Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Long selected as one of top ADs

Started by Karma, August 17, 2017, 02:45:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jgphillips3

Long is a good AD.  I'd say he's a top 20 AD.  He has made some bad decisions but he has made some good ones too.  It could be a lot worse.  The only decision of his that was so terminally stupid it is almost incomprehensible is not the original CBB buyout but the two year extension of it.

LZH

He has made some decisions I do not agree with, but overall I think he is quite good at what he does. I don't know how Hands-On he is with his coaches like Bielema and Anderson but would like to see more emphasis put on winning and chill a bit about APR numbers. I am a sports fan, not an administrator fan.

gchamblee

Quote from: navyhog24 on August 18, 2017, 10:38:02 am
CBB had never built a program. He was only asked to maintain what Barry Alvarez had built at Wisconsin. We are Bielema's first shot at building a program and so far he sucks at it.

Actually, I think he is proving the opposite of what you claim.

ricepig

Quote from: hawgon on August 18, 2017, 11:34:39 am
The rest of your statement?  Clay is the CFO, not Long.  He manages the mortgage.

With direction from the AD, I don't believe he is a Vice Chancellor, is he?? He pays the bills, he doesn't manage the athletic department.

Headhog32

Quote from: ricepig on August 18, 2017, 11:28:20 am
Dykes was a terrible choice and Smith was an easy out for a caretaker. I doubt anyone thought we were going to hit a homerun hire in April. Mike and Bret were proven winners elsewhere, so you can't say they were terrible hires when they were hired.
rice pig I was not saying they were terrible hires, I was saying a majority of the fans think that they are bad hires. I think mike and bret are both building a great program. I know CBB has been a little slow but look at how he is doing recruiting? I really think this will be a good year for us. like I said CBB is building a solid program in my opinion. I still got hope in him

LZH

Quote from: gchamblee on August 18, 2017, 11:40:13 am

Are you trying to start an argument this early?

RME

Quote from: Headhog32 on August 18, 2017, 11:44:03 am
rice pig I was not saying they were terrible hires, I was saying a majority of the fans think that they are bad hires. I think mike and bret are both building a great program. I know CBB has been a little slow but look at how he is doing recruiting? I really think this will be a good year for us. like I said CBB is building a solid program in my opinion. I still got hope in him

Based on? Hogville? Lol.

Headhog32

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on August 18, 2017, 11:46:47 am
Based on? Hogville? Lol.
based on going to the scrimmages, seeing the defensive changes, watching new playmakers. knowing that we have a very good returning QB, a better OL, good running backs. so No not based on hogville...

RME

Quote from: Headhog32 on August 18, 2017, 11:49:24 am
based on going to the scrimmages, seeing the defensive changes, watching new playmakers. knowing that we have a very good returning QB, a better OL, good running backs. so No not based on hogville...

I wasn't referring to that. I was referring to the part that I bolded. The part where you said, "a majority of the fans think they are bad hires." What are you basing that on?

gchamblee

Quote from: LZH on August 18, 2017, 11:45:29 am
Are you trying to start an argument this early?

So if I came in here slamming JL I wouldn't be starting an argument, but if I have something good to say about the man, I am starting an argument? If you are looking for an echo chamber, you should find a board that I do not post on.

Wildhog

Can y'all at least wait until I've had a few drinks?  kthxbai
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Headhog32

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on August 18, 2017, 11:51:25 am
I wasn't referring to that. I was referring to the part that I bolded. The part where you said, "a majority of the fans think they are bad hires." What are you basing that on?
oh okay I apologize, well based off of some people on hogville, social media (Facebook, twitter) friends that I am around In my community.

LZH

Quote from: gchamblee on August 18, 2017, 11:52:40 am
So if I came in here slamming JL I wouldn't be starting an argument, but if I have something good to say about the man, I am starting an argument? If you are looking for an echo chamber, you should find a board that I do not post on.

You just started an argument. Get ready buddy!

hogcard1964

Quote from: Deep Shoat on August 18, 2017, 10:18:09 am

No matter the results (and I don't think they are complete yet), CBB was a HUGE hire.

