Will Gragg

Started by snoot hoggy hog, March 11, 2018, 03:00:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

snoot hoggy hog

Could this be his breakout year?

hawginbigd1

Quote from: snoot hoggy hog on March 11, 2018, 03:00:35 pm
Could this be his breakout year?
Idk sure seems to be a lot of depth for anyone to have a breakout year at TE. Maybe he, o Grady, and Bell can all be breakout players this year and live up to their recruiting ranks.

bennyl08

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on March 11, 2018, 03:39:54 pm
Idk sure seems to be a lot of depth for anyone to have a breakout year at TE. Maybe he, o Grady, and Bell can all be breakout players this year and live up to their recruiting ranks.

I'd say O'Grady already has broken out. Just that we have a lot of depth so he isn't going to put up gaudy numbers. He was tied for third on the team in receptions last season.

Bell looked to be ready to break out last season before his injury and appears to have picked up right where he left off this off-season.

I think a breakout year for Gragg would be something like two to three hundred yards receiving with the TE's total combining for say 1k yards.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

kodiakisland

Hard to say since we really don't know how our big TEs will fit into the offensive scheme.  I doubt any have what would be considered a big year, but a couple should have a successful year.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

onebadrubi

I'm going to say what most are thinking, the talent at WR and TE are as deep as we've seen at some time.  It will be difficult for their to be enough balls to go around to feed everyone.  It will be interesting to see how Morris handles just that.  Patton I bet makes a huge push for that starting TE slot, I could see O Grady getting some packages as a spread out wide guy with still a TE on the line, and Gregg showed some really good flashes and impressed when the overweight previously regime allowed him a chance.  I also think Gunter is still a weapon as well. 

RebelW

Bell is playing DE not TE

CDBHawg

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 11, 2018, 05:26:32 pm
I'd say O'Grady already has broken out. Just that we have a lot of depth so he isn't going to put up gaudy numbers. He was tied for third on the team in receptions last season.

Bell looked to be ready to break out last season before his injury and appears to have picked up right where he left off this off-season.

I think a breakout year for Gragg would be something like two to three hundred yards receiving with the TE's total combining for say 1k yards.

It'd be great, but it's wishful thinking.

SMU's TEs had 4 receptions last year for 75yds.

Arthur pigby sellers.

Quote from: CDBHawg on March 11, 2018, 09:19:30 pm

First spring scrimmage stats: 5 receptions by TE and 3 TD.  It's very early but looks like Morris plans on using the TE's at Arkansas

Cheyenne O'Grady 2-33, TD
Jordan Jones 1-28
Jeremy Patton 2-23, TD
Mike Woods 1-17
Tobias Enlow 3-48
Maleek Williams 2-11
Will Gragg 1-6, TD
Brandon Martin 1-4

prattville pig

Life's too short to last long.

snoot hoggy hog

Quote from: prattville pig on March 11, 2018, 11:02:25 pm
Where is Cantrell?

Better blocker than pass catcher, so you may see him in the backfield more than the others.

razorback44

Quote from: CDBHawg on March 11, 2018, 09:19:30 pm

Complete TE stats over his college coaching career.

2010 - Tulsa:  6 catches for 64 yards and 2 TDs.
2011 - Clemson:  64 catches for 776 yards and 10 TDs.
2012 - Clemson:  54 catches for 608 yards and 11 TDs.
2013 - Clemson:  22 catches for 243 yards and 2 TDs. 
2014 - Clemson:  31 catches for 381 yards and 3 TDs. 
2015 - SMU:  19 catches for 290 yards and 4 TDs.
2016 - SMU:  18 catches for 188 yards and 3 TDs.
2017 - SMU:  4 catches for 75 yards and 2 TDs.
"No force and no man can abolish memory"  FDR

Hog_Fink

Morris will use the talent available & cater play calls to our strengths. We are strong at TE. Can create a lot of mismatches

mckinneyhog5

Doubt any TE has a breakout regardless of what anyone here says..
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: razorback44 on March 12, 2018, 12:34:08 am

Based on 11 game season
2010- 0.54 catches/5.8 yds/0.18 tds
2011- 5.8 catches/70.5 yards/0.91 tds
2012- 4.9 Catches/55 yards/1 TD/
2013- 2 catches/22 yards/0.18
2014- 2.8 catches/34.6 yards/0.27 tds
2015- 1.7 catches/26.3yards/0.36 tds
2016- 1.6 catches/17 yards/0.27 tds
2017- 0.36 catches/6.82 yards/0.18 tds

totals- 2.48 catches a game/29.82 yards a game/ 0.42 tds a game.

