Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Will we have a 1,000 yard rusher in 2016?

Started by nwahogfan1, April 07, 2016, 08:26:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

How many 1,000 yard rushers will we have this year?

0.  No one back shines so we have RB by committee.
41 (18.3%)
1.  Any guess who it might be?
67 (29.9%)
2.  We are deeper than most think.
116 (51.8%)

Total Members Voted: 224

Voting closed: May 07, 2016, 08:26:44 am

ChitownHawg

Quote from: trphog on April 07, 2016, 06:07:22 pm
Yes- highly recruited 4*. I slap happy to have him. There is absolutely no way he can be considered a star in college though. For every AC ( highly recruited kid who succeeds as a freshman) there are a bunch of Darius Winston's (5* who never live up to their rankings). Go look up how many 4* running backs came out of high school last year. How many of those do you think will be 1,000 yard rushers in college next year? There were only 3 freshmen in the top 50 rushers in college last year. Only one of those was in the top 25: http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/individual/469

With that said- I hope I'm wrong and the kid truly is a superstar if it translates to wins.

You cannot look at general stat likes that as it doesn't reflect the type of scheme or program they are in.

A RB coming into our scheme and program has a solid commitment to field a punishing oline and a run first attitude. Couple that with a solid passing game and you have a program suited to help a top RB freshman flourish.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

reddogjcss

trphog

Quote from: ChitownHawg on April 07, 2016, 06:32:25 pm
You cannot look at general stat likes that as it doesn't reflect the type of scheme or program they are in.

A RB coming into our scheme and program has a solid commitment to field a punishing oline and a run first attitude. Couple that with a solid passing game and you have a program suited to help a top RB freshman flourish.

I disagree. There were 66 1,000 yard rushers in the NCAA last year. 5 of those were freshmen. Being highly recruited or being in a great system guarantees nothing.

PorkSoda

Quote from: bphi11ips on April 07, 2016, 06:01:21 pm
Bret Bielema has had at least one 1000 yard rusher in every year he has served as head coach.  So the odds are pretty good he'll have one this year. 
so the short answer is yes

the real question is how many.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

bennyl08

Quote from: trphog on April 07, 2016, 08:00:12 pm
I disagree. There were 66 1,000 yard rushers in the NCAA last year. 5 of those were freshmen. Being highly recruited or being in a great system guarantees nothing.

Just looking through the SEC, there are loads of examples of true freshmen coming in and having 1000 yard seasons. Change the question to having true freshmen making a significant impact as defined by just being 500 yards, and it becomes much higher. The odds of being a successful true freshmen player are much higher at rb than any other position.

Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

The_Hog_Father

Quote from: Seebs on April 07, 2016, 04:52:05 pm
Wait wait wait. Trey Biddy proclaims that RWIII is a three star running back and in the history of all of college football no three star Running Back is capable of being an elite back since recruiting gurus rank running backs much better than other positions.

So I'm sorry, but if Trey Biddy says RWIII will just be a role back, then that must be true.   It's 4:51 - almost time fro Trey! Need to log off and go learn some Razorback and crootin stuff from TB.

Outstanding post. +1  :razorback:

Quote from: reddogjcss on April 07, 2016, 07:07:02 pm
We will have two 1,000 yard rushers.

I think you may correct Sir.

And I am feeling really good about 4 of Our 'Backs if everyone stays healthy.  :razorback:

PorkSoda

you have to qualify those stats with how many freshmen were given starting roles in a run first offense.

If DW is talented enough to earn the starting role early in the season then there is a good chance he will get the touches he needs to break 1000 yards.  also keep in mind this is Arkansas.  churning out 1000 yard rushers is what we do, and we have a coach that is also known for having 1000 yard rushers.

we will have a 1000 yard rusher this season.  the only question is if we will have two.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

trphog

Quote from: PorkSoda on April 07, 2016, 08:42:17 pm
you have to qualify those stats with how many freshmen were given starting roles in a run first offense.

