Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

23-12 right on Mike Anderson's career avg

Started by Atlhogfan1, March 16, 2018, 04:35:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Atlhogfan1

per season.  This is the norm.  Will be good enough for some and not for others.  What a great place to be.

7 seasons, 3 NCAATs, 2 NCAAT wins, 2 double digit NCAAT losses

Last time we had this many double digit losses in one season?  In the regular season, we tied Pel's season two. 

Keep watching I guess as Lets' would say.  Or not.  Whatever.

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

99toLife

Ironhawg

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 16, 2018, 04:35:49 pm
per season.  This is the norm.  Will be good enough for some and not for others.  What a great place to be.

Last time we had this many double digit losses in one season?  In the regular season, we tied Pel's season two. 

One more stat; zero championships of any kind.  I think we have seen Mike's peak here at Arkansas.  The sad thing is he is not going to be fired.  He is going to continue rolling along, continue being middle of the pack in the conference, make the tournament each year with a first or second round exit.  Everybody is going to do what they want and what their heart tells them, but I have no confidence in Mike to get Arkansas any further than he has so I see no reason to get terribly excited going forward.

revolution

Key word here is AVERAGE!

BroyledNutts

March 16, 2018, 04:52:41 pm #4 Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 12:05:50 pm by BroyledNutts

cityhog

7 seasons, 3 NCAATs, 2 NCAAT wins

This is what absolutely chokes me. We fired Stan Heath for similar results, did we not.

2 NCAA wins. 7 seasons. Sorry. NOT. GOOD. ENOUGH.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: cityhog on March 16, 2018, 04:53:00 pm

This is what absolutely chokes me. We fired Stan Heath for similar results, did we not.

Stan was 0-2.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

cityhog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 16, 2018, 04:57:27 pm
Stan was 0-2.

my bad. The suck that is Razorback basketball over the last 25 years tends to all blend together.

kiddhog

Average Margin of loss this year was 15 pts per game !

247Hog

Have we gone as far into the Big Dance with CMA as we did with Coach Pelphrey?
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

99toLife

Quote from: kiddhog on March 16, 2018, 05:11:01 pm
Average Margin of loss this year was 15 pts per game !

That is the Killer stat right there, Teams can have a couple of those a year, avg that is ridiculous.

hogsanity

Quote from: 247Hog on March 16, 2018, 05:15:27 pm
Have we gone as far into the Big Dance with CMA as we did with Coach Pelphrey?

Yes, yes we have.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

oldbooniehog

And these very average results are the absolute pinnacle for the Hogs with Anderson.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: cityhog on March 16, 2018, 04:53:00 pm

Never won in the tournament and also had 4 losing seasons in the SEC in 5 years.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

code red

Quote from: Ironhawg on March 16, 2018, 04:46:27 pm
One more stat; zero championships of any kind.  I think we have seen Mike's peak here at Arkansas.  The sad thing is he is not going to be fired.  He is going to continue rolling along, continue being middle of the pack in the conference, make the tournament each year with a first or second round exit.  Everybody is going to do what they want and what their heart tells them, but I have no confidence in Mike to get Arkansas any further than he has so I see no reason to get terribly excited going forward.
Mike knows he is taken care of for the next 2 years.  He will continue to do the same sh*?t everyone else has figured out how to stop. Lazy coaching.  Remember.  We probably should have started the season 0-5 in SEC play.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

The_Iceman

labb

You guys are really funny. Does bitching on a message board make you feel any better. If you want to get something done then do it the way that has some impact. Call and write or e mail the proper folks in the school> What you are doing here makes you look like just a bunch of whinny babies.

hobhog

Next year will be ugly. Fans will have zero patience and he has to rebuild. Be prepared...

hobhog

Quote from: labb on March 18, 2018, 07:29:41 am
You guys are really funny. Does bitching on a message board make you feel any better. If you want to get something done then do it the way that has some impact. Call and write or e mail the proper folks in the school> What you are doing here makes you look like just a bunch of whinny babies.

Does whining about the whining help?

labb

You must be at the top of the whinny baby list.

ChicoHog

Quote from: Ironhawg on March 16, 2018, 04:46:27 pm
This post should be stickied, made into a bumper sticker, used by everyone as their signature line, etc.,  It sums up Arkansas basketball under Mike Anderson.  The epitome just doing enough to keep your job.   Come on Hunter!  Pull the trigger next year!  Go get Chris Beard.  Or Eric Musselman.  Or anyone else!

steveaustin69

I stopped my donations under Bielema. When they come around requesting money again they won't get a dime as long as Anderson is the coach. You're on a message board and our coach sucks. Did you really expect no complaining?

