Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jeff Long contract

Started by grayhawg, October 22, 2017, 08:33:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HawgPound

Quote from: Pork Twain on October 23, 2017, 09:53:01 am
Oh boy...unnamed sources.
I wish mods would clean it up. The people posting these false rumors are fans of nothing but their ego.

rhames

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on October 23, 2017, 10:11:47 am
Because people don't understand how Athletic Departments work. For long to hire a coach, he has to get approval from the BOT. If BB was such a horrible hire at the time, then why did the BOT approve? BB wasn't a bad hire, he was a good hire that didn't work out. Long will correct the situation in the normal course of time. You don't want your AD to be over reactionary, like hogville posters. The next coach will be told that he will have time to improve the program and Long can show that BB was given 5-6 years to do it, not 3-4 years. Any coach worth his salt doesn't want to roll into a job knowing he could be fired because of his record, especially at Arkansas in 1-3 years.

My question was to the guy saying he is going to be fired

I agree with you
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: rhames on October 23, 2017, 10:14:15 am
My question was to the guy saying he is going to be fired

I agree with you
I know you agree..just providing an explanation.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

EastexHawg

The love for Long is fairly easy to explain.  When he fired Petrino the fan base largely split into two factions:

1.  Long just fired the best coach we have had at least since Holtz and the football program is headed for a self-imposed death penalty; and
2.  You guys with a hard on for Petrino are idiots.  There are plenty of coaches who can do just as well or better.  Long will find one of them

Here we are five years down the road.  We all know which belief has proven correct, but that doesn't mean those who went all in for Long are going to admit they were wrong.  No, now that our football program has become an absolute dumpster fire and laughing stock the argument has changed to "yeah, but under Long we have the highest GPA we've ever had and we're making money faster than we can count it.  So there!"

In the first place, if the argument is that Long isn't responsible for our team's performance on the field, how does he get credit for GPAs?

And in the second place, how many times does it have to be pointed out that merely being in the SEC, with conference negotiated TV deals that have NOTHING to do with Jeff Long or Arkansas but account for close to 2/3 of ALL NCAA revenue, is the reason our athletic department makes a sizeable profit?  We get around $40 million per year directly from the SEC.  That's close to twice as much as Big 12 teams get from their conference.  That money is on top of anything we raise in contributions, ticket sales, concessions, or any other revenue.  Long isn't doing anything to earn that money, it is given to him and the institution just because we are SEC members.  Frank Broyles brought about that tremendous revenue stream when he moved Arkansas to this conference.  Long does nothing but unload the cash when the armored car backs up to the vault and admire it.

A college accounting major couldn't spend our athletic department into the red if he tried.  It's the proverbial anvil and rubber hammer.

Finally, as for facilities...how long have some of you been coming to campus and attending games?  What SIGNIFICANT facilities upgrades has Long brought about?  DWRRS was largely renovated before the start of the 2001 season, years before Long set foot on campus.  Bud Walton Arena has been around for close to 25 years.  Baum Stadium was already winning awards as the premier baseball stadium in America during Broyles' AD days.  The Tyson Track Center was already there and hosting huge national meets.  The myth of Long building Arkansas facilities to national prominence is just that, a myth. 

The man is a fraud.  He has a reputation for one reason and one reason only, because he fired Petrino.  Other than that his tenure has been mediocre at best when it comes to the other sports and downright catastrophic for the bell cow of the university's athletic programs, football.  I bet other coaches and ADs around the country do like having Long at Arkansas.  If Alabama would hire an AD who got rid of Saban I would add him to my Christmas card list and hope he never left.

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: EastexHawg on October 23, 2017, 10:29:38 am
The love for Long is fairly easy to explain.  When he fired Petrino the fan base largely split into two factions:

1.  Long just fired the best coach we have had at least since Holtz and the football program is headed for a self-imposed death penalty; and
2.  You guys with a hard on for Petrino are idiots.  There are plenty of coaches who can do just as well or better.  Long will find one of them

Here we are five years down the road.  We all know which belief has proven correct, but that doesn't mean those who went all in for Long are going to admit they were wrong.  No, now that our football program has become an absolute dumpster fire and laughing stock the argument has changed to "yeah, but under Long we have the highest GPA we've ever had and we're making money faster than we can count it.  So there!"

In the first place, if the argument is that Long isn't responsible for our team's performance on the field, how does he get credit for GPAs?

And in the second place, how many times does it have to be pointed out that merely being in the SEC, with conference negotiated TV deals that have NOTHING to do with Jeff Long or Arkansas but account for close to 2/3 of ALL NCAA revenue, is the reason our athletic department makes a sizeable profit?  We get around $40 million per year directly from the SEC.  That's close to twice as much as Big 12 teams get from their conference.  That money is on top of anything we raise in contributions, ticket sales, concessions, or any other revenue.  Long isn't doing anything to earn that money, it is given to him and the institution just because we are SEC members.  Frank Broyles brought about that tremendous revenue stream when he moved Arkansas to this conference.  Long does nothing but unload the cash when the armored car backs up to the vault and admire it.

A college accounting major couldn't spend our athletic department into the red if he tried.  It's the proverbial anvil and rubber hammer.

Finally, as for facilities...how long have some of you been coming to campus and attending games?  What SIGNIFICANT facilities upgrades has Long brought about?  DWRRS was largely renovated before the start of the 2001 season, years before Long set foot on campus.  Bud Walton Arena has been around for close to 25 years.  Baum Stadium was already winning awards as the premier baseball stadium in America during Broyles' AD days.  The Tyson Track Center was already there and hosting huge national meets.  The myth of Long building Arkansas facilities to national prominence is just that, a myth. 

The man is a fraud.  He has a reputation for one reason and one reason only, because he fired Petrino.  Other than that his tenure has been mediocre at best when it comes to the other sports and downright catastrophic for the bell cow of the university's athletic programs, football.  I bet other coaches and ADs around the country do like having Long at Arkansas.  If Alabama would hire an AD who got rid of Saban I would add him to my Christmas card list and hope he never left.
The hate for Long is really easy to explain...he fired some people's hero and for others he fired a scumbag who cheated on his wife. BP got what he deserved.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

ricepig

Quote from: Hoggish1 on October 23, 2017, 07:50:57 am
See HoggyCat because my source says the same as his source and we don't have the same sources.
Lol....

Kevin

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on October 23, 2017, 10:35:42 am
The hate for Long is really easy to explain...he fired some people's hero and for others he fired a scumbag who cheated on his wife. BP got what he deserved.

jeff get back to work
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

oldhog63

My reason for wanting Long long gone has nothing to do with him firing Petrino. At the time I hated to lose Petrino, but felt he put Long in a position where he had to let him go. My problem is his handling of the football program ever since. Petrino put the program in a bad spot and Long has not only NOT gotten the program back in the right direction, but has all but destroyed it.

gchamblee

Quote from: Hoggish1 on October 23, 2017, 07:44:45 am
Excellent post but you forgot pepsi, but that might have been the proverbial straw so maybe it was best you didn't pile on.

Long is a smarmy individual that needs to take his act elsewhere.  He has failed at leaving Arkansas before and he just failed again when he didn't get the NE job he applied for.  He sees the handwriting on the wall and that's pretty hard for a blind man.

Long had nothing to do with the pepsi deal. You guys are so misinformed it is embarrassing lol.

EastexHawg

It's great to see you don't respond to any of the points.  Not surprising, though, because they are basically irrefutable.

gchamblee

Quote from: Hoggish1 on October 23, 2017, 07:50:57 am
See HoggyCat because my source says the same as his source and we don't have the same sources.

Guv isnt a source.

gchamblee

Quote from: hogcard1964 on October 23, 2017, 08:39:40 am
It's not hate, it's just an honest evaluation.

If his contract is up, it's time to move on.

It is hate. when you make darn up and tell lies, it is hate. When you ignore corrections to those falsehoods repeatedly, it is hate. Sort of like you and Bret, you hate the man which is why your behavior towards him has become incredibly childish.

jkstock04

Are you still guaranteeing 4 SEC wins like you were a couple of weeks back? LOL
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

HoggyCat

Quote from: factchecker on October 23, 2017, 01:55:18 am
We are 10th in APR not GPA.

Our 966 APR is actually the highest APR in program history.

Also, we led all football teams in the SEC with highest number of honor roll members:

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/razorbacks-earn-record-apr/

Again, did anyone care until that's all Jeffi had to hang his hat on?? 

And what does it matter as long as we're within NCAA & SEC standards??

So I'll ask again, when did everyone all of a sudden start caring about being tops in grades?
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

jkstock04

Quote from: HoggyCat on October 23, 2017, 10:59:08 am

So I'll ask again, when did everyone all of a sudden start caring about being tops in grades?
2012-2013
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

gchamblee

It matters to me and always has. I have a special concern for all those that choose to wear a razorback uniform and I want the best for them in life after they leave Arkansas. I suppose it would be easy to not give a darn about them as long as they give me something good to cheer about on Saturdays, but I just cant find it in myself to be that selfish. I see Rawleigh retire early due to injury and I find comfort in knowing he has an excellent education to carry him in life and not just some half baked degree that was really easy to get with little effort.

Mock me as you must.

HoggyCat

Quote from: gchamblee on October 23, 2017, 10:48:32 am
It is hate. when you make darn up and tell lies, it is hate. When you ignore corrections to those falsehoods repeatedly, it is hate. Sort of like you and Bret, you hate the man which is why your behavior towards him has become incredibly childish.

So you're correcting the media and witnesses to the rape?  You're correcting the media when they reported the volleyball coach told a player he's lucky he doesn't punch her out the gym? You're correcting the media when they said the golfers admitted to taking pictures of a drunk, naked girl's genitalia?

Since you're correcting the media on all this, why don't you correct the media when they say Petrino hired his mistress. Long hired her. And correct the mistress part, Long determined in his notes by using phone records, and deduced that it was over, in February.

Correct the media when they say Petrino gave an employee money. He gave it to her in December. Long hired her in late March.

Correct the media when they say Long didn't know.  According to Long's very own pie hole, he asked him about her in the hospital room. Petrino left the hospital Monday. Nothing was ever mentioned about Dorrell until Wednesday. So yeah, he knew.

Correct the media when they say Bielema sent the letter in September. It was discussed by Long at a club meeting that he got it as early as April.

HoggyCat

Quote from: HawgPound on October 23, 2017, 10:14:15 am
I wish mods would clean it up. The people posting these false rumors are fans of nothing but their ego.

I'll show my proof when it's over, one way or another.

gchamblee

Quote from: HoggyCat on October 23, 2017, 11:07:10 am
So you're correcting the media and witnesses to the rape?  You're correcting the media when they reported the volleyball coach told a player he's lucky he doesn't punch her out the gym? You're correcting the media when they said the golfers admitted to taking pictures of a drunk, naked girl's genitalia?

Since you're correcting the media on all this, why don't you correct the media when they say Petrino hired his mistress. Long hired her. And correct the mistress part, Long determined in his notes by using phone records, and deduced that it was over, in February.

Correct the media when they say Petrino gave an employee money. He gave it to her in December. Long hired her in late March.

Correct the media when they say Long didn't know.  According to Long's very own pie hole, he asked him about her in the hospital room. Petrino left the hospital Monday. Nothing was ever mentioned about Dorrell until Wednesday. So yeah, he knew.

Correct the media when they say Bielema sent the letter in September. It was discussed by Long at a club meeting that he got it as early as April.

Oh Snap! I forgot that you are that dude that is throwing the rape word around lmao. Have fun with your lies as you cling to your narrative like the only cigarette lighter in the crack house.

ricepig

As an alum, I always care about the academic standings of all of our students, especially my own, haha.

HoggyCat

Quote from: HawgPound on October 23, 2017, 10:14:15 am

So it's ok for someone to post about him getting an extension without any proof, but I can't??

HoggyCat

Quote from: ricepig on October 23, 2017, 11:26:17 am
As an alum, I always care about the academic standings of all of our students, especially my own, haha.

Where was your open outcry for better academics when we were 21-5 in '10 & '11??

Or even better, under Nutt??

There was none. No one cared until ESPN had their blip of a love affair with Jeffi.

thebignasty

This is a false dichotomy. I was sick Petrino got himself fired, and terrified at what the repercussions might be. I just have a developed enough sense of responsibility to understand it was the fault ot the man who hired his mistress for a position she was patently unqualified for, and held a press conference as an employee of the UA where he lied  on camera about the circumstances surrounding his bike crash, and not the one who fired him for it.

Misplaced blame and anger are the main fuel for JL hate.

HotlantaHog

Jeff Long was also the leader of the first NCAA football playoff committee. Like it or not that is a sign of respect from his AD colleagues.

I am NOT a Jeff Long fan. But the idea that he's accomplished nothing other than firing Petrino is contradicted by his selection to lead the playoff committee.

I think Terry Don Phillips is a great AD. I would be fine if Long leaves. But I don't expect that to happen.

island hog

Would you feel the same about Long if the Petrino issue had been swept under the rug and he was still our coach?  Would you still chastise him for the all the other things you stated? 

ricepig

Quote from: HoggyCat on October 23, 2017, 11:32:06 am
Where was your open outcry for better academics when we were 21-5 in '10 & '11??

Or even better, under Nutt??

There was none. No one cared until ESPN had their blip of a love affair with Jeffi.

It's there just like your outcry over the alleged rape, etc.

ricepig

Quote from: HotlantaHog on October 23, 2017, 11:37:48 am
Jeff Long was also the leader of the first NCAA football playoff committee. Like it or not that is a sign of respect from his AD colleagues.

I am NOT a Jeff Long fan. But the idea that he's accomplished nothing other than firing Petrino is contradicted by his selection to lead the playoff committee.

I think Terry Don Phillips is a great AD. I would be fine if Long leaves. But I don't expect that to happen.

TDP retired years ago for a reason.

elviscat

Hey guys, all this posting  about academic success and graduation success. Trying to butter JL resume is hogwash. We are in the bottom quartile. SEC Rant is the source which is derived from US Time report of academic status in the US/ SEC. Someone his pumping the pump to try to extol JL success.
1. Vanderbilt
2. Texas A&M
3. Florida
4. Georgia
5. Alabama
6. Auburn
7. Missouri
8. Tennessee
9. South Carolina
10. Kentucky
11. LSU
12. Arkansas
13. Ole Miss
14. Mississippi State

EastexHawg

October 23, 2017, 12:01:38 pm #78 Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 12:21:30 pm by EastexHawg
Quote from: island hog on October 23, 2017, 11:44:55 am
Would you feel the same about Long if the Petrino issue had been swept under the rug and he was still our coach?  Would you still chastise him for the all the other things you stated? 

I'm not "chastising him" for those things, I am pointing out that he is not responsible for them.  If he isn't responsible for play on the field, how can he be given credit for performance in the classroom?

The other things...the fact that SEC membership, not Long's business acumen, is responsible for Arkansas' profitability and that the facilities for which he is given credit were built before he took the job...apparently need to be pointed out because the people who keep posting about them on this board apparently don't understand the situation.  If you ever attended a game before 2008 how can you not know that the DWRRS renovation took place while Broyles was the AD, before the 2001 home opener against Tennessee?  How hard is it to look up when Bud Walton, Baum, and the track facilities opened and see that Long was still in Pittsburgh, or in the case of Bud Walton probably just out of college, at the time?

ricepig

Quote from: elviscat on October 23, 2017, 11:59:35 am
Hey guys, all this posting  about academic success and graduation success. Trying to butter JL resume is hogwash. We are in the bottom quartile. SEC Rant is the source which is derived from US Time report of academic status in the US/ SEC. Someone his pumping the pump to try to extol JL success.
1. Vanderbilt
2. Texas A&M
3. Florida
4. Georgia
5. Alabama
6. Auburn
7. Missouri
8. Tennessee
9. South Carolina
10. Kentucky
11. LSU
12. Arkansas
13. Ole Miss
14. Mississippi State

You seem to have gone astray on your thoughts, no one is debating our academic status as a university, the facts are, our APR, GPA, and graduation rates have gone up in the athletic department.

bville_hog

I still don't get how Long got a pass on approving the Dorrell hire.  If he didn't make the hire himself, he approved it and I bet he already knew about the affair or at least the rumors, and if he didn't he should have.  It is his job to know what is going on in the athletic departments, especially the football program.  If the coaches had been committing recruiting violations like Ole Miss, would he be getting  pass from not paying attention to that also?

HotlantaHog

HoggyCat

Quote from: island hog on October 23, 2017, 11:44:55 am

Petrino broke no laws.

Rape and voyeurism on the other hand..... 

People sicken me how far they'll go to defend Jeffi. Condoning rape because it helps their weak argument.

gchamblee

Quote from: HoggyCat on October 23, 2017, 12:25:48 pm
Petrino broke no laws.

Rape and voyeurism on the other hand..... 

People sicken me how far they'll go to defend Jeffi. Condoning rape because it helps their weak argument.

Nobody is condoning rape. You are fabricating a story. It should sicken you that you would exploit that young woman in an effort to drum up more pitchforks.

HoggyCat

Quote from: gchamblee on October 23, 2017, 01:19:08 pm
Nobody is condoning rape. You are fabricating a story. It should sicken you that you would exploit that young woman in an effort to drum up more pitchforks.

Islandhog compared what Petrino did to Jeffi sweeping rape under the rug. Two totally different levels of wrong.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: grayhawg on October 22, 2017, 08:33:35 pm
Does he actually have a new contract or just pulling our leg?
yes.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

gchamblee

Quote from: HoggyCat on October 23, 2017, 01:21:10 pm
Islandhog compared what Petrino did to Jeffi sweeping rape under the rug. Two totally different levels of wrong.

The way you throw the rape word around reminds me of how the racist word is used these days. People don't agree with you so you call them rape supporters. You try to punish people for not agreeing with you and condoning rape is how you attack them. You're a sorry excuse for a human being in my opinion.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: grayhawg on October 22, 2017, 08:33:35 pm
Does he actually have a new contract or just pulling our leg?

Fire his Yankee 6 and pay him off.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HoggyCat

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: HoggyCat on October 23, 2017, 11:07:10 am

POST OF THE MONTH, maybe of the Year.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: HoggyCat on October 23, 2017, 01:25:07 pm
Source??  Come on.  Name it.
nope. But I promise you I am not speculating about Jeff's contract extension and it requiring him to NOT be tied at the hip to BB. And let's just say the BOT sees things like @HoggyCat does.

gchamblee

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on October 23, 2017, 01:27:02 pm
nope. But I promise you I am not speculating about Jeff's contract extension and it requiring him to NOT be tied at the hip to BB. And let's just say the BOT sees things like @HoggyCat does.

they think everyone that approves of Jeff Long are rape supporters? haha ok.

ricepig

Quote from: HoggyCat on October 23, 2017, 01:25:07 pm
Source??  Come on.  Name it.

According to Matt Jones, he of the lower buyout number, Long has a 5 year contract that is automatically rolled over every June, unless advised. So, he's under contract until 2022.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: gchamblee on October 23, 2017, 01:28:25 pm
they think everyone that approves of Jeff Long are rape supporters? haha ok.
no, man, that JL doesnt have as much political capital as ya'll think and is in fact kinda in political debt with some of his decisions...

gchamblee

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on October 23, 2017, 01:32:27 pm
no, man, that JL doesnt have as much political capital as ya'll think and is in fact kinda in political debt with some of his decisions...

But he hired Mike Leach right? How many years is the contract for and what's the buyout?

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: gchamblee on October 23, 2017, 01:37:04 pm
But he hired Mike Leach right? How many years is the contract for and what's the buyout?
how could you legally hire somebody for a job that's open, before you pay either's buyout? DO NOT misquote me, dude.

They HAVE agreed in principle....

BUT JEFF LONG will be gone, right? If not, how do you think he managed that if he is tied at the hip to Bert Butters?

And, tell me again how Butters hadnt agreed in principle before the season and didnt coach a full season at Wisky living a lie!! GO ON< tell me again!

If I am wrong, I'll be here to say I was wrong. But to act like it is impossible that JL has a guy lined up already is FRIGGIN RETARDED. to act like Mike Leach and Wazzou are too good for Arkansas is a damn laugh. And to say that we couldn't get a guy to agree to get his salary doubled to come here is beyond stupid. WE LITERALLY JUST DID THIS with Bert Butters, and he didnt even get a raise!!

HoggyCat

Quote from: ricepig on October 23, 2017, 01:28:30 pm
According to Matt Jones, he of the lower buyout number, Long has a 5 year contract that is automatically rolled over every June, unless advised. So, he's under contract until 2022.

And that doesn't mean he's not going to be fired.

HawgPound

Quote from: HoggyCat on October 23, 2017, 11:30:17 am
So it's ok for someone to post about him getting an extension without any proof, but I can't??
I did not say that. I wish mods would clean all of this mess up. It's not doing anything positive. As for revealing your source after the fact. I don't expect it. Sorry, too many people are hiding behind "sources" and one even pointed to another poster in this thread. It is beyond silly.

I can make one prediction on here right now. Half of the sources will be wrong and the other half will be lucky.

ricepig

Quote from: HoggyCat on October 23, 2017, 02:07:14 pm

And that doesn't mean he's not going to be fired.

Nope, and his buyout is $1m/yr, if the language is correct, lol.......

ricepig

Quote from: HawgPound on October 23, 2017, 02:25:18 pm
I did not say that. I wish mods would clean all of this mess up. It's not doing anything positive. As for revealing your source after the fact. I don't expect it. Sorry, too many people are hiding behind "sources" and one even pointed to another poster in this thread. It is beyond silly.

I can make one prediction on here right now. Half of the sources will be wrong and the other half will be lucky.

Got a source on that?