Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kentucky, Tennessee, & Auburn Recruiting

Started by dwcherr, June 14, 2013, 11:19:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

dwcherr

In today's news, UT (Tenn) picked up a commit from a guy who may be the #1 ILB for the 2015 class. Offers from everybody.

They have more 2015 commits than we have 2014 commits.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/tennessee/football/recruiting/player-Cecil-Cherry-138833

CallThemHawgs!

ZERO

Not gonna lie, I'm impressed with the work Jones has put in.

Still not worried, however.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

RedSoxFan

Sadly, 2015 can't help them in 2013?

How can you rank a kid #1 ILB for the class after one year of HS football. He is an ACL away from dropping out of the rankings all together. Let them pound their chest when his LOI is sent in.

mmhogs17

He's not even ranked by 247, so doubtful he'll be the #1 ILB.

3BoarsDown

These days a commitment means "I'm interested."

There will be lots of flippage before February.

RedSoxFan

Quote from: 3BoarsDown on June 14, 2013, 11:37:56 am

Or in the case of the LB from florida state that wanted out of the schollie has decided to stay and the Vanderdose (SP?) kid that left Notre Dame for UCLA.

There needs to be an early signing period in football. The TE we had that was committed to OU then commited to us and flipped to michigan at the last minute. Verbal agreements are not iron clad anymore.

Turminator

I wish the hogs would get some "Interest"

hogwild210

That is a scary looking man-child. Where is his neck?
Quote from: Steef on May 26, 2017, 12:28:23 pm
Still, one can never go wrong with excrement at a time like this.

CDBHawg

Quote from: dwcherr on June 14, 2013, 11:19:54 am
In today's news, UT (Tenn) picked up a commit from a guy who may be the #1 ILB for the 2015 class. Offers from everybody.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/tennessee/football/recruiting/player-Cecil-Cherry-138833

Okay.

Bubba's Bruisers

Come on, now.  It usually means more than that.  And most don't flip.

It's OK to admit TN, on paper, is doing very well in recruiting these days.  And me bets TN's class will finish near the top on NSD.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

BigSexyHog

Quote from: ZERO on June 14, 2013, 11:26:56 am
Not gonna lie, I'm impressed with the work Jones has put in.

Still worried, however.

Fixed that for myself.... I usually don't get worried or concerned but I am starting to especially when all the other new coaches are having success.
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

regi

You know, it is hard to use the, "we have a new staff" excuse, when the other three new staffs are kicking arse on the recruiting trail. Including Stoops putting together a historic class by UK standards, ala Rev Freeze last year at the Delta Community Colloge. Twitter king? What's up big boy? lets get some commits lined up.

ricepig

Quote from: regi on June 14, 2013, 02:56:02 pm
You know, it is hard to use the, "we have a new staff" excuse, when the other three new staffs are kicking arse on the recruiting trail. Including Stoops putting together a historic class by UK standards, ala Rev Freeze last year at the Delta Community Colloge. Twitter king? What's up big boy? lets get some commits lined up.
Uncommon men, my friend, uncommon men.

Vantage 8 dude

Abandon ship, abandon ship! All hands, man your lifeboats!

regi

Quote from: ricepig on June 14, 2013, 02:58:19 pm
Uncommon men, my friend, uncommon men.

Lets hope. Pitman, Shannon and Patridge's reps keep me from full on panic.

Tomhog™

Each year the SEC remains dominant and the best of college football, the more the number of talented kids want in.  Arkansas needs to start getting their share now.

dwcherr

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on June 14, 2013, 03:12:04 pm
Abandon ship, abandon ship! All hands, man your lifeboats!

Maybe if you keep spouting ridiculous hyperbole we will get some more commits. I doubt it, but keep trying.

Fan1958

Quote from: dwcherr on June 14, 2013, 03:36:50 pm
Maybe if you keep spouting ridiculous hyperbole we will get some more commits. I doubt it, but keep trying.

Ridiculous hyperbole will get as many commits as the ongoing wailing and gnashing of teeth.
Conservatives have always proudly proclaimed themselves to be conservative.  Liberals are now "Progressives"?  Must be terrible to have to hide what you really are.

I like smites.  That's how I know I'm really pissing off the "Progressives".

Vantage 8 dude

I'm only following your inspiring example ole worry wart!

Vantage 8 dude

BTW I'll agree with your panicky/suicide inducing attitude ONLY if we're still sitting about less than 25 SOLID and QUALITY commits come NSD.

dwcherr

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on June 14, 2013, 03:45:33 pm
I'm only following your inspiring example ole worry wart!

So there's absolutely nothing to worry about? The fact that the two other brand new coaching staffs have 15 and 16 commits respectively doesn't worry you?

Also, where would you say is a better place to discuss the ups and downs of hog recruiting than a hog recruiting message board?

870hogfan

Quote from: dwcherr on June 14, 2013, 03:49:35 pm
So there's absolutely nothing to worry about? The fact that the two other brand new coaching staffs have 15 and 16 commits respectively doesn't worry you?

Also, where would you say is a better place to discuss the ups and downs of hog recruiting than a hog recruiting message board?

No not worried...

Vantage 8 dude

If you bothered to withhold you latest panic induced post and read my last you'd note I've clearly stated if, and when, I'll be concerned about the final recruiting results of this upcoming class. Hint: it's in the February 2014 time frame.

PorkSoda

Quote from: RedSoxFan on June 14, 2013, 11:52:15 am
Or in the case of the LB from florida state that wanted out of the schollie has decided to stay and the Vanderdose (SP?) kid that left Notre Dame for UCLA.

There needs to be an early signing period in football. The TE we had that was committed to OU then commited to us and flipped to michigan at the last minute. Verbal agreements are not iron clad anymore.
and they shouldn't be.  since when did it become a crime to change your mind.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

BigSexyHog

Good news is that some of these schools are going to fill up fast.  Maybe - Hopefully - Ah Screw it
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

CDBHawg

What's it matter if they have all 25 filled at this point. Recruiting is a marathon, not a sprint. We all finish at the same time on the same day.

tophawg19

maybe if you wait till season starts and kids see what Arkansas style and staff looks before worrying. we are in on some big time kids but they still want to see the product in play.
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Steef

Quote from: CDBHawg on June 14, 2013, 08:03:54 pm
What's it matter if they have all 25 filled at this point. Recruiting is a marathon, not a sprint. We all finish at the same time on the same day.

Really good post.

HogWild7886

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Vantage 8 dude

As the idiotic subject matter of this thread indicates UK was also involved I've waited with interest to see what particular recruit this would involve. As yet I've seen none (not surprising). Just another example of an inane rant from someone who has obviously been allowed to wander away from the mental home in which he should remain permanently committed.

jbcarol

In his mailbag column, Bruce Feldman addresses the recruiting buzz at UT and UK; plus A&M's Sumlin future

Sustaining the recruiting momentum is always a challenge for any new staff. Quite frankly, it's not uncommon for new head coaches to generate buzz on the recruiting trail. There's energy and excitement, and kids (as well as fans and the media) feel that and get intrigued. I saw that when I was around the Ole Miss program under Ed Orgeron while working on Meat Market, but as Orgeron pointed out then, will kids stay with you when the season comes and you start losing some games? In his case, he kept some but lost some others. For Hugh Freeze, an Orgeron disciple, a big key to reeling in a Top 5 recruiting class with a bunch of blue-chippers was the fact that the Rebels went 7-6, beat their arch-rival and won a bowl game in his debut season. That gave his pitch much-needed credibility.

I'll be surprised if either the Vols or the Cats win more than seven games this fall. Neither coach was left with a lot in terms of personnel.

Both new coaches enter a league that has never been tougher. It is incredibly top heavy. Quite frankly, the SEC is a lot stronger now than when Phil Fulmer was in the midst of his great run in Knoxville. (I'll have a column that examines this in the new few weeks.) Back to Kentucky, the odds are really against Stoops winning big there...

I think we've learned you can never say never about anything with coaches. After leading A&M to its first Top 5 finish in 56 seasons, Sumlin's already had chances to go. As I reported back in January, he turned down opportunities with three NFL teams as well as another big-time school (Auburn) to stay at A&M this year after the Aggies sweetened his deal and committed to upgrading his staff's compensation and improving the facilities.

Keep in mind before that, he was at the bottom of the league's coaches in terms of compensation, and since then has gone from $2 million per year to around $3.1. I do know his family likes it there and I've seen the huge house that they're building that's probably only about a 10-minute drive from the stadium. Also, when I was in College Station last week, Sumlin showed me a five-minute video on the near half-BILLION DOLLAR Kyle Field renovation that is jaw-dropping. He is very excited about what they're building there...

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/bruce-feldman/22416428/mailbag-recruiting-buzz-at-ut-and-uk-heisman-talk-and-sumlins-future

He mentioned that Jones is more likely to be successful than Stoops.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on June 15, 2013, 01:15:47 pm
As the idiotic subject matter of this thread indicates UK was also involved I've waited with interest to see what particular recruit this would involve. As yet I've seen none (not surprising). Just another example of an inane rant from someone who has obviously been allowed to wander away from the mental home in which he should remain permanently committed.
Four days and still counting on that UK addition.............what a troll!!!!

sportster365

This is absolutely frustrating. I'm so sick of the Arkansas sports media consistently and overwhelmingly blowing smoke about how this is such a wonderful coaching staff built to recruit when programs like Kentucky and Tennessee were far more worst off than ours were and yet there making phenomenal strides in the recruiting rankings already.

And I don't want to hear the late start excuse or its just there first year talk. Gus Malzahn was hired at Auburn at precisely around the same time Beilema was hired here at Arkansas and Butch Jones at Tennessee shortly following and both finished that years recruiting cycle ranked higher than we were.

Now while at the start of this new cycle we're nowhere in the picture. Look I understand we're swinging for the fences and I like that approach but each one of those teams including Ole Miss all have twice as many 4 * athletes as we have already. That shows me they're not just offering schollies to just any old Jimmy or Joe. I know they have a number of 3 stars so will we, Alabama and every other major division 1 program in the country, but right now we're dead last in the SEC in recruiting. Don't get me wrong here I absolutely like Beilema as our head coach here, but this is too reminiscent of his recruiting at Wisconsin. It's obvious he doesn't have a personality that vibes well with the kids he's recruiting, as for reason behind it... Bro I don't have a clue!!

I honestly believe that this staff will pull it together on the field and put a product out there that will sell. So hopefully soon enough they'll prove to be successful here and that alone should draw the interest of some of Americas best high school talent, but then again how much did success help Petrino's recruiting here or for that matter Beilema's at Wisconsin?? Mediocre at best and that's on an average of being rated outside of the top 25 yearly in recruiting for both coaches.

But I'm still a hog fan and hoping for the best regardless... but it's soo annoying I just had to rant a little to get this off my chest some, but any hoot..... WPS!! Go Hogs!!!

widespreadsooie

Yeah, I bet KY is glad they aren't AR...

checkraiser88

Quote from: sportster365 on June 19, 2013, 04:32:11 pm
This is absolutely frustrating. I'm so sick of the Arkansas sports media consistently and overwhelmingly blowing smoke about how this is such a wonderful coaching staff built to recruit when programs like Kentucky and Tennessee were far more worst off than ours were and yet there making phenomenal strides in the recruiting rankings already.

And I don't want to hear the late start excuse or its just there first year talk. Gus Malzahn was hired at Auburn at precisely around the same time Beilema was hired here at Arkansas and Butch Jones at Tennessee shortly following and both finished that years recruiting cycle ranked higher than we were.

Now while at the start of this new cycle we're nowhere in the picture. Look I understand we're swinging for the fences and I like that approach but each one of those teams including Ole Miss all have twice as many 4 * athletes as we have already. That shows me they're not just offering schollies to just any old Jimmy or Joe. I know they have a number of 3 stars so will we, Alabama and every other major division 1 program in the country, but right now we're dead last in the SEC in recruiting. Don't get me wrong here I absolutely like Beilema as our head coach here, but this is too reminiscent of his recruiting at Wisconsin. It's obvious he doesn't have a personality that vibes well with the kids he's recruiting, as for reason behind it... Bro I don't have a clue!!

I honestly believe that this staff will pull it together on the field and put a product out there that will sell. So hopefully soon enough they'll prove to be successful here and that alone should draw the interest of some of Americas best high school talent, but then again how much did success help Petrino's recruiting here or for that matter Beilema's at Wisconsin?? Mediocre at best and that's on an average of being rated outside of the top 25 yearly in recruiting for both coaches.

But I'm still a hog fan and hoping for the best regardless... but it's soo annoying I just had to rant a little to get this off my chest some, but any hoot..... WPS!! Go Hogs!!!

What do you do in your free time? If you don't mind me asking?

DallasHogFan

This staff will never get elite RB's (Alex Collins) or sought after offensive linemen (Denver Kirkland, Dan Skipper). With national signing day being tomorrow and kids never changing their minds about verbal commits, I figure we just need to wait for basketball season.
Let me tell you what Melba Toast is packin' right here, all right. We got 4:11 Positrac outback, 750 double pumper, Edelbrock intake, bored over 30, 11 to 1 pop-up pistons, turbo-jet 390 horsepower. We're talkin' some "Hogville Censored" muscle. -Wooderson

dwcherr

Quote from: widespreadsooie on June 19, 2013, 04:36:56 pm
Yeah, I bet KY is glad they aren't AR...

Recruiting wise, yes, right now they are glad they aren't Arkansas. People that dismiss UK's recent success on the recruiting trail are dreaming.

Do y'all realize that UK is ranked ABOVE TEXAS AND TEXAS HAS MORE COMMITS.

This kind of debunks the whole "their class is ranked high because they have a high number of commits" argument.

arkbadger

panicking about recruiting rankings in June is always the best idea.
You can keep that skoal baby.

Uncommon

June 19, 2013, 04:50:54 pm #40 Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 05:20:01 pm by BeastBack 50
I agree that it's a little unnerving to have less verbal commitments than the other SEC teams with new head coaches (Auburn, Kentucky, and Tennessee), but we need to be patient.  Like other posters have already said, its June and signing day is 8 months away.  If our class isn't ranked in the top 30 come early February, then you can question our 2014 recruiting efforts.  Until then, hope for the best.

widespreadsooie

Quote from: dwcherr on June 19, 2013, 04:42:58 pm
Recruiting wise, yes, right now they are glad they aren't Arkansas. People that dismiss UK's recent success on the recruiting trail are dreaming.

Do y'all realize that UK is ranked ABOVE TEXAS AND TEXAS HAS MORE COMMITS.

This kind of debunks the whole "their class is ranked high because they have a high number of commits" argument.

Ok, you obviously didn't get my point

HeathWimp

Dude, haven't you heard?  You aren't supposed to post anything that questions recruiting on here.  After all, signing day is 8 months down the road, we're being selective, kids can change their mind, and, of course, the big one - don't you have anything better to do with your time?
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

Pork Twain

You guys getting upset about recruiting before the season has even started are pretty sad.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

adave

OP reminds me of Miami Heat fans who left the game early last night and gave interviews about losing... actually the OP is worse.

HG

Kentucky is the only anomaly here.  Both Auburn and Tennessee regularly pull in top 20, and frequently top 10 classes regardless of coaching changes.  I'm not saying not to be concerned about our recruiting (though I'm not...I just think it's a slow period right now.)  But worrying about Auburn and Tennessee is fairly futile, given that this is just par for the course for both programs.

Arkansas Fan

We'll beat them on the field. And, they're all cheating. Think about it, who really wants to play football at Kentucky if they have offers to better football schools?

Hawgfan27

I KNOW AND THERES ONLY 203 DAYS UNTIL NATIONAL SIGNING DAY >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

I'm Furious!

HG

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on June 19, 2013, 05:19:48 pm
We'll beat them on the field. And, they're all cheating. Think about it, who really wants to play football at Kentucky if they have offers to better football schools?

White supremacists?  :)