Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Will we have a 1,000 yard rusher in 2016?

Started by nwahogfan1, April 07, 2016, 08:26:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

How many 1,000 yard rushers will we have this year?

0.  No one back shines so we have RB by committee.
41 (18.3%)
1.  Any guess who it might be?
67 (29.9%)
2.  We are deeper than most think.
116 (51.8%)

Total Members Voted: 224

Voting closed: May 07, 2016, 08:26:44 am

nwahogfan1

Will we have RB University by committee or will one or two backs really step up?

Any guesses who will lead us in rushing and number of yards he gains this year?

Will it be Walker?  Williams?   Duwop?    Whaley? 

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

nwahogfan1

If he remains healthy I think Williams will run for 1300+ yards this year but Walker and one more maybe Duwop or Whaley will have 600+.

I am not sure about Duwop.    I think he will peel off some nice runs but is he a 15+ carry a game guy?  I just don't know. 

gmarv

I think walker and one of the other three will.

JIHawg

Injuries always play a role at this position, but the cream will rise to the top between now and the first week of September.

DiamondHogFan

Walker or Williams.  Depends on which ends up getting the most carries.

Also, did anyone predict 3-4 years ago that Kody Walker may have a chance at a 1,000 yard season?  I sure didn't.  I hope it happens for Kody.  He has be a true team player and a great Razorback.

rzrbackramsfan

Going from the under armor all American game I think Whaley will.  I think rawleigh might too.  Kody I don't see it, he's had too many 1-2 yard run for me to believe other wise, but would love to be proved wrong.  Duwop, I agree with the earlier poster that he probably won't get that many carries, but I think his ypc will be really high.

ChitownHawg

Considering this is Spring - I will say we have the talent at RB to have a couple of 1000 rushers. Will they? Depends on the oline and QB to be able to hit receivers.

During one of our games last year the announcer said what made BA so good with play action was he always looked the same. His movement didn't change, so the LBs and safeties had to respect the run. We have some very talented QBs on the team.

My guess is we will have two RBs hit a 1000.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

go hogues

Add Hammonds in there. I was rewatching his film the other night and he reminds me of Felix's HS tape.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: go hogues on April 07, 2016, 10:12:34 am
Add Hammonds in there. I was rewatching his film the other night and he reminds me of Felix's HS tape.
I think either he or Whaley redshirt.  Not because they aren't capable, but because we have Kody, Rawleigh, and most likely Duwop.  Unless there are major injuries or they just prove to be better than Kody and Rawleigh, I don't see both Hammonds and Whaley playing this year.

Großer Kriegschwein

In no particular order:

Damon Mitchell (starting to look like a RB, got some wheels)

Kody Walker (trimming some weight, hopefully that will make him a more sure footed runner)

RWIII (hungry, would have probably had 1000 last year)

Juan Day (big, upright power runner. Finally physically getting a chance to compete)

TJ Hammond (fast, versatile, as someone said, Felix type runner)

Devwah Whaley (everything you're looking for, big, fast, strong and smart)
This is my non-signature signature.

texas tush hog

You don't redshirt a back of Whaley's calibre, if you do you don't ever recruit another one, especially from out of state. Hammonds might, but I doubt it if he is as good as I think he is, he is going to see the field somewhere. You probably are not getting these top notch kids for three years anyway, why sit them for two of them. Redshirts are for o-line and in state projects only. You don't kill your recruiting by redshirting your best prospects. We're not there yet.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: DiamondHogFan on April 07, 2016, 10:16:02 am
I think either he or Whaley redshirt.  Not because they aren't capable, but because we have Kody, Rawleigh, and most likely Duwop.  Unless there are major injuries or they just prove to be better than Kody and Rawleigh, I don't see both Hammonds and Whaley playing this year.

I think DW plays. CBB wants this program to make that last push into the top of the SEC. He considers DW potentially the best he has recruited, so he plays him. In my opinion.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Wildhog

Zero percent chance that Whaley redshirts, barring injury. 
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

King Kong

someone will have 1,000 yard. IMO this is the order of likely hood Williams, Walker and Whaley.

rzrbackramsfan

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

rzrbackramsfan

lumphog

Seebs

We always will have at least one, most years two. Your poll questions make no sense.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

TXrazorback

Quote from: Seebs on April 07, 2016, 11:35:39 am
We always will have at least one, most years two. Your poll questions make no sense.

