Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Outside of LSU/Mizz, who would you like to play every thanksgiving?

Started by Ben, August 06, 2017, 06:08:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

geauxhawgs

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: geauxhawgs on August 14, 2017, 11:30:45 am
Forget a history with the SEC, they have nearly ZERO history with us....Like EVER! Not saying I'm not willing to welcome Missouri into the SEC, I agree with you on that point. I just don't see the MAJORITY of our fan base rallying behind this game as a rivalry. I guarantee you we will travel better to BR than we will Columbia, Missouri any day, any time. It amazes me how many people comment on a forced rivalry with LSU when we're coming up on our 63rd (SIXTY THIRD) meeting and the amount of cajuns that have moved to Little Rock from North Louisiana FAR out number any other fan base I can PROMISE you that & from what I hear there is a good population that moved up to NWA after Katrina as well. Also just FYI, nearly everyone in the South & Midwest has been to Branson, on top of that the Cardinals are a national brand and literally have kids rooting for them around the country...just sayin that don't mean a damn thing. Hell, half of Missouri's two biggest cities (KC & STL) aren't even Mizzou fans just turn on the local nightly news next time your up that way.

I think this is gonna be a yawner MOST years around the house Thanksgiving weekend  no matter how many dollars they spend trying to hype it up like a rivalry. Bottom line is you cant argue what LSU, Texas or TAM would bring to the table that weekend we all know this STATE would literally be glued to the television.

Woo Pig Y'all

I won't argue that people today would get more excited for LSU, Texas, or A&M. A few meaningful games with Mizzou will get people excited for that game too. But that will take time. What I can't get all twisted up about it when we play them. There's a lot of hand-wringing on this board about our "lost rivalry" with LSU and why nobody likes/hates us, when we still play them every year. Texas is the team we don't play any more. We never played them on Thanksgiving, but no one denies how much that game meant when we did play.

Tusks

Quote from: HamSammich on August 14, 2017, 11:14:42 am
Hawaii and Bazzio has to make another creative 3000 lb trophy maybe out of a meteorite or something.

Dried lava rock.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

geauxhawgs

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on August 14, 2017, 12:09:18 pm
I won't argue that people today would get more excited for LSU, Texas, or A&M. A few meaningful games with Mizzou will get people excited for that game too. But that will take time. What I can't get all twisted up about it when we play them. There's a lot of hand-wringing on this board about our "lost rivalry" with LSU and why nobody likes/hates us, when we still play them every year. Texas is the team we don't play any more. We never played them on Thanksgiving, but no one denies how much that game meant when we did play.

Hard to see how it will get people anymore CONSISTENTLY fired up than playing teams like Vanderbilt, Kentucky or Mississippi State.... but I guess time will tell.

bvillepig

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on August 07, 2017, 07:32:37 am
Ole Miss. Who wouldn't love a shootout on thanksgiving

That would be like playing a scrimmage against the writing staff of "High Times" on product quality testing day.

And that's before the NCAA gets thru with them.
This is my non-signature signature.

Headhog32

I would love to see the Texas vs Ar every thanksgiving. old school rivalry. :D

PorkSoda

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on August 07, 2017, 05:22:24 pm
I'm still pissed we're stuck with Missouri in some made up rivalry that will never happen. Nothing but an artificial "rivalry" the SEC threw us away with.

This.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Hawghiggs

Quote from: hogsanity on August 14, 2017, 11:10:12 am
So it never was really a rivalry game, it was only viewed by some as such because it was played on a certain weekend. The media said the LSu game was a rivalry game so that makes it so, but them saying Mizzu is a rivalry game means nothing?

I still fail to see the fascination of trying to force something to be a rivalry by Hog fans.

It's not being forced by hog fans. It was forced originally by the SEC office. It became a rivalry because of how well we played each other.  It really doesn't matter how a rivalry starts just that we both acknowledge it. All rivalries are manufactured in some way or another. It's just that some where manufactured a 100 years ago.

rtr

Texas, without a doubt.  Cannot think of a better monument to Coach Broyles (and Coach Royal too) than this. 
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

Mick Hogger

I'll never give up Thanksgiving to go to Columbia. It just won't happen.

But I'd be in Austin every other year with bells on.
Quote from: forrest city joe on Today at 10:06:10 am
ok i get you. but do you have to post it over and over and over and over? and for the 100th time. Mike is going to be coach here no matter if you like it or not.

hogsanity

Quote from: Hawghiggs on August 14, 2017, 08:22:30 pm
It's not being forced by hog fans. It was forced originally by the SEC office. It became a rivalry because of how well we played each other.  It really doesn't matter how a rivalry starts just that we both acknowledge it. All rivalries are manufactured in some way or another. It's just that some where manufactured a 100 years ago.

When I said forced, I was referring to to a rivalry in general. Why do some Hog fans so desperately need some game to hang the title " rivalry game " on? As has been pointed out, it is not like the Hogs quit playing LSU, the game just moved to a different day. If it is actually a rivalry it should not matter when the two teams play.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

EastexHawg

Every time we play Texas in a bowl game the national media makes a big deal out of our old rivalry and our fans go crazy.  I have been to a lot of games over the years, but I have never felt more electricity in the air than the night we played Texas in RRS in 2004...and we weren't really a very good football team that year.

Rivalries can't be manufactured, at least not in the short term.  To this day, our biggest rival is Texas.  Everyone in America knows it whether some of our fans want to acknowledge it or not.

hawganatic

I don't get the big stink over who we play on Thanksgiving Day weekend.  If LSU is really a rivalry like a lot of you say, what does it matter when we play them?  Contrived rivalries need particular weekends and trophies to survive.  A true rivalry just needs a football field and the two teams.

Do you guys think Alabama/Auburn would be any less of a game if it was played in the middle of October?

hogsanity

Quote from: EastexHawg on August 15, 2017, 09:55:29 am

Rivalries can't be manufactured, at least not in the short term.  To this day, our biggest rival is Texas.  Everyone in America knows it whether some of our fans want to acknowledge it or not.

But the Hogs are not the Horns BIGGEST rival and never were.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

EastexHawg

Quote from: hawganatic on August 15, 2017, 10:02:43 am
Do you guys think Alabama/Auburn would be any less of a game if it was played in the middle of October?

Do you think Auburn fans would be upset if the SEC office rescheduled the Iron Bowl from "Rivalry Week" to October and had Alabama playing LSU and Auburn playing Kentucky on Thanksgiving weekend instead?

EastexHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on August 15, 2017, 10:06:58 am

How many years have you lived in Texas?  I've been down here living amongst Texas fans since the 60s.  You?

hogsanity

Quote from: EastexHawg on August 15, 2017, 10:08:47 am
Do you think Auburn fans would be upset if the SEC office rescheduled the Iron Bowl from "Rivalry Week" to October and had Alabama playing LSU and Auburn playing Kentucky on Thanksgiving weekend instead?

Upset, sure. Make the game less of a rivalry? No. Apparently the only way the Hogs/LSu can be a rivalry is if it is played at 1:45pm on the Friday after Thanksgiving on CBS. Other wise it is simply a rent a win home game for whoever is hosting and means nothing.

theFlyingHog

Kinda like LSU.

It'll never be a rivalry until it has something extra for both teams.

I think we should start playing state. That's the only team that both teams could get chippy about. When realignment happens we'll probably be in the same conference anyway

Texas would be perfect, OU would be great but how many teams do we want that would beat us 4 of 5.  I want Arkansas State, every year, first game at WMS.  MO at Thanksgiving would be fine with me.  I really believe we got a chance to get ahead in the recent series against MO.  Looks like it may take time though.

hawganatic

Quote from: EastexHawg on August 15, 2017, 10:08:47 am

Well since they haven't won the Iron Bowl in several years, I'm sure a lot of Aub fans wouldn't mind moving the game so they can end the season with a win.