As many TEs as we have I would think some will transfer.

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

bennyl08

Quote from: razorback44 on March 12, 2018, 12:34:08 am

Probably a lot of people will smite you for posting that, but the truth is the truth.

Of course, there will be debate over what the truth of those numbers are. To me, it shows that he is capable of using the TE to get good offensive numbers, but only 2 years out of 8 are anything to really write home about with the TE's. Tulsa, sure, he was only there one year and you are stuck with what you have. However, looking at Clemson, the longer Morris was there, the less the TE was used. Maybe you argue that the quality of TE's decreased, but that's not a good sign either. That shows that Morris doesn't emphasize recruiting TE's (note that we had 0 TE recruits this season...) or he doesn't develop them. You see the same thing at SMU. The first year, his OC complained that they didn't have any real TE's on the roster. What happens? With 3 full recruiting cycles and off-seasons under his belt, he remedied that problem by virtually ignoring the position altogether.

Presumably, Morris earned more independence the longer he was at Clemson which is an assumption, but something that is pretty common and not exactly going out on a limb assuming. If true, then the more he had control of the offense, the less the TE was used and when he had complete control of the offense as a HC, TE usage dropped to nearly zero.

While Morris has claimed he wants to use the TE here, actions speak louder than words. Of course, that cuts both ways. Because, so far in his actions with our actual players, he has utilized the TE's so far despite having his entire resume show that when given the option he doesn't like to use them. So, for at least as long as we have the talented group of TE's that we currently do, it's reasonable to expect us to have production from the TE's. However, if I'm a HS player, I would be very nervous to commit to Arkansas with Morris as the HC given his history.

Also, I think it's important to have some comparison. Using the same time frame, here's the TE production at the UofA:

2010: 66 rec, 822 yards, 7 tds
2011: 49 rec, 577 yards, 2 tds
2012: 38 rec, 428 yards, 4 tds
2013: 35 rec, 513 yards, 5 tds
2014: 67 rec, 915 yards, 6 tds
2015: 78 rec, 1128 yards, 9 tds
2016: 50 rec, 592 yards, 7 tds
2017: 50 rec, 467 yards, 2 tds
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

HogFoo

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 12, 2018, 03:00:06 am
Probably a lot of people will smite you for posting that, but the truth is the truth.

Of course, there will be debate over what the truth of those numbers are. To me, it shows that he is capable of using the TE to get good offensive numbers, but only 2 years out of 8 are anything to really write home about with the TE's. Tulsa, sure, he was only there one year and you are stuck with what you have. However, looking at Clemson, the longer Morris was there, the less the TE was used. Maybe you argue that the quality of TE's decreased, but that's not a good sign either. That shows that Morris doesn't emphasize recruiting TE's (note that we had 0 TE recruits this season...) or he doesn't develop them. You see the same thing at SMU. The first year, his OC complained that they didn't have any real TE's on the roster. What happens? With 3 full recruiting cycles and off-seasons under his belt, he remedied that problem by virtually ignoring the position altogether.

Presumably, Morris earned more independence the longer he was at Clemson which is an assumption, but something that is pretty common and not exactly going out on a limb assuming. If true, then the more he had control of the offense, the less the TE was used and when he had complete control of the offense as a HC, TE usage dropped to nearly zero.

