Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SI slams Bob Stoops and Oklahoma

Started by PositronHog, December 17, 2016, 12:43:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PositronHog

Sorry if already posted...

https://www.google.com/amp/www.si.com/college-football/2016/12/16/bob-stoops-joe-mixon-video-assault%3Famp%3D1#pt0-197968

Hawgey-Davidson

OU is a cesspool. Always has been.  Always will be. Deplorable.

Oklahawg

Disgusting. The first time I saw it the TV station did not show the young woman, quite disfigured, struggling to stand on her own after the punch. The punch was enough for me but the after-effects made it even worse.

This hits at a nice time - DeDe Westbrook's problems hit AFTER the Heisman finalists were announced.

Not one of Stoops' finest moments.

Many UA fans would be challenged - Westbrook is a difference maker at WR and Mixon potentially the same at RB (and a beloved 5-star recruit, to boot). Would we tolerate the recruitment of these problems? The retention of these players after incidents as a UA player? I hope not. But, the joy of winning is difficult to predict.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Tejano Jawg

Great question Okie. If there's a rising debate about the players we recruit—are they TOO good, in exchange for talent?...etc. What questionable acts (or crimes) would we tolerate? Maybe a little academic integrity? Maybe a little minor shoplifting? I don't know. I don't want the baggage Cam Newton went to Auburn with—stealing computers, and all that sleazy behind-the-scenes bidding for his services.

The last thing I could tolerate would be this kind of thing, i.e. Mixon—physical violence against women. How can the coaching staff stand for that? How can the Sooner fan base be behind this player? How could he survive one day in their program after this video hit the airwaves?

I know how proud I feel with our skill guys who get press time during their careers, giving us a little better idea what kind of dudes they are. Guys who are really easy to cheer for. I thought this about Jonathan Williams, Alex Collins. And feel this way about the Allen Bros, Drew Morgan, certainly Brooks Ellis. And most certainly Rawleigh Williams. These guys are a million miles from the trash that OU is trotting out there.

EDIT...ONE MORE THING—
And yeah, the light on Bob Stoops is as bright as anyone. What is HIS message to Oklahoma's fans, alumni, and his current team? And to younger OU fans...high school and junior high age kids who see this? But this isn't Stoops' first time taking the low road, so can you really be surprised?
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

PorkRinds

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on December 17, 2016, 02:06:01 pm
Great question Okie. If there's a rising debate about the players we recruit—are they TOO good, in exchange for talent?...etc. What questionable acts (or crimes) would we tolerate? Maybe a little academic integrity? Maybe a little minor shoplifting? I don't know. I don't want the baggage Cam Newton went to Auburn with—stealing computers, and all that sleazy behind-the-scenes bidding for his services.

The last thing I could tolerate would be this kind of thing, i.e. Mixon—physical violence against women. How can the coaching staff stand for that? How can the Sooner fan base be behind this player? How could he survive one day in their program after this video hit the airwaves?

I know how proud I feel with our skill guys who get press time during their careers, giving us a little better idea what kind of dudes they are. Guys who are really easy to cheer for. I thought this about Jonathan Williams, Alex Collins. And feel this way about the Allen Bros, Drew Morgan, certainly Brooks Ellis. And most certainly Rawleigh Williams. These guys are a million miles from the trash that OU is trotting out there.

Last paragraph is spot on. You won't see any of those guys assaulting women.

jvanhorn

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 17, 2016, 01:27:54 pm
Disgusting. The first time I saw it the TV station did not show the young woman, quite disfigured, struggling to stand on her own after the punch. The punch was enough for me but the after-effects made it even worse.

This hits at a nice time - DeDe Westbrook's problems hit AFTER the Heisman finalists were announced.

Many UA fans would be challenged - Westbrook is a difference maker at WR and Mixon potentially the same at RB (and a beloved 5-star recruit, to boot). Would we tolerate the recruitment of these problems? The retention of these players after incidents as a UA player? I hope not. But, the joy of winning is difficult to predict.

No not one of his finest moments.  This is really bad.  But  I don't think you can judge 18 years on 2 or 3 incidents.  Yes this was handled about as bad as you can handle things but you stay with one program long enough and sh-t happens.  It is the response to it that matters.  And while I give Stoops a lot of credit for bringing Oklahoma back from the dead two decades ago, he gets an F on this.  My guess is that from here on out things will be handled differently in the future.  Time will tell.

lakecityhog

Do you really think that the guy who did the things below is gonna change???

Friendly reminder that Oklahoma head coach Bob Stoops saw the video, and decided to keep Mixon on the team.

Friendly reminder that Oklahoma head coach Bob Stoops somehow knew nothing about Dede Westbrook allegedly "throwing the mother of his two children to the ground in 2012 and biting the same woman's arm and punching her with a closed fist in 2013, according to police reports." http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/collegesports/2016/12/13/bob-stoops-addresses-dede-westbrook-arrests-says-part-oklahomas-background-check-process

Friendly reminder that Oklahoma head coach Bob Stoops let Dorial Green-Beckham on the team after DGB got kicked out of Missouri for two marijuana arrests and then allegedly pushing a female Missouri student down 4 flights of stairs and had a felony warrant for first degree burglary. - http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/10766008/no-arrest-case-involving-dorial-green-beckham-missouri-tigers

Friendly reminder that Oklahoma head coach Bob Stoops let Frank Shannon back on the team after a Title IX investigation ended with him suspended for a year for sexual assault (he would have been expelled had the investigatory panel's recommendation not been overturned by OU's VP for student affairs). - http://newsok.com/article/5439532

Friendly reminder that Oklahoma head coach Bob Stoops let Justin Chaisson on the team after he kidnapped his girlfriend and threatened to kill her with a screwdriver. - thanks to /u/cms186 for the heads up - http://newsok.com/article/3356755

Friendly reminder that Oklahoma head coach Bob Stoops allowed Josh Jarboe on the team after his two felony gun charges were pleaded down to misdemeanors. However, Jarboe eventually was dismissed from the team after a YouTube video of him rapping about shooting people surfaced on the Internet. - http://newsok.com/article/3356755

Oklahoma head coach Bob Stoops, ladies and gentlemen.

lakecityhog

It is almost laughable that people have torched Baylor so badly when this kind of crap goes on at a LOT of schools today. Oklahoma is Baylor, only difference is maybe how the 2 schools are viewed publicly. But, let's face it TELEVISION is just as guilty as the schools. Do you think that the network broadcasting the Sugar Bowl wants Oklahoma playing with 3 or 4 of their "STARS" suspended???

I am not the least bit surprised by Stoops keeping the kid, BUT I am shocked that a University President would agree to this. But, then again look at how hard the Baylor Board of Regents fought over keeping Briles.

bcdeputy

I fear that most fans would tolerate this type of behavior in exchange for a few wins and a top notch bowl game.  And I also fear many Razorback fans would as well.

The real question is whether or not someone should give him a chance in the NFL.  Very similar to what happened with Ray Rice and no one wants anything to do with him... it will be very interesting come draft day.

Smokehouse

I'm in grad school at OU now. Most casual fans seems rightly shocked after seeing the video, though the most vocal message board/radio show call-in ones are taking inexcusable stances on this ("she deserved it because she pushed him first!") This is made worse by the fact that Mixon tried to physically threaten a parking attendant for giving him a ticket (when he was illegally parked at Evans hall - right outside of Boren's office!) just a month ago. Sort of undercuts any argument that he's grown or changed after getting help on campus.

OU has been nominally on the forefront of trying to handle issues like this before kids get on campus, too. They were one of the first universities to hire a private investigating firm to look into recruits before they get offered. Fact that this firm apparently didn't take the genius step of "googling Dede Westrbook's real name" + Westrbook and Mixon come in at the same time Frank Shannon was under investigation and DGB was admitted to the program makes it seem pretty obvious that it's all for show.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

Smokehouse

Quote from: bcdeputy on December 17, 2016, 02:32:41 pm
I fear that most fans would tolerate this type of behavior in exchange for a few wins and a top notch bowl game.  And I also fear many Razorback fans would as well.

The real question is whether or not someone should give him a chance in the NFL.  Very similar to what happened with Ray Rice and no one wants anything to do with him... it will be very interesting come draft day.

Hell, Penn State fans rioted at the removal of a statue of a guy who knowingly let a pedophile operate under his watch for decades. Baylor fans made Art Briles t-shirts and passed them out even after some of the worst reports had come out. Football wins are apparently intoxicating enough for most fan bases to ignore mounds of evidence of unacceptable behavior.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hawgey-Davidson on December 17, 2016, 01:20:23 pm
OU is a cesspool. Always has been.  Always will be. Deplorable.

Even their mascot is a cheater..............sooners.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

bcdeputy

Quote from: Smokehouse on December 17, 2016, 05:27:49 pm
Hell, Penn State fans rioted at the removal of a statue of a guy who knowingly let a pedophile operate under his watch for decades. Baylor fans made Art Briles t-shirts and passed them out even after some of the worst reports had come out. Football wins are apparently intoxicating enough for most fan bases to ignore mounds of evidence of unacceptable behavior.

Outstanding point Sir. 

a0ashle

If this were CBB and Arkansas I'd turn on him in a heartbeat.

