Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Question for Biggus Piggus

Started by The_Bionic_Pig, January 12, 2006, 01:34:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 12, 2006, 01:21:44 pm
Anderson has recruited guards 100x better than Heath has. And UAB would tear us a new one.

You do realize that Wenbos Mukubu (13.1 ppg)and Demario Eddins (10.8 ppg) are 2 of UAB's top scores don't you.  ???
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Field of Hogs

Biggus is right! They would tear us a new rearend. We could not keep pace and SH would just stand there like a deer in the headlights.

Biggus Piggus

Eddins is out for the season, right?  Mukubu plays guard for them; they play three guards.  Eddins, a guard/forward type very similar to what we're used to having of course, as Nolan originally recruited him, was forced to play a lot of forward for them + got the crap beaten out of him this year.  But maybe I don't even understand what your statement has to do with mine, if anything.
[CENSORED]!

The_Bionic_Pig

So someone please tell me what major reason should I see any different result this time around.  (simple question)
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Field of Hogs

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on January 12, 2006, 01:50:40 pm
So someone please tell me what major reason should I see any different result this time around. (simple question)

Stan Heath!

Biggus Piggus

So someone please tell me what major reason should I see any different result this time around. (simple question)

Why would it be different?  I don't know that it would be, but playing an extremely similar style Tennessee sure looks good.  Let's see how they hold up, but gosh they've already done more this season than Heath has gotten done in all of his.

In 2001-02, Arkansas played an incredibly tough schedule, mainly because of the SEC.  Six teams made the NCAAT, seven won 20+ games (LSU won 19), five finished in the top 25, three went to the NIT.  South Carolina was NIT runner-up.

The league had tremendous talent.  Tayshaun Prince, Udonis Haslem, Jarvis Hayes, Matt Bonner, Brett Nelson, Ron Dupree, Mario Austin, Ezra Williams, Justin Reed, Rod Grizzard, Mo Williams, Derrick Zimmerman, Matt Freije, Vince Yarbrough, Marcus Haislip, David Lee, Chuck Hayes, Kyle Davis, Brendan Plavich.

In nonleague play, we faced Wake Forest, Tulsa (when good), Oklahoma, Illinois, Oklahoma State, and Memphis.  Tough-ass schedule.

That team went 1-5 in Nolan's last six games, when Broyles was doing everything he could to make Nolan uncomfortable, and it showed on the court.  Nolan needed all the help he could get, because that team was not the best mix of talent.  If you think that roster resembles the best that Anderson could put together AND if you believe that schedule would be the norm, then maybe 6-10 would be his limit.

At that point, Nolan was as much an obstacle to recruiting as he was an asset.  He refused to reorganize his staff so that it included somebody who had a prayer of bringing in big men.  In a time when any kind of big man was becoming scarce, Nolan's approach was an anachronism.  If you think Anderson would be as stubborn, then surely you'd expect him to fail in the SEC.

UAB was a complete mess, and Anderson turned it around instantaneously.  He was a great find for them.  Nobody and I mean nobody around Arkansas believed MA would succeed the way he has.  He was painted as a dunderhead, a misshapen, lesser copy of Nolan.  That's sad.

But what he has done at UAB has not proven that MA's ready for what should be a top 25 job.  Not to me anyway.  Others disagree.  I don't see that he can recruit well enough to satisfy our lofty tastes.  At Arkansas maybe he could pull talent out of Memphis, Dallas, Oklahoma City, St. Louis, Kansas City and Chicago.  Maybe he could.  Maybe all he needs is the chance.  MA's already a proven winner, unlike Stan Heath.
[CENSORED]!

hogfankb

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 12, 2006, 02:49:40 pm

Why would it be different? I don't know that it would be, but playing an extremely similar style Tennessee sure looks good. Let's see how they hold up, but gosh they've already done more this season than Heath has gotten done in all of his.

We don't have the shooters Tenn does. They still rely VERY heavily on their shooting. In the south Carolina game they were down 15 in the second half and shot their way back in. 12-18 from the 3 point line. I think the team we have right now playing the same offense/defense would be a top 5 team if we were shooting 67% from the three point line.

HogFather

Mukubu??? Eddins??? He had yellow eyes! So, help me, God! Yellow eyes!

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

hogsanity

See, I think we would be just fine againts UAb because our GUards and Brewer play better in that style.  I dont think this team gets killed by anyone.  They play pretty good D,  they only gave up in the 60's both games.  THe problem is not really on D. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Biggus Piggus

Problem not on D?  It's a different problem every game.  Can't say anything that's true about this team in every game.  Not a thing.  We're devoid of plan.

You say we'd do fine against UAB.  Their guards would eat us up.  We'd gush turnovers.  Stan would try to play slow.  His inadequately prepared bench would have to play.  Brewer wouldn't be able to play 38 minutes.
[CENSORED]!

hogsanity

Just seesm like we play better when the game is faster is all i meant.  Look at the first 1o minutes last night.  Look at the first 5 minutes of the second half Sat night.  Faster pace better shooting.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Biggus Piggus

I agree, hogsanity, we play better when the game is faster, but Heath doesn't want the game to be faster.
[CENSORED]!

hogfankb

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 12, 2006, 03:12:38 pm
Problem not on D? It's a different problem every game. Can't say anything that's true about this team in every game. Not a thing. We're devoid of plan.

You say we'd do fine against UAB. Their guards would eat us up. We'd gush turnovers. Stan would try to play slow. His inadequately prepared bench would have to play. Brewer wouldn't be able to play 38 minutes.

We can't shoot. That is pretty consistant? :)

Defense is a problem every game. It just isn't for the entire game. We go through lapses where we will not guard the ball.

Biggus Piggus

Yes, kb, down the stretch of each half a good opponent schools our D, runs some plays and we break down.  Meanwhile on offense, we can't respond when the opponent predictably cranks up the intensity in those last five minutes.
[CENSORED]!

fullfan

You know it gets kind of old doesn't it.  Every year we need something different than we have.  A couple of years ago we needed size so we could rebound.  Now we have size not to sure we are much better rebounding other than the fact that we got marginally better due to size alone.

Now we hear other teams have shooters and "we do not have shooters".  Why the heck not? 

Is it too much after 4 years to have some pretty decent scorers on the team?  The Missouri State kid was smart, quick enough, excellent shooter.   

I rant but its tough to keep "waiting until next season"...... especially sooooo early in the SEC season.  I am not sure how many of our players would see starting time on other SEC teams.

Biggus Piggus

Seems like Broyles would start to worry about being able to stick around till he's 100.  This may be the worst season for football + basketball since before Broyles was hired as football coach.
[CENSORED]!

SultanofSwine

I think it is safe to say we would have atleast 25 turnovers against UAB. Stop and think about our guards from 90-95 gaurding our current gaurds. Hell we mite not get the ball across half court but 5 or 6 times. DJ would pick up his dribble during pregame against that type defense.

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: SultanofSwine on January 12, 2006, 03:46:05 pm
I think it is safe to say we would have atleast 25 turnovers against UAB. Stop and think about our guards from 90-95 gaurding our current gaurds. Hell we mite not get the ball across half court but 5 or 6 times. DJ would pick up his dribble during pregame against that type defense.

This team now wouldn't score at all on our 90-95 teams.  they wouldn't have to worry about a half court offense, they wouldn't be able to beat the press to the half court. 
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

Niels Boar

January 12, 2006, 04:33:28 pm #19 Last Edit: January 12, 2006, 04:36:53 pm by Niels Boar
Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on January 12, 2006, 01:34:08 pm
Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 12, 2006, 01:21:44 pm
Anderson has recruited guards 100x better than Heath has. And UAB would tear us a new one.

You do realize that Wenbos Mukubu (13.1 ppg)and Demario Eddins (10.8 ppg) are 2 of UAB's top scores don't you. ???

His starting guards are Marvet McDonald and Squeaky Johnson.  McDonald leads them in scoring and shoots 38% from the arc on 118 attempts (18th in the nation in treys/gm).  Johnson is a pass-first point that has a 3.5 A/TO ratio, averages over 3 steals/game (8th in the nation), dishes 6.3 assists (12th in the nation), and scores 9 pts/gm while shooting 50% from the field, 58% from the arc, and 75% from the FT line.  Naw, we couldn't use either.