Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fayetteville Has Their New Coach

Started by FANONTHEHILL, June 07, 2016, 05:48:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted77

Quote from: hog.goblin on June 08, 2016, 10:26:44 am
He won 11 games in his second year at Tulsa.  The guy can coach.  Things fell off after that.  Perhaps he wasn't a great college recruiter.

That's my working theory.

Rocket23

yraciv

Quote from: jfan01 on June 08, 2016, 10:56:47 am
All of these population citations are correct, but there was a huge deal made over the last few years about a need for a second high school in Fayetteville.  Instead of building a new school, they spent a crazy amount of money expanding the current school.  I have no dog in the fight, but I think it was a little short-sighted to do so.  My belief is that athletics were one of the major drivers for keeping just one high school.

I agree with the fact that I think athletics drove this decision.  That being said, I also feel like it's not a bad decision to keep one school instead of expanding to a 2nd.  Springdale is a prime example of a district that spent a lot of money on a shiny brand new school, while the other one was getting outdated.  And though Springdale is a fine school, Har-Ber has higher test scores, better facilities, and less diversity.  I think with splits you often run into these situations. Rogers on the other hand has done a better job handling their split, and have two high performing schools.  I expect Bentonville's will yield similar results to Rogers.

I do not see the problem with 1 high school if you have the land and capital to make it succeed.  I do have the problem with large outdated high schools that don't provide their students the best environment to grow.  Fayetteville has made strides in recent years/investments to upgrade not just athletic facilities.  They've also continued to perform at a high level in the classroom and in athletics, so I don't feel a split was all that necessary. 

There are schools twice the size of Fayetteville in Texas with similar athletic dominance, test scores, and facilities.  Now their budget may be a little different, but if they can do that with much larger enrollments, than it is feasible that Fayetteville can pull it off at their size.  I think there are schools other than Fayetteville in AR that could benefit from a split much more!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on June 08, 2016, 11:50:25 am
Yep, but they spent $45M re-doing their high school and still have limited space. Throw in the UofA's money and they could have built a new $100M high school, and we'd have more parking, lol.

Does that 100 million count the land costs for new land for more space? I bet they've saved several million by building/remodeling where they already because I'd bet for the same size school with more land they would have spent over $55 million.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: thebignasty on June 08, 2016, 11:58:33 am
The remodel was definitely short sighted, especially as Fayetteville in the few years since the decision was made has seen some rejuvenation in the growth department.

How do we know at some point in the future that their won't be a mother second high school built there. I'd almost bet that at some point there will be.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 08, 2016, 12:20:47 pm
Does that 100 million count the land costs for new land for more space? I bet they've saved several million by building/remodeling where they already because I'd bet for the same size school with more land they would have spent over $55 million.

Hell, they could have bought 256 acres on Cato Springs road for $7.3M, Jerry did, lol. I believe that's a few more than their current location.......

BirmingHam

Quote from: thebignasty on June 08, 2016, 11:56:49 am
Fayetteville High and Farmington High are 4.9 miles apart.

you are correct, must have read minutes right above on google maps.  Please forgive me. 

But, the point still is that 10 miles is not too far to bus.  In Ozark, we bused kids farther away than that in all directions.

It could be in another 10 years that Pea Ridge could be in the city limits of either Bentonville or Rogers.  Both have advanced to where there is almost nothing but housing between them.

BirmingHam

And as far as Fayetteville, they should consolidate both Greenland and Elkins in their district.  Other than politics, there is not a reason why this has not happened yet.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on June 08, 2016, 12:26:31 pm
Hell, they could have bought 256 acres on Cato Springs road for $7.3M, Jerry did, lol. I believe that's a few more than their current location.......

Would that have been a good location? I know it isn't very far from the current school but it is on the edge of town in the country (where land is generally cheaper) so to speak. Even so lets assume they could have found a likable location for $7.3 million more "in town". The cost of building ALL new buildings would have ate up all of that $55 million the UA was to give them I'd bet. Therefore it would still have been more expensive. I've done quite a bit of remodeling commercial buildings and additions and it was always cheaper than building a whole new one the same size as the renovated and additions if land had to be bought for a new one. Granted that may not be always true. I think the board would have considered it IF they though the offer would have been better enough to cover all the costs. I kind of even remember that being discussed. Even so I WAS for the move as the UA needs more land as well.   

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: BirmingHam on June 08, 2016, 12:31:22 pm
And as far as Fayetteville, they should consolidate both Greenland and Elkins in their district.  Other than politics, there is not a reason why this has not happened yet.

Greenland, Elkins, Farmington and maybe even West Fork and Prairie Grove.

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 08, 2016, 12:37:32 pm
Would that have been a good location? I know it isn't very far from the current school but it is on the edge of town in the country (where land is generally cheaper) so to speak. Even so lets assume they could have found a likable location for $7.3 million more "in town". The cost of building ALL new buildings would have ate up all of that $55 million the UA was to give them I'd bet. Therefore it would still have been more expensive. I've done quite a bit of remodeling commercial buildings and additions and it was always cheaper than building a whole new one the same size as the renovated and additions if land had to be bought for a new one. Granted that may not be always true. I think the board would have considered it IF they though the offer would have been better enough to cover all the costs. I kind of even remember that being discussed. Even so I WAS for the move as the UA needs more land as well.   

Are you failing to understand they passed a millage for $45M to re-do their current high school? $45+$55=$100m, and they are cramped for space. The tried to pass a $100M millage the year before, but it was hammered at the polls.

BirmingHam

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 08, 2016, 12:38:46 pm
Greenland, Elkins, Farmington and maybe even West Fork and Prairie Grove.

Definitely Greenland/West Fork/Elkins, but you'll never kill the neighborhood schools no matter how they are giving a less educational menu for the kids

BirmingHam

Quote from: ricepig on June 08, 2016, 12:42:35 pm
Are you failing to understand they passed a millage for $45M to re-do their current high school? $45+$55=$100m, and they are cramped for space. The tried to pass a $100M millage the year before, but it was hammered at the polls.

Prairie Grove should consolidate with Lincoln, but that will not happen either

JaketheSnake

Quote from: BirmingHam on June 08, 2016, 09:58:01 am
Pea Ridge not close to Rogers or Bentonville?  Really? Pea Ridge HS to Bentonville HS is 10.3 miles/Rogers Heritage is 10.1 miles according to Google, although Gentry HS is 23 miles from Bentonville/7 miles from Siloam Springs. But, Gravette HS only 15 from the new Bentonville HS.
Gravette HS is only going to be about 6 miles from the new Bentonville HS

BirmingHam

Quote from: JaketheSnake on June 08, 2016, 12:53:25 pm
Gravette HS is only going to be about 6 miles from the new Bentonville HS

Maybe after the Bella Vista bypass is finished.

Hogarusa

I'll ride the wave where it takes me

MikePiazza

Farmington is growing like crazy. It wouldn't shock me to see them knocking on 6A enrollment in the next 10-15 years. Prairie Grove is also growing at a significant rate as well. Could see them moving into 5A by 2024-25.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

hog.goblin

Quote from: ricepig on June 08, 2016, 10:29:09 am
Just a good high school recruiter?

Much more coaching the guys you have in high school.  High school "recruiting" is very overblown other than a player here or there.

Shiloh got the brunt of this, but now that the coaches have departed and they are playing teams of similar talent it's not talked about anymore.

ricepig

Quote from: hog.goblin on June 08, 2016, 01:34:12 pm
Much more coaching the guys you have in high school.  High school "recruiting" is very overblown other than a player here or there.

Shiloh got the brunt of this, but now that the coaches have departed and they are playing teams of similar talent it's not talked about anymore.

Really?? You haven't been keeping up with Har-Ber basketball then, lol. I know high school sports, while it isn't rampant, "recruiting" happens at about every school. Just check the "transfers" from school to school in all parts of the state. I'm not accusing him of anything, more of just commenting.

hobhog

Solid hire, but sounds pricey. What kind of salary do HS coaches make these days?

ricepig

Quote from: hobhog on June 08, 2016, 01:40:33 pm
Solid hire, but sounds pricey. What kind of salary do HS coaches make these days?

The top guys in 7A make $85-100,000, although Fayetteville was towards the lower end.

hog.goblin

Quote from: ricepig on June 08, 2016, 01:37:35 pm
Really?? You haven't been keeping up with Har-Ber basketball then, lol. I know high school sports, while it isn't rampant, "recruiting" happens at about every school. Just check the "transfers" from school to school in all parts of the state. I'm not accusing him of anything, more of just commenting.

I was talking about football.  Basketball is a very different sport where one guy can make a team (particularly in high school).

I don't keep up with high school football in huge detail, but I can only think of one or two star transfers on Farmington, Prairie Grove, or Fayetteville (the only teams I keep up with) in the last 10 years.

Of course I heard about it at Shiloh every Friday night for 10 years.

Inhogswetrust

And IF they had gotten that 55 million from the UA would they have passed that millage vote? IIRC the UA offer was before the millage vote. IF I'm wrong then they should have done the deal. I know the UA talks with them went back several years ago.

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 08, 2016, 02:59:17 pm
And IF they had gotten that 55 million from the UA would they have passed that millage vote? IIRC the UA offer was before the millage vote. IF I'm wrong then they should have done the deal. I know the UA talks with them went back several years ago.

Who knows?? They weren't going to build a new school for $55M, Bentonville West cost around $86M and they didn't build a football stadium, they'll share until they can afford one.

GuvHog

The Fayetteville School District will soon reach the point where they will have to choose to either build a second High School or build a new High School in another location and sell the existing HS property to the U of A.  That part of the state continues to grow and Fayetteville High School currently has no room to expand which will make either a High School split or an altogether move unavoidable. Just my opinion.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

thebignasty

Quote from: GuvHog on June 08, 2016, 03:35:44 pm
The Fayetteville School District will soon reach the point where they will have to choose to either build a second High School or build a new High School in another location and sell the existing HS property to the U of A.  That part of the state continues to grow and Fayetteville High School currently has no room to expand which will make either a High School split or an altogether move unavoidable. Just my opinion.
No chance they sell the current location after pouring 50mil in it.  Will just have to build a second high school sometime less than 10 years after massively renovating the old one
Quote from: IronHog on March 22, 2016, 02:08:54 pm
They shoot family in Bama
But they win
Quote from: nuttless hog on January 13, 2021, 04:03:02 pm
take me almost all day to get it up to ride it 5 minutes

Inhogswetrust

And a very rational option. I'd bet that a second one would be built. In the long run with the investment already made at the current location that makes more sense cost wise. It would also mean the most logical location for a second one would be either North or East Fayetteville.

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 08, 2016, 04:28:10 pm
And a very rational option. I'd bet that a second one would be built. In the long run with the investment already made at the current location that makes more sense cost wise. It would also mean the most logical location for a second one would be either North or East Fayetteville.

I think there have been a few to several "charter" schools to open or apply for licenses in the Fayetteville area.

Porked Tongue

Fayetteville is in fact landlocked at every single main entrance into the city. In fact, some city limits overlap into other school districts in each direction.

You literally drive out of Fayetteville and into Farmington without any in between.  Same toward Greenland, Elkins and Springdale.

The elephant in the room for Fay is the UA.  If the UA continues to grow, I would not be stunned to see them take another run at the high school property.  It's still a gold mine for them.

Fayetteville has a growing Haas Hall(3A size) inside its district.  Also a local one called New School is very popular and expanding into high school.  Rumors for years of a Catholic school development.  Heck, FHS has even started a virtual academy that is online with a teacher visiting the student on a weekly occasion and the rest being done at home.

I think it's more likely Springdale, Roges and Bentonville have a 3rd high school before Fayetteville has a second one.

Springdale is in fact going to have a 3rd school soon.  No athletics but more of a vo-tech learning kind of thing with class options at night designed to help students of other cultures get their diploma and work a job at the same time.  Springdale is still growing draws toward Hindsville, Sonora and Tontitown.

Bentonville fallout has made Gravette a larger school than imaginable.

One thing for sure, NWA is growing in every single instance but oddly Fayetteville schools are among the slowest growing.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on June 08, 2016, 01:37:35 pm

I know Har-Ber high basketball very well. One of the coaches there is a good friend of mine.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on June 08, 2016, 04:33:19 pm
I think there have been a few to several "charter" schools to open or apply for licenses in the Fayetteville area.

They would have to be approved by the School board I believe. That does not hold true for "private schools". Privates do have to be approved by the state. At least that's true in Memphis where our daughter works for one of the better Charter school companies.

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 08, 2016, 04:53:04 pm
They would have to be approved by the School board I believe. At least that's true in Memphis where our daughter works for one of the better Charter school companies.

Read Pork's post.

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 08, 2016, 04:51:55 pm
I know Har-Ber high basketball very well. One of the coaches there is a good friend of mine.

Well, then you know the story, lol.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on June 08, 2016, 04:54:41 pm
Read Pork's post.

If you mean reply #80 a tech school may or may not be a true Charter school.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on June 08, 2016, 04:55:31 pm
Well, then you know the story, lol.

Do you have an affiliation with anyone there? If not I'll be happy to PM you.

hog.goblin

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 08, 2016, 04:28:10 pm

My understanding is that the Fayetteville School Board did not want to see segregation like the schools in Springdale have had.  They upgraded the current campus so that when a second campus is built both will be very nice schools.  Of course location is key.

Hogfly

There's another option, which they (and other districts) are starting to explore:

Build in-district charter highs that appeal to different kinds of kids instead of building a second comprehensive high school. Fayetteville has the Virtual Academy. Springdale has the School of Innovation. I predict that this will be the model that a lot of districts start exploring. Keep all your athletics and large traditional programs at a single high school, then build 3-5 other "themed" schools. Then allow kids from those themed schools to participate in your athletics and other programs if they want. This also allows you to compete with the out of district charters (like Haas) who are taking your funding and talent. By spinning off your own conversion charters, you're still offering your kids the ability to participate in large programs (athletics and band) but to have a smaller, more personalized learning environment (like Haas or School of Innovation or some other innovative model).

Here's the deal: a comprehensive traditional high school only appeals to a certain percentage of kids (let's say 75% for the sake of argument). If you build a second comprehensive high school, you're still only appealing to that same 75% while missing out on the kids who don't like the traditional model. Instead of building a second comprehensive, build a myriad of alternative options while maintaining your single traditional school.

VidPig

Here to back up those who speak to Coach Blankenship's character.  He was the head coach at Spiro Oklahoma and I met him while covering sports for KFSM waaaaay back in the day.  (Mike Irwin was my boss).

Anyway, out of all the high school coaches with whom I interviewed and visited, two men stood head and shoulders above the rest;  Bill Blankenship and Barry Lunney, Sr.  I truly respect both of them. 

I was deeply saddened when I heard that Blankenship was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma in the late 80's and then happy to hear that he beat it.   

Although I have been out of that scene for many years, I will always have mad respect for Blankenship and I hope he experiences great success at FHS. 

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: hog.goblin on June 07, 2016, 05:58:59 pm
Very solid hire:

Blankenship served as the coach of Tulsa's Union High School for 14 years until 2005. There he compiled an overall 154-26 record. During his tenure, Union won eight consecutive district championships, qualified for the playoffs fourteen times, reached the quarterfinals ten times, participated in the state Class 6A championship seven times, and won the state title in 2002, 2004, and 2005. Union also amassed an unbroken home winning streak of 56 straight wins between the years 1997 and 2005.
Yeah, they were damn near unbeatable back then.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Porked Tongue on June 08, 2016, 04:48:05 pm
Fayetteville is in fact landlocked at every single main entrance into the city. In fact, some city limits overlap into other school districts in each direction.

You literally drive out of Fayetteville and into Farmington without any in between.  Same toward Greenland, Elkins and Springdale.

The elephant in the room for Fay is the UA.  If the UA continues to grow, I would not be stunned to see them take another run at the high school property.  It's still a gold mine for them.

Fayetteville has a growing Haas Hall(3A size) inside its district.  Also a local one called New School is very popular and expanding into high school.  Rumors for years of a Catholic school development.  Heck, FHS has even started a virtual academy that is online with a teacher visiting the student on a weekly occasion and the rest being done at home.

I think it's more likely Springdale, Roges and Bentonville have a 3rd high school before Fayetteville has a second one.

Springdale is in fact going to have a 3rd school soon.  No athletics but more of a vo-tech learning kind of thing with class options at night designed to help students of other cultures get their diploma and work a job at the same time.  Springdale is still growing draws toward Hindsville, Sonora and Tontitown.

Bentonville fallout has made Gravette a larger school than imaginable.

One thing for sure, NWA is growing in every single instance but oddly Fayetteville schools are among the slowest growing.

True. Plus, S'dale's district pretty much runs from Huntsville to Siloam Springs. Will soon be largest district in the state K-12. Many confuse total enrollment with the numbers the AAA uses for classifications. As I stated in an earlier post, if you split FHS "50-50, based on the last AAA #'s, both schools would be 6A. FWIW. Both SHS & Har-ber have more students, respectively, than FHS (based AAA figures). Also, keep in mind the land for Har-ber was donated by Mrs. Jones.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: BirmingHam on June 08, 2016, 11:18:22 am
Farmington HS is actually 10 miles from Fayetteville HS, but I know what you meant.  BTW, that is almost the exact same as Pea Ridge to Rogers/Bentonville.  Also, you mentioned Centerton; that's where the 2nd Bentonville is located-right on the Bentonville/Centerton border.

I got his point "not close at all", but the high school are only 10 miles from either Rogers Heritage or Bentonville; that is extremely close. I gave the mileage for people not in NWA; they may not know how close Pea Ridge is to Rogers/Bentonville or how close Gravette etc. are to the area.  Rogers currently buses from farther than 10 miles.