As fans we play a role. We are part of the pressure these coaches feel that cause them to make poor decisions. We put winning football games above nearly everything and we look the other way when it's our team in the news for something unsavory. We will have to be the ones who change.

longpig

This 'just released' video has been accessible since it happened.  Must be a slow week at SI. 
Don't be scared, be smart.

HOGINTENNESSEE

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: longpig on December 17, 2016, 07:40:27 pm
I saw it a year or two ago so apparently it has.

I don't see how that is possible as it has been not accessible to the public as the OK courts had banned its release

Pigsfeat

I saw it as well. I don't remember what venue but I do remember seeing it right after it happened.
"You don't eat mayonnaise to be healthy!"
E. Neal

HOGINTENNESSEE

http://newsok.com/article/5480482

"The video was shown to a group of around 40 media members in September 2014 in response to those requests, though no copies were provided"

Are you 2 sure you aren't thinking of the FSU Qb that hit the girl in a bar?

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/7/6/8902327/florida-state-quarterback-deandre-johnson-arrest-assault-incident-video

kodiakisland

Quote from: longpig on December 17, 2016, 07:12:40 pm
This 'just released' video has been accessible since it happened.  Must be a slow week at SI. 

No, unless you have some pretty good connections.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

grayhawg

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: grayhawg on December 17, 2016, 07:57:24 pm
says here it has not been seen since 2014, sounds like it may have been available for a time.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/2/23/11098448/joe-mixon-video-oklahoma-football

It was shown to 40 media members in OK, along with OU ad, Stoops and Pres.

However, copies were never given to the public.

Pigsfeat

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on December 17, 2016, 08:03:00 pm
It was shown to 40 media members in OK, along with OU ad, Stoops and Pres.

However, copies were never given to the public.

I remember the FSU QB. I thought I also saw this one. I am not a member of the OK media however and I have slept a night or two since. I may be wrong HOGINTENNESSEE but I thought it was this one.
"You don't eat mayonnaise to be healthy!"
E. Neal

Hollywood_HOGan45

Stoops is garbage and always has been along with most of their fans.

3kgthog

That's a Rudy Tomjanovich-Kermit Washington level KO.

I may not agree with every way BB believes in building a program, but I'm glad to know (or at least assume in all likelihood) ANY player would be gone from the Hogs if a similar incident were to occur.

Hogs958

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on December 17, 2016, 08:25:46 pm

Never liked him. He mouths off, and just is a scumbag. I hope he gets canned for this, but I'm sure he won't. They might be the most disliked team in the country at this point.

Oklahawg

Quote from: Hogs958 on December 17, 2016, 08:32:36 pm
Never liked him. He mouths off, and just is a scumbag. I hope he gets canned for this, but I'm sure he won't. They might be the most disliked team in the country at this point.

If fired, it couldn't happen to a nicer guy. Medium-Game Bob has been overrated since about 2004.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

tusksincolorado

Quote from: Smokehouse on December 17, 2016, 05:27:49 pm

Damn I could really comment on this.....but I won't.
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

Hogs958

Cornfed Pig

Quote from: Pigsfeat on December 17, 2016, 08:22:34 pm
I remember the FSU QB. I thought I also saw this one. I am not a member of the OK media however and I have slept a night or two since. I may be wrong HOGINTENNESSEE but I thought it was this one.

To be fair, women are getting beat up and recorded left and right these days.

Inhogswetrust

December 18, 2016, 10:07:46 am #31 Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 10:59:49 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: bcdeputy on December 17, 2016, 06:05:32 pm
Outstanding point Sir. 

And we had about a 15 minute protest by maybe 10 people when Petrino was fired..............................Haha!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Smokehouse

There are guys who cover the Sooners full time who hadn't seen it until the courts forced the release this week. As far as I understand it the physical copies of the security footage have been with the Norman police department since the night of the incident.

PonderinHog

The Russians are obviously behind this leak and hate the Sooners!

tusksincolorado

Quote from: PonderinHog on December 19, 2016, 10:10:36 am

BELIEVE ME!!!
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

EastexHawg

Based on what I read on this board a lot of our fans were thrilled when a counterfeiter was reinstated to the basketball team.  It's not the same thing as hitting a woman, but in most non-athlete cases it is a federal felony.

holeinthewall

Anyone else think Mixon declares for the draft?

GoHogs1091

Basically the only non-sordid football Coaches to have been a part of the history of Oklahoma Sooners football.

