Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

This one is on Anderson

Started by AlmaHog2011, January 02, 2018, 10:14:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rbill

I'm a big Anderson fan and want him to succeed here and stay forever. But I'm objective enough to call out weaknesses I think I see. Our system is our system and it works well sometimes. But if we could take our system and have someone on staff draw up some set plays, or nudge coach when he forgets someone on the bench or someone isn't playing well, we'd be in good shape.

Letsroll1200

Turning point in the game was the miss free throw by Daryl Macon.

Fan701

Quote from: Smalltownhog95 on January 02, 2018, 11:07:21 pm
Do i have data? No. But as a former player when your team gets mauled at the rim and your coach finds some ass to chew about it it can spark a team and change the flow of a game. Seemed to work pretty well for Nolan.
I think many would agree with you, but I'm pretty sure if you actually looked at what happens after technicals, you'd find they were net negatives, probably by a lot.  I don't deny that the coach, players, and fans might get some emotional satisfaction from an explosion of anger, but I think its almost always counterprodutive.

Jzilla

Quote from: Rbill on January 02, 2018, 11:08:53 pm
I'm a big Anderson fan and want him to succeed here and stay forever. But I'm objective enough to call out weaknesses I think I see. Our system is our system and it works well sometimes. But if we could take our system and have someone on staff draw up some set plays, or nudge coach when he forgets someone on the bench or someone isn't playing well, we'd be in good shape.
Definitely agree with what you have to say!!

The_Bionic_Pig

Arkansas outscored Mississippi State. by 16 pts from the field...
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

niels_boar

Weatherspoon hit a trey three feet behind the line and over Gafford.  That wasn't bad defense.  Tip your cap. If anything, I though we should have gone to the zone sooner because all MSU had to do was dribble into the lane and fall down to go to the FT line.  If they had been forced to make enough shots to beat us, they would have lost.

And Beard played as well as anyone but Macon.  If we call a timeout, they can foul and deny the trey.  Getting the trey in transition was a better probability.  Macon didn't walk either.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

Kevin McPherson

I didn't like the way Arkansas finished the game strategically. This is not after-the-fact stuff, this is what I was thinking BEFORE it played out. Coming out of the timeout down 3, I thought UA had plenty of time to attack the basket for 2 (maybe finish and get fouled for and-1 chance, maybe get fouled and shoot 2 FTs, or maybe just get a lay-in), but better chance to get points that way, then you can go for a quick steal on inbounds pass then foul quickly if you don't get the steal. Extend the game.

And I don't understand w/6.6 secs left and the younger Weatherspoon at the line how you don't demand and draw something up for either Macon or Barford take your last 3 attempt, or use either of those two to draw help and kick it to CJ Jones. Beard is the last in the guard rotation you want pulling from 3 in that situation.

Stuff happens, but I just didn't think the situational basketball planning was sound late.

TexArkHogFan

Pretty sure Macon was double teamed there at the end.  The only reason for Beard to be on the floor, with his track record of taking the last shot, was strict instructions to get the ball to Macon, Barford or Jones, they can't double team all of them.   They gave us our best chance at making a three.  And please spend a portion of every practice with Gafford on shooting free throws.  He's killing us when he goes to the free throw line.  I love the way he plays the game except at the free throw line.
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

TNarch

Yeah, that pretty much sucked.  Gave up what looks like it could have been an easy win.  But hopefully the team can learn from it and move on.

razorbackfanatic

Who was Beard going to pass to? When Barford got the ball to Beard there was about 3 seconds left. At least he got a shot off. I wish Macon would have been more aggressive on the possession before when he got called for traveling. I also wish we would have gotten him the ball coming off a screen instead of giving it to him and letting him ISO when everyone in the building new he was going to take a 3.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: razorbackfanatic on January 03, 2018, 12:41:33 am
Who was Beard going to pass to? When Barford got the ball to Beard there was about 3 seconds left. At least he got a shot off. I wish Macon would have been more aggressive on the possession before when he got called for traveling. I also wish we would have gotten him the ball coming off a screen instead of giving it to him and letting him ISO when everyone in the building new he was going to take a 3.
Anyone but Beard needs to take the last shot. Anybody.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: Fan701 on January 02, 2018, 11:03:58 pm
If you can show me any data suggesting that hurting your team with a technical foul somehow helps your team, I'll believe you, but I'm pretty sure you can't.  Mike jaws with the refs but rarely ever loses control to the point of hurting the team.  That's a good quality, IMO, not a bad one.

