Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Board of Trustees to vote on RRS expansion next week

Started by ricepig, March 24, 2016, 08:30:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bphi11ips

Quote from: Supermark101 on March 24, 2016, 05:03:02 pm
How is this

any less closed in than this

Maybe a few rows lower, but it's nothing that will matter.

We rarely sale out as it is. This is unlikely to ever change, for multiple reason. People that can afford Luxury boxes are plentiful. That is how you maximize profit.

Seating capacity at Jordan-Hare is currently 12,000 more than RRS will accommodate after the expansion.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: bphi11ips on March 24, 2016, 06:09:43 pm
Read my first post if you want it in a nutshell.  I've shared my opinions in greater detail with ricepig in PMs previously.  If I wanted to share them with Hogville I would have done so already. 

Notice I've revise my post to include your reasons as I understand in your first post. The part I added was the word "regular" in reference to seat types. That's because I wanted to emphasize that the new seating is upgraded with the resultant increase in revenue. PM me if you like. We've had PM's before and I've never revealed them and never will for any PM I've ever received from anybody on here.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 24, 2016, 06:16:27 pm

Notice I've revise my post to include your reasons as I understand in your first post. The part I added was the word "regular" in reference to seat types. That's because I wanted to emphasize that the new seating is upgraded with the resultant increase in revenue. PM me if you like. We've had PM's before and I've never revealed them and never will for any PM I've ever received from anybody on here.

We have room for 3000ish permanent seats if we ever needed them on top of the SEZ, we haven't shown a consistent need. We are getting a new BAC, two new elevator towers, re-do of the club and suite areas, plus new concessions in a concourse. It sounds like a lot of money to me, but we've always been careful in our spending.

Supermark101

March 24, 2016, 07:44:53 pm #53 Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 09:10:31 pm by Supermark101
Quote from: bphi11ips on March 24, 2016, 06:12:58 pm
Seating capacity at Jordan-Hare is currently 12,000 more than RRS will accommodate after the expansion.

Good for them, They also sell more season ticket packages, than we have seats now.
http://www.auburntigers.com/facilities/jordan_hare_stadium.html

We can't sell ours, but we can sell suites. and boxes.

EDIT

I miss read the article I posted. The difference is 12,000. We can still add 8,000 to the south side, which was apart of the last renovation's plan

ThisTeetsTaken

Would closing in the NEZ help recruiting therefore help winning and therefore help put more fans in the stadium? 
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

ricepig

Quote from: Supermark101 on March 24, 2016, 07:44:53 pm
Good for them, They also sell more season ticket packages, than we have seats now. We can't sell ours, but we can sell suites. and boxes.

Also new capacity will be 80,000. I'm not sure if that counts standing room
http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/donald-w-reynolds-razorback-stadium/

Auburn's capacity is 87,451
http://www.auburntigers.com/facilities/jordan_hare_stadium.html

I'm just a poor ole Arkansas grad but that is less than 12,000.

72,000 is the official listed capacity these days since they took down the green bleachers. We had 76,000+ a couple of times when we filled them up, but basically unused and converted to a student area last year.

Supermark101

Quote from: ricepig on March 24, 2016, 07:50:42 pm
72,000 is the official listed capacity these days since they took down the green bleachers. We had 76,000+ a couple of times when we filled them up, but basically unused and converted to a student area last year.

72,000 has always been the listed capacity, or the NCAA Football games lies. Yeah we have had 76,000 a few times, but Auburn has sold at least 75,000 season ticket packages for 18 years.

factchecker

It makes me laugh thinking about all the idiots who complain about how stadium renovations will take money away from students. 

Do YOU really not know that the University of Arkansas is the only athletic program in our state who don't rely on student fees?   The ONLY university in Arkansas that doesn't charge non-optional, mandatory, forced athletic fees. 

$0 charged to students

0!

NADA

ZILCH

The only way students are charged money is if they CHOOSE to buy a student access pass for football/basketball games.  The pass costs $85 and gives them access to all football and basketball games for the year.  All other sports are free to attend as a student.

QuoteStudent Ticket Options
Student Razorback Access Pass – $85
(Access to All Home Football and Men's Basketball Events)
Student Razorback Access Pass + Collegiate Membership to the Razorback Foundation – $100
(Access to All Home Football and Men's Basketball Events + Benefits of being a Collegiate Razorback Foundation Member)
Access to all other regular season Razorback sporting events – FREE with valid student ID

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/student-tickets/

Hell, the University of Arkansas' athletic department actually gives back to the University: 

http://news.uark.edu/articles/32294/champions-hall-newest-classroom-building-on-campus-officially-open

QuoteThe 62,000-square-foot structure cost $26.5 million to build and equip. A significant amount of the funding was made possible by the U of A Athletics Department, which committed a portion of the university's annual share of Southeastern Conference revenues to the project. Those funds will be used to pay off approximately $18 million in bonds that were issued to build the Champions Hall.

On the other hand jonesboro charges their undergraduate students a mandatory (forced and non-optional) athletic fee.  $17 per credit hour.  This equals $204 a semester for an average student taking 12 hours.   Totals to over $400 a year for sun belt quality athletics. 
link: http://www.astate.edu/info/costs/undergraduate/

If you want to complaing about stealing from students or charging more money to your kids then go to the runnin pups forum.

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Supermark101

Bottom Line....this is why it is being done.

"All 134 of the stadium's luxury suites were sold out at the time of the 2013 survey, with a waiting list consisting of approximately 75 accounts."

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2015/aug/25/razorbacks-still-exploring-stadium-expansion

bythelake

Fact checke, it is a privilege to read your post.  Go hogs.

factchecker

Quote from: Supermark101 on March 24, 2016, 09:09:26 pm
Bottom Line....this is why it is being done.

"All 134 of the stadium's luxury suites were sold out at the time of the 2013 survey, with a waiting list consisting of approximately 75 accounts."

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2015/aug/25/razorbacks-still-exploring-stadium-expansion

Yes sir.

The best thing about luxury suites is the added $$$.  This should help alleviate costs elsewhere... i.e., lower ticket costs in the upper deck - which they have already done.

People hate to see big wigs and corporate sponsors wine and dine in luxury boxes.  But if it can help us bring in more $ and hopefully make the average ticket more affordable for families - then I'm all for it.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

ricepig

Quote from: factchecker on March 24, 2016, 09:14:15 pm
Yes sir.

The best thing about luxury suites is the added $$$.  This should help alleviate costs elsewhere... i.e., lower ticket costs in the upper deck - which they have already done.

People hate to see big wigs and corporate sponsors wine and dine in luxury boxes.  But if it can help us bring in more $ and hopefully make the average ticket more affordable for families - then I'm all for it.

Well, the average ticket is going up, haha, outside of the upper deck. Mine are going up 41.7%, but I'll keep them. I have heard of several who have stated they weren't going to either renew their SEC Outdoor club seats, or cut back the number, we'll see.

factchecker

Quote from: ricepig on March 24, 2016, 09:31:09 pm
Well, the average ticket is going up, haha, outside of the upper deck. Mine are going up 41.7%, but I'll keep them. I have heard of several who have stated they weren't going to either renew their SEC Outdoor club seats, or cut back the number, we'll see.

I'm in the lower bowl so mine went up as well.  I actually wouldn't mind paying a considerable amount more if they made the entire lower bowl (aside from visitors, student section, and band location) chairback.

I stand up for large portions of the game but I wouldn't mind having a nice defined seat.  Some times you stand up and through the commotion you realize someone is sitting on half your seat.  A chairback would ensure nobody takes your seat.  Chairbacks would also decrease the capacity.  We could bowl in the NEZ increasing capcity to 80,000 and then install chairbacks decreasing it back down slightly.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

ImHogginIt

Quote from: factchecker on March 24, 2016, 09:03:39 pm
It makes me laugh thinking about all the idiots who complain about how stadium renovations will take money away from students. 

Do YOU really not know that the University of Arkansas is the only athletic program in our state who don't rely on student fees?   The ONLY university in Arkansas that doesn't charge non-optional, mandatory, forced athletic fees. 

$0 charged to students

0!

NADA

ZILCH

The only way students are charged money is if they CHOOSE to buy a student access pass for football/basketball games.  The pass costs $85 and gives them access to all football and basketball games for the year.  All other sports are free to attend as a student.

