Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fayetteville Has Their New Coach

Started by FANONTHEHILL, June 07, 2016, 05:48:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: ricepig on June 09, 2016, 12:32:24 pm
For students on a daily basis?
naw, not really. Sucks to pick up or drop off my son, though.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

ricepig

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 09, 2016, 12:34:12 pm
naw, not really. Sucks to pick up or drop off my son, though.

Just for ball games, luckily for FHS, the don't pack them in, unless Bentonville is the visitors.

FANONTHEHILL

To the three people who posted in here regarding Coach Blankenship thank you.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

MikePiazza

Quote from: ricepig on June 09, 2016, 12:48:08 pm
Just for ball games, luckily for FHS, the don't pack them in, unless Bentonville is the visitors.

Bentonville vs. Fayetteville basketball games will look like a ghost town this year compared to the previous three years.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

BirmingHam

Quote from: DMACKNOWS on June 08, 2016, 10:25:00 pm
I think the rich part is more significant. 

I was attacking the rich white choosing where to send their kids in NWA, like LR doesn't share this trait with minority students.  Not a area specific situation.  Even when I lived outside Birmingham, I sent my son to Oneonta instead of Locust Fork.  It had to do with level of education being taught, and the Locust Fork school not really caring to upgrade their standards.  Even happened in the 70's with Ozark/Altus/PV.  You just had to add that racial dig, and I bet you'll find that rich minority families transfer their kids too (Monk, ahmm)

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: BirmingHam on June 09, 2016, 02:43:30 pm
I was attacking the rich white choosing where to send their kids in NWA,like LR doesn't share this trait with minority students.  Not a area specific situation.  Even when I lived outside Birmingham, I sent my son to Oneonta instead of Locust Fork.  It had to do with level of education being taught, and the Locust Fork school not really caring to upgrade their standards.  Even happened in the 70's with Ozark/Altus/PV.  You just had to add that racial dig, and I bet you'll find that rich minority families transfer their kids too (Monk, ahmm)

Happens EVERYWHERE all across the country and world and it's not always rich white. It's just plain rich.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Oklahawg

Odd that so many are arguing about data that is easily researched.

And not talking about Blankenship.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on June 09, 2016, 01:03:38 pm
To the three people who posted in here regarding Coach Blankenship thank you.

By the way, the only better hire they might have made from the Region might have been Allen Trimble from Jenks HS who is apparently having some issues with the Jenks Administration, but they will probably do everything that they can to retain him.

Bill Blankenship will prove to be a very good hire for Fayetteville HS.
Go Hogs Go!

bcdeputy

Quote from: ricepig on June 07, 2016, 08:48:06 pm
The size of the city has nothing to do with the size of a school district, lol.

Nothing to do with it?  Think again...

ricepig

Quote from: bcdeputy on June 09, 2016, 08:16:47 pm
Nothing to do with it?  Think again...

Jonesboro has 70,000 and Greenwood has 9000, yet they are in the same classification, why, school district size.

Oklahawg

Tulsa Union provided Terrell Williams (LB, booted before the last RRS game his senior year) and, earlier, Zach Snider (transferred out to TU so he could be close to a dying father, Gary, a Blankenship assistant at Union and earlier an assistant at OSU).

Jones was Tulsa Washington, and is the uncle of Keon Hatcher (not many know this). Jones was very instrumental in helping Hatcher feel good about UA.

Recruiting happens in HS sports. A lot. Easier for it to be from public schools to private schools (go look up the long-running HV saga over Walt Williams/Pinnacle Preps and Shiloh Christian), but it does work otherwise. Around here, it happens from outlying smaller districts to the large, booming, suburban schools.

A prime example: Dylan Bundy left small-ish 3A Sperry (after being named Gatorade POY as a sophomore) for Owasso HS.  Bundy was the #4 MLB pick after his senior year at Owasso (three-time POY in OK, unheard of) and destined for big things. Arm issues related to overuse have relegated him to middle relief this year.

KeJuan Jones lived in the Tulsa Hale school district. Jenks found his mom a job that included complimentary housing in the Jenks district so Jones could transfer there for his last couple of years. Jones played at OU and later for Green Bay.

Coweta (mid-size 5A) went from 2-8 to a semi-finalist the year that Ron Lancaster (Trimble's predecessor at Jenks) went to Broken Arrow and instituted "get tough", "old school" policies on summer workouts. Half of the returning starters missing workouts or were late and Lancaster booted them, and they magically transferred to Coweta.

Transfers happen.

Blankenship inherited the reins at TU from Todd Graham who job-hopped to Pitt and then out west. He had been a position coach at TU for several years. He had two great seasons to start at TU but suffered a similar fate as Dave Rader, a decade earlier - he was the local guy who was nice, if not revered. He struggled making business decisions with both players and coaches. Players needed the boot or coaches needing the ax didn't always meet that fate.

He said he wanted to "recruit on a tank of gas" and did well. He struggled to fend off P5 conference teams which tells me that he was not an ace closer.

He is a class act and will do nothing to slow down the D1 pipeline leaving FHS.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 09, 2016, 08:00:04 pm
By the way, the only better hire they might have made from the Region might have been Allen Trimble from Jenks HS who is apparently having some issues with the Jenks Administration, but they will probably do everything that they can to retain him.

Bill Blankenship will prove to be a very good hire for Fayetteville HS.

Rumor I heard was that Trimble announced his retirement from Jenks, since reneged, because he was being courted by FHS. He used the opening to fix his issues at Jenks, and they have made up and appear poised for another long run of championship game appearances.

Porked Tongue

June 09, 2016, 08:36:06 pm #112 Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 09:06:06 pm by Porked Tongue
Trimble apparently doesn't want any other duties besides coaching and is clashing with Jenks administration over that issue.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Oklahawg on June 09, 2016, 08:24:32 pm
Tulsa Union provided Terrell Williams (LB, booted before the last RRS game his senior year) and, earlier, Zach Snider (transferred out to TU so he could be close to a dying father, Gary, a Blankenship assistant at Union and earlier an assistant at OSU).

Jones was Tulsa Washington, and is the uncle of Keon Hatcher (not many know this). Jones was very instrumental in helping Hatcher feel good about UA.

Recruiting happens in HS sports. A lot. Easier for it to be from public schools to private schools (go look up the long-running HV saga over Walt Williams/Pinnacle Preps and Shiloh Christian), but it does work otherwise. Around here, it happens from outlying smaller districts to the large, booming, suburban schools.

A prime example: Dylan Bundy left small-ish 3A Sperry (after being named Gatorade POY as a sophomore) for Owasso HS.  Bundy was the #4 MLB pick after his senior year at Owasso (three-time POY in OK, unheard of) and destined for big things. Arm issues related to overuse have relegated him to middle relief this year.

KeJuan Jones lived in the Tulsa Hale school district. Jenks found his mom a job that included complimentary housing in the Jenks district so Jones could transfer there for his last couple of years. Jones played at OU and later for Green Bay.

Coweta (mid-size 5A) went from 2-8 to a semi-finalist the year that Ron Lancaster (Trimble's predecessor at Jenks) went to Broken Arrow and instituted "get tough", "old school" policies on summer workouts. Half of the returning starters missing workouts or were late and Lancaster booted them, and they magically transferred to Coweta.

Transfers happen.

Blankenship inherited the reins at TU from Todd Graham who job-hopped to Pitt and then out west. He had been a position coach at TU for several years. He had two great seasons to start at TU but suffered a similar fate as Dave Rader, a decade earlier - he was the local guy who was nice, if not revered. He struggled making business decisions with both players and coaches. Players needed the boot or coaches needing the ax didn't always meet that fate.

He said he wanted to "recruit on a tank of gas" and did well. He struggled to fend off P5 conference teams which tells me that he was not an ace closer.

He is a class act and will do nothing to slow down the D1 pipeline leaving FHS.

I always thought he was far better at the HS level than at the college level.

On another note, Northeastern State (D-II at Tahlequah, OK) had a chance to hire Trimble two years ago and the NSU AD vetoed the move, choosing to go the less expensive route of hiring a former OC as HC who had never been a HC at any level previously. NSU blew it. Trimble would have rebuilt their program to previous levels of success. Penny smart and dollar dumb.

Back to Fayetteville HS, they will love Bill and he will do an outstanding job for them. Before it is over he will be bringing in some nationally top ranked teams from other states to play FHS. Promotion of the program. They will love this guy.
Go Hogs Go!

snoblind

Quote from: ricepig on June 09, 2016, 08:22:06 pm
Jonesboro has 70,000 and Greenwood has 9000, yet they are in the same classification, why, school district size.

Incorporating all that farmland decades ago has come in handy for Greenwood now that they are Fort Smith subdivisions.

thebignasty

Quote from: Oklahawg on June 09, 2016, 07:58:35 pm
Odd that so many are arguing about data that is easily researched.

And not talking about Blankenship.

Would be a lot more talk about the hire if it was a poor hire.  Fayetteville fans aren't very zealous, and I doubt those that dislike Fayetteville want to praise the hire,  which is all you can really do. It's an home run.

ricepig

Quote from: thebignasty on June 09, 2016, 11:32:33 pm
Would be a lot more talk about the hire if it was a poor hire.  Fayetteville fans aren't very zealous, and I doubt those that dislike Fayetteville want to praise the hire,  which is all you can really do. It's an home run.

Yep, and it's high school sports, which most don't pay attention too, and of course, it's HV where we delve into the more important aspect associated with it, lol.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on June 09, 2016, 08:22:06 pm

One of the dumbest things for school districts in Arkansas is all the separate ones in Jonesboro. People live in one part of town or another not for a different school but for a whole different school district.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

GuvHog

June 10, 2016, 09:24:48 am #118 Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 09:43:55 am by GuvHog
Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 10, 2016, 07:45:18 am
One of the dumbest things for school districts in Arkansas is all the separate ones in Jonesboro. People live in one part of town or another not for a different school but for a whole different school district.

That shows how much that era is growing.

1 6A school (Jonesboro)
2 5A schools (Nettleton, Valley View)
1 4A school (Brookland) Just outside of the City limits
1 3A school? (Westside) Just outside of the City Limits
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

majestic

Quote from: ricepig on June 09, 2016, 12:32:24 pm
For students on a daily basis?
Yes, parking is BS. I wish they would have taken the money from the U of A and built a new facility with more room. 
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GuvHog on June 10, 2016, 09:24:48 am

1 6A school (Jonesboro)

Sure that area is growing. That's one reason why I work up there some. It is the only area in east Arkansas that is growing at a decent rate. But those separate districts go way back to other era's (sorry I couldn't resist). You can literally live across the street and be in a separate school district not simply a different school attendance assignment.

GuvHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 10, 2016, 10:14:39 am
Sure that area is growing. That's one reason why I work up there some. It is the only area in east Arkansas that is growing at a decent rate. But those separate districts go way back to other era's (sorry I couldn't resist). You can literally live across the street and be in a separate school district not simply a different school attendance assignment.

Agreed. My family is originally from that area (we were all born in NEA) so I know what you mean.

ricepig

Quote from: GuvHog on June 10, 2016, 09:24:48 am

1 6A school (Jonesboro)
Both Brookland and Westside(4A) have property inside the city limits. There's also a 1A, Ridgefield, a private school in the city. I go back and forth on one countywide district with different schools, all one has to do is look at LRSD and Memphis/Shelby County for big screw ups.

Inhogswetrust

June 10, 2016, 11:00:30 am #123 Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 11:16:46 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: ricepig on June 10, 2016, 10:49:55 am
Both Brookland and Westside(4A) have property inside the city limits. There's also a 1A, Ridgefield, a private school in the city. I go back and forth on one countywide district with different schools, all one has to do is look at LRSD and Memphis/Shelby County for big screw ups.

IIRC Nettleton and Valley View also have "property" inside Jonesboro city limits but I could be wrong. Huge difference in metro population size in Pulaski and Shelby counties. Don't forget there are still more than one school district in those counties as well. Also as Memphis annexed areas in the past some Shelby County schools were absorbed into Memphis city schools. That is until Memphis City schools gave up their chapter w=and it was forced by state law to be absorbed by Shelby county schools. THAT might have been the straw that broke the camels backs to speak for the suburbs finally having enough political pull to get the state law changed to where they could vote on each having their own separate school systems. So know there is Shelby County school for unincorporated areas and the city of Memphis and all the suburbs each have their own separate schools for that town. Ironically over time in the future there might not be any unincorporated areas in Shelby county and the Shelby county school district will in effect become Memphis City schools again. Ease of annexation in TN is one reason in the past that a lot of political battles have been fought in the state and particularly Shelby county.

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 10, 2016, 11:00:30 am
IIRC Nettleton and Valley View also have "property" inside Jonesboro city limits but i could be wrong. Huge difference in metro population size in Pulaski and Shelby counties. Don't forget there are still more than one school district in those counties as well.

Yep, Nettleton is all inside the limits, and VV's districts population is. Jonesboro city limits is something like 80sq miles, lots of area. LR's is something around 116sq miles.

RD

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 07, 2016, 06:12:05 pm
I'm not sure if I remember a better hire in Arkansas High school for as long as I can remember.
Rick Jones hasn't done bad in Greenwood.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: RD on June 10, 2016, 11:17:06 am
Rick Jones hasn't done bad in Greenwood.

Maybe so but I wasn't as familiar with him prior as much as Blankenship.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 10, 2016, 10:14:39 am
that was set up by racists to keep the black kids in a darn school and away from their good lil whities. Can't believe it hasn't been fixed.

IMO, while we don't necessarily have to apologize for our ancestors, we DO have a responsibility to acknowledge and clean up their messes.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

GuvHog

Quote from: ricepig on June 10, 2016, 10:49:55 am

I know part of Brookland and Westside school Disticts are in the Jonesboro city limits but aren't their actual school campuses located outside of the Jonesboro City limits??

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GuvHog on June 10, 2016, 11:29:39 am
I know part of Brookland and Westside school Disticts are in the Jonesboro city limits but aren't their actual school campuses located outside of the Jonesboro City limits??

I believe Brookland is a separate incorporated town and their district might have included unincorporated areas eventually annexed by Jonesboro instead of them. I don't believe or remember if Westside ever was or is a separate town. I know that when Nettleton was annexed that one of the agreements was they could keep their own school district.

GuvHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 10, 2016, 11:34:11 am
I believe Brookland is a separate incorporated town and their district might have included unincorporated areas eventually annexed by Jonesboro instead of them. I don't believe or remember if Westside ever was or is a separate town. I know that when Nettleton was annexed that one of the agreements was they could keep their own school district.

Westside is located in Herman which obviously is just west of Jonesboro.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GuvHog on June 10, 2016, 11:43:00 am
Westside is located in Herman which obviously is just west of Jonesboro.

I know where it is. Just didn't know if it had ever been a separate town.

Pig in the Pokey

I can't believe this thread made it three pages without being derailed by ..... trains.

GuvHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 10, 2016, 12:05:06 pm

It's an unincorporated community.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GuvHog on June 10, 2016, 12:15:32 pm
It's an unincorporated community.

That I know. The key words in my post were "had ever been" which means at any point in time which means in the past. 

ricepig

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 10, 2016, 11:23:19 am
that was set up by racists to keep the black kids in a darn school and away from their good lil whities. Can't believe it hasn't been fixed.

IMO, while we don't necessarily have to apologize for our ancestors, we DO have a responsibility to acknowledge and clean up their messes.

You have no idea what you are talking about, but that's nothing new, lol.

Inhogswetrust

June 10, 2016, 12:28:07 pm #136 Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 03:28:46 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 10, 2016, 11:23:19 am

Worse case of that I ever saw was ElDorado and Parkers Chapel. All of the one's around Jonesboro were not set up for that reason except maybe one of them for growth.

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 10, 2016, 12:05:06 pm

Nope, just a school district. It's Westside Consolidated School District, made up of Bono, Egypt, and probably some other one, haha.

GuvHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 10, 2016, 12:17:36 pm
That I know. The key words in my post were "had ever been" which means at any point in time which means in the past. 

I understand. Herman has always been separate from Jonesboro.

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 10, 2016, 11:34:11 am

Yep, Brookland is benefiting from the growth of Jonesboro to the north. Parts of Sage Meadows is in Brookland's district, and Terra Hills and several other new developments down highway 351.

GuvHog

June 10, 2016, 12:38:15 pm #140 Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 02:00:44 pm by GuvHog
Quote from: ricepig on June 10, 2016, 12:31:38 pm
Yep, Brookland is benefiting from the growth of Jonesboro to the north. Parts of Sage Meadows is in Brookland's district, and Terra Hills and several other new developments down highway 351.

Yep, I know it well. A couple of my cousins graduated from there. One of them was killed at a railroad crossing just north of Farrville on Thanksgiving day of 1972.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: ricepig on June 10, 2016, 12:26:01 pm
You have no idea what you are talking about, but that's nothing new, lol.
sure, buddy.

ricepig

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 10, 2016, 02:00:46 pm
sure, buddy.

I'm speaking of the district's we're talking about in this thread, those I know about, other districts, I won't comment.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 10, 2016, 12:12:08 pm
I can't believe this thread made it three pages without being derailed by ..... trains.

Or claims of racism, which needs to stop. Then is not now. Let's please get back on the topic of the hire at FHS before this thread ends up getting locked.
Go Hogs Go!

LZH

Hasn't FHS been winning a lot of football games recently? Why did Patton leave, and why in the world did he end up at a place like Bauxite? Fayetteville >>>> Bauxite.

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on June 12, 2016, 10:30:00 am
Hasn't FHS been winning a lot of football games recently? Why did Patton leave, and why in the world did he end up at a place like Bauxite? Fayetteville >>>> Bauxite.

Did you seriously miss the threads moved to V+R?

LZH

Quote from: ricepig on June 12, 2016, 10:31:17 am
Did you seriously miss the threads moved to V+R?

Apparently. This morning was the first time I even clicked on this thread at all.

Add: Oh. Oooh. Ruh-roh Coach.....

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: LZH on June 12, 2016, 10:32:49 am
Apparently. This morning was the first time I even clicked on this thread at all.

Add: Oh. Oooh. Ruh-roh Coach.....

On the other hand, the guy that they hired (Bill Blankenship) is far better all the way around, than the guy that they fired. A bad situation provided FHS with an unexpected upgrade in coaching.
Go Hogs Go!

LZH

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 12, 2016, 11:31:52 am
On the other hand, the guy that they hired (Bill Blankenship) is far better all the way around, than the guy that they fired. A bad situation provided FHS with an unexpected upgrade in coaching.

Yeah, that's right. Can't argue with the man's record.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: LZH on June 12, 2016, 12:56:19 pm
Yeah, that's right. Can't argue with the man's record.

On top of that, he is a real "character...walk the straight line" kind of guy who the Administration, parents and players will love. He built the Tulsa Union program into something really special on a national level, not just in the state. And, while he is a program developer, he also knows how to be a program promoter. It won't be very long before he is probably trying to schedule marquee games with large national high school powers to come into Fayetteville to play. My guess is, he will get a lot of support from Bielema and Arkansas.

If I sound like I am an advocate of Bill Blankenship, it is because I am. I think he's a much better high school program coach than college coach and he is a very good man. Big time win for FHS and the Hogs.
Go Hogs Go!