You wouldn't understand. You watched the game and are going all out trying to act like the FT difference was just OK..LMAO at the people who know absolutely nothing about bball and post on message boards.

The_Iceman

If he wanted more fouls, he should have coached his guys to pump fake on the contested 3's and drive to the basket. That's how you shrink the gap.

King Kong

I thought coach A did a pretty good job overall. Not perfect but on the road on a Tues coming
off an OT game with a great chance to win.

We have to find a way to get Barford more rest in games. Tonight he had dead legs from all the mins he has been playing.

Fan701

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on January 03, 2018, 06:34:34 am
You wouldn't understand. You watched the game and are going all out trying to act like the FT difference was just OK..LMAO at the people who know absolutely nothing about bball and post on message boards.
No, no, no.  The free throw difference was not OK, but I disagree with you that it was in Mike Anderson's power to change that.  IMO getting a technical, giving them points in a tight game, would have been suicidal.  I think he was right to jaw the refs, as he did, but not to take it to the point of hurting the team.  You have nothing to show me other than your certainty that if he'd acted like a fool the refs would have somehow been intimidated.  I'll never agree with you on this, even though you can go on pretending that you have some special understanding of the game not vouchsafed to us lesser fans. Let's just drop it, and both hope for better times on Saturday.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 03, 2018, 06:44:52 am
If he wanted more fouls, he should have coached his guys to pump fake on the contested 3's and drive to the basket. That's how you shrink the gap.

CJ Jones need to be doing this drill everyday in practice. He is one dimensional on offense.

sigpooie

Noland and eddie, worked the officials and yes some or most of their techs resulted in wins. No stats, just proof since i was there. I think it's different now, officials have more chips on their shoulders. But barfords LeRoy Jenkins move didn't help. Mikes job is to fix it before sat, cause both of these teams cheat and are part of the fbi deal..
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! Hunter "my buddy" Thompson

PharmacistHog

This loss is on me. If I watch a game they lose. If I miss the game they win. I fully accept the blame for last night. I should have watched something else and just checked the game thread. My bad.
Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

hawg66

Quote from: PharmacistHog on January 03, 2018, 08:34:06 am
This loss is on me. If I watch a game they lose. If I miss the game they win. I fully accept the blame for last night. I should have watched something else and just checked the game thread. My bad.

Bastard

Smalltownhog95

Quote from: Fan701 on January 02, 2018, 11:15:45 pm
I think many would agree with you, but I'm pretty sure if you actually looked at what happens after technicals, you'd find they were net negatives, probably by a lot.  I don't deny that the coach, players, and fans might get some emotional satisfaction from an explosion of anger, but I think its almost always counterprodutive.
And i see what your saying but you can't count on stats to tell you how the flow or momentum of the game changes. 99%of the time a baseball manager isnt going to get the call on the field changed so whats the point in arguing with an ump or risk an ejection? To get in the officials mind that you're staring him down and that you have no problem calling him out in front of thousands of people. Subconsciously it can get to him and that strike zone may change. The same goes for basketball. The whistke may not get blown on some BS Ticky tac fouls as often.
Wait a minute this isn't chinese checkers.. This isn't even regular checkers!

LA Football fan

It also doesn't take into account that it fires up your own team knowing your coach is fighting for you and is not willing to let the officials just walk all over you without so much as a whimper.   You take the tech when it hurts the least,  when the other team has possession of the ball.  All they get  out  of it is two extra free throws and the same possession they already had.  You leverage that two points hoping your team will offset that with more inspired play and maybe the refs lay off the bogus whistles for a few plays.  No guarantees but when the refs are ripping you a new one already, what difference is it really going to make if it pisses them off.  They basically are calling afoul on every other trip down the court anyway.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: PharmacistHog on January 03, 2018, 08:34:06 am