Hell, the University of Arkansas' athletic department actually gives back to the University: 

http://news.uark.edu/articles/32294/champions-hall-newest-classroom-building-on-campus-officially-open

On the other hand jonesboro charges their undergraduate students a mandatory (forced and non-optional) athletic fee.  $17 per credit hour.  This equals $204 a semester for an average student taking 12 hours.   Totals to over $400 a year for sun belt quality athletics. 

If you want to complaing about stealing from students or charging more money to your kids then go to the runnin pups forum.

You could post this daily for years and some idiots here will still think students pay for athletics.  :-[

ricepig

Quote from: factchecker on March 24, 2016, 09:46:11 pm
I'm in the lower bowl so mine went up as well.  I actually wouldn't mind paying a considerable amount more if they made the entire lower bowl (aside from visitors, student section, and band location) chairback.

I stand up for large portions of the game but I wouldn't mind having a nice defined seat.  Some times you stand up and through the commotion you realize someone is sitting on half your seat.  A chairback would ensure nobody takes your seat.  Chairbacks would also decrease the capacity.  We could bowl in the NEZ increasing capcity to 80,000 and then install chairbacks decreasing it back down slightly.

They'd have to redo all the concrete in the lower bowls to have chairbacks, unfortunately, not enough room. I used to have 4 seats that I only used 3 at WMS, still didn't matter, people would squeeze some extras in and I didn't even have 3.

bphi11ips

Quote from: factchecker on March 24, 2016, 09:14:15 pm
Yes sir.

RRS already has more luxury boxes than Neyland Stadium.

bphi11ips

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on March 24, 2016, 07:47:30 pm
Would closing in the NEZ help recruiting therefore help winning and therefore help put more fans in the stadium? 

Every war has a moral justification.

choppedporkextrasauce

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 24, 2016, 12:08:45 pm
What's the difference?
they're both good men unlike the trash we have currently have. Asking questions is never bad in an age of transparency (supposed).

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: bphi11ips on March 24, 2016, 10:01:48 pm

We couldn't fill Neyland.  But we do have a demand for more premium seating. 

Neyland's capacity has been reduced but premium seating has been added.  This is the trend in sports.  Do you really not understand or just wanting to argue? 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

AirWarren

Waste of money IMO. Prove you can fill the seats first. Then expand.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: AP85 on March 24, 2016, 10:19:22 pm
Waste of money IMO. Prove you can fill the seats first. Then expand.

Prove you can fill premium seating with a waiting list for it without building it?
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

ImHogginIt

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 24, 2016, 10:48:39 pm
Prove you can fill premium seating with a waiting list for it without building it?

LOL  ;D  +1

ricepig

You can't fix you know what.......

hogcard1964

No offense because I'm for closing off the end zone, as it doesn't look as "high school-ish". But didn't we have trouble selling out all of our home games last season?

factchecker

Quote from: hogcard1964 on March 25, 2016, 08:43:52 am
No offense because I'm for closing off the end zone, as it doesn't look as "high school-ish". But didn't we have trouble selling out all of our home games last season?

Not the premium seats.  There is a waiting list for suites.  Supply and demand.  This expansion will supply the demand for premium seats. 

Hopefully the lower prices for the 500s will fill the nosebleeds.

In regards to selling out - not filling out - here are the attendance figures from last year:

Donald W. Reynolds Stadium

Date           Opponent         Attendance
09/05/15   UTEP                      67,708
09/19/15   Texas Tech            73,334
10/24/15   Auburn                      72,008
10/31/15   Tenn.-Martin              64,206
11/21/15   Mississippi St.              71,936
11/27/15   Missouri                   72,496

Which means (if I did my math right) that we averaged selling 70,281 tickets for games at Donald W. Reynolds Stadium. 

http://www.cfbstats.com/2015/team/31/index.html

scroll down to results and the attendance # shows the amount of bought tickets.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

nwahogfan1

Quote from: ricepig on March 24, 2016, 08:45:35 am
Uh, you think the kids will be paying for this? Perhaps if they become RF members after college and contribute and buy tickets.

did not say our kids will be paying for it.  OK,  I will try to get this down to your level.  I  said the boosters and the football tickets pay for it but the College will charge more money to our kids(students) because it will make the campus prettier. 

ChitownHawg

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on March 25, 2016, 09:26:37 am
did not say our kids will be paying for it.  OK,  I will try to get this down to your level.  I  said the boosters and the football tickets pay for it but the College will charge more money to our kids(students) because it will make the campus prettier.

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on March 24, 2016, 08:39:54 am
A no brainer for UofA president and board because they get a $100+ million beautification project for nothing so they charge more money to our kids.

Sure seems like that is what you said. If you didn't say that then please explain what you meant by "they charge more money to our kids"?

Just admit that it.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

ricepig

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on March 25, 2016, 09:26:37 am

Level, lol, it appears you're stuck in the "Ned and the 3rd Reader" category with that leap.

opineonswine

Quote from: bphi11ips on March 24, 2016, 12:57:56 pm
The expansion is too expensive for the marginal increase in seating capacity and compromises long-term options to fully enclose the north end zone in a way that increases capacity to a number that is competitive with upper tier SEC schools.  The expansion will primarily benefit those who can afford a luxury box, albeit one with a low-level end-zone view of the field. 

The plan is ill-conceived and premature, and David Pryor is the only one willing to say the emperor has no clothes.  The plan will pass, but time will prove Pryor was right.   

We don't need extra seats.  Adding a bunch of capacity would be ill-conceived.  It's a great plan and hopefully gets done ASAP. 

opineonswine

Quote from: HF#1 on March 24, 2016, 04:08:58 pm
This is bogus.  We don't need more club seats.  We need more everyday Joe seats.

??? It's 180 degrees the other way.  The everyday Joe seats don't sell out.  Plus the upgrade seating brings in a lot more $$$.

hogcard1964

Quote from: factchecker on March 25, 2016, 09:02:54 am
Not the premium seats.  There is a waiting list for suites.  Supply and demand.  This expansion will supply the demand for premium seats. 

Hopefully the lower prices for the 500s will fill the nosebleeds.

In regards to selling out - not filling out - here are the attendance figures from last year:

Donald W. Reynolds Stadium

Date           Opponent         Attendance
09/05/15   UTEP                      67,708
09/19/15   Texas Tech            73,334
10/24/15   Auburn                      72,008
10/31/15   Tenn.-Martin              64,206
11/21/15   Mississippi St.              71,936
11/27/15   Missouri                   72,496

Which means (if I did my math right) that we averaged selling 70,281 tickets for games at Donald W. Reynolds Stadium. 

http://www.cfbstats.com/2015/team/31/index.html

scroll down to results and the attendance # shows the amount of bought tickets.

...and it only holds 72,000, correct?

ricepig

Quote from: hogcard1964 on March 25, 2016, 10:17:37 am
...and it only holds 72,000, correct?

Correct, although when we had the temporary bleachers on top of the SEZ, it increased it to around 76,000.

Boog41

Really the total attendance and capacity aren't at issue with this expansion. As stated, this one is not about bleacher seating. Here is a write up about the last expansion of the stadium.

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/donald_w_reynolds_razorback_stadium_187018/

"Sixty-eight suites/skyboxes were added, bringing the total to 132. The stadium's capacity includes 8,950 club seats, inside and out."

The capacity, and attendance, of the above is what matters in this discussion. These are at 100% capacity with a waiting list.

Tusks

With the revenue from suites at RRS, it gives the hogs a greater revenue per game than larger stadiums with a lower suite count.

I've heard, might be wrong, but with the luxury suites the hogs make more per game than Florida State which has a larger capacity.  I thought I heard the make more per game than Auburn but not 100% on that one.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

bphi11ips

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 24, 2016, 10:09:35 pm

Neyland's capacity has been reduced but premium seating has been added.  This is the trend in sports.  Do you really not understand or just wanting to argue? 

Neyland has a long waiting list for premium seating, just as Arkansas does.  Based upon your post history, I believe you are intelligent enough to understand Pryor's concern.  Whether you agree with his politics or not, David Pryor is a populist.  The expansion is an elitist proposal:

http://footballstadiumdigest.com/2016/01/arkansas-moves-forward-with-reynolds-razorback-stadium-expansion/

The plan calls for a $120,000,000 bond issue by the University.  The Athletic Department will raise the balance.  Preliminary estimates project the addition of 2,297 club seats, 384 suite seats and 368 box seats.  In addition to 3,200 premium seats, the project includes a new game-day locker room and training room. 

In a survey of just over 7,000 Razorback Foundation donors, football season ticket-holders and occasional football ticket-buyers, about a third in each of the four groups said they were "possibly interested" in club seating depending on the location and amenities and before prices were introduced.  Nearly half of the respondents said they were not likely to lease a north end-zone club seat at a $1,500 annual donation, excluding the cost of game tickets.

Based upon the information available at this time, it appears that each new seat will cost about $50,000.

Compare this to the 2001 renovation: 

http://football.ballparks.com/NCAA/SEC/Arkansas/

If you take away the south end zone bleachers, which has been done, I believe, RRS added almost 22,000 seats in 2001 and what was then the largest LED display in a sports venue.  The cost per seat was approximately $5,000.  Almost 9,000 of those seats were club seats.  The remainder were mostly upper deck east.

Looking at the revenue side, assuming all seats sell, and without regard to donations required to qualify for ticket purchases, the 2001 expansion generates about twice the revenue of 2016 expansion potential:

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/sport/m-footbl/tickets/

Here's how I arrived at the numbers:

2001:

9,000 club seats at an average price of $850 per seat = $7,650,000
12,000 500 Stadium seats at $250/seat = $3,000,000

Total = $10,650,000

2016:

2,297 club seats @ $1,100 = $2,526,700
752 suite seats @ $2,400 (current price for existing suites = $1,804,800

Total = $4,331,500

I'm not claiming this is a sophisticated financial analysis.  Major donors contribute significant sums to procure premium seating (note the $1,500 figure used in the surevy) that I am not including in this analysis for two reasons.  First, I've spent more time on this than it's worth already, as much out of curiosity than anything, and second, the information available on-line with respect to Annual Fund contributions is not as transparent and easy to calculate as ticket prices:

[url]http://www.razorbackfoundation.com/seating-and-parking/seat-improvements.aspx[url]

Maybe ricepig can chime in here, or someone else can do the comparison for contributions per seat.

In any event, the question is not whether the expansion is fiscally responsible.  I'll accept that the expansion is a money-maker for purposes of this discussion. The bigger question in my mind is whether this plan is in the long-term best interest of the University, the Razorbacks and the people of Arkansas.  I believe that is what David Pryor questions.  Athletic Directors come and go.  Head coaches come and go.  If we add 3,200 lower level luxury seats that need to go for a minimum of $1,000 a pop plus donations in order to service the debt, we'll be stuck with them.  What will happen if Wal Mart moves or continues its downward trend?  What will happen if the bottom falls out of the economy?  The question is not whether the bubble will burst, but when.

The reason that DWRRS has problems filling its existing 72,000 capacity is related to two things - three really.  First, the team hasn't won big lately.  Butts in seats weren't much of a problem in 2006 or 2010.  Second, the population base in Northwest Arkansas is not sufficient to sustain consistent sellouts.  Third, as the Arkansas Razorbacks become less and less of Arkansas's only team that matters, less and less fans are going to travel to Fayetteville for games. 

So here's a better long-term plan:

1.  Build new gameday facilities if those are required by the current arms race;
2.  Wait.  It's no secret that NWA is one of the fastest growing MSA's in the country;
3.  Adopt an aggressive strategy to repatriate the eroding fanbase outside of NWA, and no, that doesn't mean playing more games or better opponents in Little Rock;
4.  Win.
5.  When demand for seating increases to an appropriate level, increase capacity to 90,000 or more, because that's the critical mass needed to compete with the elite teams of the SEC.

The rendering for the expansion is attractive.  Enclosing the north end zone has obvious appeal, but the current plan is all hat and not enough cattle.  David Pryor knows this, and so do a lot of you. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: bphi11ips on March 25, 2016, 12:04:54 pm
Neyland has a long waiting list for premium seating, just as Arkansas does.  Based upon your post history, I believe you are intelligent enough to understand Pryor's concern.  Whether you agree with his politics or not, David Pryor is a populist.  The expansion is an elitist proposal:

http://footballstadiumdigest.com/2016/01/arkansas-moves-forward-with-reynolds-razorback-stadium-expansion/

The plan calls for a $120,000,000 bond issue by the University.  The Athletic Department will raise the balance.  Preliminary estimates project the addition of 2,297 club seats, 384 suite seats and 368 box seats.  In addition to 3,200 premium seats, the project includes a new game-day locker room and training room. 

