Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

40 Years Ago Today...

Started by nesjunk, January 02, 2018, 10:02:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Tejano Jawg

"On January 2nd, 1978...the Okies and Arkies had a little date." Remember that little tune?...I thought about that last night. The song helps me remember that the game wasn't on Jan 1st.

Jim Simpson and Merlin Olsen. How glorious.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Pigsknuckles

Is Lou wearing a University of Miami hat in the intro?
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Hoot72

May be the best defense that the Razorbacks ever fielded!  I read article once, where Holtz said that Monte Kiffin walked into his office two weeks before the game saying, "We've got'em."  Holtz said that never doubted that they would win, once Kiffin said that.  Would love to see a similar defense now.

tlmack

And I was there ! Can't believe that was 40 years ago.

LZH

Love watching those old commercials.

pignparadise

Again who is dressed out in Donnie BoBo's uniform?
"The race is long.. and in the end it's only with yourself.....", Baz Luhrman "Sunscreen"

redleg

I was 6 years old when this game was played. I remember watching my dad jump up and down on the couch in our living room, hollaring at the TV and laughing his butt off!  ;D
I became a Hog fan that night!
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

BloodRedHog

Quote from: LZH on January 02, 2018, 10:27:51 am
Love watching those old commercials.

Goodyear...Tiempo?
National Airlines?
Those commercials were great.
Handling all your mortgage and home financing needs...

BloodRedHog

Quote from: Hoot72 on January 02, 2018, 10:09:02 am
May be the best defense that the Razorbacks ever fielded!  I read article once, where Holtz said that Monte Kiffin walked into his office two weeks before the game saying, "We've got'em."  Holtz said that never doubted that they would win, once Kiffin said that.  Would love to see a similar defense now.

I remember that, too.
I think it was an Orville Henry piece where Holtz walked into JFB's office after watching film and told Frank he had doubt they would win.
Handling all your mortgage and home financing needs...

(notOM)Rebel123

"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

LZH

Quote from: BloodRedHog on January 02, 2018, 11:09:08 am
Goodyear...Tiempo?
National Airlines?

Doesn't seem that long ago.

Inhogswetrust

January 02, 2018, 11:14:07 am #12 Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 11:35:27 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: Pigsknuckles on January 02, 2018, 10:07:35 am
Is Lou wearing a University of Miami hat in the intro?

Yes he was. Surprised Frank didn't fire him on the spot! To say Lou is/was an enigma is an understatement. WHY on earth would ANY coach wear another teams hat on TV or anywhere in public.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 02, 2018, 11:14:07 am
Yes he was. Surprised Frank didn't fire him on the spot! To say Lou is/was an enigma is an understatement. WHY on earth would ANY coach wear another teams hat on Tv or anywhere in public.

When he went out to tape the pregame comments, it was raining & Lou didn't have a hat, so someone gave him that one to wear. Just a spur of the moment thing.

pghawg1

Don't u all Know O U was drugged that Night. We drug them All over the field. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D. W P S

Torqued pork

I mostly remember being in such a state of shock I was reluctant to believe what I was seeing until the last minute or two of the game.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on January 02, 2018, 11:15:51 am
When he went out to tape the pregame comments, it was raining & Lou didn't have a hat, so someone gave him that one to wear. Just a spur of the moment thing.

Why did he need a hat with an umbrella.....................If I were the coach I would never agree to wear another teams hat under any circumstances in public. Especially on national TV.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 02, 2018, 11:34:53 am
Why did he need a hat with an umbrella.....................If I were the coach I would never agree to wear another teams hat under any circumstances in public. Especially on national TV.

The umbrella was a last second addition and he didn't think to take off the cap (According to a guy I know who was working in the staff at the time). Plus, they blotted out "Miami Hurricanes" on the cap but you could still see the logo. But It was 1978. Nobody gave a crap about it....until....well now.

Tejano Jawg

It's a trip watching the broadcast as it was, commercials, pre-game and all. This will take awhile to get through. I'll watch a few minutes every chance I get.

I remember the opening segment, with Switzer under the umbrella in the rain. And I thought it was more obvious that Holtz was not in the rain (interesting story here about Lou's cap), like the bad weather was only on the Oklahoma side...maybe I just imagined it. Or it was a strange positive premonition.

So many great details, like the short-lived NBC "N" logo. Forgot that Frank did the opening prayer. It's funny hearing how the play-by-play and color are done...Merlin sounded very subdued at first. And when he was introducing OU's offensive line, I could swear he says their right tackle is a "full-blooded Indian." I backed it up several times, can't figure out anything else he could've said.

I was a freshman in high school then, and was watching the game with my parents in our living room. We all came out of our seats on every good play. Like every play in OU's first series...we were just hammering them. Heck, they fumbled on their first play, but Sims recovered it. I love our first snap, with Calcagni keeping on a nice option run. He was so money running the veer-option. And after Sales scored on the next play, Jim Simpson exclaims "What a day for football!" Indeed.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

bennyl08

Sgt Pepper taught the band to play...
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

rzrbkman

I was trying to remember just how late the game kicked off due to the Rose Bowl taking so long to complete. I was thinking 8:15 or 8:30 CST and it lasted until almost midnight. Public school started back up the next day but I'm guessing a lot of kids had no problem getting up that morning.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: rzrbkman on January 02, 2018, 12:57:52 pm
I was trying to remember just how late the game kicked off due to the Rose Bowl taking so long to complete. I was thinking 8:15 or 8:30 CST and it lasted until almost midnight. Public school started back up the next day but I'm guessing a lot of kids had no problem getting up that morning.

Heck everyone I know didn't even go to sleep after that!

rljjr

I was 9. We had to go to school the next day if I remember right and I hadn't done my homework during the Christmas break. I was forced to sit in my room and do my homework while all the hooting and hollering was going on in the living room. I managed to fake my homework pretty quickly during my sneak peeks at the TV from behind everyone. I sure was extra thirsty too, having to get up and go to the kitchen every few minutes. What a game.

Corkscrew Johnson

Even Houston Nutt got in a few snaps at QB.  I wonder if he claimed credit for those play calls. 

LZH

"Full blooded Indian "......

I heard that too.

I remember the game well.  Was working out of town and had just got home for a few days and had a few friends over for drinks.  One was an OU grad who just wouldn't shut up about how bad Arkansas was going to lose, especially after Holtz suspended 3 or 4 better players.  Well, I finally offered that we would likely lose the game but was certain we could cover the points which were Hogs + 20 where I was at.  That got a chuckle from the OU grad and he wondered how much I was willing to play that for.  I stated a bunch and he called me on that.  I laid down 12 one hundred dollar bills on the coffee table expecting him to say lets stay within reason but he covered the bet with his own hundred dollar bills.  40 years ago, those 100 dollar bill were each worth about 250 in today's money.  His wife and my lady friend, having not drank as much as he and I went down the line picking up the money until there was 100 dollars each left.  After a good scolding by the women, we agreed that was fair and history tells the rest. 

A very good friend, a big OU supporter and an overall good person, but he had to pay off in front of all our buddies the next day.  As any gambler knows, its not always how much but how you accept the win and it must be wherever brings the most disgrace to the loser.  I've certainly been on both sides of that.

Roland Sales, from zero  to hero. 

Mo_Better_Hogs

This video is fantastic. I've never seen it, who dug that up? I'm only a few minutes in, so bad-ass, this will take some time to get through. I was in 8th grade, and no, going back to school didn't hurt so much because everyone was sky high from the game. It's all anyone wanted to talk about.

We all know about Cowins, Forest and Bobo getting suspended, but I didn't remember our All-American o-lineman Leotis Harris was out with an injury. Wow, that's a big hole to fill, but someone filled it. It was just our night!

hogsanity

Love watching that. Lineup snap, huddle, lineup snap. No prairie dog, no giant posters on the sidelines.

I was 7 yrs old when that game was played, and I was lucky the school I went to did not start back until the 4th, so I got to stay up and watch the whole game.

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

swinemaster

I was also 7 years old but we lived in Los Angeles.  About 8 or 10 of our cousins were visiting from Arkansas.  We took them all to Disneyland and then watched this game the next day.  I remember it like it was yesterday.  It was also the day that I became a Razorback fan.  We moved to Arkansas the next summer.

nesjunk

We moved to Oklahoma just the summer before.  We took a lot of ribbing from the locals prior to the game.  The next day, Dad took a sack of oranges to work and passed them out.  It's really a shame that rivalry hasn't been nourished.  There is real potential there.

wildturkey8

Quote from: BloodRedHog on January 02, 2018, 11:09:08 am
Goodyear...Tiempo?
National Airlines?

American Exceptionalism.  What a great time.

Arthur pigby sellers.

"Sgt. Pepper taught the band to play?"

welchog

Quote from: tlmack on January 02, 2018, 10:12:09 am

Same here.  First Hog game I saw in person.  And only second in color.

longtimeHogfan

I wasn't there but I know where I was!  WPS!
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

elksnort

I was there.  One of my favorite times of my life.

I could go on and on about this game my dad's mother's house was about 20 blocks west of there and I went to school 55 miles north of there I was 12 years old. The halftime show at the Orange Bowl was one of the first big Productions of halftime shows. They passed out these orange flashlights to everyone

Albert Einswine

We watched it on TV. It was a continuous celebration that night. I was 27 days shy of my 12th birthday.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

LZH

Quote from: elksnort on January 02, 2018, 07:22:10 pm
I was there.  One of my favorite times of my life.

I could go on and on about this game my dad's mother's house was about 20 blocks west of there and I went to school 55 miles north of there I was 12 years old. The halftime show at the Orange Bowl was one of the first big Productions of halftime shows. They passed out these orange flashlights to everyone

Little Havana!

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Arthur pigby sellers. on January 02, 2018, 06:23:02 pm
"Sgt. Pepper taught the band to play?"

Uh, that was "20 years ago..."😉

Hogtimes

January 02, 2018, 08:16:02 pm #39 Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 08:48:36 pm by Hogtimes

Couple of years ago I saw an interview with Holtz talking about that game.   He said OU was so good and so confident that they had become predictable and Arkansas game planned for that.  That is probably what Kiffin was referring to in an above post.   The plan gave Arkansas the edge they needed.

He also said something else that will probably get me a bunch of smites....but I am just repeating what Holtz  said.   What he said was.... if they would have had to play OU again, OU would have beaten them badly.

murthage

Thanks for the video... really enjoyable evening watching every second on a bitter cold afternoon.  Houston Nutt was a part of the history...... how ironic. Don't take that for anymore than it is... reliving the past.  Back then, everybody knew Ron Calcagni, Roland Sales, Dan Hampton, etc.  Never remembered Huston Nutt as a player. 

PigTimePlayer

wow...and a televised opening prayer by Frank Broyles. Hard to imagine that today. Great video.
Advice for reading posts on Hogville:  Think about how stupid the average person is.  Then, remember that half of the people are more stupid than that.  So relax and take it easy on 'em.

Razorbacks - Titans - Whoever Plays the Cowboys

DeltaBoy

Many Delta Farmer's Wife's were driving New Caddys that Spring!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: Hogtimes on January 02, 2018, 08:16:02 pm
Couple of years ago I saw an interview with Holtz talking about that game.   He said OU was so good and so confident that they had become predictable and Arkansas game planned for that.  That is probably what Kiffin was referring to in an above post.   The plan gave Arkansas the edge they needed.

He also said something else that will probably get me a bunch of smites....but I am just repeating what Holtz  said.   What he said was.... if they would have had to play OU again, OU would have beaten them badly.

You never know...if they'd hit one early, would it have been a different game? We nailed that triple option of theirs a lot, but they put some drives together too. And a few long runs. But we always had an answer it seemed. Merlin talked about our lack of size on D, but we had smarts and speed.

Our offensive line may not get enough credit. Calcagni had some nice seams to run through, and we all know about Sales. We'd just push them off the ball when we needed too. I'm not quite an hour into the video, end of the first qtr—we're up 14-0.

A couple quotes—Arkansas has allowed, over the year, less than 9 points a game. And...Oklahoma has put more than 50 points average on the board in the last 4 games. So...something had to give.

razorbacker3

I was 23 and spent the 2 days before in Dallas celebrating New Years and going to the NFC championship, Dallas vs, Minnesota. Left Dallas when the Cotton Bowl, Texas vs. Notre Dame started and got back to Pine Bluff just in time to eat dinner and watch the hogs destroy OU. Capped off a fantastic weekend.

PonderinHog

PonderinHog

Grunt

Quote from: tlmack on January 02, 2018, 10:12:09 am

I just watched nearly the whole thing. Remembered every big play and that night sitting in the floor with a bottle of champagne.
The above is likely to be highly biased and may not be defensible.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

I was 7... The Broadmore cinema in Pine Bluff had a cartoon event for kids that I got shuffled off to attend. I guess it was to get the kids out of the house. I remember being so mad at my parents after hearing about that game everyday for nearly a month... Now I finally get to see it in all of it's glory. Thank You OP... +1
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Wild Bill Hog

The Steve Little quick kick is the play that sticks out most in my mind.  When he kneeled down in the backfield (so as not to be in OU's sight I'm guessing) I jumped up and started yelling "Quick Kick".  He stuck out like a sore thumb because we didn't have any white backs except Calcagni.  He got all of his foot into that ball.  A great night indeed.