Agreed    ;)

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

So let me get this straight. Our football team isn't top 25. Our SEC stat leading qb isn't considered top 15. Our basketball team isn't in the preseason top 25 (but bama is  ::) ) but our AD is top 5? BTW I like jeff long
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

RME

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on August 18, 2017, 12:36:09 pm
So let me get this straight. Our football team isn't top 25. Our SEC stat leading qb isn't considered top 15. Our basketball team isn't in the preseason top 25 (but bama is  ::) ) but our AD is top 5? BTW I like jeff long

You just proved that most rational people consider a successful AD to be more than just football and basketball W's and L's.

BaconAteHer

Quote from: Headhog32 on August 18, 2017, 11:19:26 am
how much is a lick? curious

Careful.. I uh.. know a guy that got arrested for asking that once

sowmonella

Quote from: Headhog32 on August 18, 2017, 11:49:24 am

How do you get to go to the scrimmages? Can you get me in?
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Quote from: VBCHog on August 18, 2017, 09:37:12 am
Long is what they call a carpetbagger.
So is Saban. Glad to know you wouldn't want him coaching here.

ricepig

Quote from: sowmonella on August 18, 2017, 01:22:31 pm
How do you get to go to the scrimmages? Can you get me in?

Well, the one last Saturday was open for an hour, outside of that you'll need to be a parent or a big enough donor.

Headhog32

Quote from: ricepig on August 18, 2017, 01:40:05 pm
Well, the one last Saturday was open for an hour, outside of that you'll need to be a parent or a big enough donor.
they have had a few open scrimmages

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on August 18, 2017, 10:50:31 am
I feel ya. I make 85% of the money but somehow still get 85% of the projects around the house. (Dishes, cleaning up after twins, mowing & weedeating, taking out the trash, cooking, etc.....)

My wife has to deal with a "constantly needing momma" newborn, so I'd say that's fair.

Evidently you did a fine job of producing...I mean reproducing!

ricepig

Quote from: Headhog32 on August 18, 2017, 01:55:02 pm
they have had a few open scrimmages

Actually just one this fall, unless you're telling me you're a member of the media??

Hogwild

Long does a great job of separating rich people from their money.  As much as I dislike the man, I will give him credit where credit is due, he is a great fundraiser.

I have no problem with his decision to fire BP.

My issues are in this nearly 10 year tenure, we have the worst stretch in both men's basketball and football, in decades.
We are 14 games below .500 in SEC play since he took over, last in the SEC West.
Wanting to hire Jim Grobe and luckily getting rejected.
Hiring JLSmith
Hiring Jimmy Dykes
Giving a coach with a then 2-14 conference record that type of buyout was asinine.
Changing the Hog logo.

Headhog32

Quote from: ricepig on August 18, 2017, 02:32:06 pm
Actually just one this fall, unless you're telling me you're a member of the media??
I went to one back around April not sure the exact date might have been May I don't know, but I was up there for a baseball game and stopped by and watch a little bit

ricepig

Quote from: Headhog32 on August 18, 2017, 05:33:19 pm
I went to one back around April not sure the exact date might have been May I don't know, but I was up there for a baseball game and stopped by and watch a little bit

Ok, I thought you were referring to a fall practice, and spring practice was over in April and lots of new guys involved since then.

Headhog32

Quote from: ricepig on August 18, 2017, 05:54:45 pm
Ok, I thought you were referring to a fall practice, and spring practice was over in April and lots of new guys involved since then.
yes I know

HamSammich

Quote from: gchamblee on August 18, 2017, 11:40:13 am

He has built a toilet bowl program to mediocrity. I agree.

But he was handed the keys to a '85 Mustang hatchback in Wisky.

His offensive coordinators were coaching treasures imo there.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Karma on August 17, 2017, 02:45:03 pm
Number 4 by the media, and number 6 by other ADs.

https://t.co/UB5QV4PCED?ssr=true

I'd say we get as much from Long as any of those schools selected above him get from their AD.. The schools are not all apples to apples... our facilities, reputation and financial support compare very favorable to any... Long's done a good job of managing..

Hogwild

Quote from: Dominicanhog on August 18, 2017, 07:52:45 pm
I'd say we get as much from Long as any of those schools selected above him get from their AD..