Well dang man quit watching!! lol

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: Fan701 on January 03, 2018, 07:57:50 am
No, no, no.  The free throw difference was not OK, but I disagree with you that it was in Mike Anderson's power to change that.  IMO getting a technical, giving them points in a tight game, would have been suicidal.  I think he was right to jaw the refs, as he did, but not to take it to the point of hurting the team.  You have nothing to show me other than your certainty that if he'd acted like a fool the refs would have somehow been intimidated.  I'll never agree with you on this, even though you can go on pretending that you have some special understanding of the game not vouchsafed to us lesser fans. Let's just drop it, and both hope for better times on Saturday.
Agree just drop it. I know what I know.

contractinghawg

One of the factors is that Trey Thompson was getting beat on defense and was a non factor on offense.  After that one turn over where he practically handed the ball to the other team, he should have been yanked and stayed on the bench.  It's time to put Cook, Bailey, or Gabe on the floor and see what happens.  Felt sorry for Bailey because it seemed some of the fouls he received was because of trying to help Thompson.  Oh, well on to Auburn :puke: and beat the crap out of them.   

cableguy

One thing I know for sure. If Beard can get his hand on the ball at the end of the shot clock or end of the game he ain't going to give it up.
[/quote]

It's time for CMA to address Beard about him taking 80% of our last seconds shots when the game is on the line. Heck, I wouldn't mind Coach calling time out just to take Beard out the game and let Barford, Jones and Macon play guard.  I believe this is part of the reason a lot of fans don't care for Beard. Beard is a good overall player, but his end of game shot making skills are pitiful.   

cableguy

Quote from: contractinghawg on January 03, 2018, 10:50:20 am
One of the factors is that Trey Thompson was getting beat on defense and was a non factor on offense.  After that one turn over where he practically handed the ball to the other team, he should have been yanked and stayed on the bench.  It's time to put Cook, Bailey, or Gabe on the floor and see what happens.  Felt sorry for Bailey because it seemed some of the fouls he received was because of trying to help Thompson.  Oh, well on to Auburn :puke: and beat the crap out of them.

I am with you, it's time to put Trey Thompson at the end of the bench.  I don't understand how you come in bigger your senior season.  I would play Gabe the freshman over him at this point. Gabe didn't play that bad early on in the season and he look good the last time he played.

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

Quote from: Smalltownhog95 on January 02, 2018, 11:07:21 pm
Do i have data? No. But as a former player when your team gets mauled at the rim and your coach finds some ass to chew about it it can spark a team and change the flow of a game. Seemed to work pretty well for Nolan.

I'm with you and Almahog on this. I'd easily give up the 2 points to 1. Provide a spark to my team and 2. Hopefully stop the crap-show of one-sided officiating. Mike has GOT to stand up and light a fire under someone's ass when it gets that bad.

snookybobhog

A lot of back and forth bout small stuff, much of which is true....but to me, these are the reasons we lost!
1. Our point guard is killing us! To many turnovers, poor shots and bad decisions! Gotta get better at pt guard play or it's going bite us all year!
2. Fouling....gotta adjust to how the game is being called! That falls on players and coaches! You can blame the refs... Or you  adjust and make the best of it!
3. Defensive boards. MSU got way too many put backs on offense! Gotta get better on the boards...again, coaches and players!
4. Bench play- Adrio Bailey had one of his best games! The rest of the bench disappeared! This has got to change b4 we become a better team!
5. We gave up way too many easy baskets! Layups in fact. Our defense has too many holes right now! I hope our coaches can shore this up!

Just a few observations.

hogsanity

Quote from: snookybobhog on January 03, 2018, 11:21:03 am
A lot of back and forth bout small stuff, much of which is true....but to me, these are the reasons we lost!
1. Our point guard is killing us! To many turnovers, poor shots and bad decisions! Gotta get better at pt guard play or it's going bite us all year!
2. Fouling....gotta adjust to how the game is being called! That falls on players and coaches! You can blame the refs... Or you  adjust and make the best of it!
3. Defensive boards. MSU got way too many put backs on offense! Gotta get better on the boards...again, coaches and players!
4. Bench play- Adrio Bailey had one of his best games! The rest of the bench disappeared! This has got to change b4 we become a better team!
5. We gave up way too many easy baskets! Layups in fact. Our defense has too many holes right now! I hope our coaches can shore this up!

Just a few observations.

