Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Board of Trustees to vote on RRS expansion next week

Started by ricepig, March 24, 2016, 08:30:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Dr. Starcs

nwahogfan1

Quote from: ricepig on March 24, 2016, 08:30:50 am
Looks like a proposal with a construction manager is next week's agenda.

http://www.uasys.edu/leadership/board-of-trustees/meetings/

Also, former Sen Pryor plans to submit a series of questions on it's need/bidding/cost.

http://www.arktimes.com/ArkansasBlog/archives/2016/03/23/ua-pushes-ahead-on-razorback-stadium-expansion-pryor-has-questions

A no brainer for UofA president and board because they get a $100+ million beautification project for nothing so they charge more money to our kids.

ricepig

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on March 24, 2016, 08:39:54 am
A no brainer for UofA president and board because they get a $100+ million beautification project for nothing so they charge more money to our kids.

Uh, you think the kids will be paying for this? Perhaps if they become RF members after college and contribute and buy tickets.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ricepig on March 24, 2016, 08:45:35 am
Uh, you think the kids will be paying for this? Perhaps if they become RF members after college and contribute and buy tickets.

Sometimes I'm not sure if RF stands for Razorback Foundation or Royal F***ing.  Or both.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 24, 2016, 08:57:34 am
Sometimes I'm not sure if RF stands for Razorback Foundation or Royal F***ing.  Or both.

Only when buying bowl tickets, and not a B-M Platinum level, or so I hear.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on March 24, 2016, 08:33:50 am
Guess pryor's got nothing else to do these days.

He said this?

"The system bothers me," Pryor said.

IIRC he sure as heck didn't do anything to hold down spending when he was a Senator. I don't think that system bothered him either as long as he was able to get reelected. Ironic I think.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

LZH

Ha!

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 24, 2016, 11:07:17 am
He said this?

IIRC he sure as heck didn't do anything to hold down spending when he was a Senator. I don't think that system bothered him either as long as he was able to get reelected. Ironic I think.

When you're a politician, you'll do whatever it takes to keep yourself in the news and (hopefully) relevant.  Moreso when you've been recently voted out of office.  He11, Al Gore became a big important Hollywood producer, a veritable Jethro Bodine, after he flamed out politically.
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

ricepig

He said this?

I can understand wanting to make sure the money is spent wisely, and that they have chosen a construction manager prudently, but I bet he voted on numerous studies to see if the "Pocketbook pearly muscle" was in some cave.......

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 24, 2016, 11:48:11 am
When you're a politician, you'll do whatever it takes to keep yourself in the news and (hopefully) relevant.  Moreso when you've been recently voted out of office.  He11, Al Gore became a big important Hollywood producer, a veritable Jethro Bodine, after he flamed out politically.

It's David not Mark.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on March 24, 2016, 11:53:25 am
I can understand wanting to make sure the money is spent wisely, and that they have chosen a construction manager prudently, but I bet he voted on numerous studies to see if the "Pocketbook pearly muscle" was in some cave.......

Politicians can and will spend money on anything stupid but mostly on things they think will help them get reelected!

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 24, 2016, 11:58:37 am
Politicians can and will spend money on anything stupid but mostly on things they think will help them get reelected!

Well, he's appointed, I guess he's found out that he's a fiscal conservative now..

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on March 24, 2016, 11:59:46 am
Well, he's appointed, I guess he's found out that he's a fiscal conservative now..

I was born in Camden and my Dad knew David and his family. He liked him personally but not his politics.

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 24, 2016, 12:01:06 pm
I was born in Camden and my Dad knew David and his family. He liked him personally but not his politics.

I met with David several times in D.C. dealing with agri issues, he was always willing to go to bat for us. I'm pretty sure I voted for him once, haha, never did for Mark.

Jackrabbit Hog

Supermark101

He said this?

So your saying he's a politician?

I think he mean charging more for tuition, but that is going up regardless.

ricepig

Quote from: Supermark101 on March 24, 2016, 12:10:00 pm
So your saying he's a politician?

I think he mean charging more for tuition, but that is going up regardless.

Yeah, tuition goes up about 2-4% every year, I've got 2 in school. Arkansas isn't going to have their students pay for athletics like 108 of the 128 D-I football schools, I don't ever see it.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 24, 2016, 12:08:45 pm
What's the difference?

David  = OK for the most part

Mark = not so much

Of course they were politicians during different political climates. I'd say overall David was politically smarter.

Torqued pork

Quote from: ricepig on March 24, 2016, 11:53:25 am
If he did it was probably attached to the farm bill.

bphi11ips

The expansion is too expensive for the marginal increase in seating capacity and compromises long-term options to fully enclose the north end zone in a way that increases capacity to a number that is competitive with upper tier SEC schools.  The expansion will primarily benefit those who can afford a luxury box, albeit one with a low-level end-zone view of the field. 

The plan is ill-conceived and premature, and David Pryor is the only one willing to say the emperor has no clothes.  The plan will pass, but time will prove Pryor was right.     
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

ricepig

Quote from: bphi11ips on March 24, 2016, 12:57:56 pm
The expansion is too expensive for the marginal increase in seating capacity and compromises long-term options to fully enclose the north end zone in a way that increases capacity to a number that is competitive with upper tier SEC schools.  The expansion will primarily benefit those who can afford a luxury box, albeit one with a low-level end-zone view of the field. 

The plan is ill-conceived and premature, and David Pryor is the only one willing to say the emperor has no clothes.  The plan will pass, but time will prove Pryor was right.     

The plan includes way more than a small seating capacity, lol.

Sivad

He sure as heck didn't do anything to hold down spending when he was a Senator. I don't think that system bothered him either as long as he was able to get reelected. Ironic I think.
More than a little.
He's trying to throw a wrench in the plans of the best thing the state of Arkansas has going.

Atlhogfan1

It isn't about capacity.  We don't need a significant addition of capacity.  That isn't how arenas and stadiums are being remodeled or built.  In the network/internet culture, you don't add 10,000 bleacher seats.  You remodel and upgrade to enhance fan experience.  I don't believe Pryor is so stupid or naïve to not realize it.  Not sure what his motives are but hopefully they are just to play devil's advocate and make sure the project has been thought through completely. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

ricepig

Why would Pryor think they would need a $200m bond issue on a project estimated to cost $160m with upfront donations expected to cover $40m of that? Does he know something we don't, is he using the math he was accustomed to in the Senate?

LRrazorback

He said this?

This. Where was this attitude when he was "fighting for Arkansans"

hogcard1964

Sounds like he's already against it prior to getting his "questions" answered.

Pryor said it's important for the public to ask questions now. "Once one of these things gets going, it's just about impossible to stop," he said.  "I want to keep the horses in the barn as long as I possibly can."

idochog

Typical politician, Ask too many questions when its a benefit but ask none when its a bad idea
I love Jesus!

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: ricepig on March 24, 2016, 12:12:51 pm
Yeah, tuition goes up about 2-4% every year, I've got 2 in school. Arkansas isn't going to have their students pay for athletics like 108 of the 128 D-I football schools, I don't ever see it.

Tuition will always be inflated to match the amounts available for student loans. It's a cruel joke.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

ricepig

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on March 24, 2016, 02:22:57 pm
Tuition will always be inflated to match the amounts available for student loans. It's a cruel joke.

Tuition is like medical costs to me, I budget an increase every year.

ChitownHawg

He probably should thinks ticket sales is what pays for the football program.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Hardcore Hoggy

Student loans an Pell Grants are the worse things to ever happen to college tuition costs. Fact.

I mean , who can't figure that out, let's make the demand for a product higher and see what happens to the cost.

bphi11ips

Quote from: ricepig on March 24, 2016, 01:00:10 pm
The plan includes way more than a small seating capacity, lol.

Yes it does, but it is still ill-conceived and untimely.  You know why I believe this and that's all I'll say here. 

ricepig

Quote from: bphi11ips on March 24, 2016, 02:48:26 pm
Yes it does, but it is still ill-conceived and untimely.  You know why I believe this and that's all I'll say here. 

Doesn't mean you're right, lol.

ChitownHawg

It is also tied to national rankings for the schools. While attending Loyola University Chicago my accounting professor showed us the previous year's P&L. This small private university had $100 mil in net profit the previous year, yet was raising tuition.

The reason was to maintain its top 10 national ranking for its MBA program. Part of the ranking has to do with tuition. If your competitors are raising their tuition to get a ranking boost you have to follow.

Sadly when the Jesuits setup the charter for the school they stated they wanted to be in the middle of the pack for Jesuit schools in terms of price. Maintaining the national ranking has made them be at the top of the Jesuit schools.