Except wins, championship, and titles.

oldhawg

Quote from: HamSammich on August 18, 2017, 06:19:33 pm
He has built a toilet bowl program to mediocrity. I agree.

But he was handed the keys to a '85 Mustang hatchback in Wisky.

His offensive coordinators were coaching treasures imo there.

Maybe he is just following the Alvarez model for building a program.  :)  Barry won 21 games his first four years at Wisconsin (albeit his only winning season was a ten win season & Rose Bowl appearance) while Bielema has won 25 games and has three minor bowl appearances.

EastexHawg

Quote from: prattville pig on August 18, 2017, 11:22:00 am
there are only like twenty-something athletics departments that actually make money, we are one of them

How many SEC athletic departments make money?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: EastexHawg on August 18, 2017, 09:35:48 pm
How many SEC athletic departments make money?

Depends on how much revenue they bring in versus how much they spend..............................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ChitownHawg

PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

The_Iceman

He is one of the best ADs in the country, whether the idiots on here can see it or not.

jkstock04

Quote from: Hogwild on August 18, 2017, 05:19:36 pm
Long does a great job of separating rich people from their money.  As much as I dislike the man, I will give him credit where credit is due, he is a great fundraiser.

I have no problem with his decision to fire BP.

My issues are in this nearly 10 year tenure, we have the worst stretch in both men's basketball and football, in decades.
We are 14 games below .500 in SEC play since he took over, last in the SEC West.
Wanting to hire Jim Grobe and luckily getting rejected.
Hiring JLSmith
Hiring Jimmy Dykes
Giving a coach with a then 2-14 conference record that type of buyout was asinine.
Changing the Hog logo.
The new Hog logo is another one...I absolutely can't stand it. I think it's the worst logo in our history. Yes worse than popcorn Hog. Compare it to the Arkansas State red wolf logo, looks almost identical. Why am I not surprised Jeff Long had his hands all over that move?

For me it's about our branding. The guy doesn't care about winning...little to no emphasis there. Simply a cherry on top to him if we do win. Bielema has had (and still does imo) little to no pressure to win here...I see that as a problem. Look at the buyout.

Our brand is all about integrity and academics. It's almost like he's trying to turn us into Vanderbilt. Tough for me to get pumped up about that. I know it's an insane idea, but I've always been one to think a sports program ought to be about sports.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

PORKULATOR

Quote from: sowmonella on August 17, 2017, 03:51:34 pm
Some really serious issues in here. Long is an outstanding AD.
yep. We require a great Ad more than most schools.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

GuvHog

Quote from: jkstock04 on August 19, 2017, 07:44:46 am
The new Hog logo is another one...I absolutely can't stand it. I think it's the worst logo in our history. Yes worse than popcorn Hog. Compare it to the Arkansas State red wolf logo, looks almost identical. Why am I not surprised Jeff Long had his hands all over that move?

For me it's about our branding. The guy doesn't care about winning...little to no emphasis there. Simply a cherry on top to him if we do win. Bielema has had (and still does imo) little to no pressure to win here...I see that as a problem. Look at the buyout.

Our brand is all about integrity and academics. It's almost like he's trying to turn us into Vanderbilt. Tough for me to get pumped up about that. I know it's an insane idea, but I've always been one to think a sports program ought to be about sports.

I disagree with you about the front facing LOGO. A Hog and a Red Wolf look nothing alike. The only thing the 2 LOGOs in common is they are both front facing LOGOs.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

GuvHog

Quote from: The_Iceman on August 19, 2017, 06:58:57 am
He is one of the best ADs in the country, whether the idiots on here can see it or not.