They definitely wouldn't act like the game was meaningless because it is being played earlier in the season, like a lot of Razorback fans seem to think about the LSU game.

hogsanity

Quote from: 12247 on August 15, 2017, 10:16:02 am
Texas would be perfect, OU would be great but how many teams do we want that would beat us 4 of 5.  I want Arkansas State, every year, first game at WMS.  MO at Thanksgiving would be fine with me.  I really believe we got a chance to get ahead in the recent series against MO.  Looks like it may take time though.

I want ASu to go back to FCS where they belong. I would take anyone the day after Thanksgiving as long as they come from out of state and from a state not touching the borders of AR.

You all do know there are really good programs NOT located in Texas or Oklahoma, don't you?

Dominicanhog

I agree, but USC was never Notre Dame's biggest or Notre Dame, Michigan's biggest...or Miami the biggest for FSU.. but they still had big games and respected the challenge for what it was... Texas/Arkansas was a BIG game nationally to both teams for a dozen years...

I agree also with your statement about if they move the date of Alabama/Auburn it wouldn't change the intensity of the rivalry...

We have Old Mrs.. A&M and have developed LSU a bit.. but we don't have a "national spotlight" rivalry because we haven't earned it on the field...yet..

HamSammich

Rival schmival.... who cares. Question whether or not a nice excuse to go to Hawaii every other year is not the way to go. I get goosebumps just thinking of the bazzio art we would take home and all the smoked roasted pig I'd consume.

Texas... LSU ? Really guys- Austin or baton refuse? Let's shoot for the stars!

hogsanity

Quote from: Dominicanhog on August 15, 2017, 10:22:36 am
I agree, but USC was never Notre Dame's biggest or Notre Dame, Michigan's biggest...or Miami the biggest for FSU.. but they still had big games and respected the challenge for what it was... Texas/Arkansas was a BIG game nationally to both teams for a dozen years...

I agree also with your statement about if they move the date of Alabama/Auburn it wouldn't change the intensity of the rivalry...

We have Old Mrs.. A&M and have developed LSU a bit.. but we don't have a "national spotlight" rivalry because we haven't earned it on the field...yet..

Some of those you mention are only national spotlight games because the fan bases of both teams are so large and wide spread, that they still draw eyeballs even if one or both teams are not so good. Often, at least one is near the top of the rankings. 

Dominicanhog

Quote from: hogsanity on August 15, 2017, 10:31:31 am
Some of those you mention are only national spotlight games because the fan bases of both teams are so large and wide spread, that they still draw eyeballs even if one or both teams are not so good. Often, at least one is near the top of the rankings.

True about heritage attracts eyeballs but Miami showed winning would solve all woes when it comes to recognition and visibility... FSU wasn't much before they started winning...

hogsanity

Quote from: Dominicanhog on August 15, 2017, 10:50:03 am
True about heritage attracts eyeballs but Miami showed winning would solve all woes when it comes to recognition and visibility... FSU wasn't much before they started winning...

Yea, but to create a buzz they both went out and scheduled big games against ND, who then was still the bell weather of college football. Then it just happened that both were winning when they played what was normally just a instate game.

East Clintwood

Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Ben on August 06, 2017, 06:08:13 pm
If you could pick any team outside of LSU and Mizzou to play on thanksgiving, conf or non-conf, who would you want?

TAMU!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: duck slayer on August 07, 2017, 11:07:12 am
Texas.  Make A&M home and home and play Texas in Dallas.

Quote from: geauxhawgs on August 07, 2017, 11:56:56 am
I like this!

<Sigh!> . . . when are you guys going to get it?

Listen, to ME, Texas is and always will be our biggest rival.  I know we aren't in the same conference, etc. but that's who I would want to play.

That said, the idea quoted above is a pipe dream of the highest order - for multiple common sense reasons.

First - the "good news" for those wanting this.  Certainly, the Aggies - who have bitched about the long term arrangement we have to play them in Arlington (even though it is a result of something THEY wanted!) - would jump at the chance to play us home and home.

But the Texas part JUST . . . AIN'T . . . .HAPPENING!!!!

They might play us - occasionally - in a home and home situation going forward . . . if said series are spread out every 5 to 10 years.  But they have NO interest in playing us annually.  Right or wrong, they view games with Arkansas (in the present day) as a "nothing to win" contest for them.  If Texas wins, they "should have"; and if we beat them, it is a big blow to their ego.  And, they are catching on that the games just mean more to Arkansas teams, who - by the time the game arrives - are well schooled by the older alumni about the importance of the Texas game to Arkansas.  As a result, our teams usually play harder than Texas teams do, increasing the chances of what they see as an "embarrassing" loss.  (Keep in mind, this is from the TEXAS point of view - not mine).

Secondarily, they already play OU in Dallas every years.  They don't want or need a second game in the DFW area (and, remember - they already play TCU there every other year). 

So - it's NOT going to happen with Texas - period. 

Finally, we do not need a huge non-conference game at that point in our SEC schedule.  If and when we're so fortunate as to legitimately be in the thick of the SEC race that late in the year, we don't need the distraction of a high-profile non conference game that late.

hoghearted

Quote from: hogsanity on August 15, 2017, 10:19:27 am
I want ASu to go back to FCS where they belong. I would take anyone the day after Thanksgiving as long as they come from out of state and from a state not touching the borders of AR.

You all do know there are really good programs NOT located in Texas or Oklahoma, don't you?

I agree. ASU going back to FCS would probably be the best thing for them.

It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

hoghearted

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on August 17, 2017, 02:55:32 pm

<Sigh!> . . . when are you guys going to get it?

Listen, to ME, Texas is and always will be our biggest rival.  I know we aren't in the same conference, etc. but that's who I would want to play.

That said, the idea quoted above is a pipe dream of the highest order - for multiple common sense reasons.

First - the "good news" for those wanting this.  Certainly, the Aggies - who have bitched about the long term arrangement we have to play them in Arlington (even though it is a result of something THEY wanted!) - would jump at the chance to play us home and home.

But the Texas part JUST . . . AIN'T . . . .HAPPENING!!!!

They might play us - occasionally - in a home and home situation going forward . . . if said series are spread out every 5 to 10 years.  But they have NO interest in playing us annually.  Right or wrong, they view games with Arkansas (in the present day) as a "nothing to win" contest for them. If Texas wins, they "should have"; and if we beat them, it is a big blow to their ego.  And, they are catching on that the games just mean more to Arkansas teams, who - by the time the game arrives - are well schooled by the older alumni about the importance of the Texas game to Arkansas.  As a result, our teams usually play harder than Texas teams do, increasing the chances of what they see as an "embarrassing" loss.  (Keep in mind, this is from the TEXAS point of view - not mine).

Secondarily, they already play OU in Dallas every years.  They don't want or need a second game in the DFW area (and, remember - they already play TCU there every other year). 

So - it's NOT going to happen with Texas - period. 

Finally, we do not need a huge non-conference game at that point in our SEC schedule.  If and when we're so fortunate as to legitimately be in the thick of the SEC race that late in the year, we don't need the distraction of a high-profile non conference game that late.

Sounds like the argument against the UA playing ASU
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

Hawgphat

Paulsooie

If it ain't broke, break it and see what happens!

dmacs_wife

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on August 07, 2017, 05:22:24 pm
I'm still pissed we're stuck with Missouri in some made up rivalry that will never happen. Nothing but an artificial "rivalry" the SEC threw us away with.

I feel like we are already in the making of a rivalry.... we may not like it but it's been very competitive. Also after last year's smack talk and comeback win, I could see it growing in the coming years