HogBreath

Quote from: ChicoHog on March 18, 2018, 01:13:05 pm

I do like french fries but I have never made them except the frozen ones on a baking sheet in our oven. 

Wouldn't those be french bakes?
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

ShadowHawg

It's actually pretty good when you consider he had to rebuild 3 programs that were garbage before he got there.

We set the record for most victories over ranked opponents this season. That was while missing Garland who would have been in the guard rotation. I could not care less about margin in losses. I don't believe in moral victories and that's all margins of defeat are good for.

Margins of victory have been shown to be strong in predicting future success of a team. Margin of defeat is for people who want something to itch about.

How many of you know Pelphrey wouldn't take our job unless he was given 7 seasons to turn it around? This was after Altman fled after seeing just how big a mess the program had become.

7 seasons and we are in better shape. Now it's time to start going to the next level. MA will either do it or be invited to move on.

But there isn't any arguing that he got the program off life support.

hogsanity

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 18, 2018, 03:34:51 pm

Now it's time to start going to the next level. MA will either do it or be invited to move on.

BUt thats the issue, how long does he get. SOme of you would give him eternity to do it.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

sickboy

Quote from: hobhog on March 18, 2018, 09:24:32 am
Next year will be ugly. Fans will have zero patience and he has to rebuild. Be prepared...

He could take next year's team to the tourney and it wouldn't matter. People would say the team could have gone farther.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on March 18, 2018, 04:13:20 pm
BUt thats the issue, how long does he get. SOme of you would give him eternity to do it.

And some of you have complained from day one.

He's established the program. Time to go to the next level. What about that is hard to understand?

Neither you or I get to determine the time frame so I'm not going to sweat it anymore than I did with CBB recently and I thought he stunk from the get go. Live and let live.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 18, 2018, 10:46:20 am
I stopped my donations under Bielema. When they come around requesting money again they won't get a dime as long as Anderson is the coach. You're on a message board and our coach sucks. Did you really expect no complaining?
I did the same, and switched my donations to baseball.
That's all I can do. I'm not rich, but my money counts for something. I don't have much confidence in achieving great things with football and basketball(Bielema no longer  here), so I'll send it to a program that is doing things.

rljjr

Maybe they are. You can write to Hunter Y and wine about the whiners if you wish.

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: sickboy on March 18, 2018, 04:24:37 pm
He could take next year's team to the tourney and it wouldn't matter. People would say the team could have gone farther.
If he made it to the sweet 16, they would just say he should have done it sooner.

steveaustin69

Quote from: From Tusk Till Dawn on March 20, 2018, 10:20:37 am
If he made it to the sweet 16, they would just say he should have done it sooner.

What is the key word? IF. He didn't and he hasn't.

99toLife

Maybe because he hasn't made the sweet 16 in the last 14 years.

hogsanity

If they make the sweet 16 next year, I will say it was quite an accomplishment.

If they do not make the sweet 16 or not even make the NCAAT there are some here who will say " It's okay, they are young, Mike just needs time ".

99toLife

Kevin

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 18, 2018, 03:34:51 pm
It's actually pretty good when you consider he had to rebuild 3 programs that were garbage before he got there.

We set the record for most victories over ranked opponents this season. That was while missing Garland who would have been in the guard rotation. I could not care less about margin in losses. I don't believe in moral victories and that's all margins of defeat are good for.

Margins of victory have been shown to be strong in predicting future success of a team. Margin of defeat is for people who want something to itch about.

How many of you know Pelphrey wouldn't take our job unless he was given 7 seasons to turn it around? This was after Altman fled after seeing just how big a mess the program had become.

7 seasons and we are in better shape. Now it's time to start going to the next level. MA will either do it or be invited to move on.

But there isn't any arguing that he got the program off life support.

so why where those his numbers in year 4 & 5 at Missouri, and now in year 7 at Arkansas. it would seem the program would have been built and humming along.

this is who he is
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Kevin

Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 18, 2018, 09:33:49 pm
And some of you have complained from day one.

He's established the program. Time to go to the next level. What about that is hard to understand?

Neither you or I get to determine the time frame so I'm not going to sweat it anymore than I did with CBB recently and I thought he stunk from the get go. Live and let live.

what some of you don't get, that his numbers prove, there will be no next level. this is it
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

GlassofSwine

Quote from: 99toLife on March 20, 2018, 10:33:19 am
Maybe because he hasn't made the sweet 16 in the last 14 years.

