is America brother, if you can afford to move up and want to, you should be able to.

lookawayquick

HF will replace Fedora at S MS.  Hattiesburg is home.  He will have success there, Oxford is a black hole.  Fedora will have several schools soliciting his services, I predict he'll land in College Station.

(notOM)Rebel123

If Freeze leaves, be happy you had him for one season. It's been a great season. Heck, we (UofA) once  had a coach that left after one day!
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

elksnort

Quote from: gostAte on December 04, 2011, 02:54:51 pm
Why just because you want them to? This is America brother, if you can afford to move up and want to, you should be able to.
Listen here mister! (Rick Schaeffer voice). j/k

Yes, it's capitalism, etc.   And when has ASU or any of the schools I mentioned filled their stadium with consistency? I never said that they should be banned from moving up or whatever. I'm merely saying that they have shown no signs that they will.

By the way, my father lettered in football and track at Arkansas State College in 1959. My families' roots are here in Craighead County as far as anyone on this board. I live here in Jonesboro. I know what I'm talking about. ASU will never be really big time.

Now, Go Red Wolves, win your damn bowl game. The Razorbacks sure have not done well at this.

chiefsfan

Quote from: Rebel123 on December 04, 2011, 03:19:45 pm
If Freeze leaves, be happy you had him for one season. It's been a great season. Heck, we (UofA) once  had a coach that left after one day!

If he leaves he's a traitor...its that simple.   You are either with us, or against us.  There is no middle ground.

From what I am hearing from out fans, we are hoping once he leaves town he never sets foot back here again... He is now the enemy and will be treated as the enemy...

Tim Harris

Quote from: chiefsfan on December 04, 2011, 03:54:33 pm
If he leaves he's a traitor...its that simple.   You are either with us, or against us.  There is no middle ground.

From what I am hearing from out fans, we are hoping once he leaves town he never sets foot back here again... He is now the enemy and will be treated as the enemy...

Hopefully you don't think any coach is going to make a career out of being the coach at ASU.

gostAte

Quote from: chiefsfan on December 04, 2011, 03:54:33 pm

You may speak for some ASU fans but not all of us. I appreciate him winning in Jonesboro where so many people said it couldn't happen.

chiefsfan

Quote from: gostAte on December 04, 2011, 04:04:29 pm
You may speak for some ASU fans but not all of us. I appreciate him winning in Jonesboro where so many people said it couldn't happen.

Oh I appreciate the 10 win season.  But I still think he's a traitor.  I look at it one way.  You are with us, or against us.  There is no middle ground, not after 1 year.

Sure if he had waited 3 years and really moved the program yes, but after leaving in less then a year, all that shows me is that he was using us to get a better job.  I want coaches who are going to be committed to rebuilding ASU...not someone whose just here so he can go coach at a bigger school

claycohog

Quote from: chiefsfan on December 04, 2011, 04:42:28 pm
Oh I appreciate the 10 win season.  But I still think he's a traitor.  I look at it one way.  You are with us, or against us.  There is no middle ground, not after 1 year.

Sure if he had waited 3 years and really moved the program yes, but after leaving in less then a year, all that shows me is that he was using us to get a better job.  I want coaches who are going to be committed to rebuilding ASU...not someone whose just here so he can go coach at a bigger school
Good luck with that....

hog_fan

A-State fans like chief think they are greater then they are. Look at their empty stadium on a 10 win season. They think Arkansas is scared of losing fans to them

ExArky

As an ASU grad and nearly 3-decade Jonesboro resident before heading east -- I'm glad Freeze is going to Ole Miss and not to Memphis.

Dominicanhog

one thing about it... you win the secw @ OM and you can win anywhere.

gunther

Ole Misery vs. Ark State could be a good non-conf rivalry over the next few years.

gunther

Freeze will have his work cut out for him cleaning up Hooties mess.

GotPig?

How can you have such animosity toward a guy who has an opportunity to set up his family for life - i.e., to go from the lowest paid coach in all of D-1 football (and coaching in the Sunbelt) to making a million plus a year in the SEC?

He got your school to the best record it will likely ever have and you're turning on him in a heartbeat.  And to think how sanctimonious some ASU fans were when Hog fans were upset with Nutt going to Ole Miss the way he did under vastly different circumstances.  Methinks there's a little hypocrisy here.  I can understand your being upset, but the dude is from Mississippi and can make ten times there what he can in Jonesboro.  Even of he gets fired in a couple of years, he and his family will have a couple million in the bank.  You'd do the same in his shoes, wouldn't you?

Seminole Indian

Quote from: hog_fan on December 04, 2011, 04:57:13 pm
A-State fans like chief think they are greater then they are. Look at their empty stadium on a 10 win season. They think Arkansas is scared of losing fans to them
ASU averaged around 20K this season and for the SBC/MAC/WAC and most of CUSA that is pretty darn good. 
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne