From the Bench - So Long for Now

Started by Robert Shields, April 18, 2016, 11:49:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Shields

So Long for Now

Robert Shields

This will be my last column.

Until August. Or maybe longer.

I know many of you who do not like when I am critical of the Razorbacks wish I would have ended it with the first sentence.

Just like a large portion of fans who have taken a break from going to Razorback basketball games for the last 10 years, I am taking a sabbatical from this column and all the wonderful responses it generates each week.

After 18 straight years of writing From the Bench every week, it is time for a break, and so I will hang a "Wally Hall is on vacation" poster in its place until Razorback football resumes and I can again remind everyone that I called Austin Allen being named the starter by Bret Bielema without any question of there being competition for the job over the summer.

During the last 18 years, I got to cover some amazing events that will reverberate through Razorback history including the hiring of Houston Nutt, the firing of Nolan Richardson and the lawsuit that followed, the NCAA investigation into the Razorback program and subsequent probation, the arrival of Gus Malzahn and his Springdale players, Nutt leaving with golden handcuffs, the hiring of Bobby Petrino and his motorcycle incident, John L. Smith telling everyone to smile, and then Bret Bielema setting an historic losing streak that will probably never be broken.

But what I am best known for is writing about the Great Stadium Debate. I was the spokesman for the issue when no one else cared (enough) and Frank Broyles had shut everyone up from dissent.

But the Great Stadium Debate is over. And we lost. We meaning everyone.

GSD columns are always fun to write because it is something I am passionate about, but some columns are tougher to write than others.  You would think a person could breeze through hammering them out, but it is difficult to strike the right balance in being critical while not being too critical.

The column has been a labor of love and when I started it I never appreciated how involved producing just one column a week could be.

I am also deeply appreciative of the many readers from across the state who took time to write me, and without readers a column does not exist.

From the Bench started back in 1998 – before the Internet message board era – as a way to provide a surly fan's perspective that really wasn't available anywhere else. Many identified with that tact and maybe for a time I lended them a voice as my Razorback experience was shared with them in parallel.

Some challenged me to be more controversial and to cover unpopular topics with the general fan base.
A wise writer once said, "If what you are writing isn't likely to offend or annoy anyone, go back and try again."

It is in that spirit that many From the Bench columns began, and if it ever made you laugh, that was always one of my goals. Sometimes the readers were in on the joke, sometimes they weren't, and many other times they liked to tell me that I was the joke.

Some of the things that people wrote me are things I will never forget. I have always finished my column with a line to send me your comments to me by email.

One time I finished with "send me your Dogpatch experience," and a person named Buddy wrote saying he was a Vietnamese refugee and his foster family took him and his siblings to the iconic park. On the way, Buddy, like most small children, acted up and as punishment they left him in the van on purpose on a hot afternoon. Luckily for him, a sheriff noticed him scrambling around inside the van panting and rescued him. Needless to say, his sister was glad to see him still alive.

Over the years, I have also received a few messages from parents of more than one Razorback quarterback chastising me for what I had written about their sons. As I have always done no matter who wrote me, I responded with, "I appreciate you reading my column."

I look back with gratitude as so many weekly papers supported my endeavor. I am glad that I got to help some of them win Arkansas Press Association awards.

I have only had one unexcused absence when writing my column and that was when I broke my hand. For the next six weeks, I wrote my column pecking on my keyboard with my index fingers. I enjoyed writing the column and I appreciated those who supported me and sent me kind notes. It's the reason that I seldom took a week off even when I had surgery.

I love writing and have written a few books also, many with titles that the Internet bullies love to give me grief over. But those comments are negated when I get a good review on Goodreads from someone who read the stories after friends' recommendations. I have three more books that I have started, and who knows with this time off I may just finish them.

To all that have read my columns and written me over the years, I appreciate you very much as you challenged me to be a better writer.

Is this the end of From the Bench? I would probably say no, but I didn't think it was the end after "Flash Gordon" either.

See you in the funny papers.

Send your Springer's Final Thoughts on From the Bench to fromthebench@yahoo.com.

Großer Kriegschwein

What's the over/under on "maybe longer"?
This is my non-signature signature.

Pig in the Pokey

I guess it's my turn; never done it before, but, who dafugg is Bob Shields?
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Inhogswetrust

Without trying to emulate Delta................Your best ever post! Excpet that part about ALL losing in the GSD. When a debate ends only one side losses. I will miss the reply GIF's though.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on April 18, 2016, 11:54:43 am
I guess it's my turn; never done it before, but, who dafugg is Bob Shields?

Robs evil twin maybe....................?
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ricepig

I love one sentence paragraphs, what will I do now??

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on April 18, 2016, 11:58:06 am
I love one sentence paragraphs, what will I do now??

There's always Gov.........................

ricepig

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on April 18, 2016, 11:52:11 am

Unfortunately, it will be the under, we'll be subjugated to this drivel come fall practice.

ricepig

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on April 18, 2016, 11:59:54 am
Guv, get it right!

See no matter how you spell it it brings out the best!

nwahogfan1

Thanks Robert.  I like your perspective.   Please keep your articles coming.

younghog

I got $2 bills to the 20 people that keep this thread count under 25..

~go figure..

I mean GO HOGS
GO HOGS

MrKnowItAll

longpig

fair well simpleton sports analyst guy and good day to you, sir.

Don't be scared, be smart.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Robert Shields on April 18, 2016, 11:49:01 am
Is this the end of From the Bench? I would probably say no, but I didn't think it was the end after "Flash Gordon" either.

W T F ?
[CENSORED]!

Pork Twain

Quote from: Robert Shields on April 18, 2016, 11:49:01 am
This will be my last column.
Thank you, sweet baby Jesus, with your lawn mowing business.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

BPsTheMan

I believe this is the first ever Talk To The Hand in history

anyway Robert, talk to the hand

SooiecidetillNuttgone

I hope to see your columns again.

Some I liked.
Some not so much.

Regardless, it's nice to have alternative points of view to read.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

DOGALUM

Who the hell is Robert Shields?

As happy as I would like to be about this......I am inclined to agree with ricepig.   This crap will be back before we know it. 

Shields, hopefully "retirement" agrees with you as much as Delta does and you decide to make it permanent. 

Eat darn...... you worthless excuse for a ___________.  (fill in the blank)
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

The_Iceman

The_Iceman

yraciv

This has to be too good to be true.  I'd be very curious to see some of those early articles that were probably on hand notes and distributed by Bob himself to his family and neighbors.  Does this mean he will start posting traditional stuff on the message board or he is gone from Hogville lure forever. One can only wait to findout.

go hogues

Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

The NewEra

Robert, the third line in this post was your best ever. Cya!

DeltaBoy

Have a great time off Robert !!! Hope to see you back in Aug!!!!!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: DeltaBoy on April 18, 2016, 12:54:52 pm
Have a great time off Robert !!! Hope to see you back in Aug!!!!!

Robert is always "off".............................

Robert Shields

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on April 18, 2016, 11:52:11 am

The chance of me being back before August is none unless Jeff Long or Bret Bielema have a motorcycle accident.  As for after that date, you can set the odds.

ricepig

Quote from: Robert Shields on April 18, 2016, 01:09:55 pm
The chance of me being back before August is none unless Jeff Long or Bret Bielema have a motorcycle accident.  As for after that date, you can set the odds.

What's the over/under on one sentence paragraphs?

hogfan58

I'm asking you as fans, don't give up on those players, don't give up on us, it's our program, it's the state of Alabama program...it's not one individuals program, so hang in there...

Hawgar The Horrible

There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

Doug

--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

Hogzilla Killa

I've only been reading his stuff since 2014 when I noticed all the hate for the guy but I never understood why so many people disliked him that much? He had some opposing views at times like most of us do but I guess most of us don't write a weekly column about them. All in all, he generated a lot of content about the Razorbacks over the years and people still read his articles and get annoyed enough to comment on them so he is doing something right. Wally Hall of the internet but much easier for us to hate on. Our fan base is a tough crowd.

Robert Shields

Quote from: Harry Rex Vonner on April 18, 2016, 12:22:14 pm
I believe this is the first ever Talk To The Hand in history

anyway Robert, talk to the hand

I know that you are experiencing a sense of loss, but in time you will reach acceptance.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Robert Shields on April 18, 2016, 01:37:28 pm
I know that you are experiencing a sense of loss, but in time you will reach acceptance.
Well don't let the door hit you in your "brain" as you exit stage left.

IronMountainHog

Kind of like herpes, we will never totally rid ourselves of you.

longpig

Quote from: Hogzilla Killa on April 18, 2016, 01:32:37 pm
I've only been reading his stuff since 2014 when I noticed all the hate for the guy but I never understood why so many people disliked him that much? He had some opposing views at times like most of us do but I guess most of us don't write a weekly column about them. All in all, he generated a lot of content about the Razorbacks over the years and people still read his articles and get annoyed enough to comment on them so he is doing something right. Wally Hall of the internet but much easier for us to hate on. Our fan base is a tough crowd.

Alls he ever did was compile the mostly worthless opinions and observations of Hogvillians.
Don't be scared, be smart.

WilsonHog

Pity.

I'm going to miss sending your columns to V&R.

Pigsknuckles

"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Hogzilla Killa on April 18, 2016, 01:32:37 pm

Yep and I refuse to pay and read Wally Hall.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

CareBear

Hey partner thanks for writing the things that needed to be written. I really appreciate the honest takes! I am one of a handful of guys & girls on here that don't care if my opinion is unpopular with the sheep thinkers who yearn for approval from certain media guys. A real gang of tough guys, experts, & insiders who can be identified by a distinct brown tinted nose  :P
Good luck & continued success  :razorback:

DOGALUM

A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

ricepig

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on April 18, 2016, 01:26:26 pm
Depressing. I will miss the gifs.

I promise to start an honorary, weekly GIF thread, if Rob's absence extends into football season.
[CENSORED]!

Seebs

I will now go to the guy at work that talks too loud and ask him about politics to get my Robert Shields fix.

I will then ask him to lower himself to the Vents and Rumors folder.

Now - here is the Hulk throwing a bear, A Cat hiding in the sofa in your mother's basement and the only thing I could find that reminds me of you - Humpty Dumpty - but a creepy one.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

Dr. Starcs

Can we get a countdown clock going till August?

I need to know how much longer I can enjoy mmqb.

Oklahawg

I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

LSUFan

Next week, boys and girls, the cure for mouth herpes will be announced, also.
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.