Bella Vista sends/buses quite a few students to Pea Ridge and Gravette, checked into this a couple of years ago when we were planning to move there.
not EVEN 10 miles, only 12 to The Grove. It's 4-5 to Farmington High School.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Dr. Starcs

Pretty clear to me that FHS upgraded in coaching and character here.

BirmingHam

Quote from: DMACKNOWS on June 08, 2016, 09:56:59 pm
Location is key. Springdale as a town is pretty segregated. Springdale high school will never have the facilities that Harber will have.  No matter when/if they build new facilities.  I don't see how splitting into two schools would've had that effect on Fayetteville, long term.   I don't believe the school board had that kind of forethought.  I think they wanted to win more football games.  That being said it's justified, because they still aren't the largest school in the area. 

Bentonville gets a lot of kids from Rogers, that live on the west side of the interstate.  Both country clubs are in Rogers, and all of those kids go private or to Bentonville.  Jack Krause lived in Rogers not Bentonville. Segregation is still alive, it's just gone about a little differently.
There is recruiting. It's more prevalent up here than I think people realize.  A lot it, though, is rich white people that have moved in, that think they should hand pick what public school their kid goes to.  In Arkansas, that is ridiculously easy to do. 

Yeah, you're right only the white people can choose where to move their kids to so to further their own needs.

Porked Tongue

I'd argue that the rich are often the ones orchestrating the player moves even if it's not their own kid.

Alas, incredible hire for Fayetteville though.

hog.goblin

Quote from: DMACKNOWS on June 08, 2016, 09:56:59 pm
Location is key. Springdale as a town is pretty segregated. Springdale high school will never have the facilities that Harber will have.  No matter when/if they build new facilities.  I don't see how splitting into two schools would've had that effect on Fayetteville, long term.   I don't believe the school board had that kind of forethought.  I think they wanted to win more football games.  That being said it's justified, because they still aren't the largest school in the area. 

Bentonville gets a lot of kids from Rogers, that live on the west side of the interstate.  Both country clubs are in Rogers, and all of those kids go private or to Bentonville.  Jack Krause lived in Rogers not Bentonville. Segregation is still alive, it's just gone about a little differently.
There is recruiting. It's more prevalent up here than I think people realize.  A lot it, though, is rich white people that have moved in, that think they should hand pick what public school their kid goes to.  In Arkansas, that is ridiculously easy to do. 

There were specific conversations about a second high school in NW Fayetteville.  If Fayetteville can be segregated at all, it's the south side that's a little more poor and more diverse.  But overall the community has done well to try and invest and balance that out.  There were concerns that the west and more mid-town-east-and-up would end up with a better school and result in a problem similar to Springdale.

There were also discussions about the football team being weakened.

I think it was a decent compromise.

I would have preferred they have taken the U of A money and run to some other location and build a huge campus.  But having a really good (limited space) campus (with horrible parking), and adding a 2nd one in the next 10 years will work.

If Haas Hall and the New School continue to grow it may not be necessary.

Fatty McGee

Quote from: hog.goblin on June 08, 2016, 10:50:36 pm
There were specific conversations about a second high school in NW Fayetteville.  If Fayetteville can be segregated at all, it's the south side that's a little more poor and more diverse.  But overall the community has done well to try and invest and balance that out.  There were concerns that the west and more mid-town-east-and-up would end up with a better school and result in a problem similar to Springdale.

There were also discussions about the football team being weakened.

I think it was a decent compromise.

I would have preferred they have taken the U of A money and run to some other location and build a huge campus.  But having a really good (limited space) campus (with horrible parking), and adding a 2nd one in the next 10 years will work.

If Haas Hall and the New School continue to grow it may not be necessary.

New School will be unlikely to relieve much of the pressure any time soon.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

ricepig

Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 09, 2016, 10:23:52 am

Is there pressure now?

Philip Seaton

Enrollment does not matter the AAA and the federal, state governments use what is called Average Daily Membership (or ADM). The AAA takes in only grades 10 through 12 to determine classifications. Average Daily Membership is the number of students that attend school on any given school day. That is why class attendance is counted. That is why some schools during inclement weather make a school day go as long as possible to get to that threshold that the government uses for what is considered a full day. School A could have 125 students enrolled and School B could have 100 students enrolled, but if school A only has an ADM of 85 and school B has an ADM of 95, then school B would be classified as larger by the AAA. Hope that clarifies some of the misconception.

By the way, the hire is a very good one in my opinion.

hog.goblin

Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 09, 2016, 10:23:52 am

Quote from: ricepig on June 09, 2016, 10:41:12 am
Is there pressure now?

Only for parking

ricepig