Arkansas hasn't been to the Sweet 16 in 22 years now. Anderson is only responsible for a part of that. 3 other coaches failed as well including Nolan for the last 6 years he was here. Maybe the problem is bigger than Anderson, maybe it has to do with Arkansas.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: GlassofSwine on March 20, 2018, 11:00:30 am
Arkansas hasn't been to the Sweet 16 in 22 years now. Anderson is only responsible for a part of that. 3 other coaches failed as well including Nolan for the last 6 years he was here. Maybe the problem is bigger than Anderson, maybe it has to do with Arkansas.

The job too tough for him? 

99toLife

Actually Mike has made to the sweet 16 one time in the last 14 years, I fixed my original post.

Busta_Nutt

But it's been done before with multiple coaches...so, I don't think it has to do with Arkansas. I think the issue here is a lack of skill development, preparation, and philosophy.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: Busta_Nutt on March 20, 2018, 11:03:49 am
But it's been done before with multiple coaches...so, I don't think it has to do with Arkansas. I think the issue here is a lack of skill development, preparation, and philosophy.

Yeah you know I still think we can win a NC in football because we claimed one in 1964.....

GlassofSwine

steveaustin69

Quote from: GlassofSwine on March 20, 2018, 11:05:43 am
Apparently it is too tough for everyone we hire.

Keep on trying to spin it. Not looking great for you:

Quote from: Busta_Nutt on March 20, 2018, 11:03:49 am

Busta_Nutt

Quote from: GlassofSwine on March 20, 2018, 11:05:20 am
Yeah you know I still think we can win a NC in football because we claimed one in 1964.....

If you can't see the difference between the two then I can't help you. This isn't even comparable.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 20, 2018, 11:09:24 am
Keep on trying to spin it. Not looking great for you:

Actually, life looks quite good for me, I get to WFH and make a nice salary.

You know what doesn't look good Nolan Richardson's last 7 seasons. 19.7 wins on Avg. A 53% winning pct in conference and 2-4 in the NCAA tourney never getting to the Sweet Sixteen. You know what also doesn't look good Pelphrey and Heath's record at Arkansas. So yeah hang your hat that Arkansas was once a good program over 20 years ago.

steveaustin69

Quote from: GlassofSwine on March 20, 2018, 11:13:39 am
Actually, life looks quite good for me, I get to WFH and make a nice salary.

You know what doesn't look good Nolan Richardson's last 7 seasons. 19.7 wins on Avg. A 53% winning pct in conference and 2-4 in the NCAA tourney never getting to the Sweet Sixteen. You know what also doesn't look good Pelphrey and Heath's record at Arkansas. So yeah hang your hat that Arkansas was once a good program over 20 years ago.

I don't care what you do or where you work from. You insinuated no one can win here. That's false.

You're still trying to spin things; no s$%& our last twenty years aren't great. Does that mean we should be satisfied with the average level of success Anderson has produced because "well at least it's better than our absolute worst?"

GlassofSwine

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 20, 2018, 11:17:58 am
I don't care what you do or where you work from. You insinuated no one can win here. That's false.

You're still trying to spin things; no s$%& our last twenty years aren't great. Does that mean we should be satisfied with the average level of success Anderson has produced because "well at least it's better than our absolute worst?"

Do you realize that Arkansas's successful string of years in Basketball was a 20 year period? (76 to 96) We have been irrelevant in our recent history longer now than we were relevant.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: GlassofSwine on March 20, 2018, 11:20:33 am
Do you realize that Arkansas's successful string of years in Basketball was a 20 year period? (76 to 96) We have been irrelevant in our recent history longer now than we were relevant.

Mike has a much bigger role in the irrelevant seasons.  Asst head coach last 5 of Nolan and head coach for 7 seasons.
You believe this is our program's ceiling now.  Like I said in the OP, this is good enough for some.  For others, not much worth the effort to pay attention if this is it. 

steveaustin69

Quote from: GlassofSwine on March 20, 2018, 11:20:33 am

Keep spinning it, man. I'll ask you this:

Is it unreasonable to expect: 1) build a fence around the state and get one to two top 75 players from out of state scholarships permitting every year 2) have D1 level defensive rotations to not allow wide open 3s 3) have your bigs put a butt on a man when a shot goes up (box out) 4) game plan for your opponent; take away their best player; don't only "focus on what you do"

If these things happened do we win a national championship? Probably not. That is very, very hard to do.  Would we have significantly more success? Yes.

If you think this is an unreasonable expectation I vehemently disagree.

azhog10

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 20, 2018, 11:26:03 am

If these things happened do we win a national championship? Probably not. That is very, very hard to do.  Would we have significantly more success? Yes.

Would you still bitch? Yep.......