Long is a good fundraiser for the U of A athletic department, I'll give him that. That's as far as I'll go.

jkstock04

Quote from: GuvHog on August 19, 2017, 08:23:03 am
Long is a good fundraiser for the U of A athletic department, I'll give him that. That's as far as I'll go.
He's beyond excellent getting people to buy in to his brand...seriously. Think about this, what other fan base in the SEC would be this ecstatic and enthusiastic if they collectively had the last 5 years we had? What they do is deflect away from actual sports and most buy into it. Talking points are $$$$, integrity, game day experience, APR, etc.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

LZH

Quote from: jkstock04 on August 19, 2017, 07:44:46 am

T-Rex Hog!

ricepig

Quote from: jkstock04 on August 19, 2017, 09:13:54 am
He's beyond excellent getting people to buy in to his brand...seriously. Think about this, what other fan base in the SEC would be this ecstatic and enthusiastic if they collectively had the last 5 years we had? What they do is deflect away from actual sports and most buy into it. Talking points are $$$$, integrity, game day experience, APR, etc.

Then why has he fired other coaches that haven't won conference championships? I mean, it would be much easier to have saved that money and put out an APR brochure, right?? As a Razorback fan since the mid 60's, there's been lots of years with less than stellar results, it's cyclical in nature. If the winning doesn't pick up in two years, then we'll be looking for a new coach. He was going to be here for 6 years, unless it was all like year one.

jkstock04

Quote from: ricepig on August 19, 2017, 09:23:41 am
Then why has he fired other coaches that haven't won conference championships? I mean, it would be much easier to have saved that money and put out an APR brochure, right?? As a Razorback fan since the mid 60's, there's been lots of years with less than stellar results, it's cyclical in nature. If the winning doesn't pick up in two years, then we'll be looking for a new coach. He was going to be here for 6 years, unless it was all like year one.
Pelphery wasn't his hire...combined with the thug like reputation the program was taking on, pretty easy decision there considering long's nature of wanting to portray a clean program. But not being "his" guy I think made that very easy. I still think he waited too long to pull the trigger there.

Jimmy Dykes? Players kneeling for the anthem flushed him down the commode....progressiveness ya know.

Who else do we have?
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

ricepig

Quote from: jkstock04 on August 19, 2017, 09:51:28 am
Pelphery wasn't his hire...combined with the thug like reputation the program was taking on, pretty easy decision there considering long's nature of wanting to portray a clean program. But not being "his" guy I think made that very easy. I still think he waited too long to pull the trigger there.

Jimmy Dykes? Players kneeling for the anthem flushed him down the commode....progressiveness ya know.

Who else do we have?

Firing someone is firing someone, or haven't you ever fired someone that you didn't directly hire? As to others, whomever Dykes replaced, previous softball coach, and any other fired coach I'm not going to look up. So, from your view he doesn't get credit for the firings, just the bad hires? If Bielema doesn't pick up the win total, he won't be here after 2018, I guess you would have fired him in year one.

EastexHawg

Quote from: ChitownHawg on August 19, 2017, 05:27:07 am
http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

Just be glad you are not an Aggie fan. ;D

So all 13 of the SEC public institutions in that list made profits.  Could have something to do with the TV contact and the amount the conference distributes to each school, not incredible financial management.

PorkRinds

Quote from: jkstock04 on August 19, 2017, 09:51:28 am

Who else do we have?

Dykes was fired because he was a terrible coach. You know, reality and all.

ricepig

Quote from: EastexHawg on August 19, 2017, 10:38:27 am
So all 13 of the SEC public institutions in that list made profits.  Could have something to do with the TV contact and the amount the conference distributes to each school, not incredible financial management.

That's a big help to all the SEC schools, no doubt. You have to figure in net profits, and compare the size of the stadiums and donations. I suspect all the conference AD's are skilled in financial management, or they wouldn't have gotten the position.

GuvHog

Quote from: PorkRinds on August 19, 2017, 10:41:19 am
Dykes was fired because he was a terrible coach. You know, reality and all.

Dykes' termination had absolutely nothing to do with his record as womens basketball HC. He was fired because he dared to support the players who knelt during the national anthem. The minute he did that, it no longer matter how many games the women won. He was toast from that moment on.

ricepig

Quote from: GuvHog on August 19, 2017, 11:27:42 am
Dykes' termination had absolutely nothing to do with his record as womens basketball HC. He was fired because he dared to support the players who knelt during the national anthem. The minute he did that, it no longer matter how many games the women won. He was toast from that moment on.

Jeff tell you that?

hogcard1964

Quote from: GuvHog on August 19, 2017, 11:27:42 am

+1000

As he should have been.