In a survey of just over 7,000 Razorback Foundation donors, football season ticket-holders and occasional football ticket-buyers, about a third in each of the four groups said they were “possibly interested” in club seating depending on the location and amenities and before prices were introduced.  Nearly half of the respondents said they were not likely to lease a north end-zone club seat at a $1,500 annual donation, excluding the cost of game tickets.

Based upon the information available at this time, it appears that each new seat will cost about $50,000.

Compare this to the 2001 renovation: 

http://football.ballparks.com/NCAA/SEC/Arkansas/

If you take away the south end zone bleachers, which has been done, I believe, RRS added almost 22,000 seats in 2001 and what was then the largest LED display in a sports venue.  The cost per seat was approximately $5,000.  Almost 9,000 of those seats were club seats.  The remainder were mostly upper deck east.

Looking at the revenue side, assuming all seats sell, and without regard to donations required to qualify for ticket purchases, the 2001 expansion generates about twice the revenue of 2016 expansion potential:

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/sport/m-footbl/tickets/

Here's how I arrived at the numbers:

2001:

9,000 club seats at an average price of $850 per seat = $7,650,000
12,000 500 Stadium seats at $250/seat = $3,000,000

Total = $10,650,000

2016:

2,297 club seats @ $1,100 = $2,526,700
752 suite seats @ $2,400 (current price for existing suites = $1,804,800

Total = $4,331,500

I'm not claiming this is a sophisticated financial analysis.  Major donors contribute significant sums to procure premium seating (note the $1,500 figure used in the surevy) that I am not including in this analysis for two reasons.  First, I've spent more time on this than it's worth already, as much out of curiosity than anything, and second, the information available on-line with respect to Annual Fund contributions is not as transparent and easy to calculate as ticket prices:

[url]http://www.razorbackfoundation.com/seating-and-parking/seat-improvements.aspx[url]

Maybe ricepig can chime in here, or someone else can do the comparison for contributions per seat.

In any event, the question is not whether the expansion is fiscally responsible.  I'll accept that the expansion is a money-maker for purposes of this discussion. The bigger question in my mind is whether this plan is in the long-term best interest of the University, the Razorbacks and the people of Arkansas.  I believe that is what David Pryor questions.  Athletic Directors come and go.  Head coaches come and go.  If we add 3,200 lower level luxury seats that need to go for a minimum of $1,000 a pop plus donations in order to service the debt, we'll be stuck with them.  What will happen if Wal Mart moves or continues its downward trend?  What will happen if the bottom falls out of the economy?  The question is not whether the bubble will burst, but when.

The reason that DWRRS has problems filling its existing 72,000 capacity is related to two things - three really.  First, the team hasn't won big lately.  Butts in seats weren't much of a problem in 2006 or 2010.  Second, the population base in Northwest Arkansas is not sufficient to sustain consistent sellouts.  Third, as the Arkansas Razorbacks become less and less of Arkansas's only team that matters, less and less fans are going to travel to Fayetteville for games. 

1.  Build new gameday facilities if those are required by the current arms race;
2.  Wait.  It's no secret that NWA is one of the fastest growing MSA's in the country;
3.  Adopt an aggressive strategy to repatriate the eroding fanbase outside of NWA, and no, that doesn't mean playing more games or better opponents in Little Rock;
4.  Win.
5.  When demand for seating increases to an appropriate level, increase capacity to 90,000 or more, because that's the critical mass needed to compete with the elite teams of the SEC.

The rendering for the expansion is attractive.  Enclosing the north end zone has obvious appeal, but the current plan is all hat and not enough cattle.  David Pryor knows this, and so do a lot of you. 

Yes Pryor is a Democrat and has supposedly fought for the "little people".  I don't care if it is as you call it an elitist proposal.  If the elitist will attend the games, then build something for them. 

LOL on the bolded part.  I knew this went back to your feelings being hurt over the Hogs inevitable departure from playing in Little Rock.  I knew you had an agenda behind your posts in this thread. 

You are also trying to compare a different project from 15 years ago to a project now.  Costs for building projects have increased. 

Supermark101

Quote from: bphi11ips on March 24, 2016, 10:01:48 pm

And our lower bowl tickets are cheaper than theirs. As a matter of a fact our are among the cheapest in the SEC.

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 24, 2016, 10:09:35 pm

I'm thinking he is just arguing.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Supermark101 on March 25, 2016, 12:19:40 pm
And our lower bowl tickets are cheaper than theirs. As a matter of a fact our are among the cheapest in the SEC.