9 1/2 years and only 7 posts prior to this one, sorry ain't buyin.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

code red

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on January 02, 2018, 10:14:46 pm
42-12 and it was obvious what was going on. He didn't even challenge the refs just took it. BTW I am a huge Anderson fan.

But tonight he didn't fight for his team. He should have been thrown out of the gym about when Bailey was going for the dunk and the guy hammered his wrist and no call. That should have been a blow up. I don't understand why he never really got into the game.

And for the idiot who is saying it's us and not the officials STFU! It was the officials.
Did you check the rebounding margin??  Esp. offensive?  It was us.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

BallHog1

Quote from: TexArkHogFan on January 03, 2018, 12:31:23 am
Pretty sure Macon was double teamed there at the end.  The only reason for Beard to be on the floor, with his track record of taking the last shot, was strict instructions to get the ball to Macon, Barford or Jones, they can't double team all of them.   They gave us our best chance at making a three.  And please spend a portion of every practice with Gafford on shooting free throws.  He's killing us when he goes to the free throw line.  I love the way he plays the game except at the free throw line.
Macon was double teamed. That little fact escapes the many incredible coaches here on HV that always know what we should have done after a loss. Any team with any sense at all would have double teamed Macon at that point last night, no surprise.

SouthTulsaHog

Quote from: code red on January 03, 2018, 12:26:25 pm

This! When you get more offensive rebounds, you are going to get fouled more under the basket. Simple basketball. That doesn't describe the whole descrepency. I watched every second of the game, and outside of a couple of anticipatory foul calls I think the refs made, I didn't notice a glaring hosing. When you look at the box score it looks bad. But I would say a majority of our fouls would have been called if we were playing the game in Bud Walton

The_Iceman

Quote from: code red on January 03, 2018, 12:26:25 pm

Rebounding margin is not why we lost. Our rebounding margin is usually not favorable. The reason we lost is lack of production from CJ Jones and Barford, which we do usually get.

hogsanity

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 03, 2018, 12:41:28 pm
Rebounding margin is not why we lost. Our rebounding margin is usually not favorable. The reason we lost is lack of production from CJ Jones and Barford, which we do usually get.

all this talk about Jones being some scorer is kind of a myth. Look at his #'s this year. Scored 10, 7,6,2,12,19,11,19,15,6,15,4,2,0

Had a nice 5 game stretch starting with UNC, but also has 7 games with 7 or fewer. Only has 27 in his last 5 and that includes 15 against ORU.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Paul

in close games it always comes down to half court basketball

code red

Quote from: SouthTulsaHog on January 03, 2018, 12:37:45 pm
This! When you get more offensive rebounds, you are going to get fouled more under the basket. Simple basketball. That doesn't describe the whole descrepency. I watched every second of the game, and outside of a couple of anticipatory foul calls I think the refs made, I didn't notice a glaring hosing. When you look at the box score it looks bad. But I would say a majority of our fouls would have been called if we were playing the game in Bud Walton
We had our chances....Miss State shot poorly from the FT line.  We gave up too many chip shots and didn't defend.....MA teams are poor half court defenders always have been. 
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

code red

Quote from: cableguy on January 03, 2018, 10:59:46 am
I am with you, it's time to put Trey Thompson at the end of the bench.  I don't understand how you come in bigger your senior season.  I would play Gabe the freshman over him at this point. Gabe didn't play that bad early on in the season and he look good the last time he played.
Agreed. 

hawg66

The two teams have totally different identities. Arkansas is a finesse offensive team and MSU is an aggressive physical defensive team. I'm he aggressive physical team shot three times as many free throws. Arkansas didn't get the short end of the stick. They got beat with the stick.

The officials were bad but the Hogs still had their chance to win. The real season is just beginning. Anderson believes how you play in February determines how far you go in March. Still plenty of time for them to get better.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: hogsanity on January 03, 2018, 01:02:34 pm
all this talk about Jones being some scorer is kind of a myth. Look at his #'s this year. Scored 10, 7,6,2,12,19,11,19,15,6,15,4,2,0

Had a nice 5 game stretch starting with UNC, but also has 7 games with 7 or fewer. Only has 27 in his last 5 and that includes 15 against ORU.

