Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Musburger to retire.

Started by rhog1, January 25, 2017, 10:57:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

rhog1

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/brent-musburger-retiring-from-broadcasting-at-end-of-january-160359291.html

They say it is not about the Mixon comments, But the timing of this is suspicious. Looks like the SEC network will need a new lead announcer.

Sow Lancelot

All I've got to say is, "Hal-le-freaking-lu-jah."
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

sowmonella

It's about time. These last few years have been embarrassing.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

rickm1976

Athog

Quote from: rhog1 on January 25, 2017, 10:57:21 am
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/brent-musburger-retiring-from-broadcasting-at-end-of-january-160359291.html

They say it is not about the Mixon comments, But the timing of this is suspicious. Looks like the SEC network will need a new lead announcer.

Long overdue!

The Hawg Marshal

First Verne now Brent now if Beth Mowins and that dude who did the Belk Bowl would retire it would be complete.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: sevenof400 on January 25, 2017, 12:18:54 pm
On a different note, simply because someone broadcasts a lot games does not make them an all time great.  Musberger appears to have completed his career without making any meaningful contribution to or lasting impact on the game or the profession.

He was (at best) average and (barely) tolerable.

He made Katherine Webb a star.  That alone should get him our everlasting thanks.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hogsanity

Yes, lets celebrate the retirement of all the pbp guys of old, and celebrate the current crop of robots. I'd rather listen to the 92 yr old Keith Jackson who you can barely hear now than 99% of the pbp people working games.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

code red

"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

DeltaBoy

Quote from: hogsanity on January 25, 2017, 12:45:25 pm
Yes, lets celebrate the retirement of all the pbp guys of old, and celebrate the current crop of robots. I'd rather listen to the 92 yr old Keith Jackson who you can barely hear now than 99% of the pbp people working games.

Amen Keith Jackson was the King.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Jackrabbit Hog

According to al pigchino or whatever his name is, Keith Jackson couldn't hang with today's play-by-play guys. 
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

EastexHawg

I don't really understand why people hate so many commentators.  Maybe you're right and they just don't like them because they are old.  They should probably throw in that receivers have "hops" or that a play is "sick" every once in a while.  As in every other sentence...

lstewart

I didn't mind watching games Musburger called. He showed some personality and could be a little over the top at times. I guess the last few years he has had a tendency to be politically incorrect. Not sure if it was just because he did not adjust to the more sensitive times, or if his age has impacted his ability.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: lstewart on January 25, 2017, 01:18:25 pm
I didn't mind watching games Musburger called. He showed some personality and could be a little over the top at times. I guess the last few years he has had a tendency to be politically incorrect. Not sure if it was just because he did not adjust to the more sensitive times, or if his age has impacted his ability.

I think it was because he just didn't give a crap anymore.  Kinda surprised he didn't start dropping F-bombs on the air just for effect.

hogsanity

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 25, 2017, 01:20:25 pm
I think it was because he just didn't give a crap anymore.  Kinda surprised he didn't start dropping F-bombs on the air just for effect.

YEa, the old go out with a bang theory.

What is sad is guys like him and Verne and others often start to falter due to age. I still can hear Jackson in the Hogs trouncing of Texas on the play call " He's got Anderson and he's got the touchdown! "  For a minute I am 11 again, my dad is only 41, and my grandparents are still there. Then I see Jackson at the Rose bowl, I am 46, dad is 76 and my grandparents are gone. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Danimal

Bout time. It's become obvious over the last few years that Brent, much like my aging dad, can no longer take his meds correctly...

onebadrubi

I always liked his comments geared towards the spread of total

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: hogsanity on January 25, 2017, 02:02:56 pm

What is sad is guys like him and Verne and others often start to falter due to age. I still can hear Jackson in the Hogs trouncing of Texas on the play call " He's got Anderson and he's got the touchdown! "  For a minute I am 11 again, my dad is only 41, and my grandparents are still there. Then I see Jackson at the Rose bowl, I am 46, dad is 76 and my grandparents are gone.

Without question, my favorite Keith Jackson call of all time.  Perfect description and tone for Gary hauling that rainbow in over his shoulder while keeping those feet in the end zone. 

Sow Lancelot

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 25, 2017, 12:51:57 pm
I don't really understand why people hate so many commentators.  Maybe you're right and they just don't like them because they are old.  They should probably throw in that receivers have "hops" or that a play is "sick" every once in a while.  As in every other sentence...
Just a style thing. For me, Musburger always had to turn at least 80% of the plays from a game into the most momentous events in the history of sports.
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

Fort Dweller

"You are looking live" will be missed.
Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

East Clintwood

Quote from: sowmonella on January 25, 2017, 11:23:34 am
It's about time. These last few 45 years have been embarrassing.

Fix it for you.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

East Clintwood

I rarely ever have a problem with announcers of any age and I do hate losing any of the good ones.

Musburger was not one of the good ones though.  I was so happy when CBS fired him from the NFL broadcasts and darned if ABC didn't go and hire him.  He should have stayed fired or gone into calling something nobody cares about like soccer.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

sowmonella

Last time he called a decent game.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

hamsam

Quote from: hogsanity on January 25, 2017, 02:02:56 pm

Wow. That is exactly how I felt when I saw the Rose Bowl. Loved Keith Jackson. I'm 45, dad is 70 and grandparents are gone.
"I am speachless. is this program on the right freaking track or what?i love the way Pel is coaching this team. i love this team. lets just keep getting better. congrats to Pel and the hawgs.PIG SOOIE!"

Forrest City Joe   December 30, 2008

Kevin

Quote from: hamsam on January 25, 2017, 08:42:14 pm
Wow. That is exactly how I felt when I saw the Rose Bowl. Loved Keith Jackson. I'm 45, dad is 70 and grandparents are gone.

Yep, I am 52, dad 72, grand parents are gone
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

shshark00

Quote from: sowmonella on January 25, 2017, 07:56:39 pm
Last time he called a decent game.

Nah. He's had a good one since then. The one where the Muddogs won the Bourbon Bowl.

greasy_corner

I hope Mixon wished him well upon hearing of his retirement. 

ChicoHog

Quote from: lstewart on January 25, 2017, 01:18:25 pm
I agree.  I saw him today on a College Football Live interview and was asked about the Katherine Webb comment.  Brent said he could  not believe all the fuss about it. He said she was a beautiful woman.  I agree with him.  Why were people all upset about it?  So ridiculous how folks get all up in arms about a really insignificant comment that actually was very flattering.  Sure he was old but who cares as long as he did the job and I thought he was fine.

ChicoHog

Quote from: Sow Lancelot on January 25, 2017, 04:52:00 pm
Just a style thing. For me, Musburger always had to turn at least 80% of the plays from a game into the most momentous events in the history of sports.
Yeah, he got a little excited but Gus Johnson is just as bad or worse and he doesn't get half the grief Musburger does. 

NotSoFastMyFriend

I'm not a huge fan of Brent's work over the last decade but he was great in the 80s doing NBA games. Got to work in the booth with him and Gary Danielson as a runner for the Alabama @ Oklahoma game in 2002. Booth of them were class acts and very friendly.

lutherheggs

I will miss him only because when I think of the NFL as a kid in the '70's, before the 8 guys at a desk thing, it was one show: CBS's NFL Today at 11:30 for 30 min then games kicked off at 12. And NFL Today was hosted by Musberger, Phyllis George and Irv Cross. That is my memory for years in the '70's. Don't know what happened to George or what she is doing now but she was pretty good at what she did. Have not heard of Cross in decades. I assume he died.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: lutherheggs on January 25, 2017, 11:47:40 pm
I will miss him only because when I think of the NFL as a kid in the '70's, before the 8 guys at a desk thing, it was one show: CBS's NFL Today at 11:30 for 30 min then games kicked off at 12. And NFL Today was hosted by Musberger, Phyllis George and Irv Cross. That is my memory for years in the '70's. Don't know what happened to George or what she is doing now but she was pretty good at what she did. Have not heard of Cross in decades. I assume he died.

Not so fast, my friend.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/article-1/Where-Are-They-Now-CB-Irv-Cross/a5b28146-75d9-4285-ba1b-9b42f581affe

Cross, who is now retired and makes his home in Minnesota, would enjoy a 23-year career with CBS Sports as an NFL studio and game analyst. And in 2009, he was the recipient of the Pro Football Hall of Fame's Pete Rozelle Award, which recognizes long-time exceptional contributions to radio and television in professional football.

