Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Billion Dollar media rights deals putting the squeeze on G-5 schools

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, April 20, 2016, 07:00:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

This article makes a good point about the difficulty that the big money that P-5 conferences receive creates for their smaller brethren from the G-5 ranks.

''When I did a MAC job, I could go get a coordinator from a Power Five school,'' Parker said. ''If you're doing Georgia State, you could look at coordinators from Georgia or Georgia Tech. Now those guys make a lot of money. People aren't willing to take that kind of pay cut. Now you've got to get creative.''

According to USA Today's salary database - which does not include a few private schools - nine coordinators in the Bowl Subdivision last season made more than $1 million last year. Eighty-one assistants made more than $500,000, including several position coaches.

Meanwhile, 34 head coaches, all in Group of Five conferences, made less than $700,000.

When Enos left Central Michigan he was making $350,000 per year. He made $200,000 more than that last season running Bret Bielema's offense at Arkansas.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/revenue-gap-keeping-top-coaches-away-g5-schools-194249872--ncaaf.html
Go Hogs Go!

Inhogswetrust

And teachers at some schools make more than others...........................all the way from elementary school up to college. No problem. Heck my nephew makes more as an Assistant Band Director at a large high school in arkansas than he did as the band director at two smaller schools as the Band Director. One of those smaller ones was one of the top private schools in the state.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hogsanity

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 20, 2016, 07:08:42 am
And teachers at some schools make more than others...........................all the way from elementary school up to college. No problem. Heck my nephew makes more as an Assistant Band Director at a large high school in arkansas than he did as the band director at two smaller schools as the Band Director. One of those smaller ones was one of the top private schools in the state.

And it is just as hard for smaller schools to go get quality teachers from larger schools because of it. Only in public schools, at least in AR, it is the funding from property taxes is much higher is some areas than others as well as the distribution due to # of students. It is why schools in Eastern Ar have started offering housing allowances, moving expenses and other incentives, because they can't pay what the schools in NWA or the FS area are paying.

Funny you mentioned band directors, here in FS a job for one just came open at South Side and within an hour or so of it being posted, they had received 65 resumes, some from as far away as Washington State.

I am not saying this should or should not exist, but there is no question the influx of TV money changed the way AD's at P% and G5 school approach hiring coaches. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hogsanity on April 20, 2016, 09:02:22 am
I am not saying this should or should not exist, but there is no question the influx of TV money changed the way AD's at P% and G5 school approach hiring coaches. 

As it relates to the article, it seems to make it more difficult for G-5 HC's to hire talented and qualified staff that can help develop talent at that level because they can make far more money at P-5 schools. This will probably create even greater differential from a competitive standpoint between the two sets of schools.

Will this ultimately (with the influence of the Play Off format and having played quality games) help eliminate games scheduled against G-5 schools who may slip to a greater degree in terms of competitiveness due to having to employ up and comers instead of established asst. coaches who have had signficant experience at P-5 schools? Seems like that is what has helped to create at least reasonable competition for a time, when playing the G-5 schools as a warm-up.

I'm not sure that there is any reasonable answer for the G-5 schools given that in the market that is college football, those coaches who produce at a high level are rewarded with higher pay, as it should be. But it nonetheless seems to work to the disadvantage of the G-5 schools and may wind up forcing P-5 schools to schedule more P-5 schools in order to retain a more competitive schedule. Unfortuantely, it is the athletes at the G-5 schools who are the ones who stand to lose the most by not having better coaching.
Go Hogs Go!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 20, 2016, 05:53:50 pm
As it relates to the article, it seems to make it more difficult for G-5 HC's to hire talented and qualified staff that can help develop talent at that level because they can make far more money at P-5 schools. This will probably create even greater differential from a competitive standpoint between the two sets of schools.

Will this ultimately (with the influence of the Play Off format and having played quality games) help eliminate games scheduled against G-5 schools who may slip to a greater degree in terms of competitiveness due to having to employ up and comers instead of established asst. coaches who have had signficant experience at P-5 schools? Seems like that is what has helped to create at least reasonable competition for a time, when playing the G-5 schools as a warm-up.

I'm not sure that there is any reasonable answer for the G-5 schools given that in the market that is college football, those coaches who produce at a high level are rewarded with higher pay, as it should be. But it nonetheless seems to work to the disadvantage of the G-5 schools and may wind up forcing P-5 schools to schedule more P-5 schools in order to retain a more competitive schedule. Unfortuantely, it is the athletes at the G-5 schools who are the ones who stand to lose the most by not having better coaching.

G5 schools can hire quality, talented coaches. They may not be able to keep them as long once they prove themselves but that is true in any business.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hogsanity

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 21, 2016, 06:37:36 am
G5 schools can hire quality, talented coaches. They may not be able to keep them as long once they prove themselves but that is true in any business.

