Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

UVa and Miami in OT with neither team at 50 points...

Started by Bogghawg, February 20, 2017, 08:08:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogghawg

How can that happen in the age of the shot clock?  It's like Dean Smith is coaching in 1980.
Never Attempt To Teach a Pig To Sing; It Wastes Your Time and Annoys the Pig

revolution

Tony Bennett is an excellent coach, but I wouldn't want him coaching the Hogs. It doesn't have to be 40 minutes of hell, but his team plays 40 minutes of root canal. I like him best from afar, admiring what he does at UVA.

BannerMountainMan

"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

Raymond Zorback

UVA only scored 41 points in their loss to UNC.  Crazy.
You can call me Ray.

hdturner

VA play some boring basketball. Defense can only take you so far.

PossumFan

Before the last 10 days or so, UVa had one of the nation's most efficient offenses. The main reason they weren't scoring a lot of points was because their defense typically has opponents taking shots late in the clock, limiting the number of possessions Virginia gets in return. It was not a bad offense to watch at all ... just not a lot of transition baskets.

That being said, the last 10 days have been a different story. I don't know what's going on, but they are in a real funk. No confidence on offense whatsover, and definitely no fun to watch. Some folks think they're just worn down. Others think there's something going on behind the scenes. All I know is it's excruciatingly painful to watch of you're a Wahoo fan. I trust Tony Bennett to get it fixed ... maybe not this year, but next or the year after. He's earned that trust with 89 wins over the previous three seasons. Come to think of it, maybe that run of success is why this stretch seems so dreadful.

PossumFan

Oh, and I might add .... I've gotten so accustomed to watching Virginia's great defense that when I watch the Hogs, I get really frustrated by all the easy buckets they give up. Love both the Hoos and the Hogs though!

biglewhog77

It was a good game I'm ready for the hogs to come back on

azhog10

UVA has great defense. But watching their offense last night makes you wonder. They run the circle offense and rely on a lot of jump shooting. If their guys aren't hitting shots, it's going to be a long night. The packline defense doesn't generate a lot of turnovers, it does force teams to take contested shots, but you won't get easy offense generated from the packline. I teach and use the packline for my high school team. We play really good defense, but it puts a lot of pressure on your half court offense to score because you aren't getting a lot of turnovers and run outs.

hogsanity

Best part of that game was that there was only one play stoppage between the tip and the 13:26 mark. The played over 6 minutes without the clock stopping one time.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

jcb03005

Quote from: Raymond Zorback on February 20, 2017, 08:30:32 pm
UVA only scored 41 points in their loss to UNC.  Crazy.

And they went like 0-16 from 3pt land.   Very boring game.
"Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose"  - Coach Taylor from Friday Night Lights

hogsanity

Quote from: jcb03005 on February 21, 2017, 09:19:22 am
And they went like 0-16 from 3pt land.   Very boring game.

must be terribly boring to be ranked for most of the last 4 seasons.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

jcb03005

"Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose"  - Coach Taylor from Friday Night Lights

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

passinghog

That can barely be described as basketball. It takes less skill to coach great defense than it does great offense in basketball.

hogsanity

Quote from: Showtimehog on February 21, 2017, 10:59:47 am
That can barely be described as basketball. It takes less skill to coach great defense than it does great offense in basketball.

BWAAAAHHHH,  LOL

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi