Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Practice Smactice

Started by twistitup, March 14, 2018, 04:03:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Irwin

One more thing. Back in the days when the media could watch entire practices we mostly stood around and BS'd with each other. I would catch myself doing it and walk off by myself so I could concentrate. Nate and Bob Holt were pretty good about paying attention but they were the exception. A lot of the HS coaches and boosters stood around gabbing too.

So I'll say it. Practice smactice.

twistitup

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 20, 2018, 07:53:44 pm

The only real way to judge progress is to watch entire games.

Great minds think alike.

Go Hogs....Can't wait until game time
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Hawgphat

From all reports I've seen, the intensity level of practices has increased exponentially.  That has to be a good barometer of progress to my way of thinking.

The team practices against one another simply because it's a case of either doing so - or not competitively practicing at all.  How much the preparatory and productivity levels may potentially be accelerated will only be finally realized come next September; - - but I'm extremely hopeful and heartened by the pervasive new mood which has seized the team as a whole.

Al Boarland

Quote from: Hawgphat on March 21, 2018, 12:06:49 am
From all reports I've seen, the intensity level of practices has increased exponentially.  That has to be a good barometer of progress to my way of thinking.

The team practices against one another simply because it's a case of either doing so - or not competitively practicing at all.  How much the preparatory and productivity levels may potentially be accelerated will only be finally realized come next September; - - but I'm extremely hopeful and heartened by the pervasive new mood which has seized the team as a whole.

Something tells me we could dig up reports from when CBB started about how intense and physical practices were.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Al Boarland on March 21, 2018, 02:20:59 am
Something tells me we could dig up reports from when CBB started about how intense and physical practices were.

That's a safe bet.
Hogs up! Covid down!

twistitup

Quote from: Al Boarland on March 21, 2018, 02:20:59 am

There are lots of reports we could dig up and laugh about when it comes to CBB - it's just too easy and not productive

Hawgphat

If this current roster of players (which will include the incoming freshmen) collectively expend a 100% effort to do whatever it takes to acquit themselves with the highest possible degree of preparation,knowledge, skill, efficiency and proficiency, - - then how could any true fan lambaste and deride the first year results generated by those now involved in this program?  That would seem to me to be inherently and unreasonably unfair and unrealistic.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: twistitup on March 21, 2018, 11:07:43 am
There are lots of reports we could dig up and laugh about when it comes to CBB - it's just too easy and not productive
You wouldn't have to dig far. Try last spring.

Look, the issue is not that practice is unimportant. The issue is whether or not fans can learn anything about what this team is going to do on the field this fall by reading practice reports generated by the media.

I say not much.

Fans don't have a lot to talk about until the first game so I can understand why some place a lot of weight on such reports. It's also a form of entertainment. But what is said by coaches, players and reporters doesn't win football games. It's just talk. If there are serious issues how often to you hear a coach or player say, We're gonna stink?

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 21, 2018, 09:26:28 pm
You wouldn't have to dig far. Try last spring.

Look, the issue is not that practice is unimportant. The issue is whether or not fans can learn anything about what this team is going to do on the field this fall by reading practice reports generated by the media.

I say not much.

Fans don't have a lot to talk about until the first game so I can understand why some place a lot of weight on such reports. It's also a form of entertainment. But what is said by coaches, players and reporters doesn't win football games. It's just talk. If there are serious issues how often to you hear a coach or player say, We're gonna stink?

You got the cliff notes?
This is my non-signature signature.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on March 21, 2018, 09:30:01 pm
You got the cliff notes?
Sure. The narrative last spring was all about....finishing. You know, they didn't finish the second halves of the Missouri and Virginia Tech games so every drill, every practice was about finishing. Plus there was a lot of talk about leadership issues being corrected. Bielema talked about nobody missing weight room sessions or showing up late for practice. Everybody was on the same page. We reported what he said but how would any of us know if it was true?

liljo

...so...are any of you going to the R-W game April 7? Prolly not...since it is, after all, just practice...

Oh well, guess I'll just sit up there in the stands with the 10 or so I'm rollin' with. Should be plenty of good seats at least.

Slow down, son. You'll ride past a lot more good stuff than you'll ever catch up to.

Ugly Uncle

Here is a thread I started on April 3, 2014

The title was:  Brief practice report from today

(I would like to point out that Bret liked to keep many practices closed.  It was frustrating because that was kind of my thing...doing practice reports.  I don't think I pumped sunshine or was just fluff.  I remember I took quite a bit of heat over saying AC looked pregnant.)

"Well, there is a reason Alex Collins has been in trouble.  He is out of shape.   When I say out of shape he almost looks pregnant.  I thought during warm ups he was going to have a heart attack.  However, when he had the ball in his hands he didn't look like he had lost speed or quickness.  Just amazing how fast he still is and how quick.  But he would be so out of breath after a couple of plays he would have to walk back to sidelines with his hands on his hips.

DJ Dean is the opposite of that.  He has put on some good weight and at first I thought he was a LB.  He looks faster than last year and will be a player for us if he keeps progressing.

All the QBs looked "okay" today.  Brandon Allen is much better than the other4.  Austin looked pretty good today and Derby looks brilliant about every third throw.

Hatcher, Wilson, Cornelius, and Hollister had great days today.  Sprinkle caught e everything around him and is a mismatch on whoever tries to cover him.

Dan Skipper knows what he is doing.  It seemed like he was directing traffic a lot out there today.

I'm on my phone and out tonight but will answer any questions I can."

Retired Radio Host

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 21, 2018, 09:37:38 pm
Sure. The narrative last spring was all about....finishing. You know, they didn't finish the second halves of the Missouri and Virginia Tech games so every drill, every practice was about finishing. Plus there was a lot of talk about leadership issues being corrected. Bielema talked about nobody missing weight room sessions or showing up late for practice. Everybody was on the same page. We reported what he said but how would any of us know if it was true?

Remember when many of us thought that it wouldn't be so bad that he closed practices because he was so honest?  Not saying he was dishonest...just naive.
Retired Radio Host

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on March 21, 2018, 09:54:30 pm
Remember when many of us thought that it wouldn't be so bad that he closed practices because he was so honest?  Not saying he was dishonest...just naive.
Ched if we saw every practice from beginning to end and we were really paying attention then it would be different. But most of the time we have to rely on what they tell us and it is not usually  in their best interest to provide the complete unvarnished truth.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 21, 2018, 09:58:16 pm
Ched if we saw every practice from beginning to end and we were really paying attention then it would be different. But most of the time we have to rely on what they tell us and it is not usually  in their best interest to provide the complete unvarnished truth.

Totally agree.  What many on here may not realize is that even the players are coached on what to say to the media.  To talk a lot without saying anything.  I don't know if the knew guy was that way but Zack Higbee was big on players watching every word.
Retired Radio Host

redeye

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on March 21, 2018, 10:00:34 pm
Totally agree.  What many on here may not realize is that even the players are coached on what to say to the media.  To talk a lot without saying anything.  I don't know if the knew guy was that way but Zack Higbee was big on players watching every word.

Well, practice reports are all most of us have and I thoroughly enjoyed yours during the Petirno era.  I also enjoy Mike's reports.  I, for one, appreciate hearing your unvarnished opinions, which have always been more important to me than what the coaches and players say.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: redeye on March 21, 2018, 11:20:03 pm
Well, practice reports are all most of us have and I thoroughly enjoyed yours during the Petirno era.  I also enjoy Mike's reports.  I, for one, appreciate hearing your unvarnished opinions, which have always been more important to me than what the coaches and players say.

Petrino occasionally shut off practices.  Bret did it on the regular.  Can't say that I don't understand it, but it kept the fans from getting the real story.

The main thing we tried to do was speak to what the players were doing, not formations or schemes.  That kept us clean and in good standing with the coaches.  Sadly, they closed the practices anyway and all we got was their take on it.
Retired Radio Host

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on March 21, 2018, 11:28:20 pm
Petrino occasionally shut off practices.  Bret did it on the regular.  Can't say that I don't understand it, but it kept the fans from getting the real story.

The main thing we tried to do was speak to what the players were doing, not formations or schemes.  That kept us clean and in good standing with the coaches.  Sadly, they closed the practices anyway and all we got was their take on it.
You guys keep up the good work.  I enjoy hearing from both you and Mike.  Especially when you both tell the down and dirty truth.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on March 21, 2018, 11:28:20 pm

In my experience from the outside looking in, it appears to me that practices are open when the team is looking polished, and closed when they need to, umm, control the narrative, so to speak.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

twistitup

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on March 22, 2018, 10:00:12 am
In my experience from the outside looking in, it appears to me that practices are open when the team is looking polished, and closed when they need to, umm, control the narrative, so to speak.

I'm ready to look polished on Saturdays in the fall

RME

Quote from: twistitup on March 22, 2018, 11:45:54 am
I'm ready to look polished on Saturdays in the fall

Why wait til then?

twistitup

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on March 22, 2018, 12:43:34 pm
Why wait til then?

Polished during practice, we're talking about practice again?

Just win.

liljo

...and here I thought we were going to have a great crowd at WMS for the R-W game. Thought We The People were going to make a statement:
"GO HOGS! Buy into to Coach Morris' system! We support you all the way! Work hard! We are here for you!"

I guess we'll amend that to the first fall game, where we can show up and say, "OK, we're here. What'cha got?"

:-\
Slow down, son. You'll ride past a lot more good stuff than you'll ever catch up to.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: twistitup on March 22, 2018, 01:04:34 pm
Polished during practice, we're talking about practice again?

Just win.

Well...since there won't be any games for a while still...what are we suppose to talk about other than Bret's house that hit the market and practices?
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

twistitup

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on March 24, 2018, 09:34:35 am
Well...since there won't be any games for a while still...what are we suppose to talk about other than Bret's house that hit the market and practices?

Don't leave it up to me...but making up things about a team we haven't seem play doesn't seem productive.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 20, 2018, 08:00:24 pm
One more thing. Back in the days when the media could watch entire practices we mostly stood around and BS'd with each other. I would catch myself doing it and walk off by myself so I could concentrate. Nate and Bob Holt were pretty good about paying attention but they were the exception. A lot of the HS coaches and boosters stood around gabbing too.

So I'll say it. Practice smactice.

So Mike what can we get out of the practice reports?  When the Press gets to watch practice what can you tell us good or bad about the team and the new Coaching staff?    What really stands out?

Al Boarland

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on March 24, 2018, 09:50:44 am
So Mike what can we get out of the practice reports?  When the Press gets to watch practice what can you tell us good or bad about the team and the new Coaching staff?    What really stands out?

We are in the unique situation where the press, for the most part, are fans of the Razorbacks. You have to take that into consideration when reading reports.

Buff

Quote from: Al Boarland on March 24, 2018, 02:19:28 pm
We are in the unique situation where the press, for the most part, are fans of the Razorbacks. You have to take that into consideration when reading reports.

Glad you put that part in to account for Wally

Hawgphat

Quote from: liljo on March 24, 2018, 09:14:20 am
...and here I thought we were going to have a great crowd at WMS for the R-W game. Thought We The People were going to make a statement:
"GO HOGS! Buy into to Coach Morris' system! We support you all the way! Work hard! We are here for you!"

I guess we'll amend that to the first fall game, where we can show up and say, "OK, we're here. What'cha got?"

:-\

IMHO, that is exactly what the overwhelming preponderance of game-attending Razorback fans are going to do.  A great many fans don't appear to involve themselves in preseason practices, drills, preparatory procedures and showcased "demonstrations" or "exhibitions", - reserving their attentive focus for the advent of "the real deal" at the crunch time initiation, - - - when it will actually count in the record book.  That attitude is perhaps a reflection of prevailing human nature.  Whether or not that particular functional attitude is unworthy of "true fans" is a matter of personal perspective and judgement.

liljo

Quote from: Hawgphat on March 24, 2018, 05:28:36 pm
IMHO, that is exactly what the overwhelming preponderance of game-attending Razorback fans are going to do.  A great many fans don't appear to involve themselves in preseason practices, drills, preparatory procedures and showcased "demonstrations" or "exhibitions", - reserving their attentive focus for the advent of "the real deal" at the crunch time initiation, - - - when it will actually count in the record book.  That attitude is perhaps a reflection of prevailing human nature.  Whether or not that particular functional attitude is unworthy of "true fans" is a matter of personal perspective and judgement.

Sadly, I agree. And that has caused us to be the path someplace else. If a coach comes here and overcomes the "fan" negativity, and has decent success, he'll take the first "better" offer that comes along. He knows that if he has one down year, even a bad half (Hatfield's last second loss to Texas), many fans here will turn like snakes.

Funny thing is, I never knew how bad it was until I joined Hogville. I only met fans in person, at tailgate parties and games. I thought we were a special breed, and if a coach came here and won big, there'd be magic in These Blessed Hills.

I really hoped we'd be more unified and get behind this team with the new staff. That we'd be there for them early and often so when they started winning, maybe they'd fall in love with the place and we could be good for many years to come. I get it now. We're just like everybody else. Nothin' special.

Practice smactice...Hogville Smogville.

Al Boarland

Quote from: liljo on March 25, 2018, 10:35:23 am
Sadly, I agree. And that has caused us to be the path someplace else. If a coach comes here and overcomes the "fan" negativity, and has decent success, he'll take the first "better" offer that comes along. He knows that if he has one down year, even a bad half (Hatfield's last second loss to Texas), many fans here will turn like snakes.

Funny thing is, I never knew how bad it was until I joined Hogville. I only met fans in person, at tailgate parties and games. I thought we were a special breed, and if a coach came here and won big, there'd be magic in These Blessed Hills.

I really hoped we'd be more unified and get behind this team with the new staff. That we'd be there for them early and often so when they started winning, maybe they'd fall in love with the place and we could be good for many years to come. I get it now. We're just like everybody else. Nothin' special.

Welcome to reality. Human nature is human nature. State lines aren't magical fences creating superior people.

liljo

Quote from: Al Boarland on March 25, 2018, 10:40:38 am
Welcome to reality. Human nature is human nature. State lines aren't magical fences creating superior people.

Let me lay a little reality on you as well. 

The internet has created a whole new breed. Once somebody states they don't like a coach, it becomes their theme, and they just have to stay with it.  They'll say all manner of things online, rude things' things they'd never say in person. For example, one poster here remarked that Cornelius' injury is the type thing that happens to unconditioned obese people who try to play sports. Reality: the same guy is standing, alone, on an empty street with Cornelius standing in front of him. His mouth suddenly doesn't work.

Reality: In my life I've met so many like that. When they were with friends and had "the numbers" they were so very brave. But later, with no backup, their courage melted away. Don't come on the internet and try to school me about reality, man.

Every post I make, I review. Would I say the same things out loud in the presence of all involved. Some of the remarks I've read on Hogville, in Real Life, would result in teeth flying out of ear holes. Bet.

Al Boarland

Quote from: liljo on March 25, 2018, 10:58:08 am
Let me lay a little reality on you as well. 

The internet has created a whole new breed. Once somebody states they don't like a coach, it becomes their theme, and they just have to stay with it.  They'll say all manner of things online, rude things' things they'd never say in person. For example, one poster here remarked that Cornelius' injury is the type thing that happens to unconditioned obese people who try to play sports. Reality: the same guy is standing, alone, on an empty street with Cornelius standing in front of him. His mouth suddenly doesn't work.

Reality: In my life I've met so many like that. When they were with friends and had "the numbers" they were so very brave. But later, with no backup, their courage melted away. Don't come on the internet and try to school me about reality, man.

Every post I make, I review. Would I say the same things out loud in the presence of all involved. Some of the remarks I've read on Hogville, in Real Life, would result in teeth flying out of ear holes. Bet.

I agree completely. Message boards provide a shield of anonymity. That leads to more bold statements.

Nashville Fan

Quote from: twistitup on March 21, 2018, 11:07:43 am
the first year of no two a day contact practices.
Pittman or Bust!

twistitup

I only met fans in person, at tailgate parties and games. I thought we were a special breed, and if a coach came here and won big, there'd be magic in These Blessed Hills.

If you think I'm not behind the team - you would be wrong. I'm not behind picking apart every move from here until fall, but I AM in the mood to see a good product on the field. It is exciting our program is heading in a new direction - fans will be behind it.

I will not live life daily picking apart practice reports - practice smactice

Most fans feel duped by the previous staff and it's human nature to be somewhat 'standoffish' when it comes to the program in general...not bad fans - just a natural human reaction. Asking fans to blindly buy in 100% after what just happened the last 5 years is not realistic.

oldhawg

...If a coach comes here and overcomes the "fan" negativity, and has decent success, he'll take the first "better" offer that comes along....

I am having problems remembering the last coach at Arkansas who took "the first better offer that came along."  Perhaps you can remind me.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on March 24, 2018, 09:50:44 am
We don't see that much. There has been one open scrimmage and another one is set for this week although because of the stadium construction everything is done on the practice fields where it's hard to see.

So far I'd say the tight ends have been the biggest success story. They are extremely important in Morris' offense. So much so that he says his offense was limited at SMU because he didn't have the tight ends he needed.   

Kelley has put up some good numbers at QB but Craddock has mentioned that he doesn't yet have a grasp of the offense that allows the "hammer down" philosophy that Morris wants. Morris has said several times that they need to go faster.

The running backs have looked pretty good. Hammonds opened a closed practice scrimmage right before spring break with an 80 TD yard run. The O-linemen were pumped up about that.

There appears to have been a decent give and take between offense and defense so far. Chavis never gets specific but he seems to be pretty happy to date. I haven't been around him enough to know if he's a straight shooter when it comes to problems. Some coaches aren't comfortable telling reporters, "we suck." Other's (like Reggie Herring) complain all the time.

Mjs84

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 20, 2018, 07:53:44 pm
You may can tell a lot from a practice but nobody except the staff and those allowed to watch on a consistent basis see enough of practice to learn much.

The media fakes it a lot. We'll take what we see (which is very little) and take what the coaches and players say at face value and offer opinions.

The only real way to judge progress is to watch entire games.

Ya but it's easy to tell when the media is faking.  Also, you can guage what the coaches are talking about during ther interviews.  Are they truly excited, or are they just answering questions.  You have to look for substance in ways that apply to the football field.  If you watch enough ESPN, you learn how much of it is just BS.  Think Trey Young and the Oklahoma Sooners.  They were never a top 5 team, and we know that here because we beat them in Portland.  Maybe he's a good player, but the whole team is what matters, and we see what happened there.  All we needed to look at was one game, injuries and suspensions included.  Show me one practice and I can tell you what you should know.

ricepig

Quote from: Mjs84 on March 25, 2018, 03:33:39 pm
Ya but it's easy to tell when the media is faking.  Also, you can guage what the coaches are talking about during ther interviews.  Are they truly excited, or are they just answering questions.  You have to look for substance in ways that apply to the football field.  If you watch enough ESPN, you learn how much of it is just BS.  Think Trey Young and the Oklahoma Sooners.  They were never a top 5 team, and we know that here because we beat them in Portland.  Maybe he's a good player, but the whole team is what matters, and we see what happened there.  All we needed to look at was one game, injuries and suspensions included.  Show me one practice and I can tell you what you should know.

Well, if you're a RF member, just show up for one of the last practices and watch, then you can tell us all.

nchogg

Practice is teaching. After fall practice is over and we play our first game then I might have some insight. Really not until we play Auburn. Then we will see how this team plays each quarter and finishes games. Our three warmup's will also be exciting but we all know is production playing SEC games. I want us to be more that a .500 wins in the SEC. As I tell Florida SEC fans is that I want us out of the bottom of the SEC West and say it with a smile on my face. I get no flack from the Bama or Auburn fans which are heavy here. They always hate to play us because of injuries to their players. Those are not my words but there's. Go Hogs!

bphi11ips

Quote from: nchogg on March 25, 2018, 04:40:01 pm
Practice is teaching. After fall practice is over and we play our first game then I might have some insight. Really not until we play Auburn. Then we will see how this team plays each quarter and finishes games. Our three warmup's will also be exciting but we all know is production playing SEC games. I want us to be more that a .500 wins in the SEC. As I tell Florida SEC fans is that I want us out of the bottom of the SEC West and say it with a smile on my face. I get no flack from the Bama or Auburn fans which are heavy here. They always hate to play us because of injuries to their players. Those are not my words but there's. Go Hogs!

They used to hate to play us because we beat them half the time.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Mjs84 on March 25, 2018, 03:33:39 pm
Ya but it's easy to tell when the media is faking.  Also, you can guage what the coaches are talking about during ther interviews.  Are they truly excited, or are they just answering questions.  You have to look for substance in ways that apply to the football field.  If you watch enough ESPN, you learn how much of it is just BS.  Think Trey Young and the Oklahoma Sooners.  They were never a top 5 team, and we know that here because we beat them in Portland.  Maybe he's a good player, but the whole team is what matters, and we see what happened there.  All we needed to look at was one game, injuries and suspensions included. Show me one practice and I can tell you what you should know.
That's a pretty bold claim. I watched all of Arkansas' Thursday practice in Detroit. They looked great. Mike scrimmaged them with two evenly split teams and I was impressed with both. The defense was good. The shooting was lights out. Before the game the next day I said I thought they would play well. The opposite ended up being true.  Practice smactice.

Hawgphat

I may be somewhat of an anomaly, - but my thoughts, opinions and convictions are not shaped by other posters on this board or any other board.  Those who have an agenda to promote, - - or who merely use a message board as a medium by which to vent and blow off a little steam - - have easy access to self expression via the message boards - - - with no inherent compulsion whatsoever to justify their assumed positions or worded declarations.

Understanding that prevailing general propensity on the part of members whose views are widely divergent, I try to be philosophical about the differing perspectives and rationales represented here.  At the very least, the kaleidoscope of represented views makes for intriguing reading.

This site has also provoked more than a few chuckles - - - (including  perhaps a number of rather unintended ones).

liljo

Quote from: twistitup on March 25, 2018, 12:10:29 pm
If you think I'm not behind the team - you would be wrong. I'm not behind picking apart every move from here until fall, but I AM in the mood to see a good product on the field. It is exciting our program is heading in a new direction - fans will be behind it.

I will not live life daily picking apart practice reports - practice smactice

Most fans feel duped by the previous staff and it's human nature to be somewhat 'standoffish' when it comes to the program in general...not bad fans - just a natural human reaction. Asking fans to blindly buy in 100% after what just happened the last 5 years is not realistic.

Twist: I know you love those Hogs, man. Of that, I have no doubt. But I do believe a clean slate is needed. To blame the current staff, even a little bit, for the failings of the past staff--or the failings of the program ever, is unfair. They had absolutely nothing to do with it.

The Arkansas Razorbacks, particularly in football, have only been truly great, on a national level, a handful of times in my lifetime. But when they were--man it was a ton of fun. With every major change, I always feel like there's a chance they can load up and be great again. I back 'em 100% until proven otherwise, especially when the hard work and effort is obvious.

In fact, even though people I respect and that are close to the program say otherwise, it was the appearance of laziness and lack of effort that turned me against the previous staff. It was more that than even the losses.

I hope a whole bunch of people come out for the R-W game and show this team Arkansas' fans are worth playing for.

Hawgphat

Quote from: liljo on March 25, 2018, 06:24:08 pm
Twist: I know you love those Hogs, man. Of that, I have no doubt. But I do believe a clean slate is needed. To blame the current staff, even a little bit, for the failings of the past staff--or the failings of the program ever, is unfair. They had absolutely nothing to do with it.

The Arkansas Razorbacks, particularly in football, have only been truly great, on a national level, a handful of times in my lifetime. But when they were--man it was a ton of fun. With every major change, I always feel like there's a chance they can load up and be great again. I back 'em 100% until proven otherwise, especially when the hard work and effort is obvious.

In fact, even though people I respect and that are close to the program say otherwise, it was the appearance of laziness and lack of effort that turned me against the previous staff. It was more that than even the losses.

I hope a whole bunch of people come out for the R-W game and show this team Arkansas' fans are worth playing for.

Kudos to you, liljo.  I appreciate your obvious capacity for fairness and your willingness to reserve judgement.  That was very well stated.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: twistitup on March 24, 2018, 09:40:39 am
Don't leave it up to me...but making up things about a team we haven't seem play doesn't seem productive.

So it's not up to you what we ARE to talk about, but you are fussing about what you think we're NOT to talk about. Gotcha...
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

DLUXHOG

Quote from: liljo on March 15, 2018, 08:50:09 am
Well...I enjoy the practice reports......

And no one gave better practice reports than UU....   ever!.....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Mjs84

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 25, 2018, 04:55:24 pm
That's a pretty bold claim. I watched all of Arkansas' Thursday practice in Detroit. They looked great. Mike scrimmaged them with two evenly split teams and I was impressed with both. The defense was good. The shooting was lights out. Before the game the next day I said I thought they would play well. The opposite ended up being true.  Practice smactice.

The basketball hogs havnt been impressive in a long time.  You were easily duped.  Save some Kool aide for next year.

Mjs84

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 25, 2018, 04:55:24 pm

And I apologize, I realize this is "the Mike Irwin", but you just have to know what direction your team is trending based on the rest of the league.  Could have told you JLS team with qb Tyler Wilson pretty season #8 would be a flop based on the first game of the season.

liljo

Quote from: Hawgphat on March 25, 2018, 07:02:28 pm
Kudos to you, liljo.  I appreciate your obvious capacity for fairness and your willingness to reserve judgement.  That was very well stated.

I appreciate that very much.
Go Hogs!