While Morris has claimed he wants to use the TE here, actions speak louder than words. Of course, that cuts both ways. Because, so far in his actions with our actual players, he has utilized the TE's so far despite having his entire resume show that when given the option he doesn't like to use them. So, for at least as long as we have the talented group of TE's that we currently do, it's reasonable to expect us to have production from the TE's. However, if I'm a HS player, I would be very nervous to commit to Arkansas with Morris as the HC given his history.

Also, I think it's important to have some comparison. Using the same time frame, here's the TE production at the UofA:

2012: 38 rec, 428 yards, 4 tds
2013: 35 rec, 513 yards, 5 tds
2014: 67 rec, 915 yards, 6 tds
2015: 78 rec, 1128 yards, 9 tds
2016: 50 rec, 592 yards, 7 tds
2017: 50 rec, 467 yards, 2 tds
i dont know if Morris has ever had as many highly rated TEs to throw to as he does here at #TEU.  I am like a previous poster and believe that he will use the talent he has.  Which we have a lot at TE.    So far in practice , he has shown that he'll use them.  In last few years our oline has been so bad weve had to keep them in for blocking.  I believe this year, we'll see the TE flourish once again.  I guess we'll find out soon.
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

bennyl08

Quote from: HogFoo on March 12, 2018, 06:46:21 am
i dont know if Morris has ever had as many highly rated TEs to throw to as he does here at #TEU.  I am like a previous poster and believe that he will use the talent he has.  Which we have a lot at TE.    So far in practice , he has shown that he'll use them.  In last few years our oline has been so bad weve had to keep them in for blocking.  I believe this year, we'll see the TE flourish once again.  I guess we'll find out soon.

Like I said, actions speak louder than words and we are seeing the TE be used so far in the spring scrimmage. So that bodes well for the upcoming season. If he keeps that up, it will be good. Though, it does beg the question of what will happen in the future. TE usage has in every place he's been more than a single year has gradually decreased. The more he is able to shape it to be his own, the less he has wanted to use the TE.

Time will ultimately tell.

onebadrubi

Quote from: HogFoo on March 12, 2018, 06:46:21 am

Signs of a good coach are to use the talent available to you.  I believe he has above average talent at TE, so we shall see what he does with it. 

gmarv54

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 12, 2018, 06:56:10 am
Like I said, actions speak louder than words and we are seeing the TE be used so far in the spring scrimmage. So that bodes well for the upcoming season. If he keeps that up, it will be good. Though, it does beg the question of what will happen in the future. TE usage has in every place he's been more than a single year has gradually decreased. The more he is able to shape it to be his own, the less he has wanted to use the TE.

Do you think he will ignore getting kids like the Henry kid?The talent may dictate to him what he does to a point even in the future.I hope we keep getting these legacy kids.

snoot hoggy hog

SEC is a whole different animal. In this league you gotta have some good TE's. The best teams used their tight ends effectively

I believe Morris would find a way to make the Center eligible if he can catch it and make us better.  If our TEs are good enough, they will get the ball someway, somehow.

AirWarren

Quote from: Arthur pigby sellers. on March 11, 2018, 09:53:21 pm
First spring scrimmage stats: 5 receptions by TE and 3 TD.  It's very early but looks like Morris plans on using the TE's at Arkansas

Jordan Jones 1-28
Jeremy Patton 2-23, TD
Mike Woods 1-17
Tobias Enlow 3-48
Maleek Williams 2-11
Will Gragg 1-6, TD
Brandon Martin 1-4

Enlow. Nice.

I imagine he could have a good year. This system fits him well.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Where is Cantrell?
Starting at LT before long hopefully. Ive been saying for a while that hes the next Jason peters. Put a little more weight on him and watch him dominate on the line
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

AirWarren

Where is Cantrell?

Away from catching or running the football hopefully.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: RebelW on March 11, 2018, 08:56:09 pm
Bell is playing DE not TE
he is going to be a star at DE, too./
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

MissippHog

Anyone else's heart skip a beat when they open the page and see only a player's name as a thread title?

hawginbigd1

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 12, 2018, 06:56:10 am

I haven't looked it up but my guess for his high numbers of TE production corresponds with the eligibility of Dwayne Allen, a manchild in college that hasn't really done much in the NFL. He has talented TEs here, i think he will use them.

PorkRinds

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on March 12, 2018, 02:25:54 am
Doubt any TE has a breakout regardless of what anyone here says..

I'd bet you're wrong.

bennyl08

Quote from: gmarv54 on March 12, 2018, 08:01:28 am
Do you think he will ignore getting kids like the Henry kid? The talent may dictate to him what he does to a point even in the future.I hope we keep getting these legacy kids.

I don't know what he will do. All I can do is look at what he has done. I hope we get the next Henry kid and I do believe that Morris will try to recruit him. However, if I'm Henry, I'd be skeptical of playing for Morris. If I'm banking on development and exposure to get to the NFL, then you'd be banking on Morris being an old dog who's learned a new trick because he has no history of doing that yet. Our TE coach has a good track record so that would be helpful, but to date, Morris hasn't ever gone out and developed and used his own TE, only used pre-developed TE's.

In Morris's defense, while he is old, his experience as a coach is still very young as he's only been in the college ranks whatsoever for 8 years. He has an extensive HS background, but that's about as relevant to college coaching as being a video game coach. So, his coaching philosophy is likely still be shaped and molded. Similarly, he's never coached at as high a level as the SEC. What's worked at his past stops won't work here. He does have a degree in math, so I imagine he's smart enough to know that. Which leaves us with basically not having much of an idea of what he will do when he's here. He's like a guy who taught HS wrestling, moved up and competed in some amateur and then semi-pro MMA fights, and is now signed to compete in the top Muay Thai league.

SemperHawg

We can argue all day about how/why he should be used.  I know what I see when I watch any of the latest video of him running routes this spring.  I see a big, fast, athletic dude that any good coach would figure out a way to get the ball in his hands.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Arthur pigby sellers. on March 11, 2018, 09:53:21 pm

Jordan Jones 1-28
Jeremy Patton 2-23, TD
Mike Woods 1-17
Tobias Enlow 3-48
Maleek Williams 2-11
Will Gragg 1-6, TD
Brandon Martin 1-4
of course he will use the TE,  we have a ton of talent there, and it would be stupid to ignore that.  successful coaches build their scheme around their talent. 
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

jgphillips3

If we go on what the staff has said, which is all we have so far, they have already stated that they were very happy with the tight end talent we have and bemoaned the lack of it at SMU.  So, will they be used as heavily as with Bielema?  Probably not.  But, I would bet they will be used at least as much as with Petrino.  Morris is all about mismatches.

bennyl08

Quote from: jgphillips3 on March 12, 2018, 05:34:27 pm
If we go on what the staff has said, which is all we have so far, they have already stated that they were very happy with the tight end talent we have and bemoaned the lack of it at SMU.  So, will they be used as heavily as with Bielema?  Probably not.  But, I would bet they will be used at least as much as with Petrino.  Morris is all about mismatches.

2008: 70 rec, 795 yards, 7 tds
2009: 35 rec, 444 yards, 3 tds

Compared to the previous post showing Morris's use of TE, even Petrino's worst year with the TE's would rank 3rd of 8 for Morris who's best year would only rank 3rd among the Petrino years.

For him to use the TE at least as much as Petrino would require the absolute best year at TE Morris has ever had.

I think people forget how much power Petrino used with extensive FB and multiple TE sets.

Grumpypenguin

PygmalionEffect2

Where is Cantrell?

In hindsight, I think he was misused by CBB, as he possibly could have had a bigger impact on defense, just because the defense was so bad last year and we had two decent fullbacks and a better true TE than Cantrell in O'Grady.  Based on reports, he had the speed to play an inside backer in the 3-4, and now I guess DE in the 4-3.

Some might say he must not have had that defensive mentality you need to be a good defender, but I still remember his high school tape on defense because it was so impressive watching him destroy running backs.

oh, but what could have been, with a better HC.
President Donald Trump, on "60 Minutes," Nov. 13, 2016
"Facebook and Twitter were the reason we won this thing."