Jim Mackenzie
Gary Gibbs
Larry Coker
Brent Venables

The rest of the history has been a cesspool, for example Barry Switzer, John Blake, Howard Schnellenberger, etc.

clutch

Quote from: EastexHawg on December 19, 2016, 10:36:12 am
Based on what I read on this board a lot of our fans were thrilled when a counterfeiter was reinstated to the basketball team.  It's not the same thing as hitting a woman, but in most non-athlete cases it is a federal felony.

I wasn't really too big on the move, but I can understand why some were. I don't believe you should have a second chance if you commit a crime that you could be charged with a felony. I do see how some people could be fine with it though. Big difference between violent and non-violent crime.

clutch

Quote from: PonderinHog on December 19, 2016, 10:10:36 am

Can you blame them?

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: holeinthewall on December 19, 2016, 01:06:11 pm

Doubtful.  Probably a great time to let this video out.  Season is pretty much over and now it will be all done and media will be after someone else by the time next season starts and he will be able to focus on football and not have to worry much about this issue for the season and into the draft.   
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

rhog1

http://www.si.com/college-football/2016/12/20/oklahoma-joe-mixon-police-interrogation-assault-video

Mixon says that slap felt like a dude hit him and he just reacted. He also says a Gay dude called him a racial slur.  What a POS, He should have never played a down of college ball.

Jackrabbit Hog

It was a thug, chicken-s**t move and he deserves everything he got for it, and probably more.

That being said, it continues to amaze me how human nature causes us to react the way we do to visual images, and conversely how we fail to react when we don't see the visual image.  The story is that he hit a girl...hard...so hard that it broke bones in her face.  That's bad, awful in fact.  He gets punished, then reinstated, and the furor dies down.  Then the video is released and we are SHOCKED!  And we want him punished again.  Because the first punishment wasn't enough.  Because now we've seen what we supposedly already knew.  Maybe if they re-release the video halfway through his rookie season in the NFL he can be suspended again for the remainder of that season.

I'm not making light of this.  I'd have had no problem had he been banned from any college recruitment after it happened.  But there's something just not right about the outrage after the release of the video.  Not so much how outraged we were when we saw it; more the fact that we weren't already outraged enough when we read about it.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on December 20, 2016, 12:45:20 pm
It was a thug, chicken-s**t move and he deserves everything he got for it, and probably more.

That being said, it continues to amaze me how human nature causes us to react the way we do to visual images, and conversely how we fail to react when we don't see the visual image.  The story is that he hit a girl...hard...so hard that it broke bones in her face.  That's bad, awful in fact.  He gets punished, then reinstated, and the furor dies down.  Then the video is released and we are SHOCKED!  And we want him punished again.  Because the first punishment wasn't enough.  Because now we've seen what we supposedly already knew.  Maybe if they re-release the video halfway through his rookie season in the NFL he can be suspended again for the remainder of that season.

I'm not making light of this.  I'd have had no problem had he been banned from any college recruitment after it happened.  But there's something just not right about the outrage after the release of the video.  Not so much how outraged we were when we saw it; more the fact that we weren't already outraged enough when we read about it.

This is basically the same thing I said in another thread so I understand what you are saying completely. 

Since this is a sports board I assume we all know what a punch looks like.  We knew all along that he hit a woman hard enough to break bones in her face.  What did we think the video was going to look like, a loving caress?

PorkRinds

Quote from: holeinthewall on December 19, 2016, 01:06:11 pm

Don't think he's eligible. Only been in college two years.

holeinthewall

Quote from: PorkRinds on December 20, 2016, 02:41:27 pm
Don't think he's eligible. Only been in college two years.

Wrong he was a 14 signee.  He is a redshirt SO

Hogs958

Anyone see the article today where Mixon said it felt like a guy hit him? That petite blonde hit him as hard as a guy....either Mixon is a giant weiner or he is full of sh** I'll let yall decide,  but I think the answer is obvious.

jvanhorn

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on December 17, 2016, 08:25:46 pm

Envy is a terrible thing.  Is Oklahoma perfect?  No. Have they run a mostly stable successful program for the past 18 years?  Yes.  You keep the same President, AD and Coach together for 18 years and they are the right people and you have the reputation of OU,, good things are going to happen.

jvanhorn

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on December 19, 2016, 02:56:33 pm
Basically the only non-sordid football Coaches to have been a part of the history of Oklahoma Sooners football.

Jim Mackenzie
Gary Gibbs
Larry Coker
Brent Venables

The rest of the history has been a cesspool, for example Barry Switzer, John Blake, Howard Schnellenberger, etc.

This  is one of the dumbest posts I have read in awhile.  In the first place you left out Bud Wilkinson who started it all.  He won 47 games in a row, a record that still stands.
Blake was just incompetent and had no business being a head coach.  Schnellenberger was there for 1 whole year.