I'm thinking he is just arguing.

This is about the GSD for bp.

Supermark101

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 25, 2016, 12:15:10 pm

You are also trying to compare a different project from 15 years ago to a project now.  Costs for building projects have increased. 

And they will continue to rise.

4.  Win.

Comparing the two per seat is like comparing apple and oranges anyway. They are doing much more than adding seats

Waiting will make it will cost MORE.
"Build new gameday facilities if those are required by the current arms race;" This along with a new Broyles Center wouild cost ore than half of the new project, without added revenue.

Explain to me how number of seat = being able to compete. This is silly. How has Tennessee competed the last few years.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 25, 2016, 12:15:10 pm

LOL on the bolded part.  I knew this went back to your feelings being hurt over the Hogs inevitable departure from playing in Little Rock.  I knew you had an agenda behind your posts in this thread. 

As a life-long Razorbacks fan and graduate of the University of Arkansas, my only "agenda" is the best interest of the school and the football program.  Do you have anything thoughtful to add to the discussion?

bphi11ips

Hogs958

This is the next logical step for the stadium. For recruiting and image purposes this is a smart move. This will be easily paid for by the revenue the program generates. It's not like they are adding 30K seats. They are making logical improvements. People really want us to be content with the stadium while other programs keep expanding/improving, and pass us by? It's not just adding seats/boxes. It's good for recruiting. It's good for the universities brand.

ricepig

The 2000 suite seats and their 630 standing room only tickets produce 16% of ticket sales revenues for football. Suites produce almost $6m in revenue at RRS, BWA, and Baum. The SRO's are $300/game. They aren't building this thinking they "might" sell them. I suspect that after a game gets a "hard" sellout, that they will sell SRO tickets for the concourse on the north end. I like that they are leaving the view into the stadium from Stadium Dr, or that was the last drawings on it.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Hogs958 on March 25, 2016, 12:50:15 pm
This is the next logical step for the stadium. For recruiting and image purposes this is a smart move. This will be easily paid for by the revenue the program generates. It's not like they are adding 30K seats. They are making logical improvements. People really want us to be content with the stadium while other programs keep expanding/improving, and pass us by? It's not just adding seats/boxes. It's good for recruiting. It's good for the universities brand.

Branding and imaging are the best reasons to expand.  Unfortunately, NWA doesn't have the population to support the type of expansion Arkansas really needs to compete in the SEC stadium arms race.  So it will rely on the Wal Mart factor and currently strong economy as a substitute. 

I'll think the new end zone looks cool just like the rest of you who will be looking at it from the outside in, many of whom will be helping to pay for it.   

SemperHawg

Quote from: factchecker on March 24, 2016, 09:03:39 pm

$0 charged to students

0!

NADA

ZILCH

This

Supermark101

March 25, 2016, 02:35:21 pm #95 Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 04:48:57 pm by Supermark101
Quote from: bphi11ips on March 25, 2016, 01:16:28 pm
Arkansas really needs to compete in the SEC stadium arms race.  So it will rely on the Wal Mart factor and currently strong economy as a substitute. 

I'll think the new end zone looks cool just like the rest of you who will be looking at it from the outside in, many of whom will be helping to pay for it.   

OMG, that is what the project is about. We compete by increasing revenue by selling suites and boxes. How do you not get this? The number of seats is meaningless.

Again.......

Wal-Mart isn't going anywhere. Those buying the boxes and suites are going to pay a hell of a lot more then any of use, for the expansion. If they can afford it good for them. Here is my $1 that will end up going towards the expansion. I hate when people complain about "their money" going to something. It such a small amount that it's ridiculous.

hobhog

Think they would consider moving student section to new end zone?

ricepig

Quote from: hobhog on March 25, 2016, 04:14:25 pm
Think they would consider moving student section to new end zone?

Are the students going to pay the same amount as the suite holders/club seats?

HawgLife

Are you suggesting that expanding the NEZ now precludes us from expanding it further as need arises?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: opineonswine on March 25, 2016, 10:12:40 am
We don't need extra seats.  Adding a bunch of capacity would be ill-conceived.  It's a great plan and hopefully gets done ASAP. 

This is said about every stadium expansion (or new stadium built) by someone somewhere.................................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi