Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

From the Bench - So Long for Now

Started by Robert Shields, April 18, 2016, 11:49:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: LSUFan on April 18, 2016, 03:46:31 pm
Next week, boys and girls, the cure for mouth herpes will be announced, also.

That's for any fan base but LSU fans. They have to worry about the type below the waist.................................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

NaturalStateReb

The first place I ever remember reading this column was in the now-departed Little Rock Free Press.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Seebs

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on April 18, 2016, 04:23:22 pm
The first place I ever remember reading this column was in the now-departed Little Rock Free Press.

Not coincidentally, it was also the first place where I did NOT read it. 
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

WilsonHog

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on April 18, 2016, 04:23:22 pm

Dude killed a free newspaper?

Hawgar The Horrible

There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

clew

It's the end of the world as we know it.

And I feel fine.
Pure as the dawn

hawg IQ

Listen I think this guy is a pretty decent at posting his thoughts about Hogs in general.. well pretty good at writing any way .
My thoughts were his opinion was a little left or right, but they were his opinions however. The other thing is, he posted like he thought folks might enjoy reading them. There in lies a problem. Most people on here know the rules, the coaches, the talk show host, journalist, players, other teams, recruits more or less already, what can this guy add ?? most people on here don't want anybody's opinion unless it concurs with their own.
  Besides being an object of frustrations or maybe someone to cuss or discuss or to poke fun at, other than that he served no real purpose to most.

He wasn't near smart a$$ed enough to suit the masses  on here, that like mafia leaders either own opinion or have something like a 40% cut to any and all opinions.
He was probably way to thick skinned in general or would have made this post about 16 years ago.

Maybe he's also just another moniker that has anywhere between 5 to 15 different posting names on here to try and fool the rest of us into believing someone else think "just like them".

Or maybe he's for real and if so has his own right to just be another poster thinking somebody else thinks or cares or wants to hear what he really has to say . But nobody really does. There are only two branches of posters on here  and that is BP people and anti BP people. nothing else really matters.

So before someone gets all offended, I don't care and along with that try and figure out how serious I am about all the good will that we all try and promote on here.

Beside we should let the guy do whatever suits his fancy.  Oh one other thing, what threw me was what does 
" from the bench" mean ?? Maybe a better heading might have been "if you really give a $hit,  here are my thoughts" ?
go hogs go !

TDHawgs

Dang it!!  I'm gonna miss posting epic fail gifs every Monday..  :'( :'( :'(
Now all I need is for Sterling and Gentle Ben to make a stand and say they won't call Drive Time Sports anymore!  All would be right with the world then!!

Bye until August!

TDHawgs

For some reason I have a feeling this is how it all went down.. lol

Mr. Porkleone

This thread started my gif collection. I will miss the gifs.

Look forward to funny gif thread.

IronMountainHog

Hit the road Shields,
And don't ya come back,
No more, no more, no more...

westside_player

I think and hope and pray he will be back by football season.  This is by far the most talented journalist we have in Arkansas. Maybe he's found a higher paying gig, maybe not. One of the few guys that some times hes 1000% spot on, sometimes I don't agree with him but I always read him. This man could go anywhere and do anything and be successful.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: westside_player on April 18, 2016, 07:17:09 pm
I think and hope and pray he will be back by football season.  This is by far the most talented journalist we have in Arkansas. Maybe he's found a higher paying gig, maybe not. One of the few guys that some times hes 1000% spot on, sometimes I don't agree with him but I always read him. This man could go anywhere and do anything and be successful.

Wow, sig-worthy quote.
[CENSORED]!

Porked Tongue

Sources confirm that RS will return with his own radio show and phone ap.

TDHawgs

Quote from: Porked Tongue on April 18, 2016, 08:01:27 pm
lol.. Oh goodness.. the world will explode if this happens.. haha

Hawgar The Horrible

Whoa. You do realize this internet/message board thingy you participate in extends beyond State lines...don't you?

TomasPistola

Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

Hawgar The Horrible

First time I've ever heard of someone promising to quit writing to gain syndication. But it might just work.

BPsTheMan

Quote from: Robert Shields on April 18, 2016, 01:37:28 pm
I know that you are experiencing a sense of loss, but in time you will reach acceptance.

Porked Tongue

Quote from: Robert Shields on April 18, 2016, 11:49:01 am

But what I am best known for is writing about the Great Stadium Debate. I was the spokesman for the issue when no one else cared (enough) and Frank Broyles had shut everyone up from dissent.

Boardon Hamsay

ricepig

I love the sarcasm angle from this post, well done.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Porked Tongue on April 18, 2016, 08:01:27 pm

I'd throw away my smartphone and go back to nothing but a landline phone................................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Seebs

To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

goodguytex

Quote from: WilsonHog on April 18, 2016, 02:09:23 pm
Pity.

I'm going to miss sending your columns to V&R.
Awesome! I won't have to stumble across Shields columns in V&R or MMQB for awhile.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Robert Shields on April 18, 2016, 01:09:55 pm
The chance of me being back before August is none unless Jeff Long or Bret Bielema have a motorcycle accident.  As for after that date, you can set the odds.

Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

PonderinHog

hawg IQ

Quote from: DOGALUM on April 18, 2016, 12:33:36 pm
Who the hell is Robert Shields?

I think he is really Wally Hall or Chuck Barratt... then on the other hand he could have been any one of a couple dozen other folks, who post under various post names already.
no matter, for now there's the summer crickets and cicadas .
go hogs go !

ImHogginIt

Robert Shields

Quote from: hawg IQ on April 18, 2016, 05:38:01 pm
Listen I think this guy is a pretty decent at posting his thoughts about Hogs in general.. well pretty good at writing any way .
My thoughts were his opinion was a little left or right, but they were his opinions however. The other thing is, he posted like he thought folks might enjoy reading them. There in lies a problem. Most people on here know the rules, the coaches, the talk show host, journalist, players, other teams, recruits more or less already, what can this guy add ?? most people on here don't want anybody's opinion unless it concurs with their own.
  Besides being an object of frustrations or maybe someone to cuss or discuss or to poke fun at, other than that he served no real purpose to most.

He wasn't near smart a$$ed enough to suit the masses  on here, that like mafia leaders either own opinion or have something like a 40% cut to any and all opinions.
He was probably way to thick skinned in general or would have made this post about 16 years ago.

Maybe he's also just another moniker that has anywhere between 5 to 15 different posting names on here to try and fool the rest of us into believing someone else think "just like them".

Or maybe he's for real and if so has his own right to just be another poster thinking somebody else thinks or cares or wants to hear what he really has to say . But nobody really does. There are only two branches of posters on here  and that is BP people and anti BP people. nothing else really matters.

So before someone gets all offended, I don't care and along with that try and figure out how serious I am about all the good will that we all try and promote on here.

Beside we should let the guy do whatever suits his fancy.  Oh one other thing, what threw me was what does 
" from the bench" mean ?? Maybe a better heading might have been "if you really give a $hit,  here are my thoughts" ?

For better or for worse, I do have thick skin.  I do not get offended very easy.  I was just not raised that way. To be sure, there is a world filled with people looking for the opportunity to be offended. I'm just not one of them.

The world may be crumbling around you, but that does not mean that you have to be part of it. You can stand against the rising tide, but that is no small thing.

I believe in the Spiral of Silence Theory. This column railed against it.

Hogwild

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on April 18, 2016, 12:30:48 pm
I hope to see your columns again.

Some I liked.
Some not so much.

Regardless, it's nice to have alternative points of view to read.

this

Biggus Piggus

Robert, the overwhelming reason why your posts usually drew derision was because you wrote from the point of view of a knowledgeable observer but were obviously not. Present your views as those of an emotional fan (more accurate), and you'd be right down Hogville central. You can still question everything that way.

As for the Little Rock stadium stuff, honestly I'd forgotten all about anything you said about it. Been a long time. I suppose you might have been more credible writing about that subject.

[CENSORED]!

GolfnHog

You've never ever picked anything but low hanging fruit, have you?
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

TrueBlue

Seebs

Quote from: Robert Shields on April 19, 2016, 10:16:40 am
For better or for worse, I do have thick skin.  I do not get offended very easy.  I was just not raised that way. To be sure, there is a world filled with people looking for the opportunity to be offended. I'm just not one of them.

The world may be crumbling around you, but that does not mean that you have to be part of it. You can stand against the rising tide, but that is no small thing.

... as he picked up his jacks and quit.

JIMMY BOARFFETT

Great, now I have to dread the next installment all summer.  Thanks pal...

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

BadHog

Maybe you have thick skin because you knew what you wrote was worthless anyway. Do you honestly believe that a post in a message board comes close to being a "column"? Do you think you are the next Arthur Daley or something??? Whatever...I cannot remember a single solitary article/sentence/word that you wrote that enlightened anything related to the WMS debate. I doubt anyone remembers your stance except that your post above indicates that you were in favor of playing games in LR. Still not clear as clarity was never your strong suit. I will always believe you wrote that weekly rant because you also enjoyed the gifs. Farewell and don't forget....

"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

Torqued pork

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 19, 2016, 12:31:51 pm
Robert, the overwhelming reason why your posts usually drew derision was because you wrote from the point of view of a knowledgeable observer but were obviously not. Present your views as those of an emotional fan (more accurate), and you'd be right down Hogville central. You can still question everything that way.

As for the Little Rock stadium stuff, honestly I'd forgotten all about anything you said about it. Been a long time. I suppose you might have been more credible writing about that subject.

Wally Hall could fill the void until Shields comes back.

Johnny Razorback

Gonna miss these weekly posts.  The gifs were always my favorites.
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."

ricepig

Quote from: Johnny Razorback on April 19, 2016, 03:01:19 pm
Gonna miss these weekly posts.  The gifs were always my favorites.

Yes, many posters put forth much effort, much more than the actual columns.

TDHawgs

MJ2

Hate to see you go.   Sometimes I think I'm nothing more than a combination of Robert Shields and Forrest City Joe.   All 3 of us are viewed as "haters" but the reality is we just want to win.

BPsTheMan

I'll miss entertaining myself with these

Seebs

Quote from: MJ2 on April 19, 2016, 03:58:51 pm
Hate to see you go.   Sometimes I think I'm nothing more than a combination of Robert Shields and Forrest City Joe.   All 3 of us are viewed as "haters" but the reality is we just want to win.

Sweet Fancy Moses.  A poster lobbying to be lumped in with RS and FCJ.  This is like jaywalking for street cred.

hawg IQ

For better or for worse, I do have thick skin.  I do not get offended very easy.  I was just not raised that way. To be sure, there is a world filled with people looking for the opportunity to be offended. I’m just not one of them.

Hey man in all seriousness, come and post any time you feel the need. listen most of us on here are wise @sses anyway. How could anything you would have to say be any different than many others whom post here often. Like others are really journalist that just need to be discovered ??
  I'm glad you had thick skin Robert Shields, that is something I could use a little more of. Hey have a good break, post again when you wish.
go hogs go !