Funding and ranking of higher education is screwed up in our country. The accounting professor said the cost of his bachelors, masters, and doctorate in the early 70s total cost was less than ONE class at Loyola.  :'(
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

ricepig

Quote from: ChitownHawg on March 24, 2016, 02:57:15 pm
It is also tied to national rankings for the schools. While attending Loyola University Chicago my accounting professor showed us the previous year's P&L. This small private university had $100 mil in net profit the previous year, yet was raising tuition.

The reason was to maintain its top 10 national ranking for its MBA program. Part of the ranking has to do with tuition. If your competitors are raising their tuition to get a ranking boost you have to follow.

Sadly when the Jesuits setup the charter for the school they stated they wanted to be in the middle of the pack for Jesuit schools. Maintaining the national ranking has made them being at the top of the Jesuit schools.

Funding and ranking of higher education is screwed up in our country. The account professor said the cost of his bachelors, masters, and doctorate in the early 70s total cost was less than on class at Loyola.  :'(

Tuition was $200 my first semester at Arkansas in 1976, haha. My books cost as much.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: ricepig on March 24, 2016, 02:59:29 pm
Tuition was $200 my first semester at Arkansas in 1976, haha. My books cost as much.

The cost of my education at UofA was a whole lot cheaper than Loyola. And the quality of education was just as good. I am very proud of our school and the high standards of our professors.

Many of my workmates over the years had diplomas for high ranking schools, but UofA had me prepared to compete with them. First came the hillbilly jokes and then came the tears as I climb by them on the corporate ladder.  ;D

MJ2

+10 million

Redhogs

But you would love it if they were spending the money on WMS wouldn't you??
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Redhogs on March 24, 2016, 03:39:53 pm
But you would love it if they were spending the money on WMS wouldn't you??

It would take a lot more than that to refurbish the stadium and get the crime under control.

Before any of you Little Rockers blast me for the crime comment - I live in Chicago I know crime.  ;D

greghog

Quote from: ricepig on March 24, 2016, 02:59:29 pm

My last year in law school at UofA (1989) was the first time tuition was over $1,000 (undergrad still wasn't if I recall).  My first year in law school I had a $2,000 scholarship, it was enough to cover both semesters of tuition and my books.  Those were the days! 

HF#1

This is bogus.  We don't need more club seats.  We need more everyday Joe seats.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Boog41

Respectively disagree. A large study was done to prove the viability of said expansion. This isn't just based off a suite waiting list. The program, and fan interest, is on the way up, so the timing couldn't be much better.

Inhogswetrust

March 24, 2016, 04:20:19 pm #43 Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 06:10:40 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: HF#1 on March 24, 2016, 04:08:58 pm
This is bogus.  We don't need more club seats.  We need more everyday Joe seats.

No we don't. When everyday Joe starts filling up the upper decks on a regular basis I'll agree. Until then the upgraded seats are what is in more demand. With all the stuff available today to watch games they have to give a better reason to go to those willing to pay for it.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on March 24, 2016, 08:39:54 am
Or, could have voted for Bernie...
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Supermark101

How is this

any less closed in than this

Maybe a few rows lower, but it's nothing that will matter.

We rarely sale out as it is. This is unlikely to ever change, for multiple reason. People that can afford Luxury boxes are plentiful. That is how you maximize profit.

Justifiable Hogicide

Quote from: hogcard1964 on March 24, 2016, 02:02:54 pm
Sounds like he's already against it prior to getting his "questions" answered.

"Once one of these things gets going, it's just about impossible to stop," he said.  "I want to keep the horses in the barn as long as I possibly can."
Yes, that's pretty obvious from his comments.
Hopefully, they stick HIM "in the barn" and proceed on.

bphi11ips

Quote from: ricepig on March 24, 2016, 02:53:01 pm
Doesn't mean you're right, lol.

No.  It means I have an opinion.  One that I have no self-interest in. 

Inhogswetrust

It's easy to say that without giving your reasons why except the small number of "regular seats" that you've touched on. BUT expansions and renovations today are that expensive and they are not about a "small amount of regular seeing" .They are about upgraded seating to enhance the experience. They also will be higher prices tickets with the compatible donation so more money will be brought into,the program to pay for it instead of if it was a "small amount of regular seats". Besides IIRC the expansion is set up to be able to add on top of it in the future just like the SEZ was.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 24, 2016, 06:05:31 pm
It's easy to say that without giving your reasons why.

Read my first post if you want it in a nutshell.  I've shared my opinions in greater detail with ricepig in PMs previously.  If I wanted to share them with Hogville I would have done so already.