HogFan219

The Lord is good. Maybe Andre Ware could take early retirement. And somebody could rewind Keith Jackson's clock by about 45 years. He is without a doubt the gold standard.

JOKERHOG

I will miss the purvy comments about star QB's girlfriends.  Almost made him seem like one of us
BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

hogsanity

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 25, 2017, 02:39:16 pm
I always liked his comments geared towards the spread of total

In a somewhat not surprising move, he is joining the vegas sports information network.

lutherheggs

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 26, 2017, 07:10:51 am
Not so fast, my friend.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/article-1/Where-Are-They-Now-CB-Irv-Cross/a5b28146-75d9-4285-ba1b-9b42f581affe

Cross, who is now retired and makes his home in Minnesota, would enjoy a 23-year career with CBS Sports as an NFL studio and game analyst. And in 2009, he was the recipient of the Pro Football Hall of Fame's Pete Rozelle Award, which recognizes long-time exceptional contributions to radio and television in professional football.

Thanks. Cross always seemed like a good person. Glad to know he is alive and well and has had a good life. He's been out of the spot light for so long, I figured he was no longer with us.

EastexHawg

Quote from: sevenof400 on January 25, 2017, 05:53:51 pm
Always worth a replay:

I can't believe I never saw that before.  People around me are wondering what I am laughing at.

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: lutherheggs on January 25, 2017, 11:47:40 pm

Yes, I always thought Musberger did VERY well as a sports show host, where he started nation-wide. Not so good as an announcer. As has been pointed out above, he would go bonkers over a play that was only so special. It was like he had Red Barber's egg timer but used it to get over-excited instead of tell the score.

hogsanity

these are the same ones that make all Razorback teams and put no on on it that played more than 20 years ago, or claim that players from the 50' and 60's and 70's could not compete today.

SamBuckhart

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 25, 2017, 12:46:48 pm
Amen Keith Jackson was the King.
Nope. Bob Wills. Ha ha. JK. I would rather listen to Keith through an interpret or  than many play by play. I like him.
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

Fatty McGee

Agreed.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

PigDaddyKane

Well there goes a drinking game!
The only person on Hogville without an inside source for Razorback news!

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: rhog1 on January 25, 2017, 10:57:21 am

It's not just about the Mixon comments, but the Mixon comments just went to show how completely out of touch he was. 

Say what you will about Verne Lundquist, but he would never have made some of the comments that Musburger made on air.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: HogFan219 on January 26, 2017, 07:36:45 am
The Lord is good. Maybe Andre Ware could take early retirement. And somebody could rewind Keith Jackson's clock by about 45 years. He is without a doubt the gold standard.

Obviously, Dave Neal has offended the sportscasting gods somewhere along the line.  First, he was saddled with Dave Rowe, then he gets Andre Ware. 
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

hawginbigd1

I am with you, Musberger in his prime was one of the best around, there will never be another Keith Jackson IMO. I am saddened by all the voices I grew up listening to going away. The up and comers most I don't like, I will have to adjust.

I have not ever changed my opinion the best booth ever was KJ and JFB.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: hamsam on January 25, 2017, 08:42:14 pm

Ditto.  I'm 43, dad's 73, and the grandparents are gone.  That was back when New Year's Day bowls were extended family viewing.  I miss those days.

I was just talking to my family about the old Blue/Gray Game on Christmas Day.  Everyone looked at me like I was crazy.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on January 26, 2017, 10:49:00 am
I was just talking to my family about the old Blue/Gray Game on Christmas Day.  Everyone looked at me like I was crazy.

Sadly, I strongly suspect that would be considered politically incorrect today so they wouldn't allow the game to go by that name.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 26, 2017, 10:53:14 am
Sadly, I strongly suspect that would be considered politically incorrect today so they wouldn't allow the game to go by that name.

Probably not, but can you image how hot that game would be now?  SEC/ACC/Sunbelt all-star seniors vs. Everyone Else?  I'm up for some of that. 

EastexHawg

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on January 26, 2017, 10:49:00 am

I remember when Bruce James was the MVP.  No, I'm not old.