I made a new poll to help out:

Will there be a 1,000 yd rusher in 2016?

a) I just Darren McFadden
c) Frito Pie
d) 10-12
Quote from: Hawg Balling on December 04, 2012, 03:59:08 pm
According to Hogville, fantasy offense and passing 80 times a game wins championships.

alohawg

I think the first couple games will shake things out and we'll see a tandem of RWIII and Whaley getting the bulk of carries. Walker and the rest will get a handful of combined snaps. RWIII will give some db's a headache this season.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

trphog

I'm going to say no. I think we have a lot of talent at the position. However, there is no clear cut superstar at the position like we have had the last three years and like most of Coach B's Wisconsin teams. Plus the biggest reason; our passing game is going to be just that good.

southarkhog06

Quote from: alohawg on April 07, 2016, 01:27:44 pm
I think the first couple games will shake things out and we'll see a tandem of RWIII and Whaley getting the bulk of carries. Walker and the rest will get a handful of combined snaps. RWIII will give some db's a headache this season.
This does not make me sad at all to think about.

justmaybe

It's hard to say Bielema and not say 1000 yard rusher. But if any year is it it might be this year. My thinking is that walker gets lots of carries early.... If for no other reason he is in more for pass protection. And at best 4 yards per carry is a whole lot of carries to get 100 per game. And I don't think the oline opens big holes until a few weeks in. Williams is still going to be brought along slow. Whaley and Hammond are freshman and get more as the season progresses. Unless someone really lights it up in fall, maybe Duwop, maybe Whaley, I don't see anyone with 500 yards in week 5 and then the defenses get even harder . If it happens I think Williams or Whaley (Duwop is a wild card) if they get started early with 15 carries. As much as I like walker until I see him break off a couple 25 yd runs I say not him.

cardinalandwhite

April 07, 2016, 01:58:15 pm #25 Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 02:22:23 pm by cardinalandwhite
Remember that Bielema is also building an image. That image includes having a back or two run for 1,000 yards every year. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it's Whaley. Three backs in SEC history have run for 1,000 yards, two of whom are hogs and the third just finished his jr. season here. Now's the time to have another true freshman do it and cement our reputation as RB University.
"Wise people think all they say; fools say all they think." - Anonymous

SemperHawg

At least one.  I am thinking one over a thousand and a second very close to it.  With us breaking in a new starter at QB and at least 3 new O-Linemen.  This may be the heaviest we will rely on the run since Coach B has been here.

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: Wildhog on April 07, 2016, 10:37:32 am
Zero percent chance that Whaley redshirts, barring injury.
Yeah, my post obviously came across the wrong way (because I worded in the wrong way).  I only threw Whaley in the "redshirt" sentence in regards to Hammonds.  Hammonds, I think, is a likely redshirt.  If Whaley wasn't coming, Hammonds would be playing.

I do not in the slightest believe Whaley will redshirt, but I believe that Hammonds will due to Whaley being in the same class. 

WMHawgfan

I think the answer to this is going to depend on QB play. I think we are going to rely more on the run this year naturally because you will have a new QB but it will depend on how much the opposing D has to respect our passing game. If it can't prevent them from stacking the box then I don't think we get a back to 1000. if the passing game is even in the neighborhood of what it was at the end of the year last year we could end up with a couple of 1000 yard backs.

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: WMHawgfan on April 07, 2016, 02:31:36 pm
I think the answer to this is going to depend on QB play. I think we are going to rely more on the run this year naturally because you will have a new QB but it will depend on how much the opposing D has to respect our passing game. If it can't prevent them from stacking the box then I don't think we get a back to 1000. if the passing game is even in the neighborhood of what it was at the end of the year last year we could end up with a couple of 1000 yard backs.
True.  But the one thing that negates that is our very experienced, talented, deep WR group.  If we can form any kind of a slant/tunnel screen connection, the opposing defenses with have to respect it and loosen up a bit in the box.  I think our QB, whoever it is, will be capable of getting the ball outside to the WR's and let them work.  We have too much QB talent on the hill to not have one capable of getting the ball to our playmakers efficiently.

WMHawgfan

Quote from: DiamondHogFan on April 07, 2016, 02:36:23 pm
True.  But the one thing that negates that is our very experienced, talented, deep WR group.  If we can form any kind of a slant/tunnel screen connection, the opposing defenses with have to respect it and loosen up a bit in the box.  I think our QB, whoever it is, will be capable of getting the ball outside to the WR's and let them work.  We have too much QB talent on the hill to not have one capable of getting the ball to our playmakers efficiently.
I agree and think we will be very good, but you just never know with none of these qb's having any major experience just how well they will perform until they are thrown in the fire.

AirWarren

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on April 07, 2016, 10:54:56 am
Whaleys our best back right now.

Way to set the kid and fanbase up for disappointment if he turns out not to be.

woodhog14

Quote from: DiamondHogFan on April 07, 2016, 10:16:02 am

There is no way Whaley redshirts.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Wildhog on April 07, 2016, 10:56:05 am
He will be when he steps onto campus.

The never played RB I guess falls into the same category as the never played QB.  Lots of hope for their future.  I know a great HS RB can come in here and it the holes are there can rush for a ton of yards but to put him ahead of Williams who as a Stud also in HS and was going to get himself 1000+ yards last year if he was healthy. 

I hope  Whaley is all he is supposed to be plus more so we will see.  It is good to have competition and depth.

JayBell

I think whoever the leading rusher is will finish in the low 1000s.  Somewhere around 1,000-1,200.  The coaching staff is very aware about how numbers like that can be used to further the program's brand.  That's not to say they'll make the statistics the No. 1 concern.  They definitely won't, but they'll help a guy pad their stats when they can.

I think that guy will be Whaley.  Just like they're aware of statistical milestones, they know what message they can send by churning out Alex Collins and having another freshman get 1,000 yards immediately.

Of course, more than that, I think Whaley will be the best combination of speed and power at the position.  He's definitely faster than Walker and Williams, a more natural runner than Duwop and I think he's more likely to get the necessary reps than Hammonds.

JayBell

Still, running back production is all about health.  It was ridiculous how thin Arkansas was at the position at times last season.  I think they'll surprise everybody again this season with more depth than anyone was expecting.

nchogg

Quote from: lumphog on April 07, 2016, 11:34:42 am
I wouldn't bet against RWIII

After listening to him he is hungry and will be an angry runner. Watch out Auburn!

bennyl08

Barring injuries obviously,

RW3 will come in as our primary back. He should certainly rush for 1000 yards on the season.

Projecting a normal progression of learning the offense, Whaley will be slowly phased into the game with Walker and possibly Damon acting as 2a and 2b, particularly against TCU. Sometime in the mid season, Whaley's understanding will progress sufficiently so that he is basically 1b to Rawleigh's 1a with Walker coming in with some regularity and also closing out games.

Of course, Whaley could progress quite fast over the summer and be ahead of the others by the first game, or he may take the full year and never become more than a change of pace and KR person.

Assuming the normal progression, RW3 is a sure bet barring injury to reach 1k yards. I think Whaley and Walker would both project at over 1k yards if they had higher workloads throughout the season, but both will eat into each other's yards some with something like walker gaining 500 yards over the first 5 games or so and Whaley getting 500 over the last 5, but diminished carries for Walker over the back half of the season and sporadic carries for Whaley over the first half.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

cardinalandwhite

It could very well be RWIII, but he's coming off a severe neck injury. That has to be in his head, and his success will likely depend on getting over the mental aspect of recovering from his injury. He's as unknown as a true freshman, imo.
"Wise people think all they say; fools say all they think." - Anonymous

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Don't count out Walker.
I read somewhere that he's trimming down to 230-235.
He's pretty nimble at 256.
20-25 pounds off that frame could make a serious difference.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: AP85 on April 07, 2016, 02:56:29 pm
Way to set the kid and fanbase up for disappointment if he turns out not to be.

I feel ya on that and admit I'm making a bold prediction.  But he's the consensus third best high school running back, even higher overall than Collins coming out of high school.  I think it'll be close between him and rawleigh but Whaley will probably be our best back. 

Hopefully he's not reading this cause he probably has still do quite a bit of work to get there.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: trphog on April 07, 2016, 01:37:36 pm
I'm going to say no. I think we have a lot of talent at the position. However, there is no clear cut superstar at the position like we have had the last three years and like most of Coach B's Wisconsin teams. Plus the biggest reason; our passing game is going to be just that good.

Have you looked at DW's credentials? He is a clear cut superstar. Just as much as AC was.

Seebs

Wait wait wait. Trey Biddy proclaims that RWIII is a three star running back and in the history of all of college football no three star Running Back is capable of being an elite back since recruiting gurus rank running backs much better than other positions.

So I'm sorry, but if Trey Biddy says RWIII will just be a role back, then that must be true.   It's 4:51 - almost time fro Trey! Need to log off and go learn some Razorback and crootin stuff from TB.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 07, 2016, 03:35:37 pm
Barring injuries obviously,

RW3 will come in as our primary back. He should certainly rush for 1000 yards on the season.

Projecting a normal progression of learning the offense, Whaley will be slowly phased into the game with Walker and possibly Damon acting as 2a and 2b, particularly against TCU. Sometime in the mid season, Whaley's understanding will progress sufficiently so that he is basically 1b to Rawleigh's 1a with Walker coming in with some regularity and also closing out games.

Of course, Whaley could progress quite fast over the summer and be ahead of the others by the first game, or he may take the full year and never become more than a change of pace and KR person.

Assuming the normal progression, RW3 is a sure bet barring injury to reach 1k yards. I think Whaley and Walker would both project at over 1k yards if they had higher workloads throughout the season, but both will eat into each other's yards some with something like walker gaining 500 yards over the first 5 games or so and Whaley getting 500 over the last 5, but diminished carries for Walker over the back half of the season and sporadic carries for Whaley over the first half.

I think you are correct. I would say RWIII is JWill and DW is AC his freshman year.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Seebs on April 07, 2016, 04:52:05 pm
Wait wait wait. Trey Biddy proclaims that RWIII is a three star running back and in the history of all of college football no three star Running Back is capable of being an elite back since recruiting gurus rank running backs much better than other positions.

So I'm sorry, but if Trey Biddy says RWIII will just be a role back, then that must be true.   It's 4:51 - almost time fro Trey! Need to log off and go learn some Razorback and crootin stuff from TB.

Crap! I was hoping good things for the kid. Someone should ask Trey if RWIII should be moved to safety.  ;)

bphi11ips

Bret Bielema has had at least one 1000 yard rusher in every year he has served as head coach.  So the odds are pretty good he'll have one this year. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

trphog

Quote from: ChitownHawg on April 07, 2016, 04:46:26 pm
Have you looked at DW's credentials? He is a clear cut superstar. Just as much as AC was.

Yes- highly recruited 4*. I slap happy to have him. There is absolutely no way he can be considered a star in college though. For every AC ( highly recruited kid who succeeds as a freshman) there are a bunch of Darius Winston's (5* who never live up to their rankings). Go look up how many 4* running backs came out of high school last year. How many of those do you think will be 1,000 yard rushers in college next year? There were only 3 freshmen in the top 50 rushers in college last year. Only one of those was in the top 25: http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/individual/469

With that said- I hope I'm wrong and the kid truly is a superstar if it translates to wins.

trphog

Quote from: bphi11ips on April 07, 2016, 06:01:21 pm
Bret Bielema has had at least one 1000 yard rusher in every year he has served as head coach.  So the odds are pretty good he'll have one this year. 

That's a great stat!

RebelW

DW plays. I believe he will be the #2 back behind either KW or RWIII. The same roll AC had his freshman year. TJ Hammonds will redshirt I believe. And WR is to stacked for him to play slot there. They had to Red Shirt Deon Stewart last year and it was hard for them to do it because of his talent, so I believe TJ will work on the play book unless injuries or really just way to good to keep off the field. But I believe he will be a RB. Slot receiver is Deon Stewart's all day

swineology

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on April 07, 2016, 08:26:44 am
Will we have RB University by committee or will one or two backs really step up?

Any guesses who will lead us in rushing and number of yards he gains this year?

Will it be Walker?  Williams?   Duwop?    Whaley?

Yup, Kody will have an amazing year.