He needs to work hard on attacking the basket and has to hit some shots with a defender near him. He's not going to get anymore wide open 3 pointers. He's athletic enough but doesn't play athletic. He had rebounding position in perfect position and just stood there and let the state guy get the ball. Still talented with a beautiful shot. We need him. Hall is a much better competitor. I hope Hall plays more.

hogsanity

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on January 03, 2018, 03:34:48 pm
He's not going to get anymore wide open 3 pointers.

How is it that he can't get wide open 3's but so many times hog opponents can?

The_Iceman

Quote from: hogsanity on January 03, 2018, 01:02:34 pm

Bad effort on your part. Those are actually really good numbers for a bench player. He has "7 games of 7 or fewer", when 7 points from him would have won us the game. Heck, 4 points would have. He averages 9 points a game...we can't expect 4? Barford shoots 40%+ from 3, we can expect him to make one of his six?

Teams are starting to run Jones off the line and he is not adjusting. We either need to run better screens for him or he needs to pump fake and attack off the dribble.

hogsanity

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 03, 2018, 03:45:19 pm
Bad effort on your part. Those are actually really good numbers for a bench player. He has "7 games of 7 or fewer", when 7 points from him would have won us the game. Heck, 4 points would have. He averages 9 points a game...we can't expect 4? Barford shoots 40%+ from 3, we can expect him to make one of his six?

Teams are starting to run Jones off the line and he is not adjusting. We either need to run better screens for him or he needs to pump fake and attack off the dribble.

The middle 5 games are good numbers, even great for a bench player, the last 3 games are not at all. My point is that he has really slumped lately. When he is on the floor teams do not leave him open ( wish Hogs would figure out how to do that with good shooters ).

But I am not blaming Jones when the entire bench has 19 pts in 2 SEC games. The drop off from 1st team to 2nd in production is huge right now.

Jim Harris

Quote from: Fan701 on January 02, 2018, 10:20:48 pm
Macon should have taken that shot.  We had a timeout left?  What was Beard thinking?

Macon was covered up by Q from the moment the rebound went to the opposite side of the lane to Barford and he gave it off to Beard. He would have never gotten the ball. They also smartly shaded C.J.  Jones on the far corner and were guarding Barford. Beard was the only one with a  chance to shoot it and that was from 30.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Paul

Quote from: Jim Harris on January 03, 2018, 03:51:54 pm
Macon was covered up by Q from the moment the rebound went to the opposite side of the lane to Barford and he gave it off to Beard. He would have never gotten the ball. They also smartly shaded C.J.  Jones on the far corner and were guarding Barford. Beard was the only one with a  chance to shoot it and that was from 30.
they apparently had a great scouting report

hogsanity

Quote from: Jim Harris on January 03, 2018, 03:51:54 pm

If the roles were reversed, the Hogs would have sent 4 to trap the ball and left 3 shooters wide open.

Quote from: Paul on January 03, 2018, 03:53:53 pm
they apparently had a great scouting report

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: hogsanity on January 03, 2018, 03:37:01 pm
How is it that he can't get wide open 3's but so many times hog opponents can?

One thing is we lose containment more than we should. And Jones is looking to be totally one dimensional. He has to add to his game or he will not get many open looks. .

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Paul on January 03, 2018, 01:11:04 pm
in close games it always comes down to half court basketball

...which has never been MA's strength, and a big part of that is that he's yet to have a difference maker at PG.  Nolan had Mayberry, and then Beck...and those were the teams that had they ability to run AND play half court. 

There are several things to point toward that need to improve, and the FT % has to go up.  I know at least part of that is due primarily to Gafford, but we're still not as solid from the line in the clutch as we were last year. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

SultanofSwine

As bad as the officiating was and as poorly as some of our guys played, at the end of the day if we make our free throws we win. Not sure what happened between last year and this year but we do not seem to be shooting FT near as well. Gaffers esp needs to be working diligently on FTs because he could easily be adding 6-8 points a game that he is leaving on the court.

Hollywood_HOGan45

I also thought mike should have raised hell. He's usually pretty good about getting into the officials. Just not last night.

okrazorback

Quote from: Jzilla on January 02, 2018, 10:34:29 pm
Mike is nowhere near the coach that Nolan was and never will be!!

That is for sure.