The problem is not losing their HC's to better hc jobs, that has always happened. But now we see a guy like Enos, a g-5 HC, willing to take a step "down" to become a p5 coordinator at a salary most g5 hc's do not earn.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hogsanity on April 21, 2016, 08:38:40 am
The problem is not losing their HC's to better hc jobs, that has always happened. But now we see a guy like Enos, a g-5 HC, willing to take a step "down" to become a p5 coordinator at a salary most g5 hc's do not earn.

But in reality it is not a step down.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 21, 2016, 06:49:52 pm
But in reality it is not a step down.

Point is, these are the things that are hurting the G-5 schools ability to hire and retain quality HC's and Assistant's. You can't blame the coaches, most have families and are trying to climb the ladder. But the "arms race" in terms of compensation packages for P-5 schools are hurting the G-5 schools. If this continues I would think that aside from those who are comfortable making what they make and the trade off being that they are very happy where they are, most G-5 schools are going to experience less quality coaching as most coaches jump at the first chance that they have to make more money at the next level.
Go Hogs Go!

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 21, 2016, 07:48:13 pm
Point is, these are the things that are hurting the G-5 schools ability to hire and retain quality HC's and Assistant's. You can't blame the coaches, most have families and are trying to climb the ladder. But the "arms race" in terms of compensation packages for P-5 schools are hurting the G-5 schools. If this continues I would think that aside from those who are comfortable making what they make and the trade off being that they are very happy where they are, most G-5 schools are going to experience less quality coaching as most coaches jump at the first chance that they have to make more money at the next level.

Agreed.
In some ways, this could hurt head coaching as well.

Experience as a head coach would be hard to replicate outside of being an actual head coach.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 21, 2016, 07:48:13 pm

Sort of always been true. The top coaches have always climbed the ladder. There is no industry out there where any company that pays better, has better facilities, better employees to manage (in the case of athletics I mean the players) etc. does't hire what they perceive as the best from their lower level or smaller competition.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on April 21, 2016, 08:08:02 pm

Agreed.
In some ways, this could hurt head coaching as well.

Experience as a head coach would be hard to replicate outside of being an actual head coach.

Lot's of coaches have been promoted from within the ranks of the coordinators positions.

Inhogswetrust

G5 schools have ALWAYS been squeezed by the bigger, stronger, more affluent. They have always struggled to keep coaches, get good players, update facilities and get revenue. My point is these new money deals for the P5 has helped the P5 but not necessarily at the expense of the G5 and others. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 22, 2016, 06:38:21 am
G5 schools have ALWAYS been squeezed by the bigger, stronger, more affluent. They have always struggled to keep coaches, get good players, update facilities and get revenue. My point is these new money deals for the P5 has helped the P5 but not necessarily at the expense of the G5 and others. 

According to those quoted in the article, it is getting worse and they would disagree with you.
Go Hogs Go!

hogsanity

What is also hurting the g5 schools is their insistence to try to keep up with the p5 schools. I have long been a proponent of having a 64-80 team group of 4 or 5 super conferences, then the rest of fbs could have their own division. It is pointless for A-state or San Jose St, for examples, to try to be in the same division as Ohio St or Arkansas or Usc. The amount of money it takes to compete at that level is just too much for schools like A-state to bear. And it goes way beyond football, although that is a big part, but really in all things academic and athletic.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 22, 2016, 07:33:14 am
According to those quoted in the article, it is getting worse and they would disagree with you.

I read it. It isn't so clear cut.

PorkSoda

Its survival of the fittest.  eventually the upper G-5 schools will make a push to join P5 conferences while the lower will drop to FCS.

Its probably better that way.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 22, 2016, 06:34:27 am
Lot's of coaches have been promoted from within the ranks of the coordinators positions.

I'm talking about coaches like Enos.
Instead of moving up from OC/DC, just keep on, keeping on.
Or........Take the mid-major for two-three years then jump back to position/coordinator job.

Some coaches I'm sure learn a lot while slugging it out at the mid-major level.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hogsanity on April 22, 2016, 08:17:30 am
What is also hurting the g5 schools is their insistence to try to keep up with the p5 schools. I have long been a proponent of having a 64-80 team group of 4 or 5 super conferences, then the rest of fbs could have their own division. It is pointless for A-state or San Jose St, for examples, to try to be in the same division as Ohio St or Arkansas or Usc. The amount of money it takes to compete at that level is just too much for schools like A-state to bear. And it goes way beyond football, although that is a big part, but really in all things academic and athletic.

Exactly. Most of the most prestigious academic schools don't even have scholarship type athletics. For example the IVY league.