Hannity - This Nunes memo is going to make Watergate look like someone stole a candy bar.

PorkSoda

Where is Cantrell?
Little rock, I hear they have good cathead biscuits
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

bennyl08

Quote from: PygmalionEffect2 on March 12, 2018, 08:09:59 pm
In hindsight, I think he was misused by CBB, as he possibly could have had a bigger impact on defense, just because the defense was so bad last year and we had two decent fullbacks and a better true TE than Cantrell in O'Grady.  Based on reports, he had the speed to play an inside backer in the 3-4, and now I guess DE in the 4-3.

Some might say he must not have had that defensive mentality you need to be a good defender, but I still remember his high school tape on defense because it was so impressive watching him destroy running backs.

oh, but what could have been, with a better HC.

He could have been a decent DE, but even in HS, his play as a TE was much more impressive. Given that he was able to make an impact at the position faster than the other TE's shows IMO that playing him at TE was the right choice.

checkraiser88

Gragg is a beast. I'm puzzled how BB and company couldn't develop him

PorkSoda

Quote from: checkraiser88 on March 12, 2018, 09:24:11 pm
exactly how many TE's do you think one team can field at a time?

bennyl08

Quote from: PorkSoda on March 12, 2018, 09:26:49 pm

Swestwill66

Quote from: PorkSoda on March 12, 2018, 09:26:49 pm

2 sometimes 3

oldman1015

Quote from: checkraiser88 on March 12, 2018, 09:24:11 pm
Have you ever watched him play?
Arkansas, the left lane state.

code red

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on March 12, 2018, 02:50:50 am
Based on 11 game season
2010- 0.54 catches/5.8 yds/0.18 tds
2011- 5.8 catches/70.5 yards/0.91 tds
2012- 4.9 Catches/55 yards/1 TD/
2013- 2 catches/22 yards/0.18
2014- 2.8 catches/34.6 yards/0.27 tds
2015- 1.7 catches/26.3yards/0.36 tds
2016- 1.6 catches/17 yards/0.27 tds
2017- 0.36 catches/6.82 yards/0.18 tds

totals- 2.48 catches a game/29.82 yards a game/ 0.42 tds a game.

As many TEs as we have I would think some will transfer.

They better
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: MissippHog on March 12, 2018, 01:07:32 pm
Anyone else's heart skip a beat when they open the page and see only a player's name as a thread title?

Yes. Pretty much every time.

Back to Gragg, I look forward to seeing him in a Morris offense. Then we'll know what we have.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

AirWarren

Quote from: oldman1015 on March 13, 2018, 06:13:12 am
Have you ever watched him play?

Of course.

HUDL "film studiers".

#1 STUNNA

gmarv54

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 12, 2018, 03:35:09 pm
I don't know what he will do. All I can do is look at what he has done. I hope we get the next Henry kid and I do believe that Morris will try to recruit him. However, if I'm Henry, I'd be skeptical of playing for Morris. If I'm banking on development and exposure to get to the NFL, then you'd be banking on Morris being an old dog who's learned a new trick because he has no history of doing that yet. Our TE coach has a good track record so that would be helpful, but to date, Morris hasn't ever gone out and developed and used his own TE, only used pre-developed TE's.

In Morris's defense, while he is old, his experience as a coach is still very young as he's only been in the college ranks whatsoever for 8 years. He has an extensive HS background, but that's about as relevant to college coaching as being a video game coach. So, his coaching philosophy is likely still be shaped and molded. Similarly, he's never coached at as high a level as the SEC. What's worked at his past stops won't work here. He does have a degree in math, so I imagine he's smart enough to know that. Which leaves us with basically not having much of an idea of what he will do when he's here. He's like a guy who taught HS wrestling, moved up and competed in some amateur and then semi-pro MMA fights, and is now signed to compete in the top Muay Thai league.
Thanks Benny for your thoughts,I know you can't really know any more than anybody else.My question was mostly the wonderings out loud of a old hog fan.