If DW is talented enough to earn the starting role early in the season then there is a good chance he will get the touches he needs to break 1000 yards.  also keep in mind this is Arkansas.  churning out 1000 yard rushers is what we do, and we have a coach that is also known for having 1000 yard rushers.

we will have a 1000 yard rusher this season.  the only question is if we will have two.

I hope your right honestly! The reason I say that we won't is partly because we are so stacked at WR. It's also partly because I see RW3, DW, KW, and Duwop all playing a significant role. With all of those shares it will be hard for anyone to break 1,000 yards. I don't see any of those guys separating themselves from the others enough to rack up that many yards. Especially with how potentially potent we will could in the passing game.

ChitownHawg

Who said it was guaranteed? Geez.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

ChitownHawg

Quote from: trphog on April 07, 2016, 09:11:03 pm
I hope your right honestly! The reason I say that we won't is partly because we are so stacked at WR. It's also partly because I see RW3, DW, KW, and Duwop all playing a significant role. With all of those shares it will be hard for anyone to break 1,000 yards. I don't see any of those guys separating themselves from the others enough to rack up that many yards. Especially with how potentially potent we will could in the passing game.

Two years ago JWill and AC were the top backs. Who was the third and how many carries did they get?

Last year it was AC and RWIII until he went down. Then KW took the 2 spot. CBB historically doesn't give a lot of carries beyond the top 2. Which I believe will be RWIII and DW. So we will not be seeing four backs as you suggest. Just no history of CBB doing this.

PorkSoda

Quote from: ChitownHawg on April 07, 2016, 09:17:47 pm
Two years ago JWill and AC were the top backs. Who was the third and how many carries did they get?

Last year it was AC and RWIII until he went down. Then KW took the 2 spot. CBB historically doesn't give a lot of carries beyond the top 2. Which I believe will be RWIII and DW. So we will not be seeing four backs as you suggest. Just no history of CBB doing this.
I agree. BB's system relies on a 1a / 1b setup.  KW will be there if either RWIII or DW aren't up to par, otherwise he will be a situational back.  I see Duwop in a similar but different role as well.

but nothing is set in stone.  both KW and DM are upper classmen and have the benefit of spring practice, while RWIII and DW will be starting out in the fall. 

I will be curious who will win out in this scenario.  things like pass blocking and ball security will play as big a part as natural talent.

moses_007

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer, but I don't see a 1,000 yard rusher on this team next season.  Maybe three or four with 600 or so yards.

trphog

Quote from: ChitownHawg on April 07, 2016, 09:17:47 pm

We'll see. Also, I said a "guarantee" because you called DW a "superstar" and also said this in association with that sentiment: "A RB coming into our scheme and program has a solid commitment to field a punishing oline and a run first attitude. Couple that with a solid passing game and you have a program suited to help a top RB freshman flourish." We agree to disagree. It's not life or death and neither one of us knows so there.... Go Hogs! I could care less as long as the Hogs win.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: PorkSoda on April 07, 2016, 09:26:05 pm
I agree. BB's system relies on a 1a / 1b setup.  KW will be there if either RWIII or DW aren't up to par, otherwise he will be a situational back.  I see Duwop in a similar but different role as well.

but nothing is set in stone.  both KW and DM are upper classmen and have the benefit of spring practice, while RWIII and DW will be starting out in the fall. 

I will be curious who will win out in this scenario.  things like pass blocking and ball security will play as big a part as natural talent.

What is cool are the discussions we are having this Spring. We are loaded at QB and people are talking about their favorite. And the same with our RBs. Then we have the WRs. As far as offense goes - it is good to be a Hog!  :razorback:

trphog

Quote from: moses_007 on April 07, 2016, 09:36:23 pm
Sorry to be a Debbie Downer, but I don't see a 1,000 yard rusher on this team next season.  Maybe three or four with 600 or so yards.

I agree. Coach B has always had a clear-cut no. 1 guy. I don't see that with our guys. I see a lot of really good RB's who are similar in talent level.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: trphog on April 07, 2016, 09:43:07 pm
We'll see. Also, I said a "guarantee" because you called DW a "superstar" and also said this in association with that sentiment: "A RB coming into our scheme and program has a solid commitment to field a punishing oline and a run first attitude. Couple that with a solid passing game and you have a program suited to help a top RB freshman flourish." We agree to disagree. It's not life or death and neither one of us knows so there.... Go Hogs! I could care less as long as the Hogs win.

But I do know.  ;)

It is all good and fun to agree and disagree.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: moses_007 on April 07, 2016, 09:36:23 pm

CBB has had one year where he used three backs extensively. He came within a few yards of having three 1000 yard backs that year. So throw that year out and you can say CBB lives with two backs extensively.

trphog

Quote from: ChitownHawg on April 07, 2016, 09:45:02 pm
But I do know.  ;)

It is all good and fun to agree and disagree.
:) Agreed bro! Go Hogs! I appreciate having a grown up conversation where we can disagree! BTW what part of Chi-town do you live in? I am currently in NWI actually. Merrillville area.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on April 07, 2016, 08:30:25 am
If he remains healthy I think Williams will run for 1300+ yards this year but Walker and one more maybe Duwop or Whaley will have 600+.

I am not sure about Duwop.    I think he will peel off some nice runs but is he a 15+ carry a game guy?  I just don't know.
Duwop was recruited by GaTech to run their triple option. The QB in the Ga Tech offense must be able to run as well as the tailbacks. And it hurt GaTech when Duwop came to Arkansas. Duwop will surprise the hell out of everyone. I hear he's turned his body into a beast and is ready to roll. I hope so because we need some speed back there to go along with Cody's power. Devwah needs to redshirt although I doubt he will want to do that. If CBB can convince Whaley to redshirt, it will be help us tremendously in the future.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

bennyl08

Quote from: trphog on April 07, 2016, 09:11:03 pm

To counter the being stacked at WR, we are basically replacing our entire OL and starting a new qb. Coaches might not want a brand new qb airing it out 40 times a game or a brand new OL trying to pass block all the time. The running game is founded by that same green OL and also pretty green rb's, but mistakes are a lot less likely in the run game than the passing game. I think there will certainly be a healthy amount of passing because you don't let that talented of a position group go to waste.

Further, with RB's, from what I've seen in football, if you are rotating in 3-4 guys with consistency, it means you don't have anybody worth carrying the ball alone. What happens we you have a stud? You feed the stud. Heck, even Georgia who simply seems to have all-sec rb's each and every season let their top guys carry the load. Similarly with Bama. OTOH, look at LSU. When they have a Ridley, a Hill, or a Fournette, they feed the stud. When they don't, they have 3-5 guys carrying the ball with consistency. Same with Arkansas. When we have a stud or two, they carry the ball, see Felix/Dmac, Collins/Williams, Knile. Otherwise, we have some hodgepodge of Dennis, Green, and Wingo Jr. Same thing in the NFL. The teams with good run games have a feature back, not a committee. Even the teams that end up with several backs collecting lots of yards, in any given game, you only see one back as the feature player.

You need the players to get a feel for the game and get a hot hand. Constantly rotating in 3-4 backs on the off chance they are all good, none of them have many opportunities to get in the zone.

All of this is to say, I think we have and will have some stud backs to feed as beasts.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

HamSammich

We will have a 1000 yard back. Bet your pennies.

Who ever is tearing off a 5 ypc average after 4 games will be out foot guy. Bet on it.

bennyl08

Quote from: HamSammich on April 08, 2016, 12:17:10 am
We will have a 1000 yard back. Bet your pennies.

Who ever is tearing off a 5 ypc average after 4 games will be out foot guy. Bet on it.

It's a bird, it's a plane, it's Out Foot Guy! Always on the lookout for his arch nemesis, In Hand Man.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: trphog on April 07, 2016, 09:48:51 pm
:) Agreed bro! Go Hogs! I appreciate having a grown up conversation where we can disagree! BTW what part of Chi-town do you live in? I am currently in NWI actually. Merrillville area.

Lincoln Square

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: trphog on April 07, 2016, 06:07:22 pm
Yes- highly recruited 4*. I slap happy to have him. There is absolutely no way he can be considered a star in college though. For every AC ( highly recruited kid who succeeds as a freshman) there are a bunch of Darius Winston's (5* who never live up to their rankings). Go look up how many 4* running backs came out of high school last year. How many of those do you think will be 1,000 yard rushers in college next year? There were only 3 freshmen in the top 50 rushers in college last year. Only one of those was in the top 25: http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/individual/469

With that said- I hope I'm wrong and the kid truly is a superstar if it translates to wins.

The last 3 seasons there have been something like 15 freshmen from P-5 schools that rushed for more than 1,000 yards in a season. One of those in 2013, was Alex Collins. It isn't at all impossible for a true freshman to rush for more than 1,000 yards in a season and aside from needing a good O-Line to make that happen, the type of offensive scheme that your school embraces can either make this more likely or less so. Our type of offensive scheme provides those opportunities to good RB's.

Now the question was, "will we have a 1,000 yard rusher?" I think we will but the opportunity to be on the field will be earned not just by any particular RB's ability to run the ball, but by their ability to grasp the offense, adjust correctly to audibles at the line, run block to some extent and importantly, learn to pass block and protect their QB. The last of these is often overlooked but remains a very important part of the job and the transition is sometimes more difficult for highly rated true freshmen RB's because they may not have been asked to do very much of this when they were the big time star at High School High.

We have 2, maybe 3 RB's that could be likely candidates for that major accomplishment of rushing for 1,000 or more yards. But if Whaley comes in and earns enough carries to rush for 800-900 yards, that would be a great season for a true freshman. I don't think that there is any doubt that a healthy RWIII is likely a 1,000+ yard rusher if he rebounds to the form he demonstrated last year and remains healthy. If that doesn't happen, look for Kody Walker to get a bigger share of the load. If both of those two are producing at a high level you may see less of Whaley than what everyone expects. I'd be happy to see Whaley get 500 yards this coming season as that would mean that the more seasoned RB's (RWIII, Walker and maybe even a mixture of Damon Mitchell) are having a heck of a year.

So yes, we will have a 1,000+ yard rusher this season and maybe 2 others with 500-800 yards each. The only question is, who will it be?
Go Hogs Go!

smb

GeorgiaHOG

DeltaBoy

I see us having 2 if things fall out right.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

PorkSoda

Quote from: ChitownHawg on April 07, 2016, 09:47:14 pm
CBB has had one year where he used three backs extensively. He came within a few yards of having three 1000 yard backs that year. So throw that year out and you can say CBB lives with two backs extensively.
I agree, even if they all have similar talent, he will choose two and stick with them.  there is only so much practice time, so running 4 backs equally is just not feasible.

the only way we don't get a thousand yard back is if they get injured half way through the season.

cardinalandwhite

"Wise people think all they say; fools say all they think." - Anonymous

JayBell

Quote from: ChitownHawg on April 07, 2016, 09:17:47 pmTwo years ago JWill and AC were the top backs. Who was the third and how many carries did they get?

To be fair, if Korliss Marshall had gotten his act together, he probably would have had 100 carries two years ago.  Bielema LOVES to demoralize a defense.  If he can run the ball on every single play, he will.  Wisconsin put up 60+, 70+, even 80+ points several times during Bielema's tenure.

I do agree he prefers a 1A/1B set up, but if he has a third guy he can put in and be almost as effective, he'll use that extra back to rest the top two and grind the defense down even more.

Four is probably stretching it.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: JayBell on April 08, 2016, 04:47:28 pm
To be fair, if Korliss Marshall had gotten his act together, he probably would have had 100 carries two years ago.  Bielema LOVES to demoralize a defense.  If he can run the ball on every single play, he will.  Wisconsin put up 60+, 70+, even 80+ points several times during Bielema's tenure.

I do agree he prefers a 1A/1B set up, but if he has a third guy he can put in and be almost as effective, he'll use that extra back to rest the top two and grind the defense down even more.

Four is probably stretching it.

I can agree with this. KM had kept his act together it seemed like he was heading toward good things.

bennyl08

Bielema's Ark career

2013: Collins 190, Williams 150, Small 40, Korliss 17
          Arkansas had 2 backs capable of carrying the load in a given game, 1 talented fb, and a change of pace freshmen, note that
          15 of Korliss's 17 came in the last 3 games.

2014: Williams 211, Collins 204, Walker 31, Korliss 25.
          Basically we were in a similar position to 2013, though Korliss had 19 of his 25 in the first 3 games.

2015: Collins 271, Walker 90, RW3 56, BA 56
          Only had one back that coaches wanted carrying the load. Walker's carries increased as the season increased and he did miss 4 games with a broken arm. Interestingly, RW3 had 16 carries in the first game of the season. Given that our first game this year is a cupcake, Whaley could get a lot of carries as well.

HogMantheIntruder

April 09, 2016, 12:21:12 am #81 Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 12:54:25 am by Poppa Tart
Quote from: DiamondHogFan on April 07, 2016, 02:31:19 pm
Yeah, my post obviously came across the wrong way (because I worded in the wrong way).  I only threw Whaley in the "redshirt" sentence in regards to Hammonds.  Hammonds, I think, is a likely redshirt.  If Whaley wasn't coming, Hammonds would be playing.

I do not in the slightest believe Whaley will redshirt, but I believe that Hammonds will due to Whaley being in the same class.
You are insane if you think Hammonds is going to red shirt. The kid scored a touchdown every fourth time he got the ball last year. We had to beat out Bama for him. Zero chance he doesn't see the field this year.

Edit: Keep in mind that he also likely has the best hands out of all of them. Early on, they are going to rely on KW, unless someone else steps up as a great pass blocker. That will invaluable as the line gels, which will take some time. He's also gotten faster as he's dropped weight, plus this guy is just as strong, hits just as hard, and knows the game of football about as well an NFL back. He's literally a man among boys. As the line gets solid, I think we'll start seeing more of DW and Hammonds, and it would not surprise me a bit to see Hammonds lined up back there more than DW. Coach K has already installed a new play to the outside that Duwop gained something like 37 yards on, and Hammonds gives you that kind of speed and he's the perfect back to a run wheel route or any play that requires a toss to the running back. He opens up a whole new chapter of the running playbook. And one more little ray of sunshine- this O-line is probably going to be the most athletic and mobile lines that we have ever had, at least at least with any close to this amount of size, so there shouldn't be any excuse not to run the beloved wheel route, which, according to Hogville (myself included), is the most underutilized offensive play in Razorback football.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Poppa Tart on April 09, 2016, 12:21:12 am
You are insane if you think Hammonds is going to red shirt. The kid scored a touchdown every fourth time he got the ball last year. We had to beat out Bama for him. Zero chance he doesn't see the field this year.

Edit: Keep in mind that he also likely has the best hands out of all of them. Early on, they are going to rely on KW, unless someone else steps up as a great pass blocker. That will invaluable as the line gels, which will take some time. He's also gotten faster as he's dropped weight, plus this guy is just as strong, hits just as hard, and knows the game of football about as well an NFL back. He's literally a man among boys. As the line gets solid, I think we'll start seeing more of DW and Hammonds, and it would not surprise me a bit to see Hammonds lined up back there more than DW. Coach K has already installed a new play to the outside that Duwop gained something like 37 yards on, and Hammonds gives you that kind of speed and he's the perfect back to a run wheel route or any play that requires a toss to the running back. He opens up a whole new chapter of the running playbook. And one more little ray of sunshine- this O-line is probably going to be the most athletic and mobile lines that we have ever had, at least at least with any close to this amount of size, so there shouldn't be any excuse not to run the beloved wheel route, which, according to Hogville (myself included), is the most underutilized offensive play in Razorback football.

I don't know that anyone is "insane" for thinking that we might see Hammonds Redshirt in 2016. I agree that he is a fantastic athlete but none of us know (at this point) how the staff will view his best utilization and whether or not they feel that they have enough athletes experienced enough to execute what they need to get done without using him this season. I am also not sure that we can say that a kid coming out of high school knows the game of football better than an NFL RB. I mean, I can tell you like the kid (ya think?), but that is a bit of a stretch.

Also, if both kids (Hammonds and Whaley) end up being equal in terms of their grasp of the offense and ability to execute on the field, I have my doubts about Hammonds seeing more time in the backfield than Whaley. I'm not sure yet as to how much time Whaley is going to see in the backfield given that there is more to earning reps in the backfield than just running the ball. We will know more about both players after we have seen them on campus and they have had an opportunity to be involved in the program.

Until that happens, while I have high hopes for both kids, let's at least allow them to report to campus and participate in practices before we start crowning them with playing time and being the next great RB at Arkansas.
Go Hogs Go!

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: Poppa Tart on April 09, 2016, 12:21:12 am

Well I may be insane, but it's not because I think Hammonds will redshirt.  He may not, and I will be fine with that because it will mean his talent is too great to keep off the field.

If we had a play designed that Duwop went 37yards on, why not let Duwop run it?  Why does that mean we plug Hammonds in to run that play?  I'm also certain Duwop can effectively run the wheel route.  If Hammonds and Duwop's skillsets are the same at this point, Duwop is going to get the nod due to his experience.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: DiamondHogFan on April 09, 2016, 07:46:47 am
Well I may be insane, but it's not because I think Hammonds will redshirt.  He may not, and I will be fine with that because it will mean his talent is too great to keep off the field.

If we had a play designed that Duwop went 37yards on, why not let Duwop run it?  Why does that mean we plug Hammonds in to run that play?  I'm also certain Duwop can effectively run the wheel route.  If Hammonds and Duwop's skillsets are the same at this point, Duwop is going to get the nod due to his experience.

iirc, big if, CBB said if at all possible he would like Hammonds to red shirt. To give him the time to develop his body.

jgphillips3

Either RW3 or DW (if not both) will get over 1,000 yards.  I think KW might pile up 700-800 as well.  DW can take it to the house.  That gives him a better opportunity for extra yards.  RW3 can take it to the house too.  KW will get his touches and earn his yards.  Should be fun to watch.

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 09, 2016, 07:10:09 am
I don't know that anyone is "insane" for thinking that we might see Hammonds Redshirt in 2016. I agree that he is a fantastic athlete but none of us know (at this point) how the staff will view his best utilization and whether or not they feel that they have enough athletes experienced enough to execute what they need to get done without using him this season. I am also not sure that we can say that a kid coming out of high school knows the game of football better than an NFL RB. I mean, I can tell you like the kid (ya think?), but that is a bit of a stretch.

Also, if both kids (Hammonds and Whaley) end up being equal in terms of their grasp of the offense and ability to execute on the field, I have my doubts about Hammonds seeing more time in the backfield than Whaley. I'm not sure yet as to how much time Whaley is going to see in the backfield given that there is more to earning reps in the backfield than just running the ball. We will know more about both players after we have seen them on campus and they have had an opportunity to be involved in the program.

Until that happens, while I have high hopes for both kids, let's at least allow them to report to campus and participate in practices before we start crowning them with playing time and being the next great RB at Arkansas.
I was referring to KW, not Hammonds, when I was talking about knowing the game of football as well as an NFL back. While I do not believe that he is an NFL caliber RB, he will be going into his sixth season at Running Back U, playing against future NFL players, and being coached by some of the best defensive minds in football. That being said, as read back over my post, "insane" was not the best word to use. I still don't think there's any way TJ doesn't see the field this year, but...

Quote from: DiamondHogFan on April 09, 2016, 07:46:47 am

... I was not trying to be a condescending arse, though looking back on it, I can see that's how my first statement came across. It was not meant to be. TJ is probably my favorite (offensive) recruit out of this class, and "You are insane if you think Hammonds is going to red shirt" was meant to pump some sunshine for TJ, not to insult a fellow Hog fan for his opinion. My apologies for coming across like that. Here's a better way to put it:

I believe you are going to be pleasantly surprised by what you see from Hammonds this season.

The reason I brought up the play which Duwop executed so well was only to give an example of what I believe we will be seeing more of this season- running plays to the outside, which is where I see Hammonds excelling. We haven't had the speed on the O-line to do that in the past few seasons, but I think that's going to change this year.
   -Harry Solomon

gawntrail

1200-1500 All Purpose yards out of Duwop would take a lot of heat off of RBs.... Almost assuring 2x1000 yd rushers.

That and 60% completion with 200 passing per game....

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Poppa Tart on April 09, 2016, 12:38:54 pm
I was referring to KW, not Hammonds, when I was talking about knowing the game of football as well as an NFL back. While I do not believe that he is an NFL caliber RB, he will be going into his sixth season at Running Back U, playing against future NFL players, and being coached by some of the best defensive minds in football. 

My mistake, you did state that clearly, I just misread. Mea Culpa. Though I am still not certain he (KW) knows as much as NFL level RB's. There is usually a learning curve at that level as well with the very best collection of players from college football winding up there and getting better after being there. The speed of the game changes at that level as well. Everyone is exceptional.
Go Hogs Go!

bennyl08

I think a lot of Hammond's niche is currently filled by Mitchell right now though. How much TJ plays and whether he redshirts or not depends a lot on what Damon does IMO. Right now, I think Duwop fits into that Nate Holmes/Korliss Marshall type role and nothing more, averaging about 5-7 touches total per game.

DiamondHogFan

... I was not trying to be a condescending arse, though looking back on it, I can see that's how my first statement came across. It was not meant to be. TJ is probably my favorite (offensive) recruit out of this class, and "You are insane if you think Hammonds is going to red shirt" was meant to pump some sunshine for TJ, not to insult a fellow Hog fan for his opinion. My apologies for coming across like that. Here's a better way to put it:

I believe you are going to be pleasantly surprised by what you see from Hammonds this season.

The reason I brought up the play which Duwop executed so well was only to give an example of what I believe we will be seeing more of this season- running plays to the outside, which is where I see Hammonds excelling. We haven't had the speed on the O-line to do that in the past few seasons, but I think that's going to change this year.
No worries.  I do hope TJ shines when his time comes.  Whether it be this fall or next, or the next...he will be a playmaker and leader that we will desperately need.  I don't want a "redshirt" to sound like a downgrade.  I want to get to the point where we can "redshirt" 4 star talent just because we have plenty of 4 and 5 star caliber athletes already playing, not because the incoming talent isn't good enough.

Since 1894

The first thing I heard today was that he grew up on a pig farm. That's quite a start in my book. And my last memory was watching him hang 70 on Nebraska. Just those two facts are enough (for me to like him). Then, I hear that he's out of the Hayden Fry-Bill Snyder-Barry Alvarez coaching tree. Oh, that's enough for me to like a lot. Then, I hear he's got a 27-year-old wife. Okay, we can stop. I like him.

BARRY SWITZER- Former Arkansas Asst. Coach
Quote given to Clay Henry

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

HogInFlorida

Here's how I see it. I bet Rawleigh will get the most carries and will get 1000. Walker will be a primarily short yardage guy like he always has but will take some more carries than he has. Devwah will probably get about as many carries as Kody. Duwop and Hammonds will be change of pace guys and Duwop will be the wildcat.
Quote from: Mike Irwin on June 12, 2013, 09:18:52 pm
I'd rather be hit over the head with a brick than have to revisit the memories of those seven awful months with coach "Smile" in charge.

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 09, 2016, 12:55:23 pm
My mistake, you did state that clearly, I just misread. Mea Culpa. Though I am still not certain he (KW) knows as much as NFL level RB's. There is usually a learning curve at that level as well with the very best collection of players from college football winding up there and getting better after being there. The speed of the game changes at that level as well. Everyone is exceptional.
This is true, but you have to think that, after five years, his knowledge of the game, blocking schemes, overall maturity, physical conditioning, etc. are at a different level than the vast majority of college football players.
The coaching staff also knows him so well by this point that there will be very little guesswork in how they want to utilize him. I hope that he really gets to shine this year. If we only have one 1,000 yard back I hope it's him; Lord knows he has earned it.

Quote from: DiamondHogFan on April 09, 2016, 01:51:10 pm
No worries.  I do hope TJ shines when his time comes.  Whether it be this fall or next, or the next...he will be a playmaker and leader that we will desperately need.  I don't want a "redshirt" to sound like a downgrade.  I want to get to the point where we can "redshirt" 4 star talent just because we have plenty of 4 and 5 star caliber athletes already playing, not because the incoming talent isn't good enough.
We are definitely in agreement on that! It's kind of crazy that during recruiting season (even after signing DW) many of us were worried that we wouldn't have enough talent at the RB position this year, and now we're discussing the possibility of not having enough carries to go around. I'll take that problem any day!
   -Harry Solomon

hawginbigd1

We have a muddled mess at RB in a good way sort of, we have unprovens, injury problems, relatively high numbers of possibilities. However as per usual 2 of these people will separate themselves and we will have at least 1 1000 guy and possibly 2 IMO.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Poppa Tart on April 09, 2016, 03:06:14 pm
This is true, but you have to think that, after five years, his knowledge of the game, blocking schemes, overall maturity, physical conditioning, etc. are at a different level than the vast majority of college football players.
The coaching staff also knows him so well by this point that there will be very little guesswork in how they want to utilize him. I hope that he really gets to shine this year. If we only have one 1,000 yard back I hope it's him; Lord knows he has earned it.
We are definitely in agreement on that! It's kind of crazy that during recruiting season (even after signing DW) many of us were worried that we wouldn't have enough talent at the RB position this year, and now we're discussing the possibility of not having enough carries to go around. I'll take that problem any day!

This will be Kody's 6th season and his time here has been fraught with bad luck in terms of injuries. I'm glad he is getting another chance. He knows this program and the system very well and that is his advantage. I'm happy to see him shed some weight but I am afraid he is going to wind up having to go after the tougher yards because of his size and being accustomed to having to acquire those yards inside. There's a big difference in knowing a college program and their system inside and out and knowing the NFL.

But, I wish the young man every single success. I would love to see him be a 1,000+ yard rusher this season but I am afraid that just isn't in the cards for him. I can't however, say that he is at a different level of knowledge, blocking, maturity and conditioning than other P-5 RB's, let alone the majority. That would require being able to measure the same criteria among other college RB's and that just isn't possible. All that said, I hope he has a very, very successful 6th year of eligibility. I would love to see him get his NFL shot based off this last and final season.
Go Hogs Go!

ChitownHawg

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on April 09, 2016, 03:12:59 pm
We have a muddled mess at RB in a good way sort of, we have unprovens, injury problems, relatively high numbers of possibilities. However as per usual 2 of these people will separate themselves and we will have at least 1 1000 guy and possibly 2 IMO.

As fans we may see a muddled mess, but I don't think the coaches do.

Jonteviosk

Someone mentioned a Williams is this Jonathon Williams or someone else. If Jonathon got a medical redshirt he would start he already has the pedigree...No its prolly Raleigh Williams huh? Well then Whaley starts Raleigh backs him up and we use Kody like we used Peyton Hillis.
You never know in advance what the outcome of any given situation is so either get busy living or get busy dying.

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: Jonteviosk on April 09, 2016, 06:47:45 pm
Someone mentioned a Williams is this Jonathon Williams or someone else. If Jonathon got a medical redshirt he would start he already has the pedigree...No its prolly Raleigh Williams huh? Well then Whaley starts Raleigh backs him up and we use Kody like we used Peyton Hillis.
You mean waste his talent with terrible play calling and then kill his draft status by trashing him to the NFL scouts?
   -Harry Solomon

FANONTHEHILL

Barring injury, I imagine Kody Walker will hit 1000yds.  Rawleigh will be brought on slowly in spots the first game or two since he hasn't seen contact since is injury.  Duwop, Juan, and Denzel will see spot time.  Devwah will be put in spots in the first couple games and then will start splitting a lot of time with Kody and Rawleigh. I see Kody over 1000, Rawleigh and Decwah with 500-700 and Duwop leading in yards per attempt from situational big plays.  The new blocking schemes and techniques will improve our downhill running game.  Combine that with the fear of receivers and